View Full Version : Making sizing die for a Lyman 450?

mstarling
12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Guys,

I need a .412" sizing die for a Lyman 450 ... to size some .417" bullets down for a .405 Winchester rifle.

Do not need to do a lot of them so am reticent to spend $30 on a die. Have a good lathe, boring tools, and lots of barrel drop material in both carbon steel (4130) and stainless steel (416 I think).

These materials OK to make a sizing die from?

Any things to watch for in making such a die?

Thanks!

Mike

454PB
12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I made most all of my Lyman dies from mild steel, and none of them have changed diameter from use. I'd say if you plan to size less than 15K boolits, mild steel is fine.

One time saver I use is that I don't machine the O-ring groove at the die top. I did on the first few, but I found out later it isn't needed as long as the die fits tightly within the nut that holds it in the sizer body. The die LENGTH and correct taper on the bottom is critical to prevent leakage at the bottom.

mstarling
12-10-2008, 04:07 PM
THAT is a BIG help! :)

Do you need the depression at the top below the o-ring groove? Do you remember the angle at the bottom of the die?

Thank you.

454PB
12-11-2008, 01:32 AM
By depression, I assume you mean the reduced diameter below the area covered by the securing nut yes, that's the area where the boolit lube flows. If you mean the groove where the O-ring fits, no.

The angle needs to be the same as an OEM die, I've never actually measured it. I would guess it to be about 30 degrees. The important thing is that the die be long enough to fit tightly against the bottom of the casting, and yet short enough for the securing nut to fully thread into that housing. If that mating surface is not relatively tight, boolit lube will leak out the bottom of the die.

Here are the measurements I have near my computer:

Die length: 1.557"
Diameter of the top (where the O-ring normally fits): .723" Length of this diameter: .068"

Diameter below the O-ring shoulder: .700"

Buckshot
12-11-2008, 04:05 AM
..............The wide shallow groove below the O ring is for the old Lyman 45 lube-sizer's die retaining setscrew. The proceedure I use in creating a Lyman-RCBS type lube-size die, (assuming you've already created the blank diebody) is:

1) Step drill to size for reaming.
2) Remove from collet and drill lube holes.
3) Replace die body and ream to 0.015" - 0.020" under desired ID.
4) Bore to 0.001-0.0015" of desired ID.
5) Taper ream leade.
6) Hone to size.

...............Buckshot

mtnman31
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
What do you use to taper ream the leade?
I am currently learning some lathe basics and still not familair with all the tooling. My short term plan is to make some size dies and then try to make a lead wire extruder. I have already made a few simple top punches and "M" die buttons. In my spare time I have some fellows here at work who are giving me some instruction.

johnly
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Sizing a bullet from .417" to .412" is going to be a chore for your Lyman 450. If you are using a really hard alloy, it might stop you dead in your tracks. I'd suggest a Lee sizer so you can use the extra leverage of your reloading press to squeeze the bullets down to size.

John

mstarling
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Johnly,

Am not familiar with the Lee sizer stuff. Is it a push through arrangement that assumes lube is already on the bullet?

My bullets will be air cooled WW. If the bullets are already sized and lubed to 0.417 do you expect it to be difficult to size them down to .412 with a 450?

If they are sized and lubed to .417" with a 450, can they be pushed through a die built for a heavy leverage press that does not add lube? I have a Rock Chucker and a Corbin so leverage should not be a problem.

Thanks for the thought!

madsenshooter
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
CH4D makes custom push through type dies that go on your standard 7/8 threaded press. They're not cheap like the Lee push through dies however. I think they're around $64. Lee has a .410 die cataloged, but not a .412, however, their custom size dies are only $29. .005" reduction on a bullet already lubed and cast of WW shouldn't be a problem. Looks like Lee would be the way to go, better get with it, there's a 4 week wait. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1229035260.4774=/html/catalog/lubesize.html

johnly
12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I use a 450 myself, but have seen the Lee in use. The usual process is to apply some liquid Alox over the bullets, then run them through the sizer. For this situation, you might consider applying a water based lubricant before sizing them in the Lee die, then wash them in hot water, and then pan lube them, or run them through your 450 to apply the lube.

John

Buckshot
12-13-2008, 03:38 AM
CH4D makes custom push through type dies that go on your standard 7/8 threaded press. They're not cheap like the Lee push through dies however. I think they're around $64. Lee has a .410 die cataloged, but not a .412, however, their custom size dies are only $29. .005" reduction on a bullet already lubed and cast of WW shouldn't be a problem. Looks like Lee would be the way to go, better get with it, there's a 4 week wait. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1229035260.4774=/html/catalog/lubesize.html

.............I make Lee type push through dies for $21 + $2.00 shipping, and it doesn't take a month :-)

..............Buckshot

Buckshot
12-13-2008, 03:40 AM
[QUOTE=mtnman31;445720]What do you use to taper ream the leade?[QUOTE]

.............A taper pin reamer. Most usefull sizes are #5, 6, 7, and 8.

...........Buckshot