PDA

View Full Version : USPS shipping prices

abunaitoo
11-14-2020, 05:16 PM
USPS shipping prices have really gone up.
Flat rate is still a good deal, if your shipping lots of weight, or something big.
But shipping something like a set of used dies can make it to expensive.
Small FRB is $8.30. Flat Rate Envelope is $7.75.
That would make a $20.00 set of dies almost as much as a new set.
Is there a cheaper way to mail something like this???????

BigAlofPa.
11-14-2020, 05:24 PM
If the dies and package are 14oz or less. You can use parcel post.

abunaitoo
11-14-2020, 05:53 PM
Parcel post from here is a hit and miss.
Plus, from here, it's not that much of a difference in price.
Post office told me that.
They don't recommend using it.

SweetMk
11-14-2020, 06:38 PM
Yet,, the Asian country we all discuss,, can use the same USPS system,,
and ship me something from their country, to me, including the cost of the product,,
for less than USPS would charge me to mail the same item 30 miles,,,

Go figure,,

I just ordered several silicone cooking mats, to try PC'ing,, for about $4 delivered,,
they should be here in a month,,

dale2242
11-15-2020, 04:56 AM
When you buy dies online you will pay shipping.
Unless you have Amazon Prime.
At their price for Prime you still pay shipping...dale

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-15-2020, 11:36 AM
when you sell some dies, be sure to sell 2 or 3 sets, spreads the shipping cost ;)

Mal Paso
11-15-2020, 12:20 PM
and ship me something from their country, to me, including the cost of the product,,

Go figure,,

I just ordered several silicone cooking mats, to try PC'ing,, for about $4 delivered,,

The USPS loses a little on each shipment but makes up for it in volume.

If we were smart we would hire a lobbyist, then there would be someone would be representing The People of the United States.

dbosman
11-15-2020, 10:49 PM
I had to paid $8.65 for a small flat rate label recently.

Winger Ed.
11-15-2020, 11:06 PM
If we were smart we would hire a lobbyist, then there would be someone would be representing The People of the United States.

The jury is still out, but the one we had might have been fired last week.

downzero
11-15-2020, 11:08 PM
For items that are not heavy, you can use first class mail. The benefit of priority is flat rate up to 70 pounds and free packaging, but if you don't need those things, you can save money with other services.

Brokenbear
11-15-2020, 11:32 PM
Next time you take a small priority package into the post office ..ask them the cost would be for a "REGIONAL" A1 bx would cost for the same shipment you are making ..here is the hitch ..the regional box won't work if you are in Florida and trying to ship to Oregon ..I live in Missouri and can pretty well ship anywhere in the contus ..second is the local post office will NOT have REGIONAL A & B series boxes ..you have to order them from the post office in 10 r 25 packs and they are no charge ..also I believe the earlier gentleman was referring to "business 1st class" which I know cannot be be 16oz and 14oz may very well be the limit ..anyway it is good fast service ..in my case I ship a 2"X4"X6" box at 6 to 10z for about $4
Bear

tomme boy
11-16-2020, 02:45 AM
If the USPS would learn how to route their packages they would not be as far in the hole they are. Ordered a set of sights that were shipped from S Florida. They sent it to Chicago to Madison, Wis. to Kenosha, Wis. to Springfield, Ill. To Des Moines, Ia . To Milan, Ill. To Cedar Rapids, Ia. To my home in Clinton Iowa.

I get these roundy round routes ALL THE TIME! I am not the only one. The USPS is its worst enemy. They need to fire every last one of the employees and kick everyone off their pensions like every other business would do when they are going out of business.

abunaitoo
11-16-2020, 05:20 AM
Next time you take a small priority package into the post office ..ask them the cost would be for a "REGIONAL" A1 bx would cost for the same shipment you are making ..here is the hitch ..the regional box won't work if you are in Florida and trying to ship to Oregon ..I live in Missouri and can pretty well ship anywhere in the contus ..second is the local post office will NOT have REGIONAL A & B series boxes ..you have to order them from the post office in 10 r 25 packs and they are no charge ..also I believe the earlier gentleman was referring to "business 1st class" which I know cannot be be 16oz and 14oz may very well be the limit ..anyway it is good fast service ..in my case I ship a 2"X4"X6" box at 6 to 10z for about $4
Bear

I did ask about "reagional" shipping.
She told me they don't do it for us here.
I wonder what would happen if the privatize the post office???
Would it start a price war with UPS and Fedx???
Or would they all just raise the rates and get rich????

Mal Paso
11-16-2020, 09:44 AM
If I mail a letter in Big Sur, Ca to someone else in Big Sur it has to travel 204 miles to San Jose to be canceled and back. Some of that mail is lost in the process.

If you remove the T from POST OFFICE you have it right.

TribunusSanGeorgii
11-16-2020, 09:54 AM
I use PirateShip.com.

Free to use, save a little bit on the flat rate packages, but the real savings is in the non-flate rate prices.

Don't forget that anything under 1lb can ship first rate which is under $5.

*not a shill, Just want to share this shipping service which has really helped me.

abunaitoo
11-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Just checked out PirateShip.com.
Is that for business only, or can anyone use it????
Looks like a good alternative to usps.

shooterg
11-16-2020, 08:17 PM
If I send a birthday card to my neighbor here, it goes 110 miles to Greensboro and then back after sorting. Useta be the PO's had a "local" drop slot . But that made sense.

farmbif
11-16-2020, 08:26 PM
I posted a thread about this six months ago after waiting more than a month for a 3 day priority shipped die set that had to go I think it was about 600 miles. the postal service has been really screwed up this year. we can only watch and see what happens.

gschwertley
11-17-2020, 05:23 AM

Go figure,,

I wondered why that country could ship things so cheaply this direction. It has to do with old agreements set up under the Universal Postal Union. Long ago it was decided that poor countries would pay very low rates and developed countries would pay higher rates to subsidize them. But one poor country is no longer poor but still enjoys the bargain (gift) postal rates. It's a part of the insoluble balance of trade situation.

kerplode
11-17-2020, 01:33 PM
I sent a box the other day via FedEx for just a couple dollars more than it would have been for Priority Flat Rate.

It was better in every way:
The FedEx office is closer to my house
There was no line
The employees were friendly and competent
Package arrive in perfect condition in 2 days and was delivered on Sunday

Yeah, it was definitely worth that couple extra bucks...

Springfield
11-17-2020, 02:00 PM
Kerplode: Line, what line? I just leave my Priority Mail packages on my porch and the mailman picks it up. My time is worth something to me. I used fed-ex twice and both times they highly disappointed me.

kerplode
11-17-2020, 02:10 PM
Kerplode: Line, what line? I just leave my Priority Mail packages on my porch and the mailman picks it up. My time is worth something to me. I used fed-ex twice and both times they highly disappointed me.

Whoever does my route struggles to even manage to deliver stuff to the right box...I have to go across the street to exchange stuff on a regular basis. Letters mailed from my box go missing more than they should as well. So if I must deal with USPS, I go to the main PO in town.

For me, though, I have not had any significant issues with either FedEx or UPS (knock on wood).

downzero
11-17-2020, 03:50 PM
If I send a birthday card to my neighbor here, it goes 110 miles to Greensboro and then back after sorting. Useta be the PO's had a "local" drop slot . But that made sense.

It should be overnight anyway. And it does make sense for it to go to the P&DC--the machines sort it into delivery sequence.

TribunusSanGeorgii
11-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Just checked out PirateShip.com.
Is that for business only, or can anyone use it????
Looks like a good alternative to usps.

Open to anyone!

tomme boy
11-17-2020, 06:21 PM
I order stuff all the time from a company in Finland. It cost me a Flat $9.99 and is on my doorstep in 5 days. How is that? Finland is not a poor country by any means so they should not get the reduced rate by any means.