PDA

View Full Version : Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?

Hrfunk
11-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Let me know your thoughts folks!

Howard

https://youtu.be/9VIvjbcWIFM

rfd
11-04-2020, 10:29 AM
geez louise. what a crock o' nonsense. snubbies will be around and used for CCW forever. i know mine will ....

MrWolf
11-04-2020, 10:32 AM
I had recently picked up a Kimber 6s 357 3" to basically use as a backup and because I wanted one :lol: Figure this winter I will try and make a holster for it. I did just order a Hogue grip for her as I have some nerve damage in my last three fingers and have found the Hogue grips really help. Thanks for the videos.
Ron

rking22
11-04-2020, 10:45 AM
Yep, most definitely obsolete. Send them to me and I will be sure they are properly dispensed with.

redhawk0
11-04-2020, 10:54 AM
They are still my preferred over a semi-auto. Much more reliable...no jamming. If I can't hit my target in 5-6 defensive shots, then I shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

redhawk

Outpost75
11-04-2020, 11:02 AM
The skill set required to competently and safely manage an autopistol is perishable without regular refresher training and practice.

Once learned, instinctive DA firing of the revolver is more akin to riding a bicycle.

PM sent with more specifics.

Walla2
11-04-2020, 11:07 AM
Very happy with my car gun.

Tatume
11-04-2020, 11:08 AM
I can imagine circumstances in which a large capacity semi-auto might be advantageous. I exercise the best self-defense strategy possible; I don't go there. I'm sorry for those who must. I'll hold onto my J-frame revolvers, thank you.

mattw
11-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Maybe in the mind of the 20 and 30 somethings... but no and likely not to happen. The wonder 9 crowd is swayed by having enough bullets to spray and pray and by not taking or having time to practice.

rbuck351
11-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Ruger alone sells a pile of their LCP snubbies.

Petrol & Powder
11-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Thank You HR. That was well presented.

These topics always result in strong opinions.

While I am well acquainted with both revolvers and pistols, years ago I made a decision to devote to the revolver for CCW.
That was an informed decision and not one I arrived at quickly. However, had I approached that decision just a few years later, I probably would have selected a pistol over the revolver. A big part of that decision was based on what was available at the time.

I'm not convinced that capacity is the predominant issue.

Tatume
11-04-2020, 12:30 PM
To a degree "obsolete" may be somewhat synonymous with "one of those old-fashioned guns."

Hrfunk
11-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Thank You HR. That was well presented.

These topics always result in strong opinions.

While I am well acquainted with both revolvers and pistols, years ago I made a decision to devote to the revolver for CCW.
That was an informed decision and not one I arrived at quickly. However, had I approached that decision just a few years later, I probably would have selected a pistol over the revolver. A big part of that decision was based on what was available at the time.

I'm not convinced that capacity is the predominant issue.

You're welcome. As I mentioned in the video, I think the main considerations are the defensive shooter's preparation and mind set. The specific platform selected by the shooter and the number of rounds it contains are secondary matters.

Howard

labradigger1
11-04-2020, 12:49 PM
1-1/4” barreled NAA 22 wmr in my front pocket at all times I’m awake.
Not obsolete

Shawlerbrook
11-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Yes, I hope many believe that and also that leverguns are also obsolete. I need to find more of both at bargain prices. Many writers and internet bloggers get attention by saying controversial and stupid things.

Old School Big Bore
11-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Back in the '70s I owned a Super Blackhawk. I hunted and shot silhouette with it and became enamored of the .44 bore (blame Elmer, Skeeter et al), and when I decided I needed a more portable option, I obtained a 3" Charter Bulldog. Then when I became a poor struggling rookie law dog, as opposed to an old retired struggling law dog, I was so impressed with the Charter's accuracy that when it came time for me to supply my own service pistol, I bought a 4" Target Bulldog and carried it until I could save up for a used M29. Once I had acquired the 29, the Target Bulldog became sort of superfluous and is one of the few safe queens I'll tolerate. I had a chance to buy a pair of Lew Horton 3" 624s when they first came out but that 'struggling' factor and an evil penny-pinching SWMBO Mk I curtailed that ambition. Anyway since I hardly use the Target Bulldog and have no emotional attachment to it, I have been thinking about trading it off for another 3" model and getting a left-hand holster so I can tote two matched ones. But back to the OP's question, NO I do not think snubbies have lost any of their utility and would not be caught without at least one.
Ed <><

bangerjim
11-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Safest most reliable style of guns ever made. I will always have mine at the ready!

If you don't want them, I will gladly pay the shipping to my house!

banger

Oyeboten
11-04-2020, 03:39 PM
My own on-again-off-again EDC

Maybe not q-u-i-t-e a Snubby proper, but it's a pretty short Barrel.

I've never felt like it would have too few rounds to satisfy.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H7rRf2x9J4Vm.jpg (https://private.fotki.com/PhilBphil/new-misc-2020/img-0005.html)Hosted on Fotki (https://www.fotki.com)

ShooterAZ
11-04-2020, 03:41 PM
I have several snubbies, 2" and 3" S&W Model 10's. I've been trusting my life with them since the mid 1970's. They'll be around for a LONG time.

Tracy
11-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Obsolete? Sure. I guess that's why most of the major and some of the smaller handgun manufacturers keep introducing new snubby revolvers. Including one that never made a revolver before and another that swore off making DA revolvers years ago, but is now introducing multiple new DA revolvers.

downzero
11-04-2020, 04:04 PM
Maybe in the mind of the 20 and 30 somethings... but no and likely not to happen. The wonder 9 crowd is swayed by having enough bullets to spray and pray and by not taking or having time to practice.

37 years old here. Been carrying my j frames for so long that they're among the longest relationships I've ever had. I have wonder nines too, but they always seem to get left at home where my revolver is in my pocket.

Probably have more rounds through a single firearm than all of the posters combined here have on their lifetime. I still don't feel undergunned with a j frame.

I bought a small automatic this year but I still find myself carrying my revolvers more often.

Tatume
11-04-2020, 04:19 PM
My own on-again-off-again EDC

Maybe not q-u-i-t-e a Snubby proper, but it's a pretty short Barrel.

I've never felt like it would have too few rounds to satisfy.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H7rRf2x9J4Vm.jpg (https://private.fotki.com/PhilBphil/new-misc-2020/img-0005.html)Hosted on Fotki (https://www.fotki.com)

That is a REALLY nice pre-war Hand Ejector. Please tell us (or me via PM) more about it. Thanks, Tom

Bull-Moose
11-04-2020, 04:25 PM
I think they look awesome. And they shoot great at short range.

Winger Ed.
11-04-2020, 05:34 PM
I like my 2" .38.
The FBI figured out that as a national average, there is 5 shots fired for 4 CCW cases involving a weapon being discharged.
That, and since I really don't expect to get pinned down in a fire fight; I don't feel the need for a double stack auto.

2A-Jay
11-04-2020, 05:43 PM
My Charter Arms Under Cover has never had a Failure to feed or fire. It is not going to go away anytime soon except my IWB Holster.

Eddie Southgate
11-04-2020, 05:51 PM
No........

Old School Big Bore
11-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Very nice Hand Ejector. Too few .38s and too few .45s are very different concepts.
Ed <><

10-x
11-04-2020, 06:23 PM
Hummm, more drivel by some want a be “ gun writer”. Easy to see who’s read the Masters such as E.K....

rintinglen
11-04-2020, 06:58 PM
"Capacity is King"
This kind of nonsense makes me more than a little angry. Somewhere along the line, the notion has arisen that if you just pull the trigger enough times, you'll win. I knew a fellow who carried a 5904 and 4 spare magazines. Unless you plan on invading Normandy, what possible circumstance could require the use of that much ammunition? Even if you get attacked by a squad of enemy soldiers, skill and accuracy is more important than capacity. The notion that your opponents are going to refrain from shooting you as you work through them one through one through 71 is laughable. Oh, some say, just keep them pinned down while you run to cover. Aside from the fact that you can't miss enough to equal a hit, those bullets that are launched will come down somewhere. Absent purposeful use, those bullets may end up in someone other than the intended recipient.

Fire superiority in handguns is bullets hitting flesh "Diligentia, vis, celeritas;" those are the fundamental elements of defensive marksmanship. Capacitas ain't in it.

FergusonTO35
11-04-2020, 07:06 PM
At my side job shop we frequently sell out of revolvers, more often than the wonder 9's in fact.

elmacgyver0
11-04-2020, 07:18 PM
Hummm, more drivel by some want a be “ gun writer”. Easy to see who’s read the Masters such as E.K....

I for one enjoy Howard's videos.
You know, you don't have to watch them.

Oyeboten
11-04-2020, 07:38 PM
That is a REALLY nice pre-war Hand Ejector. Please tell us (or me via PM) more about it. Thanks, Tom

Thanks Tom!

It is an early Commercial Model .45 ACP, which when I got it, had some damage to the last inch or so of the Barrel, and someone had ruined the front Sight also, so, I shortened and Crowned the Barrel and put a new ( old ) front Sight on.

Good Cheer
11-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Huh, never really thought about it before but you know there's really not much of a clammer for 9mm double action revolvers.

Rick Hodges
11-04-2020, 08:02 PM
The snubbie is alive and well, Thank You! There is perhaps no better tool for a close in grappling fight than a snub nosed double action revolver where the fight is so close that it may be necessary to fire a contact shot. Pressing an autoloader against an assailant will probably take it out of battery and not allow it to fire. They are perhaps the very best concealed back up weapon concealed in the pocket of a uniform tunic or trouser pants.

All handguns are compromises and there is plenty of room for the snub nosed revolver.

All that said, they are not my choice for everyday carry. I opt for a compact single stack semi-auto. It is easier for me to conceal and has the advantage of more capacity and a more capable cartridge than most small snubbies.

rfd
11-04-2020, 08:08 PM
To really get to know about snubbies, try to find a copy of Ed Lovette's "The Snubby Revolver".

Cosmic_Charlie
11-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Don't know if a 3" model 60 qualifies as a snubbie but I love mine. Carry it in a shoulder holster. Hides well under a flannel shirt.

Murphy
11-04-2020, 08:40 PM
I don't see them going away or out of style anytime soon. I was over on Gunbroker the other night and one seller (a good sized outfit) had a 151 revolvers up for auction. About 95% of them, I would classify as a snubby. All but 1 had multiple bids on them.

Murphy

curiousgeorge
11-04-2020, 09:02 PM
My S&W mod 36 no dash gets packed a lot. Thought about getting one if the new light weight Smiths, but after all the time we've spent together, can't see replacing it. My snubbie will be one of the last guns I would ever part with.

Boogieman
11-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Back in the 60's , when sights were clear, my Mdl 36 3" would go 3 out of5 on a 14" gong at 100 yds. never tried it at long range.

FergusonTO35
11-04-2020, 09:26 PM
My S&W mod 36 no dash gets packed a lot. Thought about getting one if the new light weight Smiths, but after all the time we've spent together, can't see replacing it. My snubbie will be one of the last guns I would ever part with.

I really wish S&W would come out with an all stainless version of the 637. I think it would be perfect with a couple ounces more weight. Yes, I know I could just find a used model 60 but those aren't cheap and often have pretty high mileage.

Tatume
11-05-2020, 08:08 AM
To really get to know about snubbies, try to find a copy of Ed Lovette's "The Snubby Revolver".

Is it really worth $100?

Good Cheer
11-05-2020, 08:28 AM
The larger caliber stainless Charter revolvers are just too... cool, nice, replays on the turn of the 19th century personal protection pieces, in the Goldilocks zone, good bang for your bucks, won't rust under your pillow or in your waste band and from what I've seen built to very tight tolerances.
Good guns. Decided the .41 was the best balance of pluses and minuses for me.

Petrol & Powder
11-05-2020, 09:02 AM
To answer the question about Ed Lovette's book, The Snubby Revolver", no it is not worth $100 but it is a good book.

The book is a paperback of about 175 pages. There are two editions with the second being slightly expanded and revised.
Lovette was a LE firearms instructor in New Mexico and later an instructor for the CIA. His book provides some good information based on a lot of experience but would be more useful to those unfamiliar with the DA revolver and DA revolver tactics. A lot of the hard earned revolver skills that were once common knowledge have become less than common knowledge. Lovette attempted to preserve some of those old skills.

Lovette died a few years ago and the price of the book grew substantially. I don't believe there were a lot of copies printed and that may be a factor.

So, yes it is a very good book but worth $100 ? ..no.

Petrol & Powder
11-05-2020, 09:04 AM

Did you actually watch the video or just read the title to the thread and pass judgement?

Hrfunk
11-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the great comments guys! I just finished reading them all. I'm glad the video inspired some good discussion.

Howard

Rick Hodges
11-05-2020, 10:08 AM
Lovette's Book is free on line:

https://archive.org/details/EdLovetteTheSnubbyRevolver/page/n2/mode/1up

lotech
11-05-2020, 10:24 AM
I didn't watch the video. If it's a YouTube or similar creation, I've found that a good place to go as a last resort. However, the author may be a good one or even the best in the business. I don't know.

I've been shooting snub nose S&Ws for more than fifty years. I always keep a variety of them and a Colt or two and shoot them regularly. I'm not a particularly skilled marksman and I've found J-frame guns difficult to master. They're a poor choice for a beginner or the unskilled as they may become easily discouraged, assuming these guns are only useful at extremely close range. A K-frame snub nose is very forgiving and much easier to shoot well, but it's also a lot bigger.

J-frame guns actually will do pretty well at twenty-five yards, but it took a lot of practice for me to find this out. That's the distance I normally use for all my handgun shooting as I learn a lot more toward improving my skills and technique. Shooting at fifteen yards or less only tells a shooter that he's very proficient and even the sorriest of ammunition is accurate. Learn to shoot J-frame guns well at twenty-five yards and you'll be amazed at how much better you shoot at closer distances, even if you thought you already did well close up.

You don't necessarily need +P .38 Special ammo or the latest exotic FBI-endorsed ammo. Shoot what you can consistently hit with. 158 grain standard pressure loads often shoot pretty close to the sights. Spend money on ammo for practice rather than gadgetry like laser grips, night sights, oversized stocks, bobbed hammer, and other modification of dubious worth. You'll probably find you need none of this stuff after you learn to shoot well. Larger stocks make the gun larger and negate the purpose of a J-frame gun. Better to get a larger gun if you truly need larger grips for a J-frame revolver.

Five-shot capacity as opposed to a semi-auto that holds many more rounds of ammo? There are always exceptions, but learn to shoot a J-frame snub nose well and you'll relegate this argument to the armchair gunfighting theorists where it belongs.

onelight
11-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Great video Hrfunk you hit on several points that are almost never brought up.
Good job.

Good Cheer
11-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Lovette's Book is free on line:

https://archive.org/details/EdLovetteTheSnubbyRevolver/page/n2/mode/1up

Thanks!

FergusonTO35
11-05-2020, 12:50 PM
The biggest problem with revolvers in general, but snubbies in particular, is mediocre to downright awful trigger pulls. The Ruger SP-101 I used to have was absolutely terrible, as was my Taurus 856 in stock form. My S&W 637 was acceptable in stock form but still not good, alot of rounds downrange and an 8 pound rebound spring and now it is really good. For a person who is not really a gun enthusiast but just needs a gun for protection, I would probably recommend a compact auto such as a Glock or M&P as they are probably going to shoot it better out of the box. My grandfather was a jailer for 32 years and always carried a Bodyguard in his back pocket. He was an avid hunter, but I don't remember him ever practicing with any of his guns. Fortunately he never had to use that little wheelgun, I doubt he could have hit anything at all beyond bad breath distance.

Fortunately, the Ruger LCR and new S&W Bodyguard have really good trigger pulls out of the box so we are seeing some progress here.

Win94ae
11-05-2020, 01:52 PM
I love my little revolvers, but if I am going to carry a gun, it will be one of my 1911s.

Hickok
11-05-2020, 02:20 PM
I carry an S&W Airweight J-Frame .38 Special +P in my pocket all the time, whether I am packing a larger revolver or auto or not. These are dandy little revolvers!

LouB
11-05-2020, 11:14 PM
I find snubbies are convenient to "keep" in our cars in addition to what we carry (mostly auto's) Easy for the missus to grab and not worry about trying to wrangle back the slides on most of our autos. And in case of a failure to fire, just yank to trigger again.
LouB

Ramjet-SS
11-05-2020, 11:38 PM
That’s ridiculous snubbys are a great asset for CCW very versatile effective and easy to conceal.

.429&H110
11-06-2020, 12:07 AM
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush
A snubbie in hand is worth two in the safe!!

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2020, 08:50 AM
It is amazing how a headline to an article or the title of a thread can steer readers.

Here's the title to the thread, "Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?" - Notice the question mark.

HR did not say that snub nose revolvers are obsolete. He merely titled the thread in the form of a question and many readers took that as if it was a statement.

Drm50
11-06-2020, 09:52 AM
It was a stupid question or statement. I don’t like snubbies but have owned many, mostly J & K frame S&Ws. They are for one purpose to shoot people at close range. They don’t need target triggers, adjustable sights, ect. They are harder for most to shoot well. I’m not good with snubby but take a S&W snub and 4” in same model and shoot off a rest and there is no difference. I thought I would like a m34 Snubby. Never would buy one new. Finally picked one up used. I couldn’t hit a barn with it. Was me not the gun. I had similar experience when I got first m34 4”.
I was use to a heavy K22 and it took me a couple bricks to get in the groove with the Kit Gun. All in all a snub DA is the best SD for non gun people.

Petrol & Powder
11-06-2020, 10:13 AM
It was a stupid question or statement.........

Here's the title to this thread, "Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?"

Where do you see a statement in that title?

Texas by God
11-06-2020, 10:42 AM
I enjoy your videos, sir. And this question has certainly stirred up discussion. Around here, the display cases at the local gun stores have a high turnover rate of brand new snubnose revolvers- so they are definitely not obsolete. I don’t currently own one, but I’m always on the lookout for a shooter grade blued Chiefs Special or Bodygaurd .38 Special. Over the decades I have owned S&Ws, Colts, Charter Arms, and Taurus snubbys and they all worked. I just like the older Smiths better.

Drm50
11-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Here's the title to this thread, "Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?"

Where do you see a statement in that title?

That is my statement, who made you the monitor?

charlie b
11-06-2020, 06:51 PM
The title is just a way to get people to watch the video. More people view the video the more money he makes.

Plate plinker
11-06-2020, 07:38 PM
The title is just a way to get people to watch the video. More people view the video the more money he makes.

Doubt Howard is making much if anything off his channel yet. The view count is still rather low. I think he just enjoys making the videos at this time?

Nazgul
11-06-2020, 08:36 PM
37 years old here.

Probably have more rounds through a single firearm than all of the posters combined here have on their lifetime. I still don't feel undergunned with a j frame.

Really? I have holsters older than you.

Don

Beerd
11-07-2020, 01:00 AM
https://www.imwithroscoe.com/

Hrfunk
11-07-2020, 06:14 AM
If I may clarify; I certainly choose video titles and thumbnail photos that will hopefully motivate people to watch my videos. Doing otherwise would be silly. I produce videos because I enjoy it, but more so for the discussion and interaction it affords me with other firearms enthusiasts. I post links to my videos on about half a dozen forums where the members seem to be interested in watching them, and I hope to inspire an enjoyable discourse (such as this one). Thanks again for all the great comments everyone!

Howard

Tatume
11-07-2020, 08:06 AM
Hi HR,

I for one, enjoy your videos. Please keep them coming.

Sincerely, Tom

snowwolfe
11-07-2020, 11:47 AM
No, snubbies are not obsolete. And I am not going to click on the click bait. I currently own about 6 and would like to add a couple of more when the prices settle back to normal.

Petander
11-07-2020, 11:59 AM

I like them too. And I tend to stretch the range, a short barrel doesn't make a weapon inaccurate, just makes it harder to aim.

I often think people are using too big targets. Try claybirds on a berm @ 25 yds , for example.

RC46
11-07-2020, 02:32 PM
I'm thinkin' this is a rather silly question, try to buy one (especially) today - remember this date. I got the one I bought for my wife out and polished, cleaned, checked the C/T laser batteries and tried to assure it that nobody would be trying to confiscate it. This little Smith is great at what it was designed to do and they will be around a ling time. I liked it so much, I bought it's big brother.

leadeye
11-07-2020, 04:47 PM
I like snubbies in general, but also cut downs. The top is a Colt New Service in 45 LC, the lower is a S&W Hand Ejector in 32-20.

Brick85
11-07-2020, 07:22 PM
I almost died laughing when you said "Only the Sith deal in absolutes"!

Only complaint is the volume was pretty low and I had a hard time hearing it at full volume.

I'm not so much of a revolver guy but my exwife had issues with the slide on an autoloader. So the gun you can sjppt and will carry is much better than the gun you won't.

Idaho45guy
11-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Put me down as a heretic...

The few revolvers I've shot, I've shot poorly. My first carry gun was a S&W 686 back in 1994. It was beautiful, accurate, reliable, and heavy as a pig and hard to shoot well fast.

I bought my ex-wife a S&W 642 that she shot poorly, I shot poorly, and I was not sad to see it go along with her and half my stuff.

I understand the merits of a snub-nose, but the glaringly obvious cons of such a pistol for CCW caused me to choose more wisely.

I carry a Sig P365 that is about the same size a J-Frame, yet has 12 rounds instead of 5, is slimmer, much more accurate, and much faster.

I am just not confident that the self-defense scenario that I am most likely to find myself in will fit in the narrow window of where a snub-nose would be as good or better than my current choice. Meaning, the single attacker, less than 10' away, trying to rob me scenario just doesn't exist in my area.

But the active shooter scenario with targets out to 25 yards away scenario has happened a couple of times over the past decade in my area. So I equip and train for what is more likely.

If you live in an area where there are lots of single-attacker muggings and robberies, then a snubby is probably just fine for you.

Petander
11-08-2020, 11:56 AM
I just realised this m63 is my latest purchase.

https://i.postimg.cc/4yC2fhqh/IMG-20201108-174724-382.jpg

Where I live it's all autos,revolver prices are all time low. Me likes. :)

Hrfunk
11-09-2020, 12:24 PM
I almost died laughing when you said "Only the Sith deal in absolutes"!

Only complaint is the volume was pretty low and I had a hard time hearing it at full volume.

I'm not so much of a revolver guy but my exwife had issues with the slide on an autoloader. So the gun you can sjppt and will carry is much better than the gun you won't.

Ha, ha! The force will be with you, always.

Howard

Baltimoreed
11-10-2020, 09:15 PM
Snubbies are da bomb. Here’s a nice Official Police, a pair of K frame square butts and a rough M&P. I built the Fitz, it’s pitted up but has a super trigger. Got too many of them, but they gotta have that half moon front sight and a square butt.

Baltimoreed
11-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Here’s one that Sherlock would have carried.

Good Cheer
11-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Now that's a fine lookin' piece!

smkummer
11-11-2020, 04:34 PM
Every new shooter ( almost all female including my millennial daughter) I have introduced to 38 revolvers including snubbies has walked away with confidence. Sure we started out with at least light wadcutters but eventually worked up to at least standard service ammo. It was always using a colt ( agent, cobra, det. Special, police positive special and official police) back when used service revolvers were traded in. And I know how to work on them. Confidence is everything and I have never used or heard them say obsolete or “old school” when they are putting the bullets where they want. 90% of the time they outshoot others with a small semi auto. One gal shoot her ruger LC9 very well though. We start with the target at 5 yards and move to 7 ( 21 feet). I never have them shoot single action initially. I do train them how to un cock a revolver though if they later try single action.

smkummer
11-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Romance book writers do the same with a group of women for ideas. Hope he keeps doing what he is doing. He puts his time and sometimes a lot of time into what he does. He speaks clearly and doesn’t talk down to newbies.

Biganimal
11-11-2020, 05:18 PM
snubbies will always be around. I carry one almost every day. i have six to choose from.

tdoor4570
11-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Just got back from the gun shop where I consigned two Taurus P-111 9mm. for sale and did the paper work on a 357 Mag Pug which hope to pick Saturday. just can't work the slides like I used to

Tatume
11-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Here’s one that Sherlock would have carried.

Please tell us more about your Webley and Scott No. 2 Bulldog revolver. Do you have access to 450 Bulldog ammo?

Good Cheer
11-11-2020, 06:11 PM
Picked up a "sheriffs" model 1858.
I can see how people came to make them even shorter.

tdoor,
I've grown quite fond of the Mag Pug.

Geezer in NH
11-11-2020, 06:44 PM
geez louise. what a crock o' nonsense. snubbies will be around and used for CCW forever. i know mine will ....

looks like mine

Geezer in NH
11-11-2020, 06:49 PM
Doubt it. Take a shot in the pelvis and see what you do.

Good Cheer
11-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Load tests for penetration, expansion and foot-pounds is going to be fun and funner with the Mag Pug.
Will have to trim brass back for some molds like the #410426.

Baltimoreed
11-11-2020, 08:09 PM
Tatume, my Webley is considered a ‘late pattern’ .450 Metropolitan Police sn 888xx with a rack number 1351 under the logo. It’s not a Webley Bulldog. It has a 2.5 inch bbl, blued, original checkered grips that unfortunately have shrunken. It has POLICE stamped over the Webley manacled hands [police] logo with M P underneath. The double action worked ok when I got it but is not as good now. Single action is fine. Don’t have a clue as to when it was built though I’m pretty sure it was after 1900 being a late pattern. I came across some imported .450 loads years ago but had trimmed some .455 down prior to finding them. I drilled out the bases of 200 gr rnfp and loaded them light but haven’t shot it in years now.

stubshaft
11-11-2020, 11:12 PM

Don't care for high capacity semi's when a good snubby will do the job.

SSGOldfart
11-12-2020, 12:22 AM
I carry one or two daily and will until 6 carry me.I wish Ruger would build a 3 or 4 shot LCRx in 357mag :popcorn:
Most of the time you only need one shot so why carry 10?:-?

Hi-Speed
11-12-2020, 12:56 AM
Short barreled revolvers...my SP101 is stoked with 170 gr 358429 SWC’s over a healthy dose of Unique...gives us peace of mind when hiking in the High Desert/Sierra foothills. It’s not the bears we worry about but the big cats stalking us...it’s rare but it does happen.

Snub noses are forever... love em!

1hole
11-12-2020, 11:53 AM
I'm old enough to have lived through a few changes in gun fashions. The current irrational obsession with large capacity (more than about 8 rounds) weapons (with fat sights) is fascinating.

If I had reason to believe I was going into a gun battle tomorrow with hordes of attackers I would want a double barreled, belt fed full auto .44 magnum and 3 cases of factory ammo for each barrel ... and a Jap bayonet in a Picatinny rail. But, I'm no Rambo and I know it so if that scenario were truly the case I bet I'd just stay home with my six shooter shotgun tomorrow. Meaning my love of the idea of a long running battle with massive capacity handgun magazines is quite low.

Life is real, it's not a movie. Given the very low probability of actually needing a defensive weapon tomorrow, or ever, while also knowing that having some defense is wise, makes me routinely choose a safe, easy to use, reliable and easily hidden (pocket) snubby. At least until someone markets a compact death ray gun. ??

Jtarm
11-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Sure we started out with at least light wadcutters but eventually worked up to at least standard service ammo.

The .38 target wadcutter is probably the best-kept secret in SD ammo.

Expansion from a .38 Special can be iffy, even with +P rounds.

Terminal performance of the wadcutter is mind-numbingly predictable. It cuts a .36 hole, 16-18” of straight-line penetration in bare gel (roughly the same as a +P that actually expands.). Every single time.

Easy to control and usually shoots to POA in a FS gun. Only downside is slow to reload, for which reason I carry Remington 158 LSWCHP +P for my reloads.

Less than 2% of civilian SD shootings require more than 5 rounds. If a 15-round mag makes you feel comfortable, go for it.

I’ve considered switching to an auto, but here’s why I continue to carry a revolver: contact shots.

I have no stats to prove it, but as a civilian, I figure I am far, far more likely to have to make a contact shot than engage multiple opponents or one at distance (though I’m confident in my ability to hit a man at 50 yards with my M-64.)

In a tussle, it’s easy for an autoloader to get pushed out of battery. With a revolver, you can punch the crap out of your adversary with the barrel, bury it in their mid-section, pull the trigger, and it goes bang.

If I ever feel six isn’t enough, I’ll add a J-frame backup.

Big Ben
11-12-2020, 11:41 PM
I sure like to carry my S & W airweight...Forget I have it on me most of the time.

Good Cheer
11-14-2020, 09:05 AM
The .38 target wadcutter is probably the best-kept secret in SD ammo.

Expansion from a .38 Special can be iffy, even with +P rounds.

Terminal performance of the wadcutter is mind-numbingly predictable. It cuts a .36 hole, 16-18” of straight-line penetration in bare gel (roughly the same as a +P that actually expands.). Every single time.

Easy to control and usually shoots to POA in a FS gun. Only downside is slow to reload, for which reason I carry Remington 158 LSWCHP +P for my reloads.

Less than 2% of civilian SD shootings require more than 5 rounds. If a 15-round mag makes you feel comfortable, go for it.

I’ve considered switching to an auto, but here’s why I continue to carry a revolver: contact shots.

I have no stats to prove it, but as a civilian, I figure I am far, far more likely to have to make a contact shot than engage multiple opponents or one at distance (though I’m confident in my ability to hit a man at 50 yards with my M-64.)

In a tussle, it’s easy for an autoloader to get pushed out of battery. With a revolver, you can punch the crap out of your adversary with the barrel, bury it in their mid-section, pull the trigger, and it goes bang.

If I ever feel six isn’t enough, I’ll add a J-frame backup.

Full heavy wadcutter would be a good choice in the .41 snub as well. Clothing penetration might be a problem so a higher power level would be best... but I'd have to do penetration tests on that though, to know what to believe.

charlie b
11-14-2020, 09:32 AM
You might be surprised at how newer bullets expand/penetrate at lower velocities. This guy has the most extensive tests I have seen on bullet expansion of different calibers/bullets. One thing that is nice, the .38spl rounds were fired from 2" and 4" barrels.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#38spl

tdoor4570
11-17-2020, 10:44 AM
Got my new 357 Mag Pug home yesterday, got it cleaned up , loaded with 125gr factory . Now have to start getting brass ready for it and have to cast more 357 dia slugs of different weights. then the fun begins .

pettypace
11-17-2020, 11:03 AM
If five shots aren't enough, consider the possibility of two-projectile loads. Here's a five shot, ten hole target.