PDA

View Full Version : Planning on cast for MO deer next week

TCLouis
11-13-2020, 11:18 PM
Of course taking coated bullet rifle too.
MAYBE I can finally get one to show up when I have cast boolit in the gun.
Of course half the time it will be coated bullet in the 6.5.

NO not Creedmoor, 6.5X257.

kycrawler
11-13-2020, 11:55 PM
Mo opener tomorrow calling for heavy rain and wind. So I'm gonna take my 22-250 but when weather clears the 375 win is coming out with Lyman 375449

RKJ
11-14-2020, 06:55 AM
So far, it's not raining in central MO. I imagine it'll start pretty hard once I hit the woods.

richhodg66
11-14-2020, 07:33 AM
Of course taking coated bullet rifle too.
MAYBE I can finally get one to show up when I have cast boolit in the gun.
Of course half the time it will be coated bullet in the 6.5.

NO not Creedmoor, 6.5X257.

I have wondered about cast in 6.5 for deer hunting. I'm sure I could do it cleanly under the conditions I normally hunt, but that's getting pretty small bore and I'd want to work up a load and test it thoroughly. Smallest I've used is 7mm.

Seems like you'd want a real heavy for caliber bullet and cast it with soft noses.

white eagle
11-14-2020, 10:59 AM
good luck in hunting
I am going to take my Marlin Guide gun
in 45-70 and use a 440 gr Hoch nose poured
coated boolit and my Super Grade in 30-06 for the long range work

brstevns
11-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Want to know how your hunts turn out. I use to hunt in Wayne CO. near Greenville. I really miss those days.
I must now live thru the hunts you do. Full details and pictures. Raining here already looks as if tomorrow will be a better day here in MO, might be some wind.

RKJ
11-14-2020, 11:26 AM
Just like I said, right as soon I closed the truck door it started pouring. I'm back at the house now drying all my gear. Hoping to go back out later today, if not there's tomorrow.

RKJ
11-14-2020, 11:36 AM
White Eagle, I thought about using my GG with an MP grain FP but decided to go with the 6.5CM instead. Quite the difference between the two. :)

slownsteady22
11-14-2020, 11:46 AM
Sitting out right now (mo public land gotta stick it out for any chance)
Rain has stopped for the most part, hopefully i get a chance to use my 45 70 385 grain powder coated cast bullet.
Good luck to the other hunters and be safe

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yooper003
11-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Here in the UP the opening for firearm deer is tomorrow & theforcast is for rain in the morning , turning to snow around noon. I will be hunting with cast & coated boolits in the 35 Whelen.

waksupi
11-14-2020, 12:59 PM
I have wondered about cast in 6.5 for deer hunting. I'm sure I could do it cleanly under the conditions I normally hunt, but that's getting pretty small bore and I'd want to work up a load and test it thoroughly. Smallest I've used is 7mm.

Seems like you'd want a real heavy for caliber bullet and cast it with soft noses.

I killed one buck with the 6.5 Swede. Distance around 40 yards. Made a 4" X in the liver, silver dollar size hole through a lung. It acted like it didn't even know it had been shot, continued eating and wandered maybe 20 yards before going down.
160 gr. bullet, around 1650 fps.

waksupi
11-14-2020, 01:04 PM
Just like I said, right as soon I closed the truck door it started pouring. I'm back at the house now drying all my gear. Hoping to go back out later today, if not there's tomorrow.

I've killed my biggest bucks, mid day in rain. Several I killed in their beds. They hunker down a bit for the weather, and the rain keeps odor and noise hidden.

WebMonkey
11-14-2020, 01:50 PM
good luck!

i'll be out with the ruger and cast as detailed in last year's buck harvest.
(also here in missouri)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?391227-Cast-bullet-buck

RKJ
11-14-2020, 03:32 PM
I need to get back out there. I'm hunting public land also in central Missouri. When I came back in, I was soaked to the skin.Whenever I think about heading out again here comes a deluge. I guess I'm more of a fair weather hunter. ��

WebMonkey
11-14-2020, 03:44 PM
I need to get back out there. I'm hunting public land also in central Missouri. When I came back in, I was soaked to the skin.Whenever I think about heading out again here comes a deluge. I guess I'm more of a fair weather hunter. ��

hey, i resemble that remark!

i hunt from blinds, as equipped/cozy as possible.
:)

i'm blessed to hunt only on my land so i can 'setup shop' and leave it there.
just sweep out once a month during pmcs and i'm good to go.

slownsteady22
11-14-2020, 04:13 PM
It hasnt been the weather bothering me its been all the company, had to pass on the first place as it looked like a mobil home park in the parking area.
Fyi Rudolph Bennett CA is packed full

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

brstevns
11-17-2020, 04:04 PM
OK, Guys How is it going in Missouri?

19112TAP
11-17-2020, 04:16 PM
I'm hunting with my Ruger 77/357 with a full load of AA#9 behind a Ranch dog TLC359-175 RF. Movement is slow but have seen a few and filled one of my antlerless tags on Sunday and looking forward to getting back out this week end and find a buck to harvest.

Good luck to all that are hunting this season.

WebMonkey
11-17-2020, 04:40 PM
OK, Guys How is it going in Missouri?

2 does down with cast here in missouri.

(outlined in cast bullet twofer)

'monkey

brstevns
11-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Nice, Any pictures?

pastorcurtis
11-17-2020, 10:46 PM
My son dropped a doe with a load I put together for the Lee Enfield - the weather Saturday really was miserable. There as HAIL.

TyGuy
11-17-2020, 11:47 PM
Saturday it rained hard all night but stopped a bit before we went into the woods. They were really moving. Wifey and I saw 6 does and a little spike over the course of 3 hours. I took a little doe prior to the rain kicking back up. Sunday was very windy and we decided to take the day off after spending the remainder of Saturday processing. This Saturday Wifey will be up to bat. We alternate each deer. Hopefully she’ll put one more in the freezer for us.

sigep1764
11-18-2020, 05:46 PM
2 does here in MO. 1 last night right at dusk, first deer of my life. Was in the tree stand about 2 hours. 2nd one this morning at 7am, only in the stand about 1.5 hours. Both taken with Win M70 270Win, RCBS 150gr on top of 10 grains of Red Dot. Pics when I get home.

brstevns
11-18-2020, 06:31 PM
2 does here in MO. 1 last night right at dusk, first deer of my life. Was in the tree stand about 2 hours. 2nd one this morning at 7am, only in the stand about 1.5 hours. Both taken with Win M70 270Win, RCBS 150gr on top of 10 grains of Red Dot. Pics when I get home.
Nice! You will always remember your first Deer. Getting it with a cast bullet is really something to be proud of. Love to see any pictures

white eagle
11-18-2020, 07:43 PM
good luck in hunting
I am going to take my Marlin Guide gun
in 45-70 and use a 440 gr Hoch nose poured
coated boolit and my Super Grade in 30-06 for the long range work

change of plans
I will still take my SG Win model 70 in 30-06 for the long reaching shot
but I am now going to take my encore pistol in 475 Linebaugh
with a cast 335 gr MP boolit for the
woods hunting at 100 yds and less more like 50 yards
and when I am not carring the Linebaugh I will have my
Ruger bisley blackhawk 44 special cast with 16-1 Accurate molds Keith's

sigep1764
11-19-2020, 12:14 AM
Nice! You will always remember your first Deer. Getting it with a cast bullet is really something to be proud of. Love to see any pictures

brstevns
11-19-2020, 04:20 PM

Thanks for posting the picture. Something you will always remember and cherish. Hope this is one of many to come to you.

RKJ
11-19-2020, 08:37 PM
I'm planning on going out tomorrow. Hopefully, it won't be with a thousand other people. :)

tarbe
11-19-2020, 09:23 PM
My son took a 132 lb (on the hoof) doe on our place in Ozark County.

Brother in law dropped the hammer on the biggest buck he's had a chance at in 50 years. Forgot to chamber a round. :(

Strangest part of MO opening weekend was the tornado warning Saturday night and the 64 degree temp!

Monday morning we had 28!

First time in 10 years we didn't kill a buck opening weekend. Partly due to guys holding out for Mr. Big.

Wolfer
11-23-2020, 09:23 AM

This was opening days take. Not sure what the final count was. 7 or 8 I think, all bucks although a couple small spikes were thought to be does when shot.
Public land, Shannon co Mo.
In bad weather I have a cave I hunt out of. Also an old barn and a big rock overhang that looks out over the grown up river bottom

Wolfer
11-23-2020, 09:27 AM

Here is a view of my main hunting buddy at the cave.

ChristopherO
11-23-2020, 10:10 AM
That's pretty cool set up, Wolfer. Have you had much success tagging deer from this spot?

Congratulations to the other successful MO hunters, as well.

Here is a view of my main hunting buddy at the cave.

Wolfer
11-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Yes, the area in front of the cave has been a consistent producer over the years. In good weather we usually set on the bluff the cave is in.

sharps4590
11-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Opening weekend was pretty miserable. We didn't even go Saturday. With the covid my wife and I haven't been to church since March so we hunted Sunday morning. She tagged a nice, representative, adult doe and I spent the morning caring for her deer. We do hunt just on our place so it's pretty easy to go...or not.

"Fair weather hunter" was mentioned. Boy that describes me these days!! I think after 52 years of hunting I might have killed all I want to kill. I haven't been out 2 hours all season. I didn't even go squirrel hunting this year and this is the first season I've missed since 1958. Getting so I'd rather play with the rifles or my vintage sports cars. I do think that come late winter/early spring I might go kill a hog, just because.

Oh, Wolfer, that's a pretty cool set up!!!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-24-2020, 08:33 AM

This deserves its own thread!

sigep1764
11-24-2020, 12:07 PM
Thanks Silvercreek. Its been something I've wanted to do since college. I have been helping a friend for the past few years improve his marksmanship and introducing his two kids to centerfire shooting with reduced loads. We made a trade. I bought two crossbows, last years model for me and him and I invested in a deer stand for his property. I got a brand new Liberty 30 gun safe out of the deal, a place to hunt, and a place to go to when the wife gets to be too much.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-24-2020, 04:19 PM
Awesome. Any details on alloy, velocity, shot placement, distance covered after the shot, bloodtrail?

Thanks Silvercreek. Its been something I've wanted to do since college. I have been helping a friend for the past few years improve his marksmanship and introducing his two kids to centerfire shooting with reduced loads. We made a trade. I bought two crossbows, last years model for me and him and I invested in a deer stand for his property. I got a brand new Liberty 30 gun safe out of the deal, a place to hunt, and a place to go to when the wife gets to be too much.

sigep1764
11-25-2020, 01:52 AM
Awesome. Any details on alloy, velocity, shot placement, distance covered after the shot, bloodtrail?

We had two stands, the one I was in was on the south edge of the property that runs along the neighbors half mile long driveway. Friends stand is on the east side of the property about 100 yards from the road. We have a line of trees that separates us and we are aware of where the other is to avoid accidents. We used walkie talkies to communicate what were planning. The first doe was a long shot for me, walked off as 125 yards. The longest I had stretched this load was 75 yards, but a little quick math gave me something like a 12 inch holdover. The doe wasn't coming closer, so I waited for a broadside presentation. Fired, then she ran 20 yards to a thicket and then down. Boolit went right through both shoulders and the heart. Now, I practice a lot, having shot around 1000 of these rounds in the last year but only at 25 yards. I was very confident the load was accurate and the practice with the trigger paid off. But I feel very lucky with this shot.

The second doe was 60 yards walked off. This shot was not as well placed as the first. It went through both shoulders but not the heart or lungs that we saw when we field dressed it. It dropped where it was shot, but did not die. I carried my Colt Official Police in my pack just in case this happened. It was loaded with 2.8 grains of Red Dot with the Elco hollow point boolit lubed with Carnuba Blue. One shot ended any suffering.

The 270 Winchester load is the 270-150 RCBS boolit with Hornady gas check, Carnuba Blue lube, unsized as it drops about .279 and goes through a .280 die in my Star Lubrisizer. Ive pushed it to 2000fps with W748. The accuracy was the same as the 10 grain Red Dot load, so I decided to save the W748 for my 223 loads. Lead was from Kylongrifle32, hard lead, harder than wheelweight, less than Linotype.

Ban
11-25-2020, 05:48 AM
Congratulations guys!

I darn near hit a couple dog sized ones down near edwards recently. I woulda been highly annoyed though since it would have been with my truck & not a cast bullet.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-25-2020, 08:14 AM
:) Very nice!

We had two stands, the one I was in was on the south edge of the property that runs along the neighbors half mile long driveway. Friends stand is on the east side of the property about 100 yards from the road. We have a line of trees that separates us and we are aware of where the other is to avoid accidents. We used walkie talkies to communicate what were planning. The first doe was a long shot for me, walked off as 125 yards. The longest I had stretched this load was 75 yards, but a little quick math gave me something like a 12 inch holdover. The doe wasn't coming closer, so I waited for a broadside presentation. Fired, then she ran 20 yards to a thicket and then down. Boolit went right through both shoulders and the heart. Now, I practice a lot, having shot around 1000 of these rounds in the last year but only at 25 yards. I was very confident the load was accurate and the practice with the trigger paid off. But I feel very lucky with this shot.

The second doe was 60 yards walked off. This shot was not as well placed as the first. It went through both shoulders but not the heart or lungs that we saw when we field dressed it. It dropped where it was shot, but did not die. I carried my Colt Official Police in my pack just in case this happened. It was loaded with 2.8 grains of Red Dot with the Elco hollow point boolit lubed with Carnuba Blue. One shot ended any suffering.

The 270 Winchester load is the 270-150 RCBS boolit with Hornady gas check, Carnuba Blue lube, unsized as it drops about .279 and goes through a .280 die in my Star Lubrisizer. Ive pushed it to 2000fps with W748. The accuracy was the same as the 10 grain Red Dot load, so I decided to save the W748 for my 223 loads. Lead was from Kylongrifle32, hard lead, harder than wheelweight, less than Linotype.

hlvabeach
12-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Saturday morning around 8 am opening day got this 8 point. He was wondering out in a field about 100 yards from my stand on family property. One shot with my CVA Scout V2 45-70 suppressed using 11.5gn Red Dot and Lee 405gn. He ran about 50 ft, stumbled ran about 25 more feet then dropped. Was a lung shot.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/e8910eb276ffaeba89ec7181d89e00f1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201202/f9f972a0eebf8cebe588e7893e38789b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

ChristopherO
12-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Wow, I cast that same Lee Precision 405 grain FP and use it for my fun/plinker load over 13 grains of Unique. I imagine that is traveling about the same as your Red Dot load. I'll have to look that up. Impressed with the results you obtained with this suppressed load at 100 yards. I shouldn't be, but haven't personally gone there, just blow up water jugs with that load. If I have someone with a sensitive shoulder I won't have any problem letting them perforate a deer with this bullet now.
Excellent write up and great job on that fine buck.

EMC45
12-02-2020, 08:25 PM
The last 3 deer I killed was with the same bullet over 16gr. Unique when I lived in GA. Well done!

TCLouis
12-04-2020, 12:58 AM
hlvabeach
Congratulaions on making meat . . .
Good one!
I guess that 11.5 gr. Red Dot is sub 1100 fps if you are using it suppressed?

hlvabeach
12-04-2020, 07:53 AM
hlvabeach
Congratulaions on making meat . . .
Good one!
I guess that 11.5 gr. Red Dot is sub 1100 fps if you are using it suppressed?I originally was using 12 gr. of Red Dot but was noticing the supersonic crack! so reduced charge to both 11 and 11.5 gr. which did the trick! luckily arrived at family property before dark that Friday (Saturday was opening day) and was able to re-zero. Was able to place 100 yard shots with the 11.5 gr. load which could be covered with quarter. Darn that CVA is accurate! Now I want to try out their 35 Whelen.....

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk