PDA

View Full Version : swaging dies and presses

Trifocals
12-11-2008, 12:45 AM
I had an interesting conversation yesterday with Andy Hawk (Hawk Bullets). He has swaging dies posted on eBay. Andy told me that he purchased the Sport Flite swaging die equipment from the previous owners estate. He has been assembling and selling the residue of completed dies and assembling dies from components he received from that purchase. These dies are rather unique that in the case of handgun calibers one can swage either 1/2 or 3/4 jacket bullets or a zinc base bullet simply by putting a different base punch in a die. Rifle calibers are also available. Andy is liquidating all of the old Sport Flite inventory at reduced prices, and is building an inventory of similar, newly manufactured swaging dies, which will retail at slightly higher prices. He has jackets and zinc washers available. I asked what type of press was necessary to use with these dies and he said any heavy duty press such as the RCBS rock chucker or the Lyman orange crusher will be sufficient, stating that he uses these himself. Do a Google search for Hawk Bullets to get their phone number. Andy does not list these dies on his website nor does he have a catalog. He will also custom make dies for uncommon sizes...just ask him. I personally plan to purchase some of his dies. I also emailed C-H4D to enquire about availability of dies and nose punches for the old Swag-O-Matic. They replied that they could make dies on special order and had some nose punches on hand. They did not reply to my inquiry re: prices for these items.

Question: Has anyone used a Redding ultra mag press for swaging? If so, how well did it perform for swaging?