PDA

View Full Version : S@W 625: Which 5" model is best?

Butcher45
11-10-2020, 12:14 AM
I've been researching the 625, checking out a whole-lot of 625 threads before bringing my questions to the forum.

I'm trying to narrow-down the 5-inch, full underlug models of .45ACP 625 that I need to keep my eye out for, for the purpose of exploring all sorts of cast boolit loadings for target, pins, hunting, etc. I have no interest in the shooting of j-words in this gun.

Some say to find a 625-2 and forget everything else.

Others say -8's are the way because they are specifically set-up for cast boolits (are all 5 inch 625-8's built to shoot cast the same way)?

Did they started putting the extra hole in with the -08's?

Still others say focus on a finding 625-6 (despite the addition of a frame-mounted firing pin?), or earlier version due to changes made in the design (transfer bar safety/mim parts?), and the dreaded hole being added in 2001.

Is the frame-mounted firing pin/transfer bar safety the only culprit of the unreliable ignition reports on some models of 625? Is there a sure fix for it? I hear some models have ignition problems only when set-up a given way (i.e using
.45ACP without clips).

Are the throats/bores fairly consistent thruout the series, or are there certain models to watch out for? I've heard that the "later" models have better dimensions?

EDM rifling.....yay or nay, and why? Cast boolits only, remember.

Different cylinder lengths, in different models?

Replacement parts availability for older models?

Models with quick-change sight bases?

Also....what is the consensus on .45Super in the 625? More curiosity than anything else on my part. Wouldn't mess with .45Super much (not TOO much, anyways lol).

Thanks in advance for any knowledge/experience shared!

35remington
11-10-2020, 12:45 AM
I have a 625-3 and like it. As near as I can measure cylinder throats are .4515” which seems ideal. I take a dim view of any loadings which exceed the 23,000 psi of the +P 45 ACP. Decent ballistics that allow moderate range shooting of deer exceeding the energy requirement required in my state can be obtained.

If more is needed buy a 44 magnum or similar. Yes I have shot deer with mine using various 185 JHP hotted up a bit and the 452423. No complaint.

I cannot comment on the other variants. I do not own one. Mine has the hammer mounted firing pin and of course is minus the glory hole or Hillary hole, whatever term applies. Prefer Auto Rim to moon clips when the gun has to go bang.

When moon clipped rounds are loaded and the gun is shot at an upward angle (such as might occur if you were knocked to the ground and firing defensively or shooting upslope) the gun will misfire. If you understand that the firing pin has to drag adjacent clipped rounds forward before the struck primer is delivered a full blow you will see why this is so. And why I prefer Auto Rim when the gun has to go bang.

Dale53
11-10-2020, 12:56 AM
I have used two 625’s extensively:

1- My 625-8 JM Special with 4” barrel and red dot sight.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/.highres/SW625-8JMSpecial-3351.jpg (https://app.photobucket.com/u/Dale53/p/eb58f8a0-b9a0-4caf-a258-0ba56d396d7d)

2- my 625-6 Model of 1989 with 5” barrel and Red Dot sight.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/.highres/QDalesRevolversandPistols-1720.jpg (https://app.photobucket.com/u/Dale53/p/49ddf215-8935-40ae-a3ff-35398a29ba24)

I shoot nothing but my home cast bullets in these. They came with .4525” cylinder throats. I shoot .452” bullets. My favorite target bullet is a Mihec H&G #69 (flat base #68) ahead of 4.0 grs. of Bullseye or equivalent. On demand under 1” groups at 25 yards off a rest.

They are among my favorite revolvers of all time.

Dale53

P.S. One thing to keep in mind. In the later issues of the 625, Smith changed the chamber spec's - it is necessary to use the moon clips with the .45 ACP cases. The WW II issues and many later models would handle loading the rounds without clips and they would still fire reliably. The newer revolvers will NOT. It is NOT an issue with me as I NEVER try to shoot the .45 ACP without clips. It IS important, however, to realize this difference. rdm

Stephen Cohen
11-10-2020, 02:23 AM
I had a 5'' 625 back before the sawn of runt leading our Country decided only criminals should have anything over 357. I found the 625 to be the most accurate revolver I ever shot, my trophy wall is proof of the 625s accuracy. I never fired a jacketed bullet through that revolver. Regards Stephen

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-11-2020, 11:30 AM
I have a newer -JM
I don't like the ECM rifling, it's so rough looking...maybe it's OK? Probably better for j-words than cast? maybe? IDK
The throats on mine are fine, but the chambers are tight. I have to size boolits to .4515 to get reliable insertion of moon clips full of ammo into the cylinder...and I typically use the thinner R+P brass over other brands that seem to have thicker case walls.

I had a -8 that a swapped to a friend when I got the -JM. I regret giving that -8 up. I talk to this friend often, and some day I'll talk him out of that -8. He also has a mod 25 in 45colt, he says he would like to have it machined to take moon clips with 45 acp. He prefers the blued gun to the SS of the -8. I think his idea is a mistake, but if that'll get him to swap the -8 back to me, I ain't gonna argue with him.

Baltimoreed
11-11-2020, 11:59 AM
Got 3 so far, a Thunder Ranch, a snubnose 625-10 and my favorite a Model of 1988. The Thunder Ranch had to go back to have the bbl turned a little more and the lightweight snub had yoke issues where it would flex so I replaced with a ss yoke and a spacer, also bobbed the hammer. All I’ve done to the Model of 1988 is shoot it and seldom miss. I did add a fiber optic front sight to make it easier to see.

Gunslinger1911
11-11-2020, 07:18 PM
I have an '88; my buddy has an '89 - both 5", son in law has a recent "JM" 4".
None have seen a J word in our hands.
All shoot superbly, the JM may be a little behind - but not by much.
Both the MiHec H&G 68 and the 230 HP shoot great.
The two older 625's with the 68 shoot better than anyone can hold. (I need to talk the son in law into buying a Ransom rest)

For pure accuracy, I have to recommend the older ones, but you certainly won't be disappointed in a JM.

nockhunter
11-11-2020, 07:53 PM
If you can find one, a 5" performance center 625 is awesome. I have a 4" performance center 625 and it had exactly 100 rounds of jacked bullets when new to break in the barrel. It has had nothing but lead ever since.

check this out, https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/18692/mountain-lion-45-auto-rim

Mike

boatswainsmate
11-11-2020, 09:12 PM
I have a 625-8 with 5 inch full lug barrel that had 45 colt cylinder installed prior to me owning it. It's one of my favorite S&W 45 Colts. It shoots cast bullets very well! It's had a trigger job done by Denny Reichard. He also installed a cylinder and slide extended firing pin. Happy Shooting. Boats
https://i.ibb.co/cwybshG/DSCN2759.jpg (https://ibb.co/XDWyGxh)

C.F.Plinker
11-12-2020, 12:26 PM
I had a problem similar to JonB's

The throats on mine are fine, but the chambers are tight. I have to size boolits to .4515 to get reliable insertion of moon clips full of ammo into the cylinder...and I typically use the thinner R+P brass over other brands that seem to have thicker case walls.

My boolits are Ohaus 200 grain SWC sized to .452 crimped to .470 using Dillon dies and loaded in R-P brass. Most of the time the moonclips would just drop into the cylinder. Sometimes they wouldn't. So I decided to find out what was causing the problem. When one of the moonclips did not drop into place I figured out which round (and only one round was the problem child) was causing the problem and rotated it in the moonclip a little. No go. Rotated it some more and it dropped in just fine. I did that twice more on that trip to the range and it worked both times.

Something was keeping the round from going all the way into the chamber some of the time. The biggest thing is the mouth of the cartridge case. At .470 I am just removing the flare from the case. I have to taper crimp these because there is no crimp groove. I increased the amount of crimp to .468 and the problem went away. This is not solution for everybody but at least it's another arrow in the quiver.

Tatume
11-12-2020, 02:06 PM
S&W does not use Electrical Discharge Machining to rifle barrels (EDM). On some barrels they use Electro-Chemical Machining (ECM). This is an entirely different concept.

Tatume
11-12-2020, 02:12 PM
The S&W Model 625-2 45 ACP revolver is excellent. The S&W Model 625-8 45 ACP revolver is also excellent. Probably every model in between is excellent as well, but I don't have personal experience with them.