PDA

View Full Version : Flying deer

mjwcaster
11-05-2020, 11:18 AM
I’ve seen deer do strange things, including attacking a truck, but this morning was a new one.
Driving down the interstate I saw something slowly moving on the overpass, looked maybe like branches.
I couldn’t figure out what it was until it got halfway and lifted its head.
A decent 8 point or so buck.
It must have seen the grass in the median because the next second it jumped.
It did not land on its feet, trying to twist around it crashed headfirst into the ground as I passed, losing sight of it behind the bridge.
I will try to look for it on my way home, even if it survived the fall I don’t have high hopes for a disoriented deer being able to safely cross the interstate to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DickelDawg
11-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Holy cow, Batman!!

robg
11-05-2020, 02:08 PM
depressed deer scared Biden could win

mjwcaster
11-05-2020, 02:13 PM
I drove back past, didn’t see a body.
But the road cleaning crew was out working just a few miles past the bridge so they could have picked it up if he didn’t survive.

gwpercle
11-05-2020, 02:29 PM
You don't live in South Louisiana do you ... you didn't turn around !

mjwcaster
11-05-2020, 02:38 PM
You don't live in South Louisiana do you ... you didn't turn around !

I had an appointment to keep.
I did however check the air temp (52f), did the mental calculations on how long the meat would keep, looked at all the junk in the back of the van and figured out what to move to get it in.
And a quick mental review of what ‘finishing tools’ were in the van if it was just badly wounded, 3lb sledge and my 380 were all I could think of, and I wasn’t going to shoot anything on the side of the interstate.
It would have required a full 360 trip to get it, one side of the highway has the wire crash barrier, so I could only get to it from my initial direction of travel.

I was never a deer hunter, but have processed a few that I hit, except the one the ex hit a few hours before a road trip. That one I moved so it was more visible from the road and it was gone when we hit the road in the morning.

mjwcaster
11-05-2020, 07:03 PM
I think my sense of geography was off this morning.
Headed out to the range this afternoon and about 100 yards north of a bridge was a corpse fitting the description of Super Deer.
The bridge is the next one north of the one I thought Super Deer had leapt from.
Just north of the rest area, not the weigh station like I had thought.

RIP Super Deer, you were the hero we didn’t deserve.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Back around 1967 I was the proud owner of a 1950 Buick Special. The car was built like a tank. I was on my way home, almost there with maybe half-a-mile to go, driving through this mountainous residential area following a swing shift. Must have been about 1:00 a.m. It was the usual residential scene, with houses, front yards, and a winding two lane road. I was traveling about 20 m.p.h., and out of the corner of my right eye I saw something move. I looked, and it was a big 4 point buck with thick antler stems, but the tines were broken off, with only fuzzy stubs remaining about 8 inches long. I slowed to a stop. The buck stood there on the edge of the right hand curb, and I decided to creep past. The moment the headlights passed he lowered his head and charged. WHAM! He hit the right front fender, and down he went. I immediately stopped, and to tell the truth I figured he had broken his neck and was going to load him into the trunk. As I got out of the car I saw that another car had stopped along the opposite curb, and a lady was helping her son out of their car. He had a big cast on his leg, and they were just returning from the hospital. The lady said, "Oh, don't worry about that deer. He does that all the time!" I walked around to the other side of my car, and the buck was gone. I had two green pea-sized dimples in side of the fender. One of life's stranger experiences.

DG

gbrown
11-05-2020, 11:15 PM
Several times in one of my deer stands, I have seen deer jump 20-30 feet, easily. The dirt logging road was an easy 12 foot wide, and I watched them jump it, easily, from 4-5 feet to the edge to 4-5 feet past the other side. I've heard stories of unbelievable things these animals have done, after being mortally wounded. One by a very credible person. They are amazing, all I can say.

GhostHawk
11-06-2020, 08:27 AM
I have seen them hide in cover you'd swear a rabbit could not hide in. And they will get down on their elbows and SNEAK.

They are first cousin to a tigger, their tops is made out of rubber and their bottoms is made out of springs.

8-9 miles south of where we hunted there was a refuge. I had the priviledge of flying over that refuge 4 days after the season closed. Saw more big bucks in 5 minutes than I had my whole life before or since.

My buddy took me down so close to the one I was afraid he was going to put a hole in our landing gear. Could not have been more than 10 feet. I was up to 13 points when I lost count. And there was at least 5 more to count.

kbstenberg
11-06-2020, 10:03 AM
I agree with GhostHawk. Those corn crunchers can hide in short grass.
I was tracking 1 cripple (mine) I lost the blood trail. I made a circle about 30' in dia looking for blood. The deer got up and was inside the area i had just made the circle around.

nicholst55
11-09-2020, 12:13 AM
I have seen them hide in cover you'd swear a rabbit could not hide in. And they will get down on their elbows and SNEAK.

They are first cousin to a tigger, their tops is made out of rubber and their bottoms is made out of springs.

8-9 miles south of where we hunted there was a refuge. I had the priviledge of flying over that refuge 4 days after the season closed. Saw more big bucks in 5 minutes than I had my whole life before or since.

My buddy took me down so close to the one I was afraid he was going to put a hole in our landing gear. Could not have been more than 10 feet. I was up to 13 points when I lost count. And there was at least 5 more to count.

And they can read. They know where the game refuges are, and what areas are posted as 'No Hunting!'

samari46
11-09-2020, 12:44 AM
Was hunting with my cousin many years ago. We had stopped off at another cousin's place to have some home made applejack. Now this in Honesdale Pa way above the snow belt and snow was piled along side this one way road. About 8'. So we are driving along minding our business when a big buck launches himself off one of the snow piles and clear across the road. I just stopped my car and said did you see that?. Dumbfounded I was. Cleared one side and the other and off he went. Haven't thought about that in decades.Frank

bedbugbilly
11-09-2020, 10:52 AM
We have a lot of "flying deer" where we live in Michigan. I had one fly up over the hood of my car quite a few years ago - a doe - she lived for another day.

Many years ago, we had a cop on our township P.D. who thought he was really something special - had a rotten attitude towards everybody - was famous for his "shirt stops" - should never have been a cop. One early morning, we had just gotten back to the station from a structure fire about 2 in the morning and were racking dry hose i the hose beds, refilling air-packs, etc. and the cop I mention drove his cruiser into the bay they used in the station. The front of the cruiser was all crumpled up and it was obvious that he had hit a deer . . . so of course none of us could let it go and we had to give him the berries over it. He was cussing us all out and we knew that he was going to have to explain the damage to the Police Chief who was about ready to fire him anyway. One of the guys walked over to the crosier and looked at the damage to the grill and hood and all of a sudden says, "Hey Barney! (we always referred to him as Barney Fife). Are these bullet holes in your hood?" We all stopped what we were doing and walked over to the cruiser and took a look. The cop started swearing at us again and sure enough, there were two nice round bullet holes in the top of the hood. It didn't take long to fugue out that the deer ended up on top of the hood, was still alive so "Barney" pulled out his pistol and decided to shoot it - missed the animal but not the cruiser. It was "the last straw" for him and made a good legitimate excuse for the Police Chief to can him.