PDA

View Full Version : S&w m60 3” ?

BigboreShooter
11-06-2020, 08:49 AM
Thinking about a M60 in 3” for my CCW gun . Anybody own one? I want to replace my Sp101 4” for something a little smaller and lighter.
Do you like, dislike, etc.
BigboreShooter

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Approaching this without all of the "well I carry ___________", let's look at the issue.

The SP101 is an excellent revolver but is rather large & heavy for its class.
A 3" J-frame is a bit smaller than the frame size of the SP101.

You didn't say how you intend to carry this gun but because you did specify a 3" barrel, I will assume it will be in a holster and not pocket carry.

Personally, I put 3" barrels outside the classification of "snubnose". Once you step up beyond 2.5" in barrel length for a DA revolver, you're in holster territory (in my world, your world may be different)

So what we are really talking about here is a fairly heavy 4" barreled SP101 and a slightly lighter 3" barreled J-frame.

I REALLY like DA revolvers with 3" barrels. I think they offer a good compromise of size/weight/power BUT they are not snubnose revolvers. So if you're going to carry it in a holster, why not just step up to a K-frame and get 6 rounds and a larger grip?

I think the roughly 2" DAO J-frames are outstanding SD tools due to their very compact overall size. However, once you screw a 3" tube on that platform, it sort of loses it's appeal. Now you have a 5 shot revolver with a tiny grip that you have to carry in a holster.

Just one point of view here. Nothing carved in stone.

tazman
11-06-2020, 10:25 AM
Thinking about a M60 in 3” for my CCW gun . Anybody own one? I want to replace my Sp101 4” for something a little smaller and lighter.
Do you like, dislike, etc.
BigboreShooter

I have one and like it a lot. Very shootable. Mine is an older 38 Special only.

murf205
11-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Have you looked at the newer S&W Bodyguard? I've got one and it is a bunch lighter than a mod 60 or 36. I carry mine in a back pocket in cooler weather with a shirt tail out or jacket and it is easier to get my paw on the handle than my Keltec 9mm. Of course the hammer is shrouded for snag free draw.

JoeJames
11-06-2020, 11:21 AM
I have one and like it a lot. Very shootable. Mine is an older 38 Special only.Agree. I have had my 60-4 for about 25 years - adjustable sights, full under lug, 38 Special. Very accurate with semi-wadcutters. Trigger pull has honed down to 3 1/8 pounds over the years of shooting it.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-06-2020, 11:43 AM
I can remember from back in my now-ancient LEO days that the 3" S&W Mod. 60 was highly sought after as an off duty gun. Some considered it the ideal size and weight, and thought the better sighting and pointing of the extra inch of barrel made it about the best one could obtain, not to mention the factor of it being stainless. Some guns just have a special niche, like the1911, and the 3" Mod. 60 is one of them. Small, light weight, adequate cartridge (.38 Sp.), stainless-- other snubs come close but aren't quite the same thing. Truthfully, I never owned one as I favored having the 6 shots of the Colt Det. Special 2"or S&W M&P 2", but if you're a revolver man the Mod. 60 is hard to beat.

MT Gianni
11-06-2020, 11:46 AM
In my body frame a 3" J frame is concealable, a 4" K frame is not. I would consider the model 60 to be shot often with 38's and occasionally with 357 due to recoil and a light frame. Obviously a 357 Blackhawk will digest heavier 180 gr loads. It ends up being your decision.

BigboreShooter
11-06-2020, 11:46 AM
I also have a LCR in 38, but I Wanted something more accurate and more powerfull. I like my 101, it’s accurate . Just wanted something a little more compact.

tazman
11-06-2020, 12:13 PM
If you are looking for accuracy, the model 60 will deliver that in spades. Even though mine is a 38 Special, it will shoot with my 4 inch model 15 with no problems.
Since the newer model 60 comes in 357 mag, it will supply all the power you could want for social uses.

Hickok
11-06-2020, 12:17 PM
I have a Model 60 in .357 Magnum and I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.:guntootsmiley:

johniv
11-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Have one in .38 spl. Love it.

TNsailorman
11-06-2020, 02:06 PM
I have a S&W Model 13 with a 3 inch barrel and round butt. I find it pretty easy to conceal under a shirt worn on the outside of the pants or a jacket. It is heavier than a Model 60 but after I have had it on for 30 minutes or so, I forget about the extra weight as I go on with my daily life. I Do Not shoot +P in it though or any K frame for that matter. Yes I would not mid having a J frame but I am not going to pay the asking price just to save a few ounces of weight. james

Murphy
11-06-2020, 02:35 PM
I have owned several 2" 38 Specials down through the years. I have been tempted many times to purchase a 3", 38 Specal (5 shot). I keep coming back to the one reason as to why, extractor length. When I have fired a revolver empty and it's time to reload, I just don't enjoy having to pick the empties out of the cylinder. Yes, I still own a 2" snubby and for all I've gathered about self defense shooting, reloading really isn't a factor. Not that it's not possible it could happen, but it would be rare. Thus, the 3" gets my attention when I see one.

Murphy

Dan Cash
11-06-2020, 02:53 PM
In 1970, I had a 3" Colt Detective and a 2" M36. The 3" gun with same ammo as the Smith had a significant lead in energy and was much easier to shoot. Both guns are gone now, much to my sorrow.

rintinglen
11-06-2020, 07:35 PM
The 3" M-60 is an outstanding gun that gives up little in the way of shootability (if that's a word) to the bigger 4" guns but is much easier conceal. While a 2 inch M-60 works better for pocket concealment, just about any where else, there is no difference worth mentioning in concealabilty, but the 3 incher is easier to shoot well. Mine is several ounces lighter than my SP-101 4 " .327.

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2020, 07:40 PM
TNsailorman - I believe the 3" RB models 13 & 65 are excellent revolvers. They demonstrate an outstanding confluence of size, weight, power and accuracy. You get a full length extractor, a decent sight radius, good fixed sights that will not snag on clothing, a much easier gun to pack, a good full size K-frame grip and a 6 round cylinder. And they aren't much larger than a 3" J-frame.

Murphy, I hear you loud & clear. I'll pass on a little bit of knowledge I gained about reloading snubnosed revolvers. I was taught to operate the ejector rod "briskly". The goal was to "pop" the empty casings out rather than "push" them out. You're not trying to bend the ejector rod or beat the gun up, but you do want operate the ejector vigorously. The other part of the technique is to point the muzzle straight up while ejecting the casings.
One of the advantages of the short ejector rod on a snubnose is that it is nearly impossible to get a spent casing trapped under the ejector star. That short rod is also tougher to accidentally bend.

As much as I like the 3" barreled platforms, a 3" barrel doesn't fit my definition of a snubnose. There are uses for snubnose revolvers and 3" barrels. Pick the tool for the job.

Dale53
11-07-2020, 12:56 AM
I bought my 60-4 (.38 Special 3" with target sights) when they first hit the market. From the first day I took it to the range, I, as well as a few onlookers, were amazed how well I was able to shoot this little wonder! It was the perfect side kick for my over/under birdgun and allowed me to take a bushel basket of cottontail rabbits as well as snow shoe rabbits while bird hunting in Eastern Ohio and the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was and is a true delight to own and shoot!

FWIW
Dale53

pincherpartner
11-07-2020, 11:43 AM
I really like the 3” M-60 with a Clip-Draw for easy concealment and carry. The only issue I face with mine is the hammer spur in my stomach if I sit down while appendix carrying. A proper holster or carrying it differently would alleviate that. But it is definitely a great, versatile choice.

DHDeal
11-07-2020, 05:33 PM
I have a Model 60 in .357 Magnum and I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.:guntootsmiley:

If you have the M60 in 357 Magnum then you well know your emoji wasn't showing the correct amount of flame coming out of the barrels! I have one too and you can see the flame thrower in daylight even when not paying any particular attention. I just had to get out of the habit of loading it with old red box Federal 125 JHP's. That stuff was obnoxious.

Yeah, mine won't be going anywhere either.

one-eyed fat man
11-09-2020, 11:41 AM
I like a 3 inch revolver. The increase in performance going from 2 inches to 3 inches is greater than increase you get going from 3 to 4.

BigboreShooter
11-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Well, I called and I will pick up the new M-60 3” Thursday!
BigboreShooter

Hickok
11-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Well, I called and I will pick up the new M-60 3” Thursday!
BigboreShooter You are going to have a hard time sleeping now....until you walk out the shop door with that big grin on your face!

pietro
11-09-2020, 07:18 PM

Back when she moved out of my house into her own apartment, I gave my youngest Daughter a S&W Model 37 Airweight with a 3" bbl.

(Very similar to the Model 60)

Over 20 years + 2 children later, she still loves it to death, practicing shooting it weekly.

She CCW's it in her purse/holster (purse with an inside gun pocket)

Outpost75
11-10-2020, 12:30 AM

Back when she moved out of my house into her own apartment, I gave my youngest Daughter a S&W Model 37 Airweight with a 3" bbl.

(Very similar to the Model 60)

Over 20 years + 2 children later, she still loves it to death, practicing shooting it weekly.

She CCW's it in her purse/holster (purse with an inside gun pocket)

With wadcutter a perfect woods walking gun. Near perfect unless you can find a 4-inch Colt Cobra.

Fishman
11-12-2020, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure of the model designation as I don't have it in hand, but I have a stainless j-frame .357 I think is a model 60. Regardless, it has adjustable sights and a 3" barrel and shoots lights out despite its relatively small size. Its one of those guns that everyone shoots well, particularly with .38's and brings a smile to their face. I'm not parting with it but if I ever found myself without one again I would be looking for one.

downzero
11-12-2020, 05:17 PM
I have a S&W Model 13 with a 3 inch barrel and round butt. I find it pretty easy to conceal under a shirt worn on the outside of the pants or a jacket. It is heavier than a Model 60 but after I have had it on for 30 minutes or so, I forget about the extra weight as I go on with my daily life. I Do Not shoot +P in it though or any K frame for that matter. Yes I would not mid having a J frame but I am not going to pay the asking price just to save a few ounces of weight. james

Models 10, 13, 64, or 65 would be my choices as well, in 2.5" or 3" (or a 15/19/66/68 if adjustable sights are okay). A 3" j-frame seems rather pointless to me.

I have been carrying a S&W M&P 360 lately, a 1 7/8" j-frame .357 magnum. I also have other 4" revolvers and would love a 3" Model 13 someday. I don't see the point in a longer j-frame though, the snubnose is where it's at for 5 shooters.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-12-2020, 10:43 PM
I have a 3" Model 60 Pro. Carry it in a shoulder holster. Put a lighter trigger return spring in it. Action is very nice. It's easy to shoot well. What's not to like about a potent, easy to carry and conceal man stopper?

nockhunter
11-13-2020, 03:51 AM
I love mine, it goes with me most every where outdoors, (fishing/bow hunting). It's not pointless, lighter than a K frame, less bulk, and it has adjustable sights. It also has a significant velocity advantage to 2" barrels. It's not intended for primary hunting arm, mostly targets of opportunity while bow hunting.

Mike

flyrod
11-16-2020, 01:39 PM
I have the 60 pro series and it is very accurate, It is more of a trail/kit gun for me, I pocket carry a 360 airweight. You will like it.

johniv
11-16-2020, 05:26 PM
AND it has longer ejector rod, makes shucking the cases out easier.

BKS
11-20-2020, 01:12 AM
I love mine, I’m still trying to find a set of grips I like on it. Big hands.

Petrol & Powder
11-20-2020, 09:48 AM
Not raining on anyone's parade here, just rambling.
Once you put a 3" barrel and decent sized grips on a J-frame, you end up with a gun that is roughly the same length and height of a similar K-frame. Yep, the J-frame cylinder is a little slimmer than a K-frame cylinder and the J-frame is a bit lighter, but you're solidly in holster carry territory at that point.

I like DAO J-frames when they are equipped with 2" (well 1 7/8" actually) barrels and boot grips that don't extend below the grip frame. In that configuration they are still pocket guns. Once you add a 3" barrel and larger grips, they are no longer pocket guns.

Now, I will grant you that a 3" J-frame is a marvelous gun to carry in a holster. They are slim, light and can be had with decent sights.

I'm all about guns that are easy to carry and I will seek out those small, lightweight wonders that make such great Kit Guns.
For me, if we're talking 38 Special, that break between needing a belt holster verses not needing a holster is also the tipping point between selecting a J-frame verses selecting a K-frame.

None of that is royal decree or carved in stone; it's simply personal opinion.

Now, if we're talking 32 S&W long.........the 3" J-frame starts looking really good. :idea:

bobthenailer
11-22-2020, 10:09 AM
My son in law has a 3" S&W 60 and i like it better than the usual 2' or 1/7/8" barrels

salvadore
11-22-2020, 03:59 PM
I have a 60-10 that I must have shot a lot because I wore out something I can't remember what, ( I'm old) and sent it back to Smith to fix it. When I bought it replaced grips with Baramis and a grip adaptor along with removing hammer spur. Carries nicely but the adjustable sight can still hang up, and it is heavy. Recently replaced as my edc with the sig 365.

BigboreShooter
11-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Well ,I picked up the gun a little over a week ago. I had 2 range sessions so far.
The single action trigger is 3-1/4lb,double action is too heavy for my scale.
Have about 170 rounds through it.All my good loads stay well under 3”@ 25yds off sandbags.
I’ve been carrying it in holster I had on hand. It definitely lighter and more compact than my SP101.

BigBoreShooter

Silvercreek Farmer
11-22-2020, 05:33 PM
How is recoil? Do you notice much of an increase with the lighter weight?

Bwana John
11-22-2020, 05:55 PM
I have wanted a pre lock, 3" full underlugged barrel, adjustable rear sighted, 357 mag, S&W Model 60 for quite a while.

BigboreShooter
11-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Recoil is more than the 101.I didn’t put any full 357 loads through it. With 38 loads it was no big deal.I probably won’t put many full bore 357 loads through it. I wanted something to spli the difference between my LCR and the 101.So far I’m pleased!
BigboreShooter

beltfed
11-27-2020, 08:37 PM
One of my Sweet Ones is my SW M38, in 3". Shoots very well with regular and Plus P 38s
Really like the shrouded hammer and the 3", along with CrimsonTrace grips
I do not have a problem with dropping it (with holster) into my Carpenter jeans front pocket
beltfed/arnie