PDA

View Full Version : universal vs universal clays

captn-tin
11-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Looking at some data for 9mm 124gr jhp bullets. In Richard Lee's Modern Reloading manual there is a load calling for universal clay and a different load calling for clays. Am I right in assuming that universal clay is now what Hodgon calls just plain old universal? Reason I'm asking? I was just gifted 4lbs of h universal. Thanks for any info.

dbosman
11-13-2020, 10:41 PM
Just to further muddy things, there was an International Clays for a while, too.

bdicki
11-13-2020, 11:09 PM
The clay powders were meant to compete with the dots, not interchangeable data but same uses. I use universal same as I use Unique with the proper data, mostly use it for 28 ga skeet loads. IMR has done the same thing I picked up 4 pounds of IMR green for trap loads. They dropped the clays on universal and international powders to avoid confusion.
Clays - Red dot
International - Green dot
Universal - Unique

dbosman
11-13-2020, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I've never seen it discussed in that way. It make sense now.

skeettx
11-14-2020, 12:16 PM
Well said
Thank you
Mike

Valley-Shooter
11-18-2020, 01:57 AM
Universal Clays and Universal are the same power.

They had to drop the Clays part because to many ignorant people were confusing the different powders.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Stephen Cohen
11-18-2020, 06:05 AM
The clay powders were meant to compete with the dots, not interchangeable data but same uses. I use universal same as I use Unique with the proper data, mostly use it for 28 ga skeet loads. IMR has done the same thing I picked up 4 pounds of IMR green for trap loads. They dropped the clays on universal and international powders to avoid confusion.
Clays - Red dot
International - Green dot
Universal - Unique

Judging by the data I have viewed, I concur. Regards Stephen

Ecramer
11-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Hate to admit it, but I was probably one of the dumb ones -- I could never keep the different "clays" straight -- always had to write it down before going to buy powder. Without the "Clays" on the end, it's much less confusing.