PDA

View Full Version : What I have learned (so far) about loading roundballs

megasupermagnum
11-09-2020, 10:45 PM
I would like to share some tips I have learned over time about loading round balls in shotguns, both smooth bore and rifled. The sizing is not super important, as long as it is over bore or groove size. I've shot them from IC and modifed chokes with no problems whatsoever. I would steer away from trying them in tighter chokes. In tighter choked, or thin barreled guns, I've seen where some people have tried choosing a ball the size of the choke. I've tried this, and I have yet to get anything besides horrendous accuracy. It is pretty much a waste of time. Use buckshot instead. From a smooth bore, and a ball over bore diameter, you can expect around 4" groups at 50 yards. I've tried a number of loads, but I've not significantly improved or worsened this. In a rifled barrel, you have a lot more potential. 2" or even less at 50 yards is very possible. I've tried balls from .001" to as much as .012" OVER groove diameter, and they all seemed to work pretty well. I recommend .005" over as a do-all size with plenty of forgiveness both ways. There can be more variation in bore size than you would imagine, but .735" seems to work for most 12 gauges with plenty of forgiveness both ways.

In a recent test I was using an H&R Tracker II in 20 gauge which is rifled. For whatever reason, H&R used a 20 gauge BORE diameter, and the rifling groove brings it way out to around .6265" if I remember right. That gun is horrible with any factory slug I ever tried. I mean it, I've not been able to get all shots on paper with any sabot slug that I was able to purchase, many keyholes. It only does marginally better with the couple rifled slugs I tried. Usual 20 gauge slugs for reloading were poor, as I still didn't have the diameter I needed. Finally I bought a ball mold, and it normally drop around .630". That was immediately the ticket, most loads I've tried so far with that ball shoots under 2" at 50 yards with the open sights. One time I casted a bunch too hot, as the brass mold is easy to overheat. They came out closer to .626". I shot them, and to my surprise, accuracy was mostly unchanged. These aren't light loads either, I measured these at a smoking 1700 fps with this load of Bluedot. The thing to remember is that they need to be at least the groove diameter. A .620" ball again shoot horrendously poor. I did not do enough testing to confirm, but it seemed to me that the .630" balls were more consistently accurate.

I know some claim fantastic accuracy from shotguns, I have never managed to do so with anything, including rifled bolt action guns and the priciest sabot slugs I could find. It could be me, it could be how I measure groups. Either way, my very best 100 yard accuracy with good scoped rifled guns is only about 4", with occasional better groups, but never an average. From what I've seen over the years at the local shooting range, I'm doing better than average. I have yet to see anyone with a mythical 2MOA slug gun, and I have yet to have anyone take me up on my offer of a free shooting day in exchange for letting me shoot theirs. If you do better, good. Just keep this in context when you see that I'm getting 4"-5" 100 yard groups with round balls, know that is about the best accuracy as I have ever got out of any slug including $18 for 5 rounds factory sabot slugs.

For load data, I've used lead shot data for everything so far, and it has worked out quite well. the few I've tried with my Pressure Trace system has shown similar or lower pressures than if I had been using lead shot. I've also found similar velocity as lead shot. The thing to keep in mind though, is often I'll use hard nitro cards for wads. If you take away the cushion for a load that calls for a lead shot plastic wad, pressure will sometimes go up. You have to use your head, and keep things in perspective. In all gauges so far, I've found Bluedot to be the best powder for strong loads. It is a very forgiving powder, it burns dirty with light loads, but you shouldn't get any dangerous bloopers unless you are WAY under where you should be. It is also very forgiving on the top end. A bore size round ball turns out to be a standard field load in weight for each gauge. With clip on wheel weights, I'm getting about 360 grains for 20 gauge, 475 grains for 16 gauge, 580 grains for 12 gauge, and 700 grains for 10 gauge. I recommend using data for the following weights, in that same order 7/8 oz, 1 1/8 oz, 1 3/8 oz, and 1 5/8 oz.

Speaking of alloy, I've tried pure lead, range scrap, COWW, and water dropped COWW. It seems to me the pure lead did not shoot as well, but was perfectly serviceable. All of the harder alloys did as well, and the super hard water dropped balls did not shoot any better. I believe there are two factors in this. I feel the main one is the forcing cone. No matter what you do, in a shotgun you have a significant jump of free bore often 3/4" or longer, and a tapered forcing cone to center the ball into the rifling. It is a very poor setup for accuracy. I believe the harder balls hold their shape better to allow self-centering. The other factor is the twist rate. I've never seen a slow twist rifled slug gun. Everything I've ever seen has been 1:35" to as fast as I think 1:22". Most being 1:28" to 1:36". In muzzleloader (patched round ball) terms, these are extremely fast, and shouldn't shoot as good as they do. For example, a 12 gauge, or 73 caliber rifle, the supposed ideal twist for a round ball is something like 1:90" or even 1:110" twist depending on the (questionable) formula. It's thankful they shoot as good as they do.

For lube, I've only done two things. Either nothing at all, or a thin coat of alox. Both work, and I've found almost no leading with no lube. It seems you can get a very light wash at the entrance of the barrel sometimes with no lube. I find it very easy to give a thin coat of alox, and not worry about it. Powder coating could gain you some diameter if you need it, otherwise it is a waste of time. Unless you like to do it, then by all means, do it.

Wads is a subject that could last for days. I've got two setups that I know work. The first is to cut the petals off of a lead shot wad, add a few fillers, and put the ball on top of that. The other is to use a gas seal (technically optional, but they seal better), and then a stack of 1/8" thick hard nitro cards. In both cases, I like to use buffer under the ball. I've tried felt wads, they didn't work for me, but they seem to work for some people. I like to use PSB buffer, which is tiny plastic beads. This allows me to choose the scoop size I need to take up the space. I use the buffer for two reasons. The first is it allows me tiny adjustments in load height. The more important reason is it fully supports the ball. Without it, I often recover wads that are dish shaped, indicating they were partially wrapping around the ball. I've tried so called "doughnut wads" where I cut a hole in a card wad, or using a BPGS, or even an upsidedown powder cup to center it. They don't work well. The big problem is you are now adding a variable that doesn't allow the ball to center itself. Where thousandths mean inches downrange, there is no way you can punch a card wad perfectly enough. Buffer doesn't effect the ball, they can move independent of each other.

Here is the big caveat with buffer, or at least PSB buffer. You can't use too much. I've seen it enough times now to know exactly what is going on. Often times in testing, I would get torn up hulls, or even hulls that completely separated. Some were so bad the hull stayed on the ball all the way to the target, effectively making it an auto-cutshell. The problem in every case was the same, too much buffer. What happens with a lot of buffer, is during firing you have the wads pushing upwards, and the ball acting against them. This smashing the buffer between, and it has nowhere to go but outward, into the soft plastic hull. If you use too much, the buffer will grab the hull and tear it. If you recover the shreds of hull, you will notice a section of it, usually right where it broke, that is dimpled from the buffer. I only use just enough buffer to fill the empty space under the ball and then a little more. I can't put a number on it, but where I was having problems, I was having a section 1/2" or longer of nothing but buffer. Instead of using more buffer, add another nitro card.

Smooth bores have been a little less responsive than the rifled guns. They pretty much shoot 4" at 50 yards. I can't seem to do any better, but it seems you have to mess up to do worse too. One thing you will notice if you try and push a ball through a bore by hand, on a rifled barrel you really have to pound them. In a smooth bore, you can usually push them right on through by hand, even if .005" or more over bore size. If you then compare the engraved bands, the one from the rifled gun will have a significant amount engraved, while the one from the smooth bore will barely have a ring. Even though both are around .005" over bore diameter (groove diameter in the rifled barrel), the rifled gun has a lot more hold on the ball. The other thing with the smooth bore, is often the ring will not be even all the way around. I used to think it was because they didn't center correctly. I'm starting to think it has more to do with the ball itself not being perfectly round. I use the molds from JT ball moulds a lot, they make a good mold. The only issue is they are never perfectly round. .002"-.003" runout is normal for these molds. I'm not sure if this alone is the problem for accuracy, and I'm fairly sure it is not. I have not done nearly enough testing, but recovered balls also show they don't leave the barrel even close to round. Usually they are slightly flattened on the bottom, with a bunch of dimples from the buffer, while the top half remains relatively round. This is fine in a rifled barrel, which keeps them flying this way. In a smooth bore, that can't be helpful as they turn in flight.

So how do they actually perform? I don't have a lot of experience on that yet. I've only shot a single deer with a 12 gauge ball, and my brother shot a deer Saturday with a 20 gauge ball, both rifled barrels. In both cases, the deer dropped on the spot, no movement. I shot a doe with the 12 gauge, and with a bluedot load around 1250 fps. One shot through the lungs at about 30 yards put it down on the spot, feet kicked a couple times but that was it. It passed clean through, leaving a nice size hole of 3/4" to 1" all the way through. Little meat was damaged. My brother shot a 6 point buck at around 15 yards with a single frontal shot. His load was with bluedot, launching the ball about 1700 fps. I didn't see the shot, but he says it crumpled up, no movement at all. When I gutted it, I was surprised to find the guts intact, and it seemed no damage to the lungs and heart either. Once I got to the front, I realized it hit high. What happened was it hit at the base of the neck, and centered on the spinal cord. The ball traveled centered in about 6" of the spine, smashing the bones, came out above the bone, continued through the left side backstrap mangling it, and came out the skin somewhere above the rump. The entrance hole was impressive, at least 1 1/2" in diameter, the spine was intact, but smashed (held loosely by tissue, bones were not thrown outward), the backstrap mangled, and the exit was not visible until skinned. All in all it traveled through about 8" of neck meat first, 6" of spine, then 20" of backstrap. That is a LOT of penetration. You won't get that with any factory sabot slug, and not a rifled slug. The Brenneke slug might do it, but I've never tried one in 20 gauge. That was an air cooled, range scrap alloy of around 12 BHN. I've tried firing into things like water jugs, with no success. I tried a 10 gauge ball into all the milk jugs I had, 15 of them one time. It went through all of them. I suspect you would need a minimum of 40" of ballistics gel to catch these.

littlejack
11-10-2020, 02:40 AM
MSM
Hey, thanks for your write-up. Seems you have extensive expierience and testing under your belt. I've learned a lot from you and other members that have done extensive loading and testing with different formulas on the forum. We can all learn much from each other, and the great part is that everyone is willing to share.
Regards

TjB101
11-10-2020, 06:16 AM
Great write up ... I’m taking the plunge into slug reloading and it’s been a challenge. Appreciate the notes.

missionary5155
11-10-2020, 08:28 AM
Good morning Mega
Thank you also for the time to write all this.
When we consider that the first RB projectiles were being launched about 700 years ago it amazes me still how any individuals who have never tried announce it can never be accurate or effective on target.

GhostHawk
11-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Great write up, well done sir! <Salute>

SuperBlazingSabots
11-10-2020, 10:10 AM
Greetings, Great write up that I enjoyed reading it.

Old is still Gold:
**--** A Solid Sphere is one of the strongest 3 dimensional shape, and will crush the heaviest bones without deforming so easily!
Shoot for the heavy bones in case of a round ball load, you do not get much blood trail with a RB because a RB has a tendency to tear rather than cut a clean round hole, remember that, Brother!

That 1700 fps load with 360 gr RB was it 34 or 35 gr of Blue Dot to be exact, did you use Fed 209A primer. I found the Blue Dot shines in many applications !

Best regards,
Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

Maven
11-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Excellent summary, msm! As a flintlock smoothbore shooter, I have to sympathize and agree that 4" 50 yd. groups are enviable. I've also found that virtually everything matters in the quest for accuracy, but barrel quality, bore dimension, RB diameter (up to a point), and powder charge make a difference. What you see is a 25 yd. test (bench rest) using three different diameter RB's and BP in my trade gun. Unfortunately, those results don't hold up at 50 yd.

megasupermagnum
11-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Greetings, Great write up that I enjoyed reading it.

Old is still Gold:
**--** A Solid Sphere is one of the strongest 3 dimensional shape, and will crush the heaviest bones without deforming so easily!
Shoot for the heavy bones in case of a round ball load, you do not get much blood trail with a RB because a RB has a tendency to tear rather than cut a clean round hole, remember that, Brother!

Best regards,
Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

This has not been my experience at all. Not with shotguns or muzzleloaders. That doe I shot was a broadside shot, the ball did not hit any bone other than a rib or two, which barely qualify as bones. It tore an impressive hole all the way through the deer, not quite as big as a Brenneke or a rifled slug mind you, but still very big. The deer my brother shot had one of the most impressive entrance holes I have ever seen. In muzzleloaders, I've only ever used pure lead. With pure lead, balls seem to flatten out, and do dramatic damage, better than most. You could certainly use pure lead for a roundball in a shotgun, and get the same effect, and it would likely perform similar to a rifled slug which also flattens out. At 20 and 12 gauge, I'm seeing no need for increased damage. In a 410 or 28 gauge, I would likely lean to pure lead ball. 28 gauge is the same as 54 caliber. In my 54 caliber muzzleloader I shoot pure lead. I've shot 2 deer, and a bear so far with it. 2 were pass throughs, 1 was a steep angle shot, and stopped in the shoulder after going through a very impressive amount of the deer. I've not shot anything with the 10 gauge, but it's a 10 gauge. A 78 caliber ball at 1300-1350 fps, that's a pretty close match to the old elephant guns.

As for blood trails, I couldn't care less, they are overrated. I have been getting good blood trails from the 54 caliber, and my doe shot with the 12 gauge leaked plenty even though it did not go anywhere. Even my bear shot with the 54 caliber, which are notorious for soaking blood with their fat and fur, left a decent blood trail for its short 30-40 yard dash. I didn't so much as gut that bear, as I did dump his lung soup out. A round ball can provide a tremendous amount of damage.

W.R.Buchanan
11-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Good morning Mega
Thank you also for the time to write all this.
When we consider that the first RB projectiles were being launched about 700 years ago it amazes me still how any individuals who have never tried announce it can never be accurate or effective on target.

The Brown Bess .75 cal. Flintlock Musket was the Front Line Weapon of the British Empire from 1720 to 1830. It couldn't have been effective? The gun that replaced it was essentially the same gun with Percussion Cap Ignition and those lasted for another 20 or so years before the widespread change to rifled barrels..

Getting hit anywhere by a 600+ gr round ball would ruin your day.

As far as accuracy, these guns had a bead front sight and that's all. They were designed to be fired in Volleys from lines of men, into other lines of men, so fine accuracy was not that important. It was just an extension of the type of warfare that was common during that period in history which continued thru the Civil War until WW1 when Machine Guns pretty much made it obsolete.

Some people figured out they could put a vee notch on the barrel in the rear and get better accuracy from their smooth bore guns. My guns all have Rifle Sights on the Smoothbore Barrels, and do pretty well around <3" at 50 yards with round balls from the smoothies. IC choke helps as does the Vang Comp System.

The only difference between my guns and the ones from 200 years ago are mine don't stink as much when fired, are More Reliable, and they are Repeaters. The projectiles they are firing are similar to that which was standard back in the day, but I now have many more choices.

If these "Rounds" (the term "Round" comes from "round balls") weren't effective, they never would have lasted 100's of years, and anyone who thinks a Flintlock Musket was not an effective weapon in it's proper context should volunteer to be shot at by one, just for clarity.

Bet they come right around to a more informed way of thinking as that big ball whizzes by their head!

My .02

Randy

6pt-sika
11-10-2020, 02:20 PM
The only one I've messed with punkin balls much is my 8 gauge . And of course that guns choked relatively tight . But it seems I've landed upon using a mylar wrap and putting a specific number of masking tape wraps on the ball itself . Now with that being said my parameters are generally not as stringent as others . If I can keep two from the same barrel inside 6 inch circle at 25 yards I'm good . And just about the same for the slugs I cast for the 8 gauge .

longbow
11-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Great write up and info! I am a big fan of the good 'ol round ball... especially big round balls.

I am sure you have shot more round balls than I have so good to see that my experiences pretty much match yours re loading/wad stack and buffer, and your preference for Blue Dot (12 ga. loads for me). I have only tested 3 or 4 powders since availability here is limiting but so far Blue Dot has performed best for me. I have also used SR 4756, Unique and Green Dot (Unique and Green Dot generally for lighter loads and/or lighter slugs of 1 oz. or less).

I have said many times that my good round ball loads will produce consistent 3" to 4" groups from smoothbore at 50 yards. Not generally any better than 3" and seldom worse than 4", so "about 4" groups" is safe to say (for me).

The very limited shooting I did with 0.735" RB's in a rifled gun also mirrored your 2" groups at 50 yards. I think the gun and load might be able to do better but I was a little beat up and flinchy by the time I got to the rifled gun.

I am a bit surprised these dependable projectiles are not more popular. I have found the round balls easy to cast, easy to load and more consistently accurate out to 50 yards or so than any hollow base or attached wad slug I have made at home when shot from my smoothbores.

You mention rifling twist in modern shotguns being fast for round balls and I can't agree more. Several years ago I decided to make a rifling machine to produce rifled choke tubes with deep groove slow twist for just that reason. I chose 1:72" as a compromise twist. I figured it wasn't too fast to work and would stabilize an elongated slug if I wanted to shoot a "Minie" type slug HB slug. Unfortunately I have not finished. I did make the rifling machine and rifled a piece of 3/4" pipe successfully but then life got in the way and it went onto the back burner. Then about a year ago I ordered a blank choke tube and bored it to 0.690" then started to rifle. Had trouble with the multitooth rifling cutter and stainless steel choke tube work hardening so remade the cutter to single tooth and jammed it up because it cut too deep! Once again that project is on hold but hopefully I'll get back to it.

Anyway, good read and good info. Thanks for posting that!

Longbow

Blood Trail
11-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Good info. I have a mold that throws .715 ball. Haven’t loaded any as I’m thinking of ways to make it bore diameter. Mylar wrapper inside maybe?

As for your comment on the mythical 2 MOA slug gun, are you saying that shooting exclusively RB’s or with any cast slug?

My hammerheads shoot MOA at 100 yards all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
11-11-2020, 10:02 PM
Good info. I have a mold that throws .715 ball. Haven’t loaded any as I’m thinking of ways to make it bore diameter. Mylar wrapper inside maybe?

As for your comment on the mythical 2 MOA slug gun, are you saying that shooting exclusively RB’s or with any cast slug?

My hammerheads shoot MOA at 100 yards all day.

Mylar is an interesting idea. Precision Reloading sells a few different thicknesses. .010" thick mylar might be just right. The only time I tried .715" myself, I tried it patched in cloth. Unfortunately I had total separation of the hull. The problem was not the patch though, it was that I had a ton of PSB buffer underneath. I should redo that, but take up most of the space with nitro cards instead. One off the wall idea I've used once before was to use milk jugs that I cut into strips as a sabot. I used them as 2-peice strips in a 10 gauge as a sabot for a .735" slug. The sabot's worked every bit as good as I hoped. Unfortunately the slugs did not shoot good, as they only brought that slug up to about .765" diameter, and did not shoot well from my .780" bore.

As for the slug accuracy, I have never seen a slug gun of any type, shooting any ammo ever shoot 2 MOA. It's rare I see 3" 100 yard groups, and I've never seen them repeated. I'm not here to say you can't, or that you don't, but I have never witnessed it with my own eyes. If you are ever in Minnesota, I'd be glad to go shooting with you.

Blood Trail
11-11-2020, 10:59 PM
Mylar is an interesting idea. Precision Reloading sells a few different thicknesses. .010" thick mylar might be just right. The only time I tried .715" myself, I tried it patched in cloth. Unfortunately I had total separation of the hull. The problem was not the patch though, it was that I had a ton of PSB buffer underneath. I should redo that, but take up most of the space with nitro cards instead. One off the wall idea I've used once before was to use milk jugs that I cut into strips as a sabot. I used them as 2-peice strips in a 10 gauge as a sabot for a .735" slug. The sabot's worked every bit as good as I hoped. Unfortunately the slugs did not shoot good, as they only brought that slug up to about .765" diameter, and did not shoot well from my .780" bore.

As for the slug accuracy, I have never seen a slug gun of any type, shooting any ammo ever shoot 2 MOA. It's rare I see 3" 100 yard groups, and I've never seen them repeated. I'm not here to say you can't, or that you don't, but I have never witnessed it with my own eyes. If you are ever in Minnesota, I'd be glad to go shooting with you.

How far are you from Wisconsin? I go up there a lot. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/02a7b1c555af26ef61aeac1adafe23ad.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/01fa66402dd83a63906fdd9099a63e77.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/4e6aef5198de9385287c1d6c79f2dfb8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/7aaa511577586c4c9a59fd82e8694aad.jpg

Here’s a couple groups at 100 with Uncle D’s slug and the Hammerheads.

megasupermagnum
11-11-2020, 11:28 PM
I'm about 1 1/2 hours from the Wisconsin border. I'm just south of St. Cloud. Those are very impressive groups, better than I get on average, but based on how I measure groups, not MOA. I also don't put any faith in 3 shots. Assuming all goes well, wind is calm, my round ball loads will shoot 5 shot groups like those 800x loads you show. That's no small feat. Even the guys with the Savage bolt guns, the most expensive slugs money can buy, and strong 4-12x scopes can barely keep up. My most accurate gun is my Ultra Slug Hunter, which I'm guessing is yours as well based on the USH listed on the targets. Mine is as it came out of the box, and wears a Leupold 1-4x scope.

Blood Trail
11-12-2020, 12:07 AM
I'm about 1 1/2 hours from the Wisconsin border. I'm just south of St. Cloud. Those are very impressive groups, better than I get on average, but based on how I measure groups, not MOA. I also don't put any faith in 3 shots. Assuming all goes well, wind is calm, my round ball loads will shoot 5 shot groups like those 800x loads you show. That's no small feat. Even the guys with the Savage bolt guns, the most expensive slugs money can buy, and strong 4-12x scopes can barely keep up. My most accurate gun is my Ultra Slug Hunter, which I'm guessing is yours as well based on the USH listed on the targets. Mine is as it came out of the box, and wears a Leupold 1-4x scope.

This count?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/79c9b6c2ceed18869ccbbec674c3d4f6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/4b77396d0417db9a02b768b655f67579.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/91e3df2e3086f76d5616e942f712cc3c.jpg

megasupermagnum
11-12-2020, 12:41 AM
That's pretty dang good. I've not been able to do that myself.

longbow
11-12-2020, 08:50 PM
msm you mention cloth patching. I have not tried that myself (yet) but likely will at some point.

I have read posts from others claiming that patching the RB's into hulls works just fine and can provide some very good accuracy. I had thought this odd in that if the patch is applied as it is in a muzzleloader then surely it would strip off due to:

- friction against the hull
- opening the crimp
- entering the bore basically unsupported or contained in a large chamber/forcing cone jump

However, these guys say it works. Having shot slugs loaded over nitro card and hard waxed card wad stacks I found pretty significant leakage was occurring so I thought maybe gas leakage is enough to be holding the patch tight to the ball until it is in the bore at which point it is trapped in place. Gas leakage even occurs with plastic gas seals and especially as the payload is leaving the hull and passing through the chamber/forcing cone. I don't have any answers or personal experience to provide an answer so I guess I'll have to try it.

BT have you shot 0.735" RB's from any of your slug guns? Or for that matter, RB's in wads. I don't recall seeing any BT RB reports. Hogtamer shot some 0.678" RB's I sent him loaded into shotcups. Accuracy was mediocre but then I'm not sure what the fit to bore was like. I find the 0.678" RB's a good fit in some shotcups and too loose in some shotcups in my smoothbore. I have added a paper sleeve to tighten them up on occasion. I have also cloth patched 0.662" RB's into shotcups in the hull with really good success again in my smoothbore. Providing a "custom" fit in a rifled barrel should work too.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how you do with RB's... or if you have already tested them, how you did.

And yeah! Those are pretty impressive groups with the Hammerheads and Uncle D's slugs!

Longbow

Blood Trail
11-12-2020, 11:38 PM
msm you mention cloth patching. I have not tried that myself (yet) but likely will at some point.

I have read posts from others claiming that patching the RB's into hulls works just fine and can provide some very good accuracy. I had thought this odd in that if the patch is applied as it is in a muzzleloader then surely it would strip off due to:

- friction against the hull
- opening the crimp
- entering the bore basically unsupported or contained in a large chamber/forcing cone jump

However, these guys say it works. Having shot slugs loaded over nitro card and hard waxed card wad stacks I found pretty significant leakage was occurring so I thought maybe gas leakage is enough to be holding the patch tight to the ball until it is in the bore at which point it is trapped in place. Gas leakage even occurs with plastic gas seals and especially as the payload is leaving the hull and passing through the chamber/forcing cone. I don't have any answers or personal experience to provide an answer so I guess I'll have to try it.

BT have you shot 0.735" RB's from any of your slug guns? Or for that matter, RB's in wads. I don't recall seeing any BT RB reports. Hogtamer shot some 0.678" RB's I sent him loaded into shotcups. Accuracy was mediocre but then I'm not sure what the fit to bore was like. I find the 0.678" RB's a good fit in some shotcups and too loose in some shotcups in my smoothbore. I have added a paper sleeve to tighten them up on occasion. I have also cloth patched 0.662" RB's into shotcups in the hull with really good success again in my smoothbore. Providing a "custom" fit in a rifled barrel should work too.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see how you do with RB's... or if you have already tested them, how you did.

And yeah! Those are pretty impressive groups with the Hammerheads and Uncle D's slugs!

Longbow

I have not shot any RB’s however, it’s on the list. I have a .625, .690, and that .715 mold.

longbow
11-13-2020, 02:56 PM
If you want some 0.735" RB's to try I can send you some. Let me know.

I could probably send a dozen in a package as lead weights. Canadian postal rates aren't cheap but that should be doable.

My best RB groups to date are with 0.662" RB's cloth patched into a shotcup in hull. Cloth thickness selected to give tight push through fit of patched ball in shotcup through smoothbore barrel, and 0.735" RB's over wad column of plastic gas seal then hard card wads topped with nitro card wad.

Both give 3" to 4" groups to 50 yards.

The 0.735" RB's also gave me +/- 2" groups at 50 yards when shot from a borrowed rifled Remington 870. That was for three 5 shot groups.

Sub bore RB's in shotcups will likely have to be fitted with shotcups to suit a rifled bore and maybe paper or cloth patched (shimmed) to correct fit.

Like I said, the 0.678" RB's fit well in some shotcups but are too loose in others. Cloth patching 0.662" RB's might be easier to get good fit plus keep the ball from skidding in the shotcups. Of course if fit isn't fairly tight in rifled gun the ball will skid in the shotcup.

Recovered 0.735" RB's showed good rifling so they didn't skid.

Longbow

Blood Trail
11-15-2020, 11:39 PM
If you want some 0.735" RB's to try I can send you some. Let me know.

I could probably send a dozen in a package as lead weights. Canadian postal rates aren't cheap but that should be doable.

My best RB groups to date are with 0.662" RB's cloth patched into a shotcup in hull. Cloth thickness selected to give tight push through fit of patched ball in shotcup through smoothbore barrel, and 0.735" RB's over wad column of plastic gas seal then hard card wads topped with nitro card wad.

Both give 3" to 4" groups to 50 yards.

The 0.735" RB's also gave me +/- 2" groups at 50 yards when shot from a borrowed rifled Remington 870. That was for three 5 shot groups.

Sub bore RB's in shotcups will likely have to be fitted with shotcups to suit a rifled bore and maybe paper or cloth patched (shimmed) to correct fit.

Like I said, the 0.678" RB's fit well in some shotcups but are too loose in others. Cloth patching 0.662" RB's might be easier to get good fit plus keep the ball from skidding in the shotcups. Of course if fit isn't fairly tight in rifled gun the ball will skid in the shotcup.

Recovered 0.735" RB's showed good rifling so they didn't skid.

Longbow

I may take you up on that offer.

megasupermagnum
11-16-2020, 01:03 AM
I know how weird it is to ship bullets to Canada. I don't know if the reverse is true. If it is a pain, I can easily send some .735" balls myself.

longbow
11-16-2020, 08:16 PM
No issues sending "projectiles" to the States. It is illegal for you guys to export though unless you have an FFL. Homeland Security does not like bullets or even empty brass exported. Of course powder and primers are restricted but even bullets of any kind and empty brass. Go figure.

The only issue is the cost of the Canadian postal service. We don't get flat rate boxes like you guys. I could likely mail about a dozen 0.735" RB's for $20.00 or so. I think last time I sent RB's to Hogtamer it cost me that. Hah! In the States I can ship up to 50 lbs. or is it 70 lbs. across the country for about $8.00 if memory serves.

I used to drive down to Waneta in Washington and mail from there but it turns out that technically I am not allowed to do that anymore. I'd be in possession of projectiles in the US and not being a citizen that is a no-no! I used to shot for reloading supplies in Colville Washington but can't do that anymore either.

Anyway, I don't mind sending a dozen or so 0.735" RB's if you want to try them. I normally cast from ACWW or range scrap so moderately hard balls. The ones I shot through rifled barrel and recovered showed nice crisp rifling.

Let me know if you want me to send some... and PM me your address of course.

Longbow

megasupermagnum
11-16-2020, 09:58 PM
You have got to love those flat rate boxes. I've even seen molds sold on here that cast ingots perfectly to fit into a flat rate box. Those poor workers must hate when they have to pick up a full medium flat rate box. 70 pounds is the limit for any size I believe, which is about a 3/4 full medium box of lead. If my math is correct, .735" balls should stack nicely 2x7 by 12 rows high in a small flat rate. 168 balls should weigh about 14 pounds. I could send that for $8.30.

Outpost75
11-17-2020, 12:40 PM
Where do you find a .625 or .630 round ball mold for a 20-ga. cylinder bore?

Maven
11-17-2020, 01:01 PM
Outpost, Google Tanner Ball Moulds. They make excellent single cavity brass moulds (sans sprue cutters) to your specifications. Although they are in England, delivery is quick and prices are reasonable (based on current exchange rates).

longbow
11-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Hahahaha!

"168 balls should weigh about 14 pounds. I could send that for $8.30."

Not from Canada! Like I said, it cost me about $20 CDN (about $15 US) to ship about a pound of round balls to Hogtamer. I don't recall what it cost me to ship the last slugs I sent to BT but had to be about the same for a dozen or so slugs.

I hear a lot of complaints (or at least I used to) about USPS but you guys have way lower rates and way faster delivery. Canada post says they deliver same day within city, 3 days within province and 4 days nationally. HAH!!! It takes a week to get a letter to the next town which is a 20 minute drive away and it has taken a month more than once to get mail from Castlegar to Vancouver or Calgary both about 8 hour drive away!! And they have a little slot they check anything thicker than an envelope with and if it won't go through it is about 3x the regular postage.

Okay... sorry... Canada Post rant off.

That's why I used to drive to Waneta Washington to mail slugs to people. It is about a 45 minute drive but what I spend in gas I save in postage and can mail larger/more weight cheaper... and it gets to its destination in the States usually in about 3 days at most. I just can't do that anymore. From Canada it usually takes 2 weeks to a month to clear customs then get into USPS system.

Anyway, not a problem. If BT wants some round balls I'll send him some round balls. I'd like to see 0.735" RB's really rung out in a rifled gun with a variety of load recipes and posted with pics.

msm... you've done quite a bit of 0.735" RB shooting haven't you? Have you posted detailed field results? I may have seen some but don't recall a lot of detail. I have been wanting to see the comparison between RB loads and typical slug loads. If you've posted details please point me to the post(s). Thanks.

Longbow

Blood Trail
11-17-2020, 03:41 PM
Hahahaha!

"168 balls should weigh about 14 pounds. I could send that for $8.30."

Not from Canada! Like I said, it cost me about $20 CDN (about $15 US) to ship about a pound of round balls to Hogtamer. I don't recall what it cost me to ship the last slugs I sent to BT but had to be about the same for a dozen or so slugs.

I hear a lot of complaints (or at least I used to) about USPS but you guys have way lower rates and way faster delivery. Canada post says they deliver same day within city, 3 days within province and 4 days nationally. HAH!!! It takes a week to get a letter to the next town which is a 20 minute drive away and it has taken a month more than once to get mail from Castlegar to Vancouver or Calgary both about 8 hour drive away!! And they have a little slot they check anything thicker than an envelope with and if it won't go through it is about 3x the regular postage.

Okay... sorry... Canada Post rant off.

That's why I used to drive to Waneta Washington to mail slugs to people. It is about a 45 minute drive but what I spend in gas I save in postage and can mail larger/more weight cheaper... and it gets to its destination in the States usually in about 3 days at most. I just can't do that anymore. From Canada it usually takes 2 weeks to a month to clear customs then get into USPS system.

Anyway, not a problem. If BT wants some round balls I'll send him some round balls. I'd like to see 0.735" RB's really rung out in a rifled gun with a variety of load recipes and posted with pics.

msm... you've done quite a bit of 0.735" RB shooting haven't you? Have you posted detailed field results? I may have seen some but don't recall a lot of detail. I have been wanting to see the comparison between RB loads and typical slug loads. If you've posted details please point me to the post(s). Thanks.

Longbow

Sending you my addy.

longbow
11-17-2020, 07:09 PM
Got it.

I think I have to do some casting but will check later. If so I can do that fairly quickly and get these RB's on their way.

Thanks for doing this.

Longbow

megasupermagnum
11-17-2020, 07:37 PM
I've reported my results at the shooting range, but have not hunted much with the .735". Last year was the first and only time I shot an animal with them. This year our deer limit is only 1, so I've let everything pass so far, plus I've been using my muzzleloader. We had an early antlerless season that allowed more, and the first day, a doe came running right in, and cut by on the trail in front of me not 10 feet away. I raised the gun, but it was too fast. I tried to get a shot, but by the time she slowed, she was straight away from me. I'm not one to try and shoot deer up the backside, although it would have been lethal. That's just another deer in a long list that would have been dead if only we were allowed to use a shotgun with buckshot, as I would have shot her as she trotted past.

As for comparisons to regular slugs, that depends on what regular is. I do have a few pictures of rifled slugs recovered from deer, I could show how they flatten out. I've never recovered any other type of slug from a deer. I wouldn't say I've done a ton of shooting with a .735" ball. I think I got my first mold that size 3 years ago. I've had great results right off the bat with rifled barrels, but not as much with smooth bores.