PDA

View Full Version : Can I cut a dovetail w/drill press

corvette8n
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I need to cut a single dovetail for a front sight on a barrel, can I use a drill press and one of those sliding vises? It is an old .22 but the bbl is to big around to use one of the files and guides from Midway.
.360 dia. dt

danski26
12-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I tried to do some light milling in alluminum with my Delta and had very poor results. There is a link on cutting dovetails by hand that has VERY good instructions. I would try it this way.

451whitworth
12-10-2008, 02:07 PM
a drill press is not made for side loads. your cutter will walk and flex. doing it by hand with a hacksaw and three sided file with a safe edge will work far better.

KCSO
12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
You wil break the cuttter or mar the barrel. The quill on a Mill is held in with a threaded rod and on a drill press it is just held by friction. The vibration of a cutter will loosen the quill, drop it into the work and either breaak the dovetail cutter or worse yet eat a chunk out of your barrel. For a rounnd barrel make sure you square the barrel and action in the vise and then make your preliminary cuts shallow so you can square them up as you go. You don't want the whole sight cocked off to one side or the other.

big boar
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I've cut several dovetails by hand and it really is not that hard, just take your time. Remember less than a hundred years ago this was very common work done by saw and file. When the square slot is cut and you're ready to file the angular notches for the dovetail use a felt marker to coat the slot and you'll be able to see exactly how the filing is proceeding. Try doing one on a small piece of steel, I think you'll be surprized at just how well it turns out.

Catch
12-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I have made these dovetails before and it can be done. You need to practice on some round stock first until you get use to the job. Make some straight cuts with a hack saw to get started and file the ends with a 3 cornered file. It is really useful to take a 3 cornered file and grind one side of it smooth and polish it so it won't cut at all. That way you can file the dove tail on one side to get it right. Catch

Evil Dog
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Drill presses are great for drilling holes and I've occasionally used mine more or less as a vertical lathe. I have as of yet to create a successful dovetail though. Do it the old fashioned "by hand" way and it will work out a lot better.

leftiye
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I've got an evil dog, it's a beagle! Worst pita I've ever owned.