PDA

View Full Version : Lyman digital caliper

TaylorS
11-13-2020, 09:25 PM
I have a Lyman digital caliper I use for most of my reloading and gun related needs. This evening it is out of calibration. is there a decent way to calibrate it myself or does it have to go back to Lyman?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201114/ad4c06eb4c5d3a0bb9aff1ec83ceaaf5.jpg
That should be a 452-200 Lee or a 429-200 Lee I can’t remember what I put in the can been to long since I’ve been in the shop [emoji2361]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjake
11-13-2020, 09:44 PM
That caliper looks exactly like harbor freights caliper. They sell for around $15.00. get the 20% off coupon and go get a couple of them. I have 2 that are spot on. sometimes you get a lemon but for the price you cant beat them. get a known gauge block or cylinder to check on your calipers occasionally.

SweetMk
11-13-2020, 10:13 PM
When you close them what do they read??

Maybe when they are closed, you need to push the "ZERO" button??

Elroy
11-13-2020, 10:24 PM
I agree with the thread above pushing zero with the jaws closed should zero do the trick, but with that being said I know from experience that when the starts getting weak the calipers will act up.

abunaitoo
11-13-2020, 11:33 PM
Looks just like my Frankford Arsenal one.
Try changing the battery.
Then to "Zero", close it all the way and press the zero button.
That always seemed to work for me.
I did have one that just wouldn't go back to zero.
Emailed Frankford Arsenal, told them about it, and the sent me a new one.
I've bought another one and a couple of extra bags of stainless pin from them.

TaylorS
11-13-2020, 11:39 PM
It would 0 out when I closed it it wasn’t count right I pulled the battery a few times and put it back and it’s working again thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hossfly
11-13-2020, 11:53 PM
My mitutoyo 6” digital calipers act funny when the batteries get weak. Change em out they go another year or so.
Been working for 20 years like that. When batteries get weak they start being inconsistent.

trebor44
11-14-2020, 07:40 AM
Batteries in digital devices are often the culprit for 'odd' behavior. Had a Vortex that would not shutdown, changed the battery and all was good. The only other device that had an 'issue' was a Dillon digital scale's LCD display that went 'bad', it was plugged into AC. Electronics are nice but they can have issues!

1hole
11-14-2020, 12:16 PM
So far as I can tell, ALL of reloading company brands of calipers (RCBS, Midway, LYman, etc., are Chinese, exactly same as those sold by Harbor Freight for as little as $10. I have four HF digitals and three dials, all are dead on or +/- 1 thou at worst, according to my three "Jo blocks".

I once ran into a guy in a HF store buying a dozen of them for routine use in his machine shop. He said they were usually as accurate as his Brown&Sharpe/Mitutoyo/Starrett/etc. calipers. He said they all die when they get dropped on a concrete floor but a dead $10 HF didn't produce the tears dropping a $150 + tool would bring; that makes sense.