PDA

View Full Version : any Casters in Jacksonville Florida?

Hotrod99
11-09-2020, 04:14 PM
I'm in jax and been casting for a few years. Just looking for anyone else in my area to talk / swap with and learn in person.

Thanks!

dannyd
11-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Been casting in Jacksonville for 32 years. It's a fun hobby :)

Rcmaveric
11-10-2020, 01:49 AM
I am over by NAS Jax.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hotrod99
11-10-2020, 08:47 AM
I've only been casting a few years... and love it. Mostly handgun stuff.... 9mm, 38/357, 45acp and some 300blk. I have a small private range on the Northside and access to lead... lots of it. :smile: If you guys need any I can help.

dannyd
11-10-2020, 11:18 AM
I've only been casting a few years... and love it. Mostly handgun stuff.... 9mm, 38/357, 45acp and some 300blk. I have a small private range on the Northside and access to lead... lots of it. :smile: If you guys need any I can help.

Your lucky I go to Gateway

I have casted over 200,000 bullets mostly pistol but also do rifle.

Rcmaveric
11-10-2020, 05:44 PM
When I get back, my range scraps is getting low. I need to find a range that will let me "decontamination the environment".

I also use the gateway. Lol they weren't happy with me when they caught me mining their berms.

I have been casting for several years pistol and rifle. I dont know about number of individual bullets. But I do go go trough about 200 lbs of lead a year.

dannyd
11-10-2020, 08:00 PM
When I get back, my range scraps is getting low. I need to find a range that will let me "decontamination the environment".

I also use the gateway. Lol they weren't happy with me when they caught me mining their berms.

I have been casting for several years pistol and rifle. I dont know about number of individual bullets. But I do go go trough about 200 lbs of lead a year.

Back in the day Gateway only had a 25 50 yard pistol line it's where day shooter use now. I would mine those berms after every bullseye match. Just pickup 200 gn swc off the ground.

Hotrod99
11-11-2020, 09:46 AM
Rcmaveric - When you get back, let me know and we'll get you hooked up on lead! :guntootsmiley:

Earl54
11-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Down in gainesville area, loading and casting about 45 years.

Rcmaveric
11-11-2020, 06:04 PM
HotRod, deal.

I like their RSOs at the Gateway. A couple of them cast and I enjoy their stories and tips.... those perfectionist on the 200 yard need some counseling I avoid them like the plague. If you dont do such and such you won't hit this.... and the argument about brass....

Oddly enough they have a large contraption there for mining the berm. The old RSO who caught me mine said they used to sell it by the bucket for 10 bucks. I dont know why they stopped though. Their pistol berms are full of good stuff. That's where the cowboy shoots are.

dannyd
11-11-2020, 10:10 PM
HotRod, deal.

I like their RSOs at the Gateway. A couple of them cast and I enjoy their stories and tips.... those perfectionist on the 200 yard need some counseling I avoid them like the plague. If you dont do such and such you won't hit this.... and the argument about brass....

Oddly enough they have a large contraption there for mining the berm. The old RSO who caught me mine said they used to sell it by the bucket for 10 bucks. I dont know why they stopped though. Their pistol berms are full of good stuff. That's where the cowboy shoots are.

They stopped selling it because there weren't enough casters buying it. 35 years ago they would take the front end loader scope out a bucket full then we would use screens to get the lead. That's how I got started. Jacksonville is different today we over 100,000 sailors in the area back then. So almost everyone on the range we active, retired or had served. The range was started by a Chief that was a Peal Harbor survivor. He liked to yell at me :)

sutherpride59
11-12-2020, 02:03 AM
Damn bud I lived in Kingsbay GA 2 years ago, why did you wait so long to ask lol

Hotrod99
11-12-2020, 08:35 AM
Dang! Sorry man!! If you need any good clean lead, PM me I'm sure I can help. :guntootsmiley:

gunarea
11-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Hey Hotrod
I am the epitome of the cast projectile shooter. My home and shop are in Pomona Park, Putnam county. Been casting over fifty five years and win state titles with cast. Many of my students hold state titles through my tutelage. Currently in the best gun room ever in my life. I would send pictures but evidently have posted my limit. Run through my posts for pictures of various activities. Allow me to extend an invitation to visit, sip, converse and exchange.
Roy

Hotrod99
11-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Roy,
Sounds great! I'd love to see a north Florida meet of some kind. Heck, I can host on my land if needed... cookout, shoot and tell lies all day!

But, until then I'd love to come visit! PM me your contact info

Thanks!!

oley55
11-15-2020, 02:30 PM
Hotrod99,

Great your reaching out to folks and asking. I haven't actually cast anything yet but have been slowly snatching up used molds n stuff as I've seen locally (38/357 and 44 mag). I've only managed to accumulate about 20 pounds of lead (mostly old roofing/plumbing and cast-net lead). Been kinda waiting for slightly cooler weather and have been thinking about ordering something from Roto metals to harden what I have, but have only managed to confuse the hell out of myself. Have also managed to accumulate 3 pounds of pewter.

I'm in far northeast JAX in the Yellow Bluff & Starratt Road area and would love the opportunity to sit in on a casting session and pickup some lead. Now I need to figure how to save this thread.

Hossfly
11-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Hotrod99,

Great your reaching out to folks and asking. I haven't actually cast anything yet but have been slowly snatching up used molds n stuff as I've seen locally (38/357 and 44 mag). I've only managed to accumulate about 20 pounds of lead (mostly old roofing/plumbing and cast-net lead). Been kinda waiting for slightly cooler weather and have been thinking about ordering something from Roto metals to harden what I have, but have only managed to confuse the hell out of myself. Have also managed to accumulate 3 pounds of pewter.

I'm in far northeast JAX in the Yellow Bluff & Starratt Road area and would love the opportunity to sit in on a casting session and pickup some lead. Now I need to figure how to save this thread.

Hit top then thread tools and subscribe to this thread.

oley55
11-15-2020, 03:00 PM
Hit top then thread tools and subscribe to this thread.

Thanks, that was easy.

1hole
11-15-2020, 04:47 PM

My wife was born and grew up on 40 acres of Yellow Bluff Rd. just off New Berlin when it was all scrub oak and piney woods. I lived in Oceanway on Sago Rd. when in high school.

Send me a pm with info and I'll get my high school buddy who still lives on Starrett Rd about a mile from Dunn's Creek Church to contact you. He used to cast and says he wants to get back into it.

Bullet casting is easy enough (even I can do it!) but a little help at first can go a long way for a new guy; I'm sure Lyle remembers the basics and he would be happy to help you. In fact, helping you get started just might be good for both of you!

steve75g
02-15-2022, 01:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

I love in Ortega area near NAS. I’m in need of either wheel weights or
lead alloy for casting. I have about 50lbs left in my stock.

If anyone can help out a fellow caster, I’d appreciate it!

I’m a member at Gateway and cast for 308/30-06, 350L, 450BM, 9mm, 357mag

Steve Gonzalez
steve75g@gmail.com

Rcmaveric
02-15-2022, 03:41 PM
I transfered out of the area to Pensacola. Keep an eye on Craigslist. Its not often but you can make some good cheap scores off that with WTB post or from the rare WTS post.

Union Scrap Metal
614 McDuff Ave S N, Jacksonville, FL 32254

They will resell scrap to you. Last time I was there it was 33 cents a pound for mixes wheel weights and 1 dollar for sheat lead. Depending who is there they will let you sort the wheel weights. Just ask. If its the owner its a no. If its one of the greasy workers then yes. They do let you pick your bucket though so if you see a bucket full of semi weights its a good deal. One you sort them they will buy the scrap back at 16cent a pound. I normally pull better than 50% lead. I had been going there for a whil and got to know some workers and they would me let me sort while the owner wasnt looking. Maybe one day some one will drop off a bunch of spent bullets.

Gateway busted me berm mining a few years back and asked me to stop. I used to mine several hundred pounds in 30 minutes.

I am over here now in Pensacol looking for resources.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk