PDA

View Full Version : Primers

Clovis
11-10-2020, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have a clue when we might see primers for sale again?

MUSTANG
11-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Jan 2025

farmbif
11-10-2020, 07:31 PM
here's info from people who know something about it

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-is-there-a-primer-supply-shortage/

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-10-2020, 07:36 PM
I just bought some.
if there is none on the shelves near you, they'll likely show up soon.

Bazoo
11-10-2020, 07:37 PM
I just need a brick or two more of each size to be comfortable.

Wheelguns 1961
11-10-2020, 07:45 PM

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Ban
11-10-2020, 07:54 PM
Collecting primers is a hobby unto itself, best completed when supply is high & prices are low. Thats how I attempt to do it.

308Jeff
11-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Collecting primers is a hobby unto itself, best completed when supply is high & prices are low. Thats how I attempt to do it.

Same.

I've bought the vast majority of my primers in 2 large purchases. One in 2008 and the other in 2012. Should have enough to last me forever, unless I live forever. Except Large Pistol Mag. I never needed them until I bought my first 44 Mag.

sv44
11-10-2020, 08:26 PM
Same.

I've bought the vast majority of my primers in 2 large purchases. One in 2008 and the other in 2012. Should have enough to last me forever, unless I live forever. Except Large Pistol Mag. I never needed them until I bought my first 44 Mag.

That's funny- thanks for that

BNE
11-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Good info. Thanks.

MUSTANG
11-10-2020, 09:38 PM
I am horrified. Went out to the Reloading shed today looking for Small Pistol Primers to reload some .38's. NONE. Seems that over the last 4 years I have been buying LR and SR incrementally a 1000 at a time; so I am in great shape for Rifle - but no Small Pistol in the reloading shed. Guess I'll have to go to the Shipping container and get out a 1000 tomorrow from the stash I bought back under the Clintonista Regime. Lesson Learned; I'll work on inventory control better next cycle and ensure I am more balanced in my acquisitions.

I have yet to see a MANUFACTURER forecast increased availability in XX weeks or xx months.

Clovis
11-11-2020, 03:50 AM

Thank you for posting that article.

TjB101
11-11-2020, 05:58 AM
Good read ... thanks for posting. I’m quite lucky as I’ve been stocking up on primers for the last few years ... 2 or 3 boxes every gun show trip.

hotrod13
11-11-2020, 07:05 AM
Thanks for posting, interesting we just have 4 manufacturers and I remember when Obama took the Russian primers out of the equation

dverna
11-11-2020, 11:00 AM

LOVE IT!!!!

I have an extensive "collection". Sounds much better than "hoarding". I have not bought primers for about 3-4 years so I am not contributing to the current shortage.

As to the OP's question, no one really knows when supply and/or prices will get reasonable again. I expect that with Biden "winning", it will make the situation worse. If I were in your shoes, I would plan for two years of shortages and high prices.

There are reports of guys on this site getting primers at reasonable prices in limited quantities. Seems to be significant regional variations. Hope your area is not as badly affected.

4719dave
11-11-2020, 11:36 AM
GENTEX primers are being shipped as we speak my friend got a shipment the other day ..no not for sale !! they come from BOSNIA

rbuck351
11-11-2020, 11:51 AM
There are no primers available in my area. I just saw 9000 lg rifle primers sell at a local auction for $1136. I assume they will be on sale on one of the national auction places soon.
I got caught in a primer shortage in the 1970s. I started my collection then and haven't been short since. And, since primers aren't much good without other components, I have been collecting other components as well and don't think I will be out of anything gun related for the rest of my shooting days.
I'm sure there are many reasons there is a shortage now and I don't see it clearing up for some time.

MUSTANG
11-12-2020, 11:06 AM
This morning on Fox Business they had a short segment on Ammunition Sales Status. They indicated Ammunition Manufacturers currently have $1Billion backorder. They say they have at least a One Year backlog of orders. Extrapolating; if the situation continues as it currently is - we will not see any significant availability of Primers until 2022.

Note: as of 1055 Eastern time this morning Fox Business *Stuart Varney) "Modified" the above report. Instead of all Ammo Manufacturers having a $1B backlog, they are now reporting that VISTA alone has a $1B backlog of ammo orders. So the availability of Primers may or may not be affected even more. Obviously; the CHALLENGE in the ammo Market is worse than the reporters indicated earlier this morning.

toallmy
11-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Interesting and ( thanks for posting ) I had noticed all the imported primers were missing also .

Gewehr-Guy
11-12-2020, 08:36 PM
I just had a disturbing thought , what if the next administration gets us in another little war to get our mind off current issues, it might turn into a very long wait.

Bmi48219
11-14-2020, 07:48 PM
GENTEX primers are being shipped as we speak my friend got a shipment the other day ..no not for sale !! they come from BOSNIA

GENTEX are good for the price, just know they often FTF in firearms with weak hammer springs. We bought 20,000 a few years back at 2 cents each. They wouldn’t function well at all in Glocks. They fire fine in all my handguns except one striker fired & one hammer fired.

Conditor22
11-14-2020, 08:53 PM
I am horrified. Went out to the Reloading shed today looking for Small Pistol Primers to reload some .38's. NONE. Seems that over the last 4 years I have been buying LR and SR incrementally a 1000 at a time; so I am in great shape for Rifle - but no Small Pistol in the reloading shed. Guess I'll have to go to the Shipping container and get out a 1000 tomorrow from the stash I bought back under the Clintonista Regime. Lesson Learned; I'll work on inventory control better next cycle and ensure I am more balanced in my acquisitions.

I have yet to see a MANUFACTURER forecast increased availability in XX weeks or xx months.

I feel for you, I also was running lower than I liked in SPP due to a lot of load development and not paying attention,-- but like many who suffered through the last shortage I stocked up on all the primers I use and bought primers at good prices. I traded several bricks of primers I had extras of for SPP so I'm comfortable for now.

From what I've seen, primers are showing up (mostly in central and E USA) all I've seen here are LR & LRM

*** remember the retailers that are charging exorbitant prices for primers and avoid them now and after the shortage is over. IF they want to take advantage of us during the shortage they don't deserve our business!!! ***

I've sold several reloading items at what I paid for them or less If used

As for the primer shortage, I feel it stems from the ammo shortage. The US has recorded that largest amount of new gun owners this year and they all need/want ammo, I also heard that the US military put in a large ammo order; the ammo manufacturers are the primer manufacturers' biggest customers.

I think that reloaders make up only a small part of gun owners ( this is changing a little now due to current shortages and needs)

My 2¢ worth

truckerdave397
11-14-2020, 09:26 PM
There is a local auction house by me in Michigan. They have 500 small pistol primers and the bid is over $100 with two days to go. Plus 10% buyers premium plus 6% sales tax. Tempted to sell a few of mine.

hlvabeach
11-14-2020, 09:33 PM
GENTEX are good for the price, just know they often FTF in firearms with weak hammer springs. We bought 20,000 a few years back at 2 cents each. They wouldn’t function well at all in Glocks. They fire fine in all my handguns except one striker fired & one hammer fired.Not finding "GENTEX" when searching on Google. Did you mean Unis Ginex primers?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Froogal
11-15-2020, 10:19 AM
I feel for you, I also was running lower than I liked in SPP due to a lot of load development and not paying attention,-- but like many who suffered through the last shortage I stocked up on all the primers I use and bought primers at good prices. I traded several bricks of primers I had extras of for SPP so I'm comfortable for now.

From what I've seen, primers are showing up (mostly in central and E USA) all I've seen here are LR & LRM

*** remember the retailers that are charging exorbitant prices for primers and avoid them now and after the shortage is over. IF they want to take advantage of us during the shortage they don't deserve our business!!! ***

I've sold several reloading items at what I paid for them or less If used

As for the primer shortage, I feel it stems from the ammo shortage. The US has recorded that largest amount of new gun owners this year and they all need/want ammo, I also heard that the US military put in a large ammo order; the ammo manufacturers are the primer manufacturers' biggest customers.

I think that reloaders make up only a small part of gun owners ( this is changing a little now due to current shortages and needs)

My 2¢ worth

Primers may be showing up on the east coast, but certainly not in central U.S. Iowa is bone dry.

Bmi48219
11-15-2020, 03:29 PM
Not finding "GENTEX" when searching on Google. Did you mean Unis Ginex primers?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, UNIS GINTEX, my mistake