PDA

View Full Version : let one walk

jwhite
11-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Has anyone not taken a clear & easy shot because they didn't have the "right" gun with them or taken a shot at an animal they might have let pass with one rifle but not another? Yesterday I let a nice 8 point walk right by that i know darn well if i had a gun stoked with cast boolits i would have taken. Instead I had my new Tikka 6.5x55 and he got a pass for another day. I had been trading off with between marlin 45/70 with a hot loaded Gould boolit, Ruger American .358 winchester with 230gr ranch dogs and the Tikka. In the past i have shot smaller bucks that i might have let walk only because i had an open sighted lever gun with cast boolits and it just seemed "right". First picture attached shows the buck and the others are from my early morning boat ride to get to where i was hunting.

jwhite
11-11-2020, 09:23 AM

tried a different version of picture, thumbnails were too grainy

gumbo333
11-11-2020, 10:13 AM
What a beautiful place to hunt. I couldn't see a deer in your pics. Why not shoot with the 6.5 x 55? My grandson has a Tikka 6.5 x 55, it has a very long throat, does yours? But I certainly understand not taking a shot on any certain deer you may see.

rockrat
11-11-2020, 10:21 AM
I let one pass decades ago. Was sitting in a fence line with some tumbleweeds around me, and a deer jumps over the fence and lands about 3 ft from me and turns and looks at me. I didn't budge or blink an eye and it finally turned and took a few steps then would look back at me. Take a few steps, turn back and look. I got my pistol up and cocked the pistol (Super Blackhawk stoked with the 429421 boolit) and watched it wander off, over the span of about 10 min. Finally got my rifle up and watched it leave the field.
It had been in a fight and had a broken horn hanging off the side of its head, with the side of its head bloody. Felt sorry for the thing, so let it go.
Never saw another buck the rest of the deer season!!

dverna
11-11-2020, 10:28 AM
I use the KISS system. My hunting rifles are .308's. I do not shoot through brush, as I do not believe in taking a shot that may end up wounding an animal.

I always have the "right" gun, and the right bullet (jacketed game bullets).

If someone has does not have the "right" gun/bullet, they suffer from the 7P's. They need to have the discipline to pass up risky shots.

The only shots I "pass" on are a doe with a fawn, and bucks with less than 8 points, unless they are mature and need to be culled out of the gene pool.

jwhite
11-11-2020, 10:35 AM
I can't seem to get a picture with enough resolution uploaded to show the deer, blends in too well despite only being about 50yards away. the Tikka does have a long throat, doest seem to hurt accuracy though, tack driver with several different loads so far.

What a beautiful place to hunt. I couldn't see a deer in your pics. Why not shoot with the 6.5 x 55? My grandson has a Tikka 6.5 x 55, it has a very long throat, does yours? But I certainly understand not taking a shot on any certain deer you may see.

koger
11-11-2020, 11:41 AM
I have killed a ton of deer, literally, with a 6.5 Swede I built in 1985, from 30 to 500yds, no problem. This rifle rides with me ever day since I built it.

Texas by God
11-11-2020, 12:02 PM
I understand what you are talking about. I limit myself to 100 yards with my iron sighted rifles with cast bullets. But I pass up shots almost daily from my porch that I could easily make with my 25-06. I limit my revolver shots to 50 yards or so. If the deer is too far away, oh well. Try again another day.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

missionary5155
11-11-2020, 12:26 PM
We hunt river bottoms and thick stuff with revolvers and recurves. But yet we pass on shots. Some less than 10 yards.
I have had a nice buck jump over me. I was sitting in my kayak and had just poked him with my paddle while he was sound asleep in the sun on a grassy spot along North Fork River.

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2020, 03:54 PM
never passed on one because i had the wrong gun but have passed on a few because i didnt need anymore venison or didnt feel like gutting and cutting up another deer.

SSGOldfart
11-11-2020, 04:40 PM
never passed on one because i had the wrong gun but have passed on a few because i didnt need anymore venison or didnt feel like gutting and cutting up another deer.

Same here

richhodg66
11-11-2020, 08:23 PM
I've let them walk for various reasons. Can't remember ever doing it for having the wrong rifle.

Lat year I cheated and used jacketed loads in an '06 to get a deer, had my reasons, not good enough ones.. I felt like such a loser taking the easy way. Don't really plan on ever doing it again with anything 7mm or bigger, jacketed out at long range is hardly hunting.

Texas by God
11-13-2020, 03:14 PM
About an hour ago, a friend was over to learn reloading. We stepped out back with his first two rounds(.44 mag 180 gr JHP over 9 grs Unique) and he shot a coffee can that I chunked toward the 40 yard berm. A small doe stood up from behind the berm and stood there looking at us while I shot the can with the second shot. Then she ambled off, not a care in the world. I hope she brings a big relative with her next time!

WebMonkey
11-13-2020, 09:18 PM
few deer get a 'pass' here.
:)

they are always the deer that are in rifle range but i'm out with the bow.

;)

leadeye
11-14-2020, 12:29 PM
I don't like to take anything less than a positive shot. I've never lost one or had to trail an animal more than 50 yards. In the woods that means passing on shots because of obstructions.

pmer
11-15-2020, 07:25 AM
I've passed on several this year because I'm waiting to hear a shot from my 15 year old son. But today is last day of season so all bets are off LOL. I think it is a good idea to pass on a deer anytime it doesn't seem or feel right. Too far away or trouble tracking etc. heavy side winds.

smithnframe
11-15-2020, 08:28 AM
That's some nice scenery up there........when I lived in Pennsylvania I used to go camping on Acadia!

petroid
11-16-2020, 12:23 PM
I have passed plenty of small bucks and does with bow, cast, and jacketed. Depending on my equipment, however, my standards differ. I have more relaxed standards with a bow, a little higher with cast, and highest with jacketed. It was only a few days ago that I killed my first buck with a bow, a nontypical 9 point. I feel blessed to have opportunity to hunt as much as I do and with different equipment. A lot of people only have one gun and a couple days a year to get something down. I don't snub them for their "if it's brown, it's down" philosophy. I have been there, too.

Win94ae
11-16-2020, 02:08 PM
I still don't get why the Tikka 6.5x55 was not the right rifle.

I sure have passed on shots I would not have, if Ohio would let me use my 30-06... or 30-30 for that matter.

jwhite
11-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Wasn't that the 6.5x55 would not work, while it was a nice deer it wasn't a monster buck and early in the season, but if i had an open sighted cast bullet stoked lever gun in my hands I would of shot without question. Hard to explain i guess, sometimes the gun and load used is as important to me as the size of the animal. That said I have to opportunity to hunt a lot and and able to fill the freezer with unlimited does during our expanded archery season that runs 3 months so that takes some pressure off.

I still don't get why the Tikka 6.5x55 was not the right rifle.

I sure have passed on shots I would not have, if Ohio would let me use my 30-06... or 30-30 for that matter.

Win94ae
11-17-2020, 10:08 PM
Wasn't that the 6.5x55 would not work, while it was a nice deer it wasn't a monster buck and early in the season, but if i had an open sighted cast bullet stoked lever gun in my hands I would of shot without question. Hard to explain i guess, sometimes the gun and load used is as important to me as the size of the animal. That said I have to opportunity to hunt a lot and and able to fill the freezer with unlimited does during our expanded archery season that runs 3 months so that takes some pressure off.

Thanks for the explanation! Good luck!

244ack
11-21-2020, 12:35 AM
If the animal is more important than the hunt, use a modern scoped rifle
If the hunt is more important than the animal use a lever gun and cast bullets. Way more satisfying no matter how big the antlers.

Wolfer
11-22-2020, 06:16 PM
I let a lot of deer walk most years. With the kids gone I only need a couple deer a year. Yet I love to hunt and want to hunt the entire season. When I see a deer coming I get ready and excited. The moment I can close the deal for sure I just quietly say bang but don’t pull the trigger. Ive now had all the fun of the hunt but don’t have to clean another deer that I don’t need.

This year I killed two antelope in Wyoming. Hence I don’t need anymore meat. Ive been in deer camp since Oct 15 hunting with my homemade longbow. Wow! That has a learning curve. Saw lots of deer but beyond my limit of 15 yds, had a very pretty 12 yd shot at a very small button buck but passed it up. He an I had built a relationship over the last month. I hope he survives.

largom
11-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Have not shot a buck in over 10 yrs. but I sure do like to see them. Have passed them up for the son-in-law to get. When it comes time for meat I try to pick an old doe. Have got lots of horns on the wall, don't need any more. Let them big ones do some breeding.