PDA

View Full Version : GP 100 Springs

Jeff R
11-06-2020, 02:37 PM

Hi,
The factory trigger pull on this GP100 was quite heavy. I bought this new spring kit, and installed the 9 lb. spring. I get the occasional failure to fire, due to a light firing pin strike. I will put in the 10 lb. spring and do some shooting. On the 12 lb. spring packaging, it lists the 12 lb. spring as "reduced power."
My question is, does anyone know the "poundage" of the of the original Ruger factory spring?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

megasupermagnum
11-06-2020, 02:50 PM
I beleive 14#. I've got one GP100 that works with the 9#, and one that likes the 10#. Don't forget about the trigger return spring, as that is half the battle.

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2020, 03:07 PM
The factory hammer spring is 14 #

And like megasupermagnum stated, the trigger return spring is part of that equation. I often leave the factory trigger return spring in place because I like a very robust trigger reset but that's a personal choice.

I have found that with some careful polishing of the action, you can get very good results without needing to go below the 12# hammer spring & factory trigger return spring combination. I have found the 9# hammer spring is just not 100% reliable and the 10# spring is my self-imposed floor for GP-100's and SP101's.

Tim357
11-06-2020, 10:24 PM
The factory hammer spring is 14 #

And like megasupermagnum stated, the trigger return spring is part of that equation. I often leave the factory trigger return spring in place because I like a very robust trigger reset but that's a personal choice.

I have found that with some careful polishing of the action, you can get very good results without needing to go below the 12# hammer spring & factory trigger return spring combination. I have found the 9# hammer spring is just not 100% reliable and the 10# spring is my self-imposed floor for GP-100's and SP101's.
I concur. I want any gun I'm firing to go bang every time the trigger is pulled. I can live with a bit heavier pull as long as it is smooth.

ioon44
11-08-2020, 09:54 AM
My GP100 runs with a 8 # spring using Federal 100 primers, but won't with Winchester primers.

str8wal
11-10-2020, 11:06 PM
Mine wouldn't fire consistently with the 9#er but does with the 10. I left the return spring original to retain a quick reset. Having changed return springs in the past I found they didn't make that much difference in pull weight.

Bazoo
11-11-2020, 12:40 AM
I like my GP100 with stock springs and some judicious polishing. What made the most difference was the hammer strut followed by the trigger return spring channel.

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2020, 09:35 AM
The GP-100 is an excellent DA revolver but it occasionally gets maligned for its trigger pull. Some of this reputation is undeserved.

Pardon the puns but Ruger had been the target of some lawsuits. They may have been a bit gun shy and used springs that were a bit heavier than needed when they introduced the GP-100. I also think that Ruger compensates for some less than ideal parts finish with the use of heavy springs.

In any event, the GP-100 responds very favorably to some judicious polishing, maybe shims and springs. With just a little bit of work you can transform a GP-100 action from an ok action to an excellent action.
And there's the added benefit of the Ruger action being a bit over-built to start with.

The geometry of the lock work of a Ruger revolver is different than that of a S&W, so the two will never quite feel the same. However, you can greatly improve the Ruger action.

I think some folks get too obsessed with pull weight when they should be striving for a smooth action and not a light action. Add to that the issues of misfires, slow lock time and slow trigger reset; and you can do more harm than good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-11-2020, 11:14 AM
I also still have the stock springs in my GP-100.

I had intended to swap the springs and do a little polishing after the first time I had it to the range, which was a cold day. But since it was a NOS, unfired gun, I figured I should at least give it a workout before I do some work to it. Turns out that first time at the range (cold day...like 30º, cloudy, and breezy) my hands were almost numb due to the cold, and working the action and shooting was just more painful than it should be.
When I shot the gun on a nice weather day, I thought this trigger isn't so bad, plus I do have other guns with nicer triggers, so I figured I'd keep this one as stock...as it is probably the one gun, that I would borrow to a friend...and I don't want to borrow too nice of a gun, the friend may just want to keep it, LOL.
Anyway, after several boxes of ammo shot and a couple thorough cleanings, the action smoothed up adequately, not like my S&W guns, but surely better than some other less desirable brands.

GP-100 is a decent workhouse, that's for sure.

JoeJames
11-11-2020, 11:36 AM
My GP100 runs with a 8 # spring using Federal 100 primers, but won't with Winchester primers.My GP100 came with the standard issue (heavy) Ruger trigger spring; so before it came in, or maybe right afterwards, I ordered the Wilson spring kit. I installed the 8# trigger spring. Trigger pull went for 4 - 4.5 pounds to 3 pounds. Not had any problem with any large pistol primers. But mostly been using CCI LP's.

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2020, 11:39 AM
JoeJames, clearly you shoot your GP-100 in Single Action !

JoeJames
11-11-2020, 12:50 PM
JoeJames, clearly you shoot your GP-100 in Single Action !Huh, never tried it double action. If I was put under oath, I could not testify that it could shoot double action. Same goes for my Smiths too.

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2020, 01:13 PM
It's all good.

I rarely shoot DA revolvers in single action and own a large number of DAO revolvers.

JoeJames
11-11-2020, 01:46 PM
It's all good.

I rarely shoot DA revolvers in single action and own a large number of DAO revolvers.I think we'd make a pretty good team at a gun show. Would not be much overlap there, and we sho wouldn't be outbidding each other. I wouldn't buy a DAO revolver, if I got a sawmill to go with it.

Bazoo
11-11-2020, 03:33 PM
I shoot both DA and SA. Single action for target work and plinking. DA for self defense stuff practice or sometimes plinking. I can hit a 6" plate at 25 yards double action, but it took some practice to get there.

JoeJames
11-11-2020, 04:38 PM
I shoot both DA and SA. Single action for target work and plinking. DA for self defense stuff practice or sometimes plinking. I can hit a 6" plate at 25 yards double action, but it took some practice to get there.Whether double action or single action, with pistol shooting you certainly have to keep your hand in. Otherwise it fades fast. or it does with me.

Led
11-12-2020, 01:08 AM
I use the 10 lbs hammer spring. Any lighter and ignition becomes unreliable.

Later,
Led

Petrol & Powder
11-12-2020, 08:31 AM
If you buy a DA revolver but never use the DA function, what do you get out of that? Faster loading and unloading compared to a SA with a loading gate? :-)
OK, I'm just kidding here.

On a more serious note, shooting in DA mode isn't that difficult and I think it's more a mental block than an actual one.

JoeJames
11-12-2020, 10:26 AM
One thing along with easier loading with the usual DA revolver; the hammer is a bit lighter than a single action's. For example my S&W Model 67 vs. my Ruger Blackhawk S.A. Not particularly a mental block; I've just always shot S.A. Bit late in the game to switch.

Sort of reminds me on a different scale of one of my cousins who tried to convert me from being a staunch Episcopalian to some type of "scientific atheism". "No", was my response until he plumb gave up.