PDA

View Full Version : Accurate vs NOE Molds?

emt1581
11-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Going to be trying my hand at reloading for the 50bmg. In another thread I'm looking at gas checks and gators were mentioned, just trying to figure out which of the three they offer goes on the 50bmg. But I digress.

NOE and Accurate are the only two companies I can find that make a 50bmg mold. They are right around $100 so price isn't what I'm looking at but moreso quality of the bullets produced and durability of the mold.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

44Blam
11-13-2020, 11:31 PM
They both make excellent molds.

emt1581
11-13-2020, 11:35 PM
They both make excellent molds.

If they are both of the same quality I'll go with the NOE. Much easier ordering rather than having to enter a ton of custom info. If I find out my new Raptor is the much of a tack driver, maybe I'll care more about the customization. Plus NOE accepts Paypal and I have a credit/balance so nothing out of pocket!!

Just have to figure out which Gator Gas Check will match up to the NOE's bullet.

EDIT: https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/50-lr-caliber-gator-gas-checks/ These??

Thanks!

dale2242
11-14-2020, 07:40 AM
NOE molds are excellent.
I have not used Accurate.

ioon44
11-14-2020, 09:01 AM
Accurate molds are excellent, I have 3.
I have not used NOE but I have bought sizer dies from NOE.

Both companies good products.

charlie b
11-14-2020, 09:05 AM
I have both and would not hesitate to buy from either again.

The Accurate ordering may be intimidating to some, but, when you need a specific dia for something like a bore rider bullet, all the extra dimensions are good. That is the one downside to the NOE mold I have. I wish it could have been made.002" smaller in dia so it would fit the throat of my rifle better.

midnight
11-14-2020, 09:05 AM
You might check out Cast Bullet Engineering (CBE) in Australia. I believe Jim Allison runs the show there. My first BMG mold came from him. It casts an 833gr bullet from my linotype. I have shot
< 1 MOA groups with it at 100 yds. It uses Gator checks, the "long" ones. I used to pan lube before NOE came out with their bushing sizing system but powder coat them now.

Bob

Mike Malat
11-14-2020, 09:21 AM
I have both and it isn’t a case of one vs the other. Both NOE and Accurate produce excellent molds. I would / will be buying again from both.

bedbugbilly
11-14-2020, 10:38 AM
Both are excellent high quality molds - you would be happy with either.

white eagle
11-14-2020, 11:06 AM
you won't go wrong with either
why not buy one from each

Mitch
11-14-2020, 11:23 AM
They both do great work and cast well.Accurate gives you the choice of size you want with the alloy you use.NOE is more off the shelf one size and mine all are on the fat side.

NoZombies
11-14-2020, 01:43 PM
The only thing I'll say is that NOE molds will cast to whatever they will cast, and seem to have been getting a little fatter over the last few years. Tom won't promise the mold will cast a specific diameter, but I've never had one that wasn't right when using the specified alloy.

DHDeal
11-14-2020, 07:30 PM
As a few mentioned, ordering from Accurate is not hard at all and gives you many options. I'm not sure whether Tom makes the promise of exact diameter, but his website mentions +/- of the specific diameter you specify. I do know that the 10 or so I've ordered have been about dead on. I've also been lucky that all of the molds that are a GC design allow the GC's to snap on without busting my fingers. All of that, and man what choices he has in the catalog. Don't find what you want, either hybridize 2 existing molds (done it twice already) or come up with you own design and Tom will make it.

I don't have any NOE molds, but have bought a bunch of his accessories for bullet sizing, GC expanders, and case expanders. He makes stuff no one else does and it's appreciated.

emt1581
11-14-2020, 09:12 PM
One last question on NOE....can the LEE handles be used with them or do I need to buy their's specifically?

Thanks

charlie b
11-14-2020, 09:19 PM
The Lee 6 cavity handles are interchangeable with any other molds. Lyman, RCBS, Accurate, NOE, etc. They are a bargain.

emt1581
11-14-2020, 09:21 PM
The Lee 6 cavity handles are interchangeable with any other molds. Lyman, RCBS, Accurate, NOE, etc. They are a bargain.

Awesome thanks!! I could have sworn I read that some mold(s) did NOT accept the LEE handles but I certainly could be mistaken on that.

Thanks!

44Blam
11-14-2020, 11:19 PM
So I have one thing I like better about NOE and one thing I like better about Accurate:
1) NOE makes molds that can be flat point, cup point or hollow point.
2) Accurate makes molds that you can say "I want design x but with a gas check and no lube groves in a brass mold with four cavities." and you will get it within a week or two.

megasupermagnum
11-14-2020, 11:54 PM
NOE is great if you want a hollow point.

If not, Accuate molds makes a superior quality mold. Not that NOE is bad, but Accurate is better.

tmanbuckhunter
11-16-2020, 12:08 AM
I have several molds from Tom, aluminum and iron, and all are exactly what I wanted, including custom designs. The man has earned my loyalty and his molds are all I order anymore.

emt1581
11-16-2020, 10:52 AM
I have several molds from Tom, aluminum and iron, and all are exactly what I wanted, including custom designs. The man has earned my loyalty and his molds are all I order anymore.

Tom is NOE right? Waiting to hear if/when he'll have more of the 50bmg gas check molds made for purchase.

Thanks

alamogunr
11-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Tom is NOE right? Waiting to hear if/when he'll have more of the 50bmg gas check molds made for purchase.

Thanks

I believe "Tom" is Accurate Molds. Swede Nelson is the man at NOE.

emt1581
11-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Odd experience....

Called up NOE at the number listed on their site. 801-377-7289 Voice mail picked up (automated) and said I'd called 801-330-01535 and yes those are the digits it said. I hung up the first time, thinking I had the wrong number. But I left a message the second with name/number/and asking about the availability of the 887 GC molds. Also sent them an email Saturday.

We'll see where this goes.

emt1581
11-16-2020, 10:00 PM
Wanted to update...

I never heard back from NOE today either by phone or email. I'll give it another two days but if NOE is either just not operating/much or isn't planning on making the mold(s) I need, gonna have to go with Accurate by default.

If anyone has a better way to get in touch with NOE aside from the phone/email on their site, please feel free to PM me or share it here.

Thanks!

mehavey
11-16-2020, 10:14 PM
Tom Ellis is Accurate Moulds.
By last count I probably have 20 of his moulds (all steel).

As to diameter dimensions, you get exactly what you order, with the alloy you specify, within a max (+)0.002" variance.

Tom is hard of hearing (so don't call), but invariably answers emails within 24 hours

emt1581
11-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Tom Ellis is Accurate Moulds.
By last count I probably have 20 of his moulds (all steel).

As to diameter dimensions, you get exactly what you order, with the alloy you specify, within a max (+)0.002" variance.

Tom is hard of hearing (so don't call), but invariably answers emails within 24 hours

Tom Ellis? https://lucifer.fandom.com/wiki/Tom_Ellis

I'm guessing that's not him. :twisted:

emt1581
11-17-2020, 03:01 PM
Just called NOE again and this time he picked up. He said he was having trouble getting the blocks for the molds and it'd be at least 2-3 weeks. I figure I'll give it a few weeks and if he still has no eta I'll pull the trigger on an Accurate.

If someone would be so kind as to help me with the specs I need to feed Accurate to get a mold, I'd be greatly appreciative. When I was going through the different screens, some of it didn't make sense to me.

Thanks!

charlie b
11-17-2020, 07:46 PM
Specs will depend on your rifle throat and bore dimensions. If you plan on powder coating then you might want to make an adjustment for that. You need the throat dia and length, groove dia and bore (land dia) in front of the chamber. A chamber cast or "pound cast" will get you wnat you need.

You want the driving band area to be at least groove dia, if not a little more. That is a dimension you should specify as a minimum, eg, .510 (+.002/-.000). Bore ride diameter you might want to specify as a max, eg, .500 (+.000/-.002).

emt1581
11-17-2020, 08:13 PM
Specs will depend on your rifle throat and bore dimensions. If you plan on powder coating then you might want to make an adjustment for that. You need the throat dia and length, groove dia and bore (land dia) in front of the chamber. A chamber cast or "pound cast" will get you wnat you need.

You want the driving band area to be at least groove dia, if not a little more. That is a dimension you should specify as a minimum, eg, .510 (+.002/-.000). Bore ride diameter you might want to specify as a max, eg, .500 (+.000/-.002).

Per the manufacturer...

BARREL: Lothar Walther Target Barrel, Chrome-Molybdenum Steel(LW19), Button Rifled, Twist 1" in 15", Chamber US Mil-Spec.

BARREL EXT: 4140 Steel.

MUZZLE BRAKE: 8 port style

STD SCOPE MOUNT: 7075 aluminum with a picatinny rail.

BOLT HEAD: 2 lugs, machine from 4340 steel.

BOLT BODY: machined from 4130 tubing.

BOLT HANDLE: 4140 Steel

HAMMER & SPRING: supplied to replace AR15/M16.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Barrel ----------OAL/Upper ------------Weight lbs.

29"----------------- 43.5"-------------------- 15.0

MUZZLE VELOCITIES

29" - 2.561 fps

Other than that, I don't know I can contribute anything you talked about. I'd have to ask the manufacturer.

Thanks

gwpercle
11-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Don't be so fast to dismiss NOE , Al Nelson is a fine fellow who works hard to make everyone happy .
A lot of new things have been going on with the shop and the Covid Pandemic isn't helping with workers or supply channels .
Give him a chance , he has never let me down ... and his moulds are first rate .
You may have to develop a little patience ... but it's worth the excellent customer service he provides . With all this pandemic stuff everything's a little screwed up ... but give Swede Nelson a chance .
Gary

charlie b
11-17-2020, 11:17 PM
Before you pick a mold you need to know the land and groove diameters. You can call the mfg and ask, but, they may not be able to give an exact number until your barrel is made.

And, yes, NOE makes excellent molds as long as the ones they make fit your barrel and throat.

44Blam
11-18-2020, 12:11 AM
Don't be so fast to dismiss NOE , Al Nelson is a fine fellow who works hard to make everyone happy .
A lot of new things have been going on with the shop and the Covid Pandemic isn't helping with workers or supply channels .
Give him a chance , he has never let me down ... and his moulds are first rate .
You may have to develop a little patience ... but it's worth the excellent customer service he provides . With all this pandemic stuff everything's a little screwed up ... but give Swede Nelson a chance .
Gary

I second this. I accidentally stripped one of the little screws that hold the bracket that holds the pins in the mold. I wrote him an email asking how much for a couple of them. I didn't get a response.
About a week later I got a little letter with 8 screws. That's pretty awesome.

Wayne Smith
11-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Not true. RCBS handles are thinner and the Lee handles will need to be thinned to use them on RCBS molds. Not sure about all the others, but I do know that one.

charlie b
11-18-2020, 08:59 AM
Interesting. I used a pair of Lee handles on an old RCBS mold and they worked fine.

wyowillys46
11-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Both are great quality molds. It’d be nice if Accurate would make round nose molds though.

alfloyd
11-18-2020, 01:28 PM
Accurate Molds only make molds with a flat point, "My tooling requires a .18" minimum diameter flat nose (meplat)".
But there sprue plate will accept the cutoff handle for the Lee molds that I like.

NOE molds will make molds with a sharp point that work better in some firearms.

I have molds from both and the quality, in my opinion, is the same from both.

Lafaun

gwpercle
11-18-2020, 06:35 PM
I second this. I accidentally stripped one of the little screws that hold the bracket that holds the pins in the mold. I wrote him an email asking how much for a couple of them. I didn't get a response.
About a week later I got a little letter with 8 screws. That's pretty awesome.

I have had the same experiences also ... his customer service makes up for any waiting .
I've learned to highly value someone who cares .
Gary

MT Gianni
11-18-2020, 07:02 PM

Lee handles on RCBS molds require filing to thin them , Saeco require thinning and redrilling. I don't know about newer molds but Lee's don't work on older 4 Cavity Lymans.

megasupermagnum
11-18-2020, 08:53 PM
Lee handles on RCBS molds require filing to thin them , Saeco require thinning and redrilling. I don't know about newer molds but Lee's don't work on older 4 Cavity Lymans.

I've used Lee handles on all my Lyman molds. They have fit every mold I have every had.

alfloyd
11-18-2020, 11:35 PM
Lee handles fit all the Lyman 2 cavity molds I have, BUT will not fit any Lyman 4 cavity molds I have.
The Lee handles will not fit any RCBS mold I have without thinning them.

Lafaun

bigboredad
11-25-2020, 12:34 AM
You can email Tom he is very helpful and patient he can help you with the specs. By time you wait for noe you could have exactly what you want from Tom. You don't have to order from his catalog you can help design your own bullet and Tom can help you with that also. He answers his emails very quickly. I've even had him answer me on a Sunday

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

uscra112
11-25-2020, 12:54 AM
I have both. I use both. Never any problems with either, but I admit to being marginally more partial to Al for some minor favors he did me a while ago.

I use a toggle-clamp handle set I got from BuffaloArms. It fits both makers' moulds equally well. If you haven't tried this handle system, do. I started with it because arthuritis was weakening my grip. But I get better bullets with it, because the mould is closed the same force every time. The round main handle needed grip tape on it, so I don't have to hold it so tightly.