PDA

View Full Version : 7.6?X25 . . . Best Platform

TCLouis
12-27-2005, 11:00 PM
I keep saying I want . . . NO NEED a 7.62X25 to plink and play. My original plan was a CZ52 but hve seen good things said about some of the other choices.
It is mainly for plink and play, but to me only accurate guns are interesting. I ain't thinking Bullseye pisol accurate, but fun to 200-300 or so with reasonable expectation of placing bullet "close" to what I expected.
I realize they are all military and may vary greatly in precision.

Finding my brass again would be helpful.

Suggestions? I woulda asked for opinions, but you know I could NEVER get any opinions on this board <LOL>.

Herb in Pa
12-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Finding my brass again would be helpful.

Good luck with that wish !!!!!!

StarMetal
12-28-2005, 01:09 AM
I know this isn't applicable for all you, but I have my pistol range right outside my shop door. So I have a box with both ends cut out that I shoot from/through with my semi autos. I don't look any brass. Okay with that said for the 7.62x25 isn't exactly a plinking round in full power form and not nearly much better with cast. I mean by that, that it's a blaster, the muzzle blast and noise is worse they a four inch 44 magnum. The Nazis were scared to death of the Soviets PHSP's for few good reasons, one they had a 75 round drum, two they'd rip you apart, and three the muzzle blast alone would kill you. Now with those out of the way I have two 7.62x25's, a Tokarev and a CZ52 . Both will do 1/5 to 2 inches at 25 yards. Now how's that for inaccurate military handguns? In my opinion the 30 Luger is a more pleasant round to shoot. Not nearly the muzzle blast as the Tokie, and the Luger will nearly chew a hole at that same distance.

Joe

C A Plater
12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
You could always get a T/C Contender barrel in 7.62x25. I don't recall if T/C's Custom Shop does that caliber but I'm sure On Target Technologies, Bullberry and MGM will do it. No problem retrieving the brass and the accuracy would be there. There are links on my web page.

StarMetal
12-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey don't be sure a gunmaker or even barrel maker would make a TC barrel in 7.62x25 because I tried to get quite a few barrel makers that make barrels for a Browning HP to make me a barrel in 30 Luger and the answer was flat out no. Ask Deputy Al, he'll tell you.

Joe

45nut
12-29-2005, 12:56 AM
OTT,referred to above,,,you pick a barrel blank,,or pick one from his stock,send 2 cases with seated bullets,,he measures and makes a graphite "chamber" if you will,then EDM's your barrel. He has made me several barrels,,from 17HMR using a SHilen blank to my 458 Win Mag and 50 Alaskan for my Encores,,,,,a 7.62x25 would pose no problem.

C A Plater
12-29-2005, 04:53 AM
In addition to OTT, Bullberry lists the .30 Mauser and IIRC, Fred said he could to the 7.62x25 too. Virgin Valley would have made one so I believe MGM, the successor, may be able also. I checked this a few years ago when I had a couple of cases of S&B ammo. I used to sell ammo at gun shows and had a lot of requests for it. Trouble was no body wanted to buy $10 a box ammo for their $100 pistols. I got tired of hauling it to shows and not moving any so I thought I'd get me a T/C barrel to shoot it up. After I quit putting it out on the table and said I wasn't carrying it any more, I let a couple of fellas "talk" me out of my personal stash of the ammo they just had to have now that the local supply dried up.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2005, 02:33 PM
A T/C barrel would be an interesting small game prospect in 30 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev. The system would beat chasing brass around, for sure. I think the intrinsic accuracy is there, I know the CZ can really group nicely.

Yes, the search for a 30 Luger barrel to fit (in my case) the SIG-Sauer P-226 was not real fruitful. I do know that the P-220 was made up in 30 Luger for European sales for a time, but I doubt if there are many examples in North America.

These bottle-necked speedsters make real fine small game and varmint rounds, for sure. They aren't quite as accurate as a 32 Magnum revolver, but run a little faster at "full potential" loading.

StarMetal
12-31-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't know Al, my 1911 30 Luger and my P08 30 Luger cut some nice groups...and I've really only played with two bullets and no jacketed ones.

Joe

9.3X62AL
12-31-2005, 07:51 PM
To clarify--I was referring to my own firearms and their respective calibers, not the calibers over the bulk of firearms out there. My 32 Mag is a tack-driving machine, and the bottom-feeders at my house can't match it.

lar45
01-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I just picked up a CZ-26 SMG parts kit in 7.62x25. I picked up some starline brass and it seems short at .96". COTW says .99". I cut down some 223 cases and formed them, then started trimming down. it looks like they will take a case of 1.024". The 223 brass is thicker, so I was thinking of getting some 9mm magnum to make a 1" case for abit more neck. Anybody know of a good mold to use? The Soup Can won't even think about chambering. I got the 32cal pistol mold, but haven't cast any from it yet.
What I thought was interesting was remember 2 years ago I made a homemade single shot pistol in 30 Erin, 38 Special necked down to 30 in 06 dies... Well the sholder is exactly in the same spot as the 7.62x25. The 7.62 dies will form and load the 30 Erin perfectly. I don't know why I didn't think of it then.

9.3X62AL
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
30 Mauser is supposed to nominally be .990", while the 7.62 x 25 is supposed to be .970". Both have neck lengths of .150", so the shoulder length should be shorter on the Tokarev round. Both rounds have overall loaded lengths of 1.370", from my several sources. How closely the various makers adhere to these standards is up in the air.

NO KIDDING that a longer neck would be great on these calibers. My first cases were made with 9mm Magnum brass, and if you reamed the barrel's chamber a bit deeper--enabling the case neck to be lengthened a bit while maintaining the same overall length--it seems like magazine and feeding issues should be non-starters. BUT--never say "never", never say "always".

Try the Lee 100 RN, for a cheep option. These fit well in all three of my pistols in this caliber, if I BURY the case mouth edge into the front drive band just ahead of the top lube groove. If you'd like some samples, PM me--I think there's some in stock, or a short casting gig can refill the larder in short order.

lar45
01-12-2006, 03:25 AM
here's some part way pics of my project.
http://www.lsstuff.com/howdah/pics/cz26/cz26-01.jpg
http://www.lsstuff.com/howdah/pics/cz26/cz26-02.jpg
http://www.lsstuff.com/howdah/pics/cz26/cz26-ammo.jpg

I need to do some work on getting the trigger group tweaked to the right spot and converted to semi auto only. Then I can weld the front barrel retaining piece in place and it should be ready to go. It came with a folding butt stock, but I'll leave it off and put a block in the frame for now to keep it a pistol. Eventually I'll make a 16.5" bbl for it if I want to put the folding stock back on.
I think it'll be alot of fun to shoot.

The bottom pic is of the 7.62x25 next to my 30 Erin, 30-38 special. The sholders were in almost the exact same spot.

Dep Al showed me makarov.com for an original barrel for my CZ52. I think I'll get one for it. Some of those guns cleaned up real nice with new grips, sights...

I think the 7.62x25 round would be great in a micro-mauser bolt gun about the size of those Chipmunk 22's.

More ideas than I have time.

9.3X62AL
01-12-2006, 01:44 PM
That 30 Erin solves all the "bullet grip" challenges posed by the 7.62 x 25, for sure. "The 32-20 From Hell" in a Marlin 94, eh?

I have messed around with this caliber for about 17 years, now. At its full-value loading, it is a blasty little punk for sure. It almost meets the "Ruger Blackhawk In 30 Carbine" muzzle blast standard, and I agree with Joe--the 30 Luger isn't nearly so loud and blasty--even when warmed up past factory levels. I have gotten pretty intrepid with the 9mm recoil spring in the Ruger P-89C and the 30 Luger barrel in place.