PDA

View Full Version : Wrote a book

Idaho45guy
11-05-2020, 03:13 PM
I wrote a book over the past year or so and finished it in January, but didn't do anything with it since. A friend of mine is a professional writer and convinced me to just self-publish it on Amazon.

The process was fairly simple, and cheap, but I am skeptical of the quality. I ordered a couple of copies, so we'll see how they turn out.

I was surprised at how expensive paperback books are these days. The average price is $14.95. I priced mine at $11.95. I also offered it in the Kindle format for $2.99.

It's more of a novella at 55,000 words or so, but it's a fun read.

The main character is a US Forest Service LEO whose wife is murdered by a homeless guy when they lived in Arizona. He moves back home to Idaho and a couple of years later, another woman is murdered in the same peculiar way.

The name of the book is Quartz, and my pen name is Trey Veston.

If you are looking for something written from a conservative perspective, and does not lampoon traditional American values, then you should give it a try.

I'm considering doing another book based on the same character, but will see how this one does.

I had more fun doing the cover than writing the book. The piece of quartz was picked up during an elk hunt in Idaho last year, the firearm is my own Glock, and the bullets are my own reloads using Speer Gold Dots.

Paperback version here: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08MSS9DRM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=quartz+by+trey+veston&sr=8-1

farmbif
11-07-2020, 11:10 AM
well done

sparky45
11-07-2020, 11:19 AM
I think it's free with Amazon Prime; I could be wrong though.

alamogunr
11-07-2020, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure that Prime is required to purchase the book. I just got the book on loan because I have "Kindle Unlimited". I can borrow up to 10 books free. Every time I go over that, I have to return one to stay within ten.

I'm in the middle of another book right now so I can't comment on the "Quartz".

PS: I do have Prime but it wasn't mentioned as a requirement.

Scrounge
11-07-2020, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure that Prime is required to purchase the book. I just got the book on loan because I have "Kindle Unlimited". I can borrow up to 10 books free. Every time I go over that, I have to return one to stay within ten.

I'm in the middle of another book right now so I can't comment on the "Quartz".

PS: I do have Prime but it wasn't mentioned as a requirement.

It's a Kindle Unlimited book. Read for free, or buy for $2.99, at the moment. Just downloaded it to read for free. You can review Kindle Unlimited books, and if they get good reviews, you can increase sales for the author. There are a few authors I like who use Kindle Unlimited. Mike Watson, who's a friend from the 1911Tech list, JL Curtis, Peter Grant, Jerry Boyd, and some others. Mike has written some stuff in the 1632 universe that Eric Flint started, plus his own science fiction. JL Curtis has a short series, The Gray Man, that are excellent stories. Peter Grant has done westerns, fantasy, and science fiction that I like. Jerry Boyd has a series, "Bob and Nikki" that mixes genre's so badly I can't quite describe it, but starts with "Bob's Saucer Repair." I've bought them all, reviewed several of them, and I'm in the process of rereading the whole series once again. For the 5th or 6th time. Funny, serious, and very readable.

No_1
11-07-2020, 01:20 PM
It’s always good to learn of our members other talents! Do you have any other published works?

KMac
11-07-2020, 01:23 PM
I downloaded it into my Library on Kindle Unlimited. I too am in the middle of another book but I will read it next.
Looking forward to it and congrats to Idaho45Guy!

monadnock#5
11-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like fun.

redhawk0
11-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Idaho45Guy....I purchased the kindle version and am about 1/3 through it. It's well written and is captivating. I like your characters....especially your lead and I hope you expand on Moses character more further into the book.

Congrats on your accomplishment. I look forward to future books.

redhawk

jonp
11-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Just downloaded it free through Amazon Unlimited and I'll read it with interest since I "know" the author but I have to warn you that as an author under a pen name with several books in print I can be a tough sell!

Idaho45guy
11-07-2020, 06:07 PM
It’s always good to learn of our members other talents! Do you have any other published works?

I wrote a book when I was in 6th grade on how to break and train horses. I was in the Gifted and Talented club in school and that was one of my projects. As far as I know, there is only one copy and it's in the library of Eastern Washington University. Not sure if that counts.

Other than that, I wrote an article for American Digger magazine in 2010 and won an award.

Idaho45guy
11-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Idaho45Guy....I purchased the kindle version and am about 1/3 through it. It's well written and is captivating. I like your characters....especially your lead and I hope you expand on Moses character more further into the book.

Congrats on your accomplishment. I look forward to future books.

redhawk

Thank you so much!

Yep, writing the dialogue between Justin and Moses was great fun! Any future books will have them continuing their adventures together.

Idaho45guy
11-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Just downloaded it free through Amazon Unlimited and I'll read it with interest since I "know" the author but I have to warn you that as an author under a pen name with several books in print I can be a tough sell!

I'm definitely nervous about the reviews since I feel like I put so little effort into producing it. I just sat down and wrote what I thought would be interesting and fun to read and did very little editing or polishing.

The second book will be more thoughtful and precise.

jonp
11-07-2020, 06:57 PM
I'm definitely nervous about the reviews since I feel like I put so little effort into producing it. I just sat down and wrote what I thought would be interesting and fun to read and did very little editing or polishing.

The second book will be more thoughtful and precise.

Nervous and excited is exactly what you should be. It's a great thing to not only think about writing but to actually make that step and do it. I'm quite interested in starting it and will after finishing up another I'm almost done with tonight.

Don't worry about being "thoughtful and precise" as that is for scientific journals and political commentary. Worry about writing what interests you and think makes a fun read for people. Reading fiction or science fiction is an escape much like movies should be. Being broken on the rocks of political correctness may make the woke crowd happy but they are a tiny subset that no-one should try to please. Remember what yo enjoyed and write like that.

I just sent my wifes grandaughter a copy of "Where The Wild Things Are". Decades old it captured my imagination when I first started reading and by her reaction still does.

Adam20
11-07-2020, 07:00 PM
I ordered paperback version

Idaho45guy
11-07-2020, 07:20 PM
I ordered paperback version

Thank you!

All proceeds go to supporting the shooting sports industry we all enjoy. In other words, I'm buying more powder and primers if I ever find them again, lol.

MrWolf
11-08-2020, 07:06 AM
Just did a buy it now. Now maybe you can afford a primer :bigsmyl2: good luck
Ron

Wayne Smith
11-08-2020, 09:49 AM
Just bought the Kindle version. Yeah, maybe a couple primers you can afford!

jonp
11-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Thank you!

All proceeds go to supporting the shooting sports industry we all enjoy. In other words, I'm buying more powder and primers if I ever find them again, lol.

Well if that isn't a worthy cause I don't know what is.
Started it and you had me at "twig pigs" lol

Idaho45guy
11-08-2020, 06:32 PM
Well if that isn't a worthy cause I don't know what is.
Started it and you had me at "twig pigs" lol

I was a federal park ranger for a few years and was lovingly referred to as a twig pig and carp cop a few times. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to keep the references alive and well.

elmacgyver0
11-08-2020, 08:02 PM
I just bought the paperback.

Wayne Smith
11-10-2020, 01:18 PM
If you want criticism, it's too nice for a serial killer book. To add the depth you need to explore evil in very real terms. Read some of the work by FBI profilers. At one point in my life I thought I wanted to do that work. Reading those books convinced me that I did not want my mind to enter the minds of the truly evil. As a beginning consider the fact that there is little if any difference between the completely selfish mind and the evil mind.

If, like me, you decide not to go there change the genre in which you write. Westerns, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, etc. are all available.

Biganimal
11-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Just downloaded it. I will read it tomorrow & give an honest review. Congrats on your accomplishment.

Preacher Jim
11-10-2020, 02:50 PM
Idaho read your book, I enjoyed it killer was whom I pegged. Liked it well enough will read the next in the series so get writing.

adcoch1
11-10-2020, 03:04 PM
Went and ordered a paperback copy. Can't wait to read it. My brother is an aspiring writer and I've found I really enjoy reading novellas from him and others recently...

redhawk0
11-10-2020, 04:05 PM
I agree with Preacher Jim...I finished it as well and I had the killer figured out. Looking forward to what happens next....and a picture of that blonde on the cover would be good :grin:

redhawk

Idaho45guy
11-10-2020, 04:47 PM
I agree with Preacher Jim...I finished it as well and I had the killer figured out. Looking forward to what happens next....and a picture of that blonde on the cover would be good :grin:

redhawk

Yeah, that was the common feedback I got from family and friends; that the killer was too easily identified earlier on. I agree.

It seems that in mystery/thriller books, there are two approaches to the antagonist. The first is to keep their identity hidden from the reader and then at the end, have a surprise reveal. The really good ones can have you thinking one character is the killer, then at the very end, add a mind-blowing twist in which a character you didn't suspect was the actual killer.

The second approach is one in which you know who the killer is from the outset, and the book plays out as a nail-biting cat and mouse game in seeing the protagonist prevail in the end.

I went for the first option but didn't really pull it off very well and gave away too many clues. Live and learn.

Idaho45guy
11-10-2020, 04:53 PM
If you want criticism, it's too nice for a serial killer book. To add the depth you need to explore evil in very real terms. Read some of the work by FBI profilers. At one point in my life I thought I wanted to do that work. Reading those books convinced me that I did not want my mind to enter the minds of the truly evil. As a beginning consider the fact that there is little if any difference between the completely selfish mind and the evil mind.

If, like me, you decide not to go there change the genre in which you write. Westerns, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, etc. are all available.

I understand. The appealing thing about my main character is that I can have his next adventure be either another murder case, or he could face a corrupt timber company, or be fighting wildfires in California, or travel to Puerto Rico to provide law and order for a hurricane-ravaged community (my buddy who is a USFS LEO actually did this a couple of years ago).

So the character is eminently malleable in that regard.

I'm still trying to decide which direction to go for the next book.

Wayne Smith
11-10-2020, 07:53 PM
You did an excellent work in character development, and description and in the development of the plot. Those are part of the most difficult areas of writing. I know I am a terrible, boring writer. LOML edited our son's first book, and he called himself Tobias Mastgrave. He also self published on Amazon, search for Tobias Mastgrave and you will see some of what I was describing in my criticism. His description of sin is an excellent example of what is missing in your book. He has never yet finished his desire to do three books, one describing sin, one forgiveness, and one grace. He is now ABD (all but dissertation) for his PhD in comparative ethics and busy finishing his dissertation and raising two and soon three children with his wonderful wife. I hope he will eventually finish the series he first described.

clum553946
11-10-2020, 10:49 PM
I really enjoyed your book. It was reminiscent of some of William Kent Krueger’s offering & I read it cover to cover! I hope you continue the series & write more episodes. I also think your natural talent will improve your writing style but there’s really not that much that needs improvement.

KMac
11-11-2020, 12:43 AM
I finished it. Here is what I think. I am by no means a critic. Grew up as a kid without a TV in the house and have read a lot of books in my life. The characters you developed were really to my liking. The details you give when writing were just the right amount for me, I read every word and really enjoyed it. In my opinion you have a knack for it, and you should definitely write more books. I guessed right on who the
killer was but the writing was strong enough it didn't bother me. Will buy your next one for sure and looking forward to it.

Idaho45guy
11-11-2020, 02:52 AM
I really enjoyed your book. It was reminiscent of some of William Kent Krueger’s offering & I read it cover to cover! I hope you continue the series & write more episodes. I also think your natural talent will improve your writing style but there’s really not that much that needs improvement.

Thank you!

Idaho45guy
11-11-2020, 02:53 AM
I finished it. Here is what I think. I am by no means a critic. Grew up as a kid without a TV in the house and have read a lot of books in my life. The characters you developed were really to my liking. The details you give when writing were just the right amount for me, I read every word and really enjoyed it. In my opinion you have a knack for it, and you should definitely write more books. I guessed right on who the
killer was but the writing was strong enough it didn't bother me. Will buy your next one for sure and looking forward to it.

Thank you so much! Very kind words.

Battis
11-11-2020, 06:34 PM
How was the publishing process with Amazon?

Idaho45guy
11-12-2020, 02:59 AM
How was the publishing process with Amazon?

It was amazingly easy. Had I already in my possession a finished and formatted manuscript, it would have taken me about an hour to completely submit and publish my book.

But, I had to have the manuscript sent out for formatting and editing. I was able to start the process with Amazon months in advance and get everything lined up and saved for the final version. I took my own photos for the cover and had more fun designing it than actually writing the book.

It was a pretty seamless and painless process and I would encourage anyone wanting to self-publish to check it out. Tons of videos on YouTube regarding the process.

trebleplink
11-13-2020, 10:49 AM
Bought it, read it in one sitting. Good book. Keep polishing - you have the makings of a commercially successful writer.

alamogunr
11-13-2020, 04:15 PM
I'm not quite half way thru the book on my Kindle. Don't know how long it took the posted readers to figure out the villain, but I haven't yet. I will say this that you have written at least as well as many of the authors of other "who-dun-its". Many authors of, quote, "Thrillers" don't do as well. I give up on some after one book(or less).

Idaho45guy
11-13-2020, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

I received my shipment of my own copies yesterday and will get them signed and sent out to those that requested them shortly.

Biganimal
11-15-2020, 10:47 PM
Bought it, read it, loved it ! Only criticism I have is that the Torino engine had 700 horses and I do believe earlier in the script 652 hp was mentioned. But I may be wrong. Either way I enjoyed the book and am waiting for book two.

Idaho45guy
11-16-2020, 03:45 AM
Bought it, read it, loved it ! Only criticism I have is that the Torino engine had 700 horses and I do believe earlier in the script 652 hp was mentioned. But I may be wrong. Either way I enjoyed the book and am waiting for book two.

Nice catch! I believe that was one of the details I was going to fix and it slipped through.

MrWolf
11-16-2020, 10:39 AM

Now you ruined it for me! I haven't had a chance to read it yet! :kidding:

clum553946
11-16-2020, 04:08 PM

I thought is was the difference between crank hp & rear wheel hp lol

elmacgyver0
11-17-2020, 08:22 AM
I finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it.