PDA

View Full Version : Sight in and misfires, trial and error for my new Pedersoli Sharps.

koger
11-07-2020, 10:02 PM
So today I go to sight in my Business rifle, I had posted about earlier. First round fires fine, then snap. I think it might be some CCI primers, too hard, so I switch to my win primed lead bullets, and same thing. I cock the hammer, and push in on the firing pin, I feel something grating, pretty bad. So I take the block out, and remove the 2 part firing pin and spring. I dont really see anything that looks out of the ordinary, but do see some mill marks on the part of the firin pin the hammer strikes. I stone them off, all 4 sides, lube and reassemble. Same grating feel. I remove everything again, and put the firing pins in without the spring, push on them and smooth as silk. I take the spring and cut 2 coils off of it, still the same thing. I cut a whole new spring, with thinner wire, that will pull the firing pin back after firing. Bingo, Problem solved. I ended up tapping the rear sight over jus a tad, and brining it up 2notches on the elevator. It is 3" high and shooting about 3" group for 5 rounds at 100yds. The buckhorn has way to much room in it, you could put 4-5 front sights in the rear sight notch, and a very deep notch . It loved the 300gr cast and 15 gr of Unique. I also tried some 350 JHP's with some 4198 behind them, pretty stout load, and the shotgun buttplate mitigated any recoil. You could feel a thump, but no pain, not even unpleasant. I may silver solder a thin piece of steel over the rear sight back, and cut a new thinner, shallower notch. Just thought I would share.