PDA

View Full Version : Hey Starline, start making primers!

Four-Sixty
11-15-2020, 09:04 PM
My email to Starline...

Hello,

I wish Starline would get into the primer business.

I guess it'd take a year or two to begin production, but it would seem like producing primers would really be in your best interest.

To your advantage, your company already produces many cartridge cases. A core part of your business are reloaders, people who do need primers to. Don't you think we reloaders would be excited to buy primers direct from Starline who has a reputation for both quality, and affordable prices?

We know Starline already has extensive experience both forming and shaping brass. Your company can even nickel plate brass. So, I would expect the physical components of the primer would be no issue whatsoever from a technical standpoint for your company.

I expect the hurdle would be mixing the priming compounds, and engineering the primers. But, this is not a new technology here. There are several companies domestically, and globally producing primers. Perhaps no domestic company would want to share, or license their technology. But, I bet there is a foreign company who'd be willing to sell their technology, perhaps even produce some machines that could be used to get a production line in the US started.

If Starline were to take the steps to begin production of primers, I imagine they would compete with other ammunition manufacturers. Starline has to, though, consider that their business could always be at risk from larger ammunition manufacturers seeking to expand into the components business. So in other words, doesn't Starline face risk from inaction as well? Another benefit of being a source for primers is that Starline could also contract out their capacity to produce their primers making their partners, and consumers, happy. Win - win!

I hope you'll take the leap. The shortage of primers is absurd. Not being able to get components, and even ammo, is not healthy for the shooting sports. For too long too many of the legacy ammunition manufacturers have been poorly run, or too risk adverse. I hope Starline will explore production of primers and continue to expand their offerings to reloaders.

Sincerely,

Chris

LUCKYDAWG13
11-15-2020, 09:09 PM
That would be great if they started making primers

megasupermagnum
11-15-2020, 09:28 PM
I'd rather see them improve the quality of their handgun brass first.

Cargo
11-15-2020, 09:32 PM
I'd rather see them improve the quality of their handgun brass first.

Yes Please, you'd think new brass would have a little more consistency.

Martin Luber
11-15-2020, 10:46 PM
What troubles have you experienced with their brass?

Bazoo
11-16-2020, 12:30 AM
I bought a bag of 44 mag, some of it was below the trim to length after sizing. Maybe most don't trim revolver brass but I do, at least the first time I load it. Now I am fraid to buy any more of their pistol brass.

Beagle333
11-16-2020, 12:36 AM
I wish they would make primers too. I'd order some with every case of brass.

megasupermagnum
11-16-2020, 12:42 AM
What troubles have you experienced with their brass?

I can overlook the trim length. All the brass I've bought from them is a little shorter than the trim to length, and then gets shorter as you shoot it. It is a minor issue. The big issue is their brass hardness is way too inconsistent. You can take 2 pieces of brass from the same box, both sized, one a bullet seats in nice and light, the next you feel like you are shoving it in the wrong caliber. Same with expanding. Some expand easy, some get the expander stuck on them so bad, I've just about flipped the bench trying to get it back off.

It is unfortunate. I want to like Starline, they are a good company, but better quality brass is out there.

kevin c
11-16-2020, 01:05 AM
Is this a recent problem? My impression (from admittedly more than just a few years back) was that they made really top notch pistol brass.

Bazoo
11-16-2020, 02:31 AM
I didn't see any inconsistency with the limited starline brass I've used.

tomme boy
11-16-2020, 03:07 AM
There are other companies other than the ones you all think of that make primers. Local reloader does not use the CCI,Fed, Win, Rem primers. He gets them in a 3.5K box. They are loose not packaged like we get. He says they are not available to the general public.

Don Purcell
11-16-2020, 09:39 AM
I bought a bag of 44 mag, some of it was below the trim to length after sizing. Maybe most don't trim revolver brass but I do, at least the first time I load it. Now I am fraid to buy any more of their pistol brass.

I haven't bought any Starline .44 Magnum brass for years after I stocked up on a couple thousand but had around 80 laying loose and measured them and agree some were short as in 1.270. Some were 1.275 however I DO know they weren't from the same lot.

yovinny
11-16-2020, 10:03 AM
Explosives manufacturing holds quite a few more specialized requirements then just extruding brass cases... major ones being remote controled production machine operation, stringent secure supply storage and distance between bermed facilities and magazines... There are just Tons of hoops to jump through.
It would be much more logical for an existing explosives manufacturer to learn primer making, then a brass extruder learning explosives work.

cp1969
11-16-2020, 10:10 AM
There are other companies other than the ones you all think of that make primers. Local reloader does not use the CCI,Fed, Win, Rem primers. He gets them in a 3.5K box. They are loose not packaged like we get. He says they are not available to the general public.

I would hope they aren't available to the general public and I'm surprised they're available to anyone, packaged like that.

bishopgrandpa
11-16-2020, 10:32 AM
Handloaders are a very small piece of the pie. Before Starline or anyone else begins production of primers they will need contracts from big business.

Bent Ramrod
11-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Nice thought, of course, but...

A startup in the explosives business (especially primaries) is a major undertaking. Regulations, insurance, building and operational distance requirements, safety, training and housekeeping costs raise overheads into the ionosphere. You can’t just use anybody down at the hiring hall on your production line, either.

I remember a maker of boosters for mining explosives hired a bunch of college kids for part-time summer jobs, and bought themselves an explosion that wrecked their plant and put them out of business. And that was pretty insensitive material, nowhere near a primer composition.

When I was working, even in general hiring slumps and freezes, whenever somebody in the energetics biz retired, the drums would beat, the smoke signals would rise and the telephone wires would hum as headhunters called around for possible replacements. Anybody knowledgeable in that field is in a very rarefied specialty.

So I would say that there is no chance of Starline going into the primer business.

My pistol size brass from Starline has been confined to .32-20, .44-40 and .45 Colt. I haven’t measured, but haven’t been troubled in loading by length variations. Especially .32-20, where many batches from the major outfits are short, and all over the place in length.

Martin Luber
11-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Short is seldom an issue, too long however....bad news.

New brass can be too clean and it sticks and squeeks in the dies and has nconsistent seating and pull force. Internal and external lube is required.

BK7saum
11-16-2020, 01:51 PM
I can overlook the trim length. All the brass I've bought from them is a little shorter than the trim to length, and then gets shorter as you shoot it. It is a minor issue. The big issue is their brass hardness is way too inconsistent. You can take 2 pieces of brass from the same box, both sized, one a bullet seats in nice and light, the next you feel like you are shoving it in the wrong caliber. Same with expanding. Some expand easy, some get the expander stuck on them so bad, I've just about flipped the bench trying to get it back off.

It is unfortunate. I want to like Starline, they are a good company, but better quality brass is out there.

My perceptions were that this wasn't a hardness issue, but the new clean brass is "sticky". It can be more sticky depending on how it was handled or how the bullet was handled/treated. I have given new brass a light coat of "
one shot" and it completely fixed the seating tension variability on the first loading. On subsequent loadings, have you still seen the issue? I have not seen any of the "sticky" problem on 1x fired brass run through the vibratory tumbler with corncob. I have also run the brass through the corncob tumbler to get rid of the "sticky" problem.

cp1969
11-16-2020, 02:16 PM
I've been using Starline brass since they first opened. Never had a problem with any of it, from .32-20 on up thru .45LC. Just wish they'd start making .405 Winchester brass.

farmbif
11-16-2020, 02:26 PM
ive never run a piece of new starline brass though a sizing die or done anything else to it before loading. I have used starline brass for decades and never had a problem, but I'm just a hobbiest not a professional. I've always thought of their brass as about the best there is and at the same time the least expensive when bought direct from them.
I'm betting right about now they are more concerned with keeping up with backorders and fulfilling their stock before doing anything else like maybe adding 35 Remington or 25-20 to the line up of offerings.

444ttd
11-16-2020, 02:51 PM
i have starline's 500 linebaugh(500 pcs). of the 500 pcs, 100 pcs is all i use. i have reloaded the 100 pcs about 9 or 10 times. they were trimmed about 2 times, one was when i first got them and two it was 4 or 5 times. i also have starline's 44 spl brass (500 pcs) and they are trimmed about 3 times. the 44 spl is reloaded "i don't know , but its alot".

the 444 marlin starline brass should be good too. i have about 400-500 pcs of remington brass, so i'm good there.

i'd say starline should make a 30-40 krag, 7.65x53 arg and 30 rem(25, 30, 32 and 35 rem).

Fishman
11-16-2020, 06:43 PM
It's been 3-4 years since I've bought some Starline brass but I have used it in many handgun calibers with complete satisfaction. I've always considered Starline brass to be top shelf but I guess things could have changed.

hickfu
11-16-2020, 08:58 PM
And start making 35 Remington cases....

leadeye
11-16-2020, 09:21 PM
Getting into anything involving HAZMAT these days is a nightmare of regulation, even simple things. Explosives I would imagine are even tougher.

Mal Paso
11-16-2020, 09:25 PM
The last 2 batches of 1,000 Starline 44 Mag I bought were exactly in the middle dimension wise, length was 1.275" . The SAAMI spec is 1.285" -.020"

I agree about uneven temper in new Starline brass but that goes away when you shoot it. New diameter was good so all I did is run the flair die.

Primers is a whole other business

WOW! Just checked their site, they got NOTHING! I think they have all the business they can use right now.

megasupermagnum
11-16-2020, 09:43 PM
My perceptions were that this wasn't a hardness issue, but the new clean brass is "sticky". It can be more sticky depending on how it was handled or how the bullet was handled/treated. I have given new brass a light coat of "
one shot" and it completely fixed the seating tension variability on the first loading. On subsequent loadings, have you still seen the issue? I have not seen any of the "sticky" problem on 1x fired brass run through the vibratory tumbler with corncob. I have also run the brass through the corncob tumbler to get rid of the "sticky" problem.

Sure, clean brass can stick, but this is a problem unique to Starline, as well as a couple other's I've ran into. I did a multi-day test in 327 federal between Starline and Federal brand brass. I had a load I had worked up, even down to which primer shot best. I did a 28 shot average with each, from a rest, at 50 yards. The Starline brass shot an average 4.69". Federal brass shot 3.04". The proof is in the pudding. That was even with Starline brass I had sorted out by feel as being the most consistent seating! Federal brass was just taken from the bag.

I will say one thing, Starline makes thick and tough brass. If not overworked, it is likely to last longer than most. If it is worked, many have case splitting issues.

As for accuracy, whether it be hardness, case length, or whatever, Starline is lacking. Federal, Winchester, and Hornady handgun brass is superior. I've even had better luck with Remington, which some people hate Remington brass. I've not tried any Starline bottleneck rifle brass, but I have a hard time believing they are as good as Hornady, and certainly not even close to Norma or Lapua. I've not seen anyone switch from Lake City to Starline either.

Huskerguy
11-16-2020, 10:00 PM
Which brings me back to a question I asked someone this weekend. Why does t Hornady get into the primer business. They make everything else from components to loaded ammo. Anyone know why they don't?

Cosmic_Charlie
11-16-2020, 10:05 PM
Never had a problem with their brass. Recently bought .44 mag, .44spl., .357 and .38 spl.

kenton
11-16-2020, 10:19 PM

Does he get these?

https://zincpoint.com/ammo-components/small-pistol-primers-genix-3500-ct/

dtknowles
11-16-2020, 10:25 PM
Which brings me back to a question I asked someone this weekend. Why does t Hornady get into the primer business. They make everything else from components to loaded ammo. Anyone know why they don't?

I don't think Hornady make their own brass, primers, or powder. They buy them from others and use them with their bullets to make some of the best factory ammo you can buy. I think they have very good quality control and hold their suppliers to high standards.

Tim

jaysouth
11-16-2020, 10:48 PM
I have plenty of primers. I just wish Star Line would start making .223 brass again.

jsanch03
11-16-2020, 11:51 PM
It would be awesome if they started making 303 and 7.62x54r brass with a thicker then usual web to prevent case head separation.

megasupermagnum
11-17-2020, 12:30 AM
I don't think Hornady make their own brass, primers, or powder. They buy them from others and use them with their bullets to make some of the best factory ammo you can buy. I think they have very good quality control and hold their suppliers to high standards.

Tim

Hornady makes their own brass and bullets. That is their bread and butter. They make most of their own stuff, although I wouldn't be surprised if they have multiple plants. Powder and primers are a whole other matter. Federal is the only company I know of that makes their own primers. CCI does, but primers and rimfire is about all they do. I don't know much of the market outside of the USA, so for all I know Fiocchi or another European company does.

tomme boy
11-17-2020, 03:01 AM
Does he get these?

https://zincpoint.com/ammo-components/small-pistol-primers-genix-3500-ct/

????????? could not tell you if that was what he had.

dtknowles
11-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Hornady makes their own brass and bullets. That is their bread and butter. They make most of their own stuff, although I wouldn't be surprised if they have multiple plants. Powder and primers are a whole other matter. Federal is the only company I know of that makes their own primers. CCI does, but primers and rimfire is about all they do. I don't know much of the market outside of the USA, so for all I know Fiocchi or another European company does.

How do you know that Hornady makes their own brass. I was reading a review of a new load from Hornady and the article said the brass was made for Hornady by Norma. I am not saying you are wrong just wondering about your sources. Also I have read that some Winchester ammo is made by S&B. The head stamp on brass is not always indicative of who made the brass.

Tim

dtknowles
11-17-2020, 09:33 AM

I thought Winchester and Remington make primers for the ammo the produce in house. If not who do they get them from.

Tim

rintinglen
11-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Fourteen cents a piece? Those are pretty dear primers. 140 bucks a sleeve, if I did the math right.

RU shooter
11-17-2020, 11:58 AM
I doubt highly they will ever get into manufacturing the primers but selling primed brass might be a logical step . I believe Midway used to do that dont know if they still do or not .

kenton
11-17-2020, 07:27 PM
Fourteen cents a piece? Those are pretty dear primers. 140 bucks a sleeve, if I did the math right.

Almost $15/100 primers if you add in the hazmat shipping. Not long ago I bought loaded steel case 9mm for less that that, but supply and demand I suppose. Just glad I don't need to pay that much to have ammo on hand.

megasupermagnum
11-17-2020, 07:45 PM
How do you know that Hornady makes their own brass. I was reading a review of a new load from Hornady and the article said the brass was made for Hornady by Norma. I am not saying you are wrong just wondering about your sources. Also I have read that some Winchester ammo is made by S&B. The head stamp on brass is not always indicative of who made the brass.

Tim

I could be wrong about Remington, although now they are defunct anyway. Winchester might, but I don't really consider them truly Winchester anymore either. As for Hornady, here is a plant tour.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/hornady-plant-tour-from-raw-materials-to-finished-ammo/

reddog81
11-18-2020, 05:27 PM

CCI and Federal are owned by Vista Outdoors. Vista Outdoors also just bought out the Remington ammo line so I imagine they'll get the primer making business. That leaves Winchester as the only other US based primer manufacturer other than Vista Outdoors.

bangerjim
11-18-2020, 07:49 PM
That is like asking a lumber yard to start making steel bridge struts! Totally different industry, process, and government approvals!!!!!

It would take totally different machinery and a LOT of investment on their part.

I use a lot of their brass (38SPL,44MAG/SPL, and 45LC) and have never had a problem with the 4K of them I have used.

dtknowles
11-18-2020, 11:38 PM
CCI and Federal are owned by Vista Outdoors. Vista Outdoors also just bought out the Remington ammo line so I imagine they'll get the primer making business. That leaves Winchester as the only other US based primer manufacturer other than Vista Outdoors.

Or just shutdown the Remington primer factory and sell CCI primers with Remington label. Not right now when demand is high but after when demand slumps then next time we get a shortage there will be less production capacity.

Tim

reddog81
11-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Or just shutdown the Remington primer factory and sell CCI primers with Remington label. Not right now when demand is high but after when demand slumps then next time we get a shortage there will be less production capacity.

Tim

Hard to guess at what they'll do over time. Anything is possible... The thing that worries me is that 3 out of 4 primer brands are made by one outfit. Hopefully they keep production in separate locations to avert a complete collapse in supply should some natural disaster happen that takes a facility out of commission.

dtknowles
11-19-2020, 08:53 PM
Hard to guess at what they'll do over time. Anything is possible... The thing that worries me is that 3 out of 4 primer brands are made by one outfit. Hopefully they keep production in separate locations to avert a complete collapse in supply should some natural disaster happen that takes a facility out of commission.

I only know of three domestic primer brands, CCI, Remington, and Winchester. Isn't Federal ammo primed with CCI primers? Who is the fourth. Who's primers does Hornady use? Yeah, I too would hope they keep the Remington primer production line running but from a business point of view is seems unlikely they would keep two separate production lines running if demand was low. I know that Lake City used to make their own primers because they had an accident in the primer making area that killed a person and injured others. Now that Winchester is running Lake City, I wonder if things change there. Will the WCC head stamp go away?

Ok I just went to check and I see Federal is selling primers. Are these made on a different production line than CCI primers?

Tim

megasupermagnum
11-19-2020, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some Federal ammo uses CCI primers, but the bulk of it is Federal primers. Actually, I'm certain the Federal 16 gauge 1 oz game load uses a CCI 209 primer. Most Federal shotgun ammo uses their Federal 209A primer. That does bring up a good question though. Are CCI primers mainly built for reloaders, or are there factories that use them as well?

dtknowles
11-19-2020, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some Federal ammo uses CCI primers, but the bulk of it is Federal primers. Actually, I'm certain the Federal 16 gauge 1 oz game load uses a CCI 209 primer. Most Federal shotgun ammo uses their Federal 209A primer. That does bring up a good question though. Are CCI primers mainly built for reloaders, or are there factories that use them as well?

My question is really not about labels but about production lines. Are Federal primers and CCI primers made in different factories. I am sure that a lot of products are not made by the brands who's name is on the box. In this particular case Federal and CCI are owned by the same company and now they own the Remington primer factory. How will we know which factory made the primers in the box?

If you have loads that use a particular primer what is to stop Vista from putting CCI 400's in rem 6 1/2 boxes.

megasupermagnum
11-19-2020, 11:09 PM
My question is really not about labels but about production lines. Are Federal primers and CCI primers made in different factories. I am sure that a lot of products are not made by the brands who's name is on the box. In this particular case Federal and CCI are owned by the same company and now they own the Remington primer factory. How will we know which factory made the primers in the box?

If you have loads that use a particular primer what is to stop Vista from putting CCI 400's in rem 6 1/2 boxes.

Yes. Federal primers are made in Anoka, MN, and have been for as long I know. CCI primers are made in Lewiston, ID, and again, have been for as long as I know. Now that Vista owns Remington ammo, I suppose there is nothing stopping them from making Remington primers at the CCI plant. I really doubt they would do that, or they would have been doing crossovers with the CCI/Federal primers already. I think they know reloaders and shooters in general can be a finicky bunch. Change anything, and someone will notice.

dtknowles
11-20-2020, 12:45 AM
Yes. Federal primers are made in Anoka, MN, and have been for as long I know. CCI primers are made in Lewiston, ID, and again, have been for as long as I know. Now that Vista owns Remington ammo, I suppose there is nothing stopping them from making Remington primers at the CCI plant. I really doubt they would do that, or they would have been doing crossovers with the CCI/Federal primers already. I think they know reloaders and shooters in general can be a finicky bunch. Change anything, and someone will notice.

Thanks that is a bit reassuring as yes, we don't like being messed with. We do know that some Federal ammo is using CCI primers but for factory ammo I don't see that as a problem as much as having someone sell me CCI primers labeled as Remington primers. I was a bit PO's when I found out the Winchester ammo I bought was just relabeled S&B ammo with a Winchester head stamp. I don't really mind that some Hornady ammo uses Norma brass. I think all Weatherby ammo used Norma brass at one time. I understand it is stupid for multiple manufacturers to make brass that has little demand. I like that we have a lot of small shops that load less common rounds using Starline brass. Sometimes if you divide the pie into to many slices there really will be not pie.

Tim

Tom Myers
11-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Tim

Tim,

Many years ago, when I was driving an over the road semi, I hauled a load of copper coils into the Hornady Plant near Grand Island, Nebraska. At that time I was working for a small company that would occasionally have a hard time finding a return load form me so I carried a portable reloading kit in my truck to pass the down time.

After the coils were unloaded, I asked the dock forman if I could look around a little. I really didn't think they would let someone just wander around and was surprised when he said "Wait a minute and I'll get someone to show you around the plant".

After a short wait, a pleasant young gentleman came down to the dock and offered to take me on a short tour of the plant floor. At that time I believe they were only just manufacturing bullets as all that I observed were the units swaging cores, drawing brass, swagging bullets, polishing and packing the finished product.

Needless to say, I was facinated and made the comment that I had, in the past, used Hornady bullets to reload my Dad's 270 Remington 700 and carried a reloading kit in my truck. My guide responded "Would you like a sample of what we are producing now?". After an enthusistic "Yes!", We moved on to the packaging section and he picked up a box of 130 gr 270 and a box of 150 gr RN 270 bullets, handed them to me and said something to the effect that "These are working well for everyone".

Although I do not recall if the young gentleman introduced himself, the deference shown to him by the employes on the plant floor, led me to beleive that he was the Son of Joyce Hornady???

That was one of the highlights of my 30 odd years of trucking and, to this day, I still have a partial box of 150 gr RN bullets with the "Hornady" lable.

So yes, I believe that Hornady does manufacture, at least the majority, of the products they sell.

bpatterson84
11-21-2020, 01:26 PM
Now that is a cool story about the tour!!! Good to hear people treating curious customers to an experience like that.

As to the primers......as was said before, you don't just ramp up production of primary explosives, its asking for disaster. Of course we need more than can be produced now, but like much of the ammo industry, infrastructure is a significant cost, and takes a long time to recoup.

dtknowles
11-22-2020, 12:34 AM
Tim,

Many years ago, when I driving an over the road semi, I hauled a load of copper coils into the Hornady Plant near Grand Island, Nebraska. At that time I was working for a small company that would occasionally have a hard time finding a return load form me so I was kept a portable reloading kit in my truck to pass the down time.

After the coils were unloaded, I asked the dock forman if I could look around a little. I really didn't think they would let someone just wander around and was surprised when he said "Wait a minute and I'll get someone to show you around the plant".

After a short wait, a pleasant young gentleman came down to the dock and offered to take me on a short tour of the plant floor. At that time I believe they were only just manufacturing bullets as all that I observed were the units swaging cores, drawing brass, swagging bullets, polishing and packing the finished product.

Needless to say, I was facinated and made the comment that I had, in the past, used Hornady bullets to reload my Dad's 270 Remington 700 and carried a reloading kit in my truck. My guide responded "Would you like a sample of what we are producing now?". After an enthusistic "Yes!", We moved on to the packaging section and he picked up a box of 130 gr 270 and a box of 150 gr RN 270 bullets, handed them to me and said something to the effect that "These are working well for everyone".

Although I do not recall if the young gentleman introduced himself, the deference shown to him by the employes on the plant floor, led me to beleive that he was the Son of Joyce Hornady???

That was one of the highlights of my 30 odd years of trucking and, to this day, I still have a partial box of 150 gr RN bullets with the "Hornady" lable.

So yes, I believe that Hornady does manufacture, at least the majority, of the products they sell.

Thanks for sharing that story and I hope that no one thinks I was being critical of Hornady. I think they are a great company. I use their products and their 22 Hornet 35 gr. vmax factory ammo shoots better in my rifle than my most carefully hand loaded rounds. We know they don't make the primers and powder they use and if they get the brass from some place else no big deal either. I think the key when outsource components is quality control and holding your subs to very high standards. I still have a partial box of Hornady 180gr. 30 caliber round nose moose bullets from a time in the 80's when I was loading them in 30-06. I never won the moose lottery in Maine and rarely get back there.

Tim

leadhead
11-23-2020, 02:06 PM
Back in 1988, a buddy of mine and I went to the handgun internationals in Idaho Falls, Idaho.
He knew Steve Hornady and had set up a tour at the plant. We arrived in Grand Island
Nebraska around 8:00 o"clock in the morning, ate breakfast and went to the plant.
Toured everything in the plant...even the underground testing range. I'll never forget it.
Was one of my very best memories. It is really something to see. If you ever get the
chance to tour it.... do it.
leadhead

rockrat
11-23-2020, 06:41 PM
Wife and I did the Hornady tour a few years ago. Don't know about her, but I really enjoyed it. Drooled over the underground range too!! Unfortunately, they didn't give out bullet samples:(

Looked at the pallets of lead and told the wife I needed a pallet of the stuff, she just rolled her eyes:)

leadhead
11-23-2020, 09:26 PM
They gave me the samples from the pressure tests they did.. I still have the cartridges
with the hole punched through the side of the case, and the little copper pellet they used
to measure the pressure (CUP) copper units of pressure. They don't use that anymore.
leadhead

John Boy
11-23-2020, 09:42 PM
If you or anyone has QC issues with Starline, just pick up the phone to them and they would have made free replacements. I have never had an issue with any of their brass and I have thousands in different calibers. My wish for them is to make 25-20 brass

blue32
11-23-2020, 10:04 PM
From VSTO (Vista Outdoor) 10-Q (quarterly securities and exchange report) released 9/27/20:
"The extent and duration of this increase in demand for hunting and shooting-sports related products is uncertain."
I'm sure eyes are rolling but that's business and I seriously doubt there will be new players in the primer scene any time soon.

megasupermagnum
11-24-2020, 12:39 AM
If you or anyone has QC issues with Starline, just pick up the phone to them and they would have made free replacements. I have never had an issue with any of their brass and I have thousands in different calibers. My wish for them is to make 25-20 brass

I did call them, and they no questions asked replaced all my brass at the time. Unfortunately the new brass was just as bad. They are a great company, run by great people. I only wish they would stop trying to run the cheap price point, and at least offer a middle road option on par with many other brands.

wyowillys46
11-24-2020, 12:55 AM
Much better chance of getting an import shipment from Fiocchi, S&B, Murom, or Unis-Ginex. We can hope.