PDA

View Full Version : .22 Pistol Value?

BNE
11-12-2020, 11:36 PM
My boss offered me two pistols:

1) Iver Johnson Trailsman (copy of the Colt Woodsman). It’s in decent shape and does not name every time you shoot it. ;)

2) H&R model 929. 9 shot revolver. Also decent shape.

Any idea of the price I should offer him?

Drm50
11-13-2020, 01:33 AM
I wouldn’t want either one to keep but $300-$400 for both. That’s in nice shape, I don’t know what decent means.

pietro
11-13-2020, 05:38 PM

IME, in excellent condition, they usually change hands for about $300 (+/-).

If not in excellent condition (aka: pristine), the value goes down drastically.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-13-2020, 07:03 PM
Unless for some reason you really like these guns I'd steer clear of both of them. Buy a nice Ruger Mk IV or Single Six.

BNE
11-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys. To be clear, I have no interest, but wanted to help the boss move them.

Geezer in NH
11-21-2020, 09:52 PM
Iver Johnson Trailsman (copy of the Colt Woodsman). It’s in decent shape and does not name every time you shoot it

What does that mean?

To me a former dealer $150 each today is fair but at 200 each a no go.

elmacgyver0
11-21-2020, 09:57 PM
When anyone asks me what I will give them for something, providing I want it, I always say a dollar.

GhostHawk
11-21-2020, 10:13 PM
There is exactly one for sale on gunbroker, Iver Johnson Trailsman Model 66 - Demonstration Model
Starting bid was 250$, 300 people have looked, none have bid. That tells me it is priced at least 50$ more than it is worth, possibly 100$.

The H&R there are 2 for sale, one at 110$ with a single bid. The other at 227$ with 5 bids.

I would say average price should be roughly halfway between those two or 150$.

I'd probably throw a 300$ lowball bid at him, if he takes it accept the deal for what it is and be happy.
If he does not or wants to haggle walk.

I learned a long time ago to buy guns that have interest for me, that for one reason or another tickle my fancy.
I prefer not to spend money on guns that are offered unless it was already on my "I want one of these" list.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Like cars, jewelry, and other things, if you're not in the gun selling business-
its almost impossible to get anything even close to a retail price for what ya got.

Those aren't exactly high end collector's items either, that makes getting a decent price even worse.
I'd offer a couple hundred.
If he doesn't take it, refer him to Gun Broker, and to recommend he make his best deal with a local FFL holder.

M-Tecs
11-21-2020, 11:34 PM
https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/iver-johnson-trailsman-model-tm22pb-semi-auto-pistol.23261/

dtknowles
11-22-2020, 01:51 AM
If a friend needs money and offers to sell me a gun I will give them top dollar. If someone offers to sell me a gun I really want I will give them top dollar. I someone just wants to dump a gun on me they get low ball offer. If I really wanted a gun I already bought it unless it is just rare.

Does this guy think he is doing you a favor or is he asking your for a favor?

Tim

Drm50
11-22-2020, 10:49 AM
I wheel and deal all the time. I will take guns that I have no interest in if the price is right. You must also consider the market for the gun. If you can’t sell or trade it at a profit you have lost money. Gun books are nice, they don’t mean squat to me. I pay my price or walk. Condition is main point. Good shape for age, decent are meaningless descriptions.

jonp
11-22-2020, 11:04 AM
A girlfriend of mine had the Iver Johnson and I thought it worked ok. I wouldn't give more than $150 for one, though.

Scrounge
11-22-2020, 11:50 AM
There is exactly one for sale on gunbroker, Iver Johnson Trailsman Model 66 - Demonstration Model
Starting bid was 250$, 300 people have looked, none have bid. That tells me it is priced at least 50$ more than it is worth, possibly 100$.

The H&R there are 2 for sale, one at 110$ with a single bid. The other at 227$ with 5 bids.

I would say average price should be roughly halfway between those two or 150$.

I'd probably throw a 300$ lowball bid at him, if he takes it accept the deal for what it is and be happy.
If he does not or wants to haggle walk.

I learned a long time ago to buy guns that have interest for me, that for one reason or another tickle my fancy.
I prefer not to spend money on guns that are offered unless it was already on my "I want one of these" list.

The Iver Johnson Trailsman on gunbroker is not a gun, it is a gun-shaped-object. It's a demonstrator model, no firing pin, no real barrel. Personally, I like Iver Johnson break-top revolvers. I don't have any interest in GSO's. From the look of that listing, neither does anyone else.

BigAlofPa.
11-22-2020, 12:04 PM
My LGS sells the H&R for 125-175 OTD depending on condition. The Iver Johnsons he don't have them very often.

rintinglen
11-23-2020, 06:09 PM
In my neck of the woods, the H&R would run for 175-275 bucks, with the Iver Johnson running 150 to 200 in very good condition. The IJ Colt Copies were reported to have problems with soft steel being battered by recoil, but the only one I ever examined seemed all right after moderate use.