PDA

View Full Version : Had a meeting with a newly retired US Marine

Wayne Smith
11-10-2020, 08:05 PM
He had been retired for about a year. He told me that his wife had complained about his attitude, and he recognized that he was easily angered, was agitated, and he did not like his attitude. After talking a while he also told me that he had started studying Hebrew a year ago and stopped, and had not been in Church for a while either.

After we had spoken for a few minutes more I told him I thought I knew his problem. He asked what? I mentioned to him that Christianity is all about surrender to God, and Marines NEVER SURRENDER!

He started laughing and told me I was exactly right - he had been fighting God for the past year.

I thought I would post this because I doubt he is the only one with this problem.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-10-2020, 08:43 PM
Good post, and good point.

DG

Winger Ed.
11-10-2020, 08:45 PM
that his wife had complained about his attitude, and he recognized that he was easily angered, was agitated, .

I should feel terrible for smiling at this.

But I figured that was pretty normal behavior for an old Grunt.:bigsmyl2:

USMC87
11-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Amen Wayne and thanks for sharing this with us.

Pine Baron
11-10-2020, 10:17 PM
I think we all struggle with the "surrender" thing at one time or another. It takes constant vigilance...and a lot of prayer.

Gtrubicon
11-10-2020, 10:42 PM
I think this is a great beginning, how great is it that you can bring a struggling man back to God? I would love to follow this story, and I will pray for you and him. You are now a mentor!

Outpost75
11-10-2020, 11:09 PM
Sounds like an inspiring conversation between an Orthodox Rabbi and a Jesuit...

Wayne Smith
11-11-2020, 08:17 AM
I should feel terrible for smiling at this.

But I figured that was pretty normal behavior for an old Grunt.:bigsmyl2:

Don't be because he was laughing out loud. That often happens when we see ourselves in a new and revealing way. It's both humor and relief.

dverna
11-11-2020, 10:37 AM
I am not honored to be a Marine but I struggle a lot with surrender part.

Good post BTW

Boaz
11-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Good post Wayne . I have seen some that struggle against GOD in every facet of their lives . Refusing to accept the simple truth .