PDA

View Full Version : Need an Adjustable wrench spring

Bazoo
11-14-2020, 10:54 PM
I bought a J H Williams and Co adjustable wrench at a yardsale a spell back. After cleaning it up, well turns out it needs a spring. So my question is, a lead on a source for it.

Bazoo

metricmonkeywrench
11-14-2020, 11:11 PM
I picked up one of the spring assortment kits a while ago from the help section at one of the major auto parts stores, plenty of lengths and tensions to work with.

Winger Ed.
11-14-2020, 11:24 PM
Big local hardware stores usually have a bin/cabinet thing with hundreds of springs in it.

I've had good luck with them.
Sometimes they'll have the 'right' one, but its a little long and ya have to cut it down.

Bazoo
11-14-2020, 11:51 PM
Good ideas thanks. I never thought to look in town. First I'll see if another brand wrench sprig will fit, then I'll take it with me on the hunt. I gave next to nothing for this fine old wrench.

jimlj
11-15-2020, 11:41 AM
I was given a Williams 18" adjustable wrench that was missing the worm screw. I contacted Williams and they said send it to us and we'll fix or replace it. A few weeks later I had a new wrench. If all else fails I'd try to contact them.

Bazoo
11-15-2020, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I had not thought of trying to locate the company. I just assumed they were out of business. I'd rather have the old wrench than a new I think, if that was even a possibility.

elmacgyver0
11-15-2020, 03:52 PM
I collect springs, you never know when you may need one.
If I see a BIC lighter laying on the street I pick it up, good spring inside.
You get the picture.

Bazoo
11-16-2020, 07:48 PM
I don't collect lighter springs but I generally save all nuts and bolts and springs.