PDA

View Full Version : Nikon “lifetime” scope warranty has fizzled

Tripplebeards
11-03-2020, 08:48 PM
Well, I bought a Prostaff 5 2.5x10 bdc scope brand new from optics planet a month or so before Nikon announced they were discontinuing sell scopes. I love my Nikons and figured they would just repair my dozen and a half Nikons I’ve purchased over the years if they ever failed. As Murphy’s Law would take affect I have had that pro staff 5 2.5x10 scope sitting on a gun and collecting dust. I’ve had to the range twice and shot Less than 20 to 40 rounds through and it failed. It was shooting a foot left at one yards and four inches high with the very next shot after zeroing it in. I took it back to 50 yards and the next shot was 7” right! I adjusted it 16 clicks left and my bullet hit on the same hole as the first. I adjusted it 16 more to the left and I was completely off the 2.5’ square paper target. I pulled the optic off, called Nikon and they told me to send it in with my original receipt. I sent it Usps so I could track it. They have had it for about a month now. I received an email that it was on the bench over a week ago and today I get an email saying it’s not repairable because it wasn’t an “economic” repair for them so Nikon emailed a voucher to use on their website for $229 which they felt was a suggested retail price. First of all I sent my receipt showing I paid $273 and some change for it a little over a year ago. Second, why would I want a voucher to use on their website when I need a scope and they don’t sell them anymore. I don’t want a range finder, a camera, or camera lens! I called Nikon support a few minutes ago and was as polite as i could be and explained I wanted my optic repaired, replaced (could even replace it with a similar magnification optic), or refund my purchase. I can’t believe after selling optics for decades they don’t carry enough parts in stock for repairs...after stop selling scopes for only a year or so. What scares me is I have a good dozen and a half other Nikon Monarchs and Pros staffs and will have to go through this again in and when they fail. I’m sure I don’t have receipts for all of them as well. I still have brand new Nikon scopes in boxes I haven’t used yet. I might remove all the Nikons after hunting season and eBay all of them. I will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

remy3424
11-03-2020, 09:08 PM
Great, I have several of the Buckmasters 6x18s on my prairie dog rifles and this spring I noticed one must have got bumped pretty good and the entire windage turret seemed to be knocked loose. Hadn't got around to sending it in, guess I don't have to worry about that now.

kungfustyle
11-03-2020, 09:41 PM
Stinks that they aren't going to pony up. This almost sounds like a class action law suit waiting to happen. I have three of the Prostaff's. On the other side don't rule out Burris scopes and Bushnell's are offering a lifetime warranty now too. Hawk's are good scopes also lifetime. https://www.hawkeoptics.com/ I have all 4 Nikon included.

Tripplebeards
11-03-2020, 10:58 PM
I forgot to add that when I told them if they refunded my money I would buy another NIB Nikon scope...or if I could find another Nikon pro staff 5 2.5x10 optic thats still new in the box for sale on a retail site if they would purchase it for me or send a refund for the exact amount for a replacement. The Nikon rep told me if I purchased any new Nikon scope currently, that a few retailers still have in stock, they will only give a seven-year warranty although it states on the box “lifetime warranty”. I found a few of my same scope for sale abs in stock at academy and Amazon. I sent them the links. I have no expectation for them to purchase one from a retailer to replace mine but figured I’d give them a heads up that there are plenty of their products still available that they can’t service. I’m probably better off to take my money and run if they offer it. It if end up with a replacement optic and it fails I’ll be in the same boat all over again. I have a feeling the unadvertised, restructured new “7 year” lifetime warranty will probably disappear soon as well.

FergusonTO35
11-05-2020, 03:49 PM
I have a Buckmasters 4-12x40 on my .257 and have been on the fence about selling it while it is still fairly new and has some value. Guess I got my answer...

nagantguy
11-05-2020, 03:57 PM
What a shame - two of my favorite scopes wear the Nikon name, from what I’ve read their sporting optics line was a long term money loser, produce a great product and sell it at attractive prices and warranty it for life and not make a nickel? Sounds like another company that’s played the shell
game with their finances think Remington. Sorry to hear about your troubles- sending a scope in from a major brand should be as easy as it gets! If all you get is the 229 or whatever they offered I’d wholeheartedly endorse Vortex .

dverna
11-05-2020, 06:06 PM
I have a Nikon scope that lost it's zero and have not bothered getting it repaired. I did not realize I would need to provide a receipt so looks like I am out of luck anyway.

It is sad to see a company screw it's customers. There is a lot of sale pricing on their scopes so informed people should consider that when contemplating a purchase. I was tempted to get one but figured Nikon would do just what has been reported here.

toallmy
11-06-2020, 09:17 AM
I sent in a omega scope for repair without the recipe ( the adjustments wouldn't move the point of aim ) Nikon gave me a 350. Online store credit . That's not what I wanted to happen because I liked the scope and wanted it fixed but the wife is getting a new camera although I'll have to pay the difference . I'll still need a scope !!!!!!

charlie b
11-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Has anyone actually read the warranty? Does it say what will happen if you need a replacement? Does it say you will get cash back and how is that value determined?

I understand a bit of frustration that you cannot get a replacement, BUT, this is an issue with ANY mfg. If Weaver had a lifetime warranty, then yep, you are out of luck these days. Vortex may go out of business next month. If so I am out if I have a problem with my scopes. Place your money, take your chances.

Heck, at least you are getting store credit. I give Nikon a huge thumbs up for this one.

Tripplebeards
11-06-2020, 11:00 AM
My warranty papers got sent with the scope. It’s specifically states lifetime repair or replacement warranty. No cash value or credit back. If I get stuck with it I’ll just end up buying something with the credit that I can throw on eBay and try and get some of my money back to buy a scope with. Too bad they’re not even willing to credit me what I paid for it on the original sales receipt from optics planet that I sent in with the scope. Maybe somebody here will trade me my credit for a scope?

Tripplebeards
11-06-2020, 11:50 AM
On the phone with Nikon as I type. I was told Nikon stopped servicing all Nikon riflescopes and have gotten rid of all their scope parts and scope inventory in March of this year. So basically when I was told to send in my scope for repair or replacement a month ago they had zero intentions of repairing or replacing it. Their process was apparently to verify it failed so they could offer my a credit voucher. If they would have told me this I would have never sent it in. So no answers yet from Nikon yet. The representative said no guarantees but Nikon will probably refund me. Nikon also magically lost my sales receipt I sent in with the box. I was told if I could call optics planet to have them re print my receipt that Nikon lost when trying to repair my optic.

farmbif
11-06-2020, 12:10 PM
ive given up on warranties many years ago, most of em are not worth the paper they are printed on. leupold, vortex are rare exceptions. I had one of those prostaffs I got at a Walmart for 79.99 when they were clearing them out and never felt it was quite right on my 300BO build and gave it to my best friends son when he was getting into shooting sports.

Uncle R.
11-06-2020, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry to read about this. I have several Nikon Monarch scopes. They have excellent image quality and accurate adjustments. I like them a lot, but I harbor no delusions that they'll last forever. Nothing does. I'm saddened to think that when they finally fail they'll be difficult or impossible to repair.

On the other hand - it's quite likely they'll all last longer than I will.
:bigsmyl2:

Colonel Cooper said ALL scopes will fail eventually and I suspect he was right. I certainly wouldn't embark on a dream hunt in Alaska or Africa with a thirty-year-old scope on my rifle - no matter what brand. If a scope fails at a critical moment the best warranty in the world won't get you back that lost opportunity for a trophy.

I don't put much faith in warranties because things change, companies merge, go out of business, or just unilaterally change the terms of their warranty. Look at how many of the biggest fortune 500 companies from 50 years ago are gone today. Need parts, service, warranty repair? Good luck.

Try getting a warranty repair under the lifetime warranty on your 1975 Redfield scope. Had any luck lately getting your 1970 Bausch & Lomb scope repaired by the manufacturer? Do you have a good warranty on your Stith, or your Noske?

I've bought scores of rifle scopes in the last 50 years. They range from high-end Leupold and Nikon scopes, through mid-range scopes from companies like Burris or Weaver, all the way down to some $29 box store abominations. Every one of what I call the "undersea" scopes has failed. There were a half-dozen of them or more. Undersea? That's as in "Cost less than a C-note." Out of more than 20 better quality scopes two have failed so far. One an old Redfield that fogged internally, and one a Leupold Vari-X III that goes out of focus as you rotate the power ring.

Both of those scopes served well for many years before they failed. The Redfield endured perhaps 15 years of hard hunting, the Leupold over 20 years. By comparison, some of the cheapest scopes failed almost immediately. Few lasted more than a couple of years. In scopes, like in so many other things, you pretty much really do get what you pay for.

Leupold's warranty is gold right now but I promise you even that will change some day. Nothing lasts forever. I'll still buy Leupold scopes - not just because of the warranty but because I think their scopes are high quality and an excellent value.

Choose wisely when buying a scope. Make your choices based on quality and price. I wouldn't give too much weight to warranty promises in making my decision. As always, YMMV.

Uncle R.

11-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you just have to play the game of reducing losses. Get your receipt reprinted if you did not make a copy, send it in, and look for a full refund. I would try getting Optics Planet involved in the refund, maybe VISA as well—long shot, I know--if you paid with a visa.

Murphy
11-06-2020, 02:01 PM
I read about Nikon getting out of the scope business sometime back. My sentiments fall in line with most here about it. I purchased it new a little over 10-11 years ago. It's seen little use on a Stevens 200 in 308. I'd put the Nikon 3X9 on the Stevens 200 as a an inexpensive backup rifle for deer season. For me, that leaves me feeling pretty good about having a couple of older Tasco scopes made in Japan. So, looks like if I put together another inexpensive Rifle/Scope package the rifle will get one of my older Tasco scopes, or a lower end Leupold.

Murphy

FergusonTO35
11-06-2020, 03:42 PM
We have the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 at my side job shop for $180.00 less my discount. For my needs and budget, I think that one is going to get the nod to replace my Buckmasters.

toallmy
11-07-2020, 02:36 AM
Has anyone actually read the warranty? Does it say what will happen if you need a replacement? Does it say you will get cash back and how is that value determined?

I understand a bit of frustration that you cannot get a replacement, BUT, this is an issue with ANY mfg. If Weaver had a lifetime warranty, then yep, you are out of luck these days. Vortex may go out of business next month. If so I am out if I have a problem with my scopes. Place your money, take your chances.

Heck, at least you are getting store credit. I give Nikon a huge thumbs up for this one.
Agree a hundred percent , they did there best to do right by me .

Tripplebeards
11-08-2020, 10:40 AM
If they end up refunding me I will give Nikon a benefit of the doubt and be buying another Nikon to replace it. I do love my Nikon’s and have faith in the dozen or so i currently own and all have held up and have been working fine. I found a refurbished 2.5x10 monarch for $223.00. I own a few of these I paid $400 for and would trust my life on. I have several Monarch optics that are close to 20 years old and never had one fail. At the amount of money Nikon talked about reimbursing me I would have pay twice the money for another brand and don’t have extra in my budget to do so. I will roll the dice will end up buying a 90 day warranty refurbished optic and end up tossing it if, and when, it fails. I did find more of the same 2.5x10 pro staff 5 optic I currently have that are brand new for about $20/$30 more then Nikon is considering reimbursing me but I an paranoid to buy a new replacement of the same optic since mine failed. I have several of the PS 5 3.5x14 and Nikon Monarch 2.5x10’s and they have been bullet proof. The 2.5x10 PS 5 that failed is the first one I bought and tried. The pro staff “5”, 5 3.5 x14’s thst o own are an earlier generation from the 2.5x10 and I believe they aren’t manufactured the same. From what I’ve read the refurbished Nikons for sale aren’t repairs. They are mainly open box optics that were never mounted or used. Haven’t heard back from Nikon yet so I’m just looking around for 2.5x10 replacement scope options while I wait to hear what they can or can’t do for me. The Nikon representative told me Friday that they have been refunding customers pretty regularly for defective scopes if one fails and the person does not want a credit voucher. I was told no guarantees but that it was the probably going to happen instead of offering another style or magnification riflescope since they current have zero scopes left in their inventory or repair parts. So FYI Nikon scope owners, if anyone sends a defective scope in for repair all Nikon will be doing is verifying it’s defective and offering a credit voucher. It is what it is, but I still love all my Nikon scopes that work properly.

toallmy
11-08-2020, 01:48 PM
It's a shame Nikon made clear scopes at a decent price .

Tripplebeards
11-08-2020, 02:09 PM
My cheap Pro staffs are clearer and brighter than my $1600 Leupold Mark 4.

Lloyd Smale
11-10-2020, 07:37 AM
buddy and i were just wondering about nikons warantee. I guess im done with them because i sure dont need camera crap if one goes bad. It will be leupold and vortex for here on out.

Tripplebeards
11-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Yep, they pretty much have written off all their hunting clientele.

popper
11-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Nikon will be gone in the future. sent in a couple back in few years, nothing wrong with them they said. Like Kodak, were good but market dried up. Can't stay in business just with binos. Nikon high end cameras you can't give away.

Lloyd Smale
11-10-2020, 11:06 AM
Nikon will be gone in the future. sent in a couple back in few years, nothing wrong with them they said. Like Kodak, were good but market dried up. Can't stay in business just with binos. Nikon high end cameras you can't give away.

ya it makes me wonder. Most people today dont even have a camera they use there cell phones and the market if flooded with good binoculars. I read the reason they did it was there buyers of binocs and cameras were mostly yuppies that are anti gun. Even camera land who sells all kinds of scopes and binocs along with cameras said that for years nikon would not let them sell both cameras and scopes. It was one or the other. My guess is the bean counters there are anti gun.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-10-2020, 11:42 AM
I guess I got left holding the bag on this one. I've got 5 of them mounted on various rifles. I thought they were a good scope, and haven't had a trouble with mine, but if I do I guess I'll be up a creek without a paddle. Like they say, "there oughta be a law", consumer protection of some sort. This "lifetime warranty" hype that so much stuff is sold with obviously means the company's lifetime and not ours.

DG

Tripplebeards
11-10-2020, 12:32 PM
I have five of the 3.5x14 pro staff 5's, three of the Monarch 2.5x10's, the crossbow BDC scope, ATB 8x Bonuclars, a 3x9 pro staff still in the box, and a few others I dont remember. If they refund me I probably will buy a refurb 2.5x10 monarch with the proceeds. Ot only has a 90 day warranty so I will toss it if and when it fails. I did find NIB pro staff 7 2.5x10 for $174 but I would have to buy a 30mm DNZ mount to replace the current 1".

Tripplebeards
11-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Nikon emailed today and said they would refund my purchase and it would take 14 days before I would receive it. They never dis fims my receipt and said I would receive a check for $229.00. I'll have to call optics planet and see what I paid for it. If it was substantially more I'll ge the receipt emailed to me and I will foward it to Nikon. Call me stupid but I believe I will end up buying another Nikon with the proceeds. I found a 2.5x10 Pro staff 7 NIB for $174 and a refurbished 2.5x10 Monarch 3 for $223. If some other company made a 2.5x10 for what I am getting refunded I would jump on it. Every other manufacturer is about $500 on up.

FergusonTO35
11-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Took the Buckmasters 4-12x40 off my .257 and installed a new Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 that I bought awhile back because the price was too good to pass up. And, turns out I like the Trophy better. The glass seems more clear and the DOA 600 reticle is easier on my eyes than the reticle with circles that the Buckmasters had. I have always had good success with the mid-priced Bushnell scopes like this one, so hopefully it will last a good while.

charlie b
11-10-2020, 09:05 PM
But, your Leupold and Vortex warranties are only good as long as the company is around. Yeah, Leupold has been around a long time, but, Weaver had been around a long time too. And Vortex might go away or get bought out when the current leadership retires. Never know what the future will bring.

Tripplebeards
11-11-2020, 07:27 PM
But, your Leupold and Vortex warranties are only good as long as the company is around. Yeah, Leupold has been around a long time, but, Weaver had been around a long time too. And Vortex might go away or get bought out when the current leadership retires. Never know what the future will bring.

I agree. I looked and a 2.5x10 vortex viper with regular crosshairs on line for $249 last night. I believe I will probably roll the dice and buy a refurbished 2.5x10 monarch bdc for $223 which is my favorite close range optic. The same company had NIB pro staff 7 2.5x10 30mm tube for $174. I am considering it as a second choice. It's nice that this one is brand new in the box but I'm guessing the monarch has better glass. The only issue is I will have to buy a 30mm dnz ring set up to replace my 1" DNZ which will cost more in the long run. So far the refurb monarch is in the lead for replacent. I still like my Nikon optics and imo they have clearer and brighter glass than most optics out there under a grand.

Gray Fox
11-11-2020, 09:21 PM
I've bought 2 refurbished Nikon digital SLR cameras and have had no problems at all. My theory is that a refurbished item is probably something that failed early on and once refurbished has had the bugs worked out of it. Perhaps such a scope will also work well. GF

Tripplebeards
11-20-2020, 05:24 PM
I received my $229 refund check yesterday. I also sold a NIB 3-9 prostaff on eBay two days ago for $180.00. I bought the 3-9 prostaff from Dick’s on sale for $79 this past spring. I saw they were selling on eBay for $185 so I figured if I sold it for that kind of money I could upgrade to a $174.00 pro staff 7, 2.5-10 with a 30 mm tube and a front focus which I need for my eyes. I ordered a refurbished 2.5-10 Monarch 3 for $223 and the new prostaff 7 for an additional $27 out of pocket. The company I bought them from has a no hassle 15 day free return so I will inspect them when the scopes arrive. I figured. If the Monarch is scratched, dented, or has reign marks I will return it for another PS 7. I was told most the refurbished scopes look like brand new.

I had to roll the dice just because I love my Nikon scopes. Also it was the only one that failed me. I wrecked a few from loose scope rings in the past. If they fail the refurb I’ll just toss out and the PS 7 has a 7 year warranty for credit or refund.

crackers
11-20-2020, 07:40 PM
To get your receipt, go to Optics Planet and login. At the bottom of the homepage is 'My Orders'. The record is right there.

Tripplebeards
11-20-2020, 09:27 PM
To get your receipt, go to Optics Planet and login. At the bottom of the homepage is 'My Orders'. The record is right there.

No records of it. I must have ordered it without an account set up. I ordered a couple of utradot matchdots from them and there is no record either.

FergusonTO35
11-23-2020, 01:22 PM
Just sold my $130.00 Buckmasters II for $202.50, so alot of folks still really want them.

RKJ
11-23-2020, 03:16 PM
I've got 3-4 Nikon Buckmasters and Prostaff and really like them. I'm more disappointed that they've stopped selling them than I am about the warranty. If I can still find them for around $150.00 I'll buy them and hope my luck holds.

Ban
11-23-2020, 08:16 PM
Sad news. We have a bunch. Never had a fail. Lucky me bought them all at clearance or used prices. Thanks for theheads up though.

Teddy (punchie)
11-23-2020, 08:45 PM
Is Burris still around, I like there items.

Only trouble I ever had with scopes was a gun falling. They will not cover a damaged tube, or sight adjustment that user damage and not the manufacturer.

I have bought a number of used scopes and there okay. Most of the scope ?? end up being the mount.

Idaho45guy
11-23-2020, 10:12 PM
I have an older Prostaff 4x12 that was on a .30-06 for years with no issues. I've bought probably another half dozen Nikon scopes that I have been really happy with.

Then last month, I took the old Nikon off the Ruger and mounted it on a Model 70 in .30-06 Ackley Improved. I went to sight it in and now the reticle is not responding to the adjustments. Tried the old trick of tapping on the turrets with a block of wood and they move, but still erratically.

Going to replace it with a Vortex.

tankgunner59
11-23-2020, 10:42 PM
Several years ago I bought a Savage Axis 30-06 combo at a LGS. The scope was an entry level Bushnell, it turned out to be a fixed power rimfire scope. I took my first shot and the crosshairs dropped to one side diagonally. I contacted Bushnell and they had me send it in. It was declared un-repairable, which I already figured. I received an email telling me and informing me I would receive a new scope in 7 - 10 days. It came in 5 days and I put it on my grandsons Crickett. In the mean time I had bought a new Bushnell 3-9X40 for my 30-06 and it's still on there after many many rounds shot.

Winger Ed.
11-23-2020, 10:51 PM
Bushnell 3-9X40 for my 30-06 and it's still on there after many many rounds shot.

I had one and it did a great job for me.

What I learned one day is that if you're going downhill, carrying a deer over your shoulders, holding its legs and a rifle--
When you fall, and push the rifle (scope facing downward) out to break your fall,,,,
the scope tube, as well as a Remington stock, they can both be crushed, bent, and broken all at once.

Tripplebeards
11-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Well apparently a lot of people beside myself like Nikon’s because the 100 plus NIB pro staff seven 2.5-10’s that were still on hand when I ordered last Friday are all gone at Natchez shooter supply for $174. When I talk to Natches they said they had 166 on hand the week prior...and for months. They told me not to worry because there hadn’t been many sales for either of the optics I wanted for months... so I would assume Black Friday,Christmas, or deer hunting must’ve got people buying them. They were about half off so it was a great deal imo. I did have a chance to talk to one of employees Monday. My order wasn’t shipped yet and I asked if they could go back and open up some of the refurbished Monarch 2.5 by tens to make sure I get one that looks like new. If I didn’t do that I’d be a little nervous because I was going to return the monarch if it was beat up and get another $174 pro staff seven that now does not exist. There’s a couple on eBay for $280 bucks but I’ll pass. It seems if you go on eBay you can sell your Nikon scope for almost double what you paid for it so there is a demand yet. I was reassured by Nikon and Natchez that the Monarch glass is better than the Pros staff 7...which I already knew. Now that the 7’s are gone I wish I ordered another one at that price. I’m putting the pro staff 7 on my 450BM gun site scout and will finally start shooting it. My guess is some hoarder probably cleaned out Natchez and figured they could make 100 bucks a pop on them on eBay and Amazon where they are getting sold for a $100 more.

FergusonTO35
11-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Several years ago I bought a Savage Axis 30-06 combo at a LGS. The scope was an entry level Bushnell, it turned out to be a fixed power rimfire scope. I took my first shot and the crosshairs dropped to one side diagonally. I contacted Bushnell and they had me send it in. It was declared un-repairable, which I already figured. I received an email telling me and informing me I would receive a new scope in 7 - 10 days. It came in 5 days and I put it on my grandsons Crickett. In the mean time I had bought a new Bushnell 3-9X40 for my 30-06 and it's still on there after many many rounds shot.

Package rifle scopes and mounts are a joke. Even when the scope is decent, like a Buckmasters II, it comes installed with a crooked reticle in flimsy Tasco quality mounts every single time. Of course, many who buy such a rifle assume that it is sighted in and ready to hunt!

444ttd
11-25-2020, 03:01 PM
back in the early 90s, i was a swift scope guy. they had a over the counter warranty. they were as good as leopold scopes, but cheaper. so i bought and used them. as time changes, so does the company. it was 4 or 5 times when i did need it. now its warranty is garbage. you have to pay to ship it to swift along with a check to ship it back. parts and pieces are extra. i do not need their business anymore.

i looked around and i found that leopold and vortex will warranty the scopes for life. i dug a little bit deeper and i found out that leopold scope's eye relief was bigger, so now i'm a leopold man. my brother is a vortex man. give me a 2-7x leopold any day and twicet on sunday!!!! i still have swift scopes, but someday when they break, i'll replace it with a leopold.

Tripplebeards
11-25-2020, 04:45 PM
I have a few leupold 2-7’s. They are one of favorites. I have a couple of leupold vx11’s I bought new around 90’ or so. One kept shifting POA, when I moved the turrets the POA didn’t move, and the glass was really foggy. I sent it in 15 plus years ago for repair. They sent it back saying it checked out fine and nothing was wrong. I was told the glass is clear for a vx11 and the adjustments moved properly and didn’t lock up. I lost faith in leupold after that. It still consistently looses it’s POA every other year since by 3 to 6 inches. A five dollar tasco air rifle scope is clearer and brighter. I noticed last week the the purple blue coating on the lens is almost completely off and 100’s of little looking scratches on the lens . If I had to guess from years of cleaning it. It’s going back to leupold next week. I called and told them it needs lens replacement and the adjustment springs replaced. I was told if they choose not to repair it would be replaced by the freedom line. I was told it’s the upgraded vx11 model by Leupold.

444ttd
11-25-2020, 07:10 PM
I have a few leupold 2-7’s. They are one of favorites. I have a couple of leupold vx11’s I bought new around 90’ or so. One kept shifting POA, when I moved the turrets the POA didn’t move, and the glass was really foggy. I sent it in 15 plus years ago for repair. They sent it back saying it checked out fine and nothing was wrong. I was told the glass is clear for a vx11 and the adjustments moved properly and didn’t lock up. I lost faith in leupold after that. It still consistently looses it’s POA every other year since by 3 to 6 inches. A five dollar tasco air rifle scope is clearer and brighter. I noticed last week the the purple blue coating on the lens is almost completely off and 100’s of little looking scratches on the lens . If I had to guess from years of cleaning it. It’s going back to leupold next week. I called and told them it needs lens replacement and the adjustment springs replaced. I was told if they choose not to repair it would be replaced by the freedom line. I was told it’s the upgraded vx11 model by Leupold.

i have 3 of 2-7x freedom and 2 of the older 3-9x vx 1. so far, the scopes haven't been in Leopold's shop for repair. but if leopold doesn't do your vx2(11), then i'd be fine with the freedom scope.

Tripplebeards
11-25-2020, 07:41 PM
I’m sure 30 years of improvement on glass coatings and clarity will be worth it’s weight in gold if they upgrade me. I’m not holding my breath since Leupold returned it before and said nothing was wrong with it years ago. I’m just sick of the foggy glass...besides it loosing zero all the time. My other 3-9 vx11 I have zero issues with. I can see my target clearer with my bare eyes at 100 yards than with this scope.

Here’s a picture that I took of the lens you can barely see what’s left of the coding that I outlined. It looked close to the same when I sent it in 15+ years ago. Between this and POA shifting and Leupold sending it back to me with nothing done forced me to never buy another leupold again. I’ve sold a few off since. I still own several of them. I just don’t expect their warranty department to back them and make more excuses of poor eyes and shooter errors. I am sure years of cleaning caused this. I see they advertise scratch proof glass. Lol
https://i.imgur.com/MhAd5Fc.jpg

Now that I look at this it looks like the lenses popped out....nope, just the way it looks in the picture. Forgot, I have 3. I have the 100 th anniversary 3-9 as well.

Tripplebeards
11-27-2020, 10:25 PM
My new pro staff 7 and refurbished Monarch showed up today from Natchez shooters supply. The refurbished Monarch looks brand spanking new and has the factory lens caps to boot! Extremely happy with the looks and clarity of both. Hopefully they both will last a lifetime. Like all my other Nikon’s...except for the pro staff 5 I just sent in. My Leupold will be sent in after Sunday as our gun deer season ends.

dtknowles
11-28-2020, 12:58 AM
I never put much stock in warranties. The few times I have tried to collect it was not worth the hassle. I have successfully collected on a couple warranties but like I said it was not worth the time and frustration. Once was a Nikon camera. I saved receipts and warranty paperwork and did warranty registration for years. I don't anymore, that stuff just goes in the trash. I never buy extended warranties. I have some expensive scopes that if malfunction or are damaged I hope can be repaired, I would pay to repair them. I have had some less expensive scopes fail and I don't think due to damage. I have not put them in the trash, wish I could work on them.

I don't have a single optic that is critical to anything important. I don't hunt or shoot competition but I would hate to think I might have a high end scope that was just trash.

Tim

jonp
11-28-2020, 06:11 AM
I've been a Nikon fan since I got a set of Monarch Binocs and went on Safari. For the price the clarity can't be beat and took a back seat to none of the big high dollar ones like Leica, Zeiss etc. Still running fine. I have a number of Nikon's on my rifles and have never had a problem. I also wasn't concerned outside of being disappointed when they announced they were exiting the scope business. They are in a crowded sector price wise and just didn't have anything to distinguish them from the others and get people to try them. I even looked for a Nikon to mount on my 416 but couldn't find one so settled on a Leopold Gold Ring which is a fine scope. Guess I've been lucky as I've never had a scope outside of a Tasco or some chinese off brand fail on me which I expect them to do for what I spend. I keep a couple around for testing on different rifles (Firefield anyone?). Redfield, Bushnell, Nikon, Burris all have been good.

Vortex...Guy who runs a long range shooting school at my club and was a former Army Sniper swears by them. Says for the money you spend you can't get better. I've never had one, though

Package rifle scopes and mounts are a joke. I agree. Always save a few and buy the rifle bare then put on something decent unless its just a first time rifle or one your going to keep as backup in case your primary fails for some reason at camp. Oh, always take 2 rifles hunting. I learned that the hard way.

BTW: There are very few scopes made entirely in The US. Most assembled here have foreign components like the glass. Vortex has Chinese and Philippine entry models for example of that.

Tripplebeards
11-29-2020, 10:14 AM
My buddies who have Swarovski binoculars bought Nikon Monarch bought Nikon ATB binoculars first for the $360 price point at the time and both say they can’t tell any difference till it’s gets very dark out.

Texas by God
11-29-2020, 01:48 PM
I used a Prostaff Rimfire 4x for years on my 581 Remington with happiness. I moved it to my .450 Marlin bolt action for a while, then to my .300 BO AR- where it lived until it died. I noticed an 8" shift in POI after a week of normal back floorboard riding. It sighted back in but shifted again with a palm slap. This was 3 or 4 years ago. I contacted Nikon and sent it in. They replaced it with a newer model of 4x Prostaff and so far it is hanging in there. I take the rimfire name on it to denote the closer range parallax setting- not a strength limit. I'm not a variable scope fan, but I've owned two Nikon 3x9s and other than the reticle not being my taste- they were good scopes.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
11-30-2020, 05:31 PM
back in the early 90s, i was a swift scope guy. they had a over the counter warranty. they were as good as leopold scopes, but cheaper. so i bought and used them. as time changes, so does the company. it was 4 or 5 times when i did need it. now its warranty is garbage. you have to pay to ship it to swift along with a check to ship it back. parts and pieces are extra. i do not need their business anymore.

i looked around and i found that leopold and vortex will warranty the scopes for life. i dug a little bit deeper and i found out that leopold scope's eye relief was bigger, so now i'm a leopold man. my brother is a vortex man. give me a 2-7x leopold any day and twicet on sunday!!!! i still have swift scopes, but someday when they break, i'll replace it with a leopold.

I still have a little Swift 1.5-4.5x20 on my bolt action .223. Previously it was on one of my .30-30's, and always held zero through a decade or so of clambering up and down trees and never fogged. For a sub-$100.00 scope it has been fantastic, it seems quite similar to the old Bushnell Banners- which I think are the best cheap scopes ever made.

FergusonTO35
11-30-2020, 05:36 PM
Package rifle scopes and mounts are a joke. I agree. Always save a few and buy the rifle bare then put on something decent unless its just a first time rifle or one your going to keep as backup in case your primary fails for some reason at camp. Oh, always take 2 rifles hunting. I learned that the hard way.

Around here, you can often get a better deal on a package rifle than the same gun sans scope. I just put 'em on Fleabay while they are still new. My Remington 700 ADL 6.5 Creedmoor was such a rifle, came with a no-name scope and ugly mounts for a little over $400.00. Installed a dependable Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 in Leupold mounts and she's an honest sub-MOA rifle!

444ttd
12-02-2020, 07:11 PM
I still have a little Swift 1.5-4.5x20 on my bolt action .223. Previously it was on one of my .30-30's, and always held zero through a decade or so of clambering up and down trees and never fogged. For a sub-$100.00 scope it has been fantastic, it seems quite similar to the old Bushnell Banners- which I think are the best cheap scopes ever made.

i have a 4x and i don't know how many 3-9x swifts. i still use them and like them. they were a good brand, but........

my swift scopes aren't ready for junk pile yet. they been on rifles for about 20+ years. never fogged, still hold their crispness and always held zero. yet when the day comes, i'll put on a leopold.

godzilla
12-05-2020, 08:49 AM
I just sent in a 2-7x prostaff under warranty...for wandering zero. I would like another scope but if they only credit now I guess my wife gets a new camera and I go over to Vortex.

Prairie Cowboy
12-07-2020, 07:19 PM
A lifetime warranty is only good as long as the company wishes to honor it.

After that, your product warranty can not be honored because it's lifetime has ended.

"So sad Sir but it's "dead". Sorry for your loss." :sad:

Winger Ed.
12-07-2020, 07:39 PM
A lifetime warranty is only good as long as the company wishes to honor it.

After that, your product warranty can not be honored because it's lifetime has ended.

Now that Sears is gone, some of the Craftsman tool warranty died with them.
I had a rather old 3/8 ratchet that stripped its gears.
In the old days- when ya took it to Sears, they'd swap you out not matter how old it was, or how it got broken.

I took it to a local hardware store that now sells craftsman tools.
The handle shape on the new ones are a little different than the old ones, and they have a different part number assigned to them.
The store would only replace it if it had the exact same part number as the new ones.

All the older generation tools have been orphaned off.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2020, 09:53 PM
You may be able to mail in Craftsman tools for warranty service. That's how I get my truck brand tools (Snap-On, Matco, etc.) warrantied.

Tripplebeards
12-15-2020, 08:26 PM
Leupold just sent a new VX freedom to replace my old school VX 11. I did call up and request a replacement this time around when they received it since it is back in for the exact same issues and they never repaired it last time around. Im probably going to leave it sealed and sell it being they sent a CDS model. I don’t want a scope with an open top turret and have a chance of it turning on me by accident. I use this on my 30-06 pump deer gun where I can’t see more than a 150 yards so it’s not needed.

Update...

I called Leupold this morning and asked if they had a regular style turret with cap that goes over it in 3-9 powder like I had. I also told them I was not fond of the looks of the freedom that they replaced with my old school vx-11 that was on my 1984 model gun. I also wasn’t to happy that I paid $229 in 1990 for my optic which the the value of the dollar has almost double with years of inflation and they sent me a a scope that retails for currently $199 in a non CDS style. Leupold gave me the option of of either a 2.5-8 36mm or 3.5-10 vx-3i. I settled on the 2-5-8 36mm since my average shot is point blank to 75 yards.

FergusonTO35
12-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Those VX-3i's are sweet scopes, I have a 1-5x20 on one of my .30-30's.

HangFireW8
12-22-2020, 10:18 PM
You got a great deal there.

fatnhappy
12-23-2020, 12:47 AM
Those VX-3i's are sweet scopes, I have a 1-5x20 on one of my .30-30's.

I didn’t realize they made the vx-3i in a 1-5x. I picked up a 1.75-6X vx 3i just before they discontinued it. It’s a perfect light scope in Talley mounts for my Montana .308

I like the low end for lever guns too. I have 1-4X Leipolds on my .30-30 and my .35 Remington.
Like others here Ali have a couple Leupold 2-7s, most notably on my savage 99 featherweight.

godzilla
12-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Update....I got word back from NIKON on my pro-staff. Beyond repair and was issued a voucher code for their website. Amount was what I originally paid, so I am only out shipping costs and a functional scope I guess. Downside is I need or want nothing Nikon is currently hocking on their site. Oh well.....

Randy Bohannon
12-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Define “Lifetime” who’s lifetime ? The companies ?, Yours ? Lifetime of the scope ? Who decides what a “Lifetime” is ? Given what the legal system has done to definitions is it worth defining ?

Tripplebeards
12-23-2020, 07:36 AM
Update....I got word back from NIKON on my pro-staff. Beyond repair and was issued a voucher code for their website. Amount was what I originally paid, so I am only out shipping costs and a functional scope I guess. Downside is I need or want nothing Nikon is currently hocking on their site. Oh well.....

If you call them back and ask for a cash refund they will send you a check like they did me. I was told it was a pretty common practice.

My 2.5-8 vx3i showed yesterday. Pretty excited to get an upgrade with plain old standard adjustment turrets and plain old cross hairs. I am out of town so I won't get a chance to see it for a few days. The neighbor grabbed it so porch pirates wouldn't end up with it. I'll have to toss my see through mounts and find a DNZ mount for my 7600 now to mount it up. Leupold said the 2.5-8 was alot brighter than the 3.5-10 model so that's all it took to say yes.

godzilla
12-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up I will give them a ring.

Tripplebeards
07-01-2021, 09:59 PM
I finally had a chance to Mount the replacement refurbished Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 from Natchez shooters supply and the warranty exchanged leupold 2.5-8 vx111i on both Remington 7600’s today. The leupold 2.5-8 went on the 7600 35 whelen carbine that I had the Nikon Prostaff 5 issues with. I can tell you it was not the scopes fault. I found the barrel loose! The gun was sent to Remington for feeding issues and I had just gotten it back and mounted the Pro staff 5 at the time. The Magazine tube was all scratched up when I bought it so I asked them to replace it while it was there as well. They never did replace it but they sent along a replacement tube. I did try to take it apart before I sent it in and the magazine tube was rock solid…. I could not spin it loose. I did tell Remington it wouldn’t brake loose before I sent it in. Well, when I went to put the scope on today the magazine tube backed out a good 2 full rotations and the barrel was moving back and forth. I noticed the pump flexing and moving so much it was touching the barrel when I placed the gun flat on the table. I can believe I never caught it before I ladder tested it. I also can’t believe it still put three all in exact same hole at 100 yards even with a loose barrel! I would assume they can never tested the scope when they got it back either or they would’ve told me there was nothing wrong with it. I think they just assumed that they couldn’t fix the scope if something was wrong with it so they offered me a coupon to use on their current inventory.

white eagle
07-02-2021, 09:49 PM
buy a good scope from the git go and you only cry once
I have fallen for the medium range optics myself in buying Burris rifle scopes
however all my serious hunting rigs get Leupold or Ziess glass
one time in my life though I want to go all out and buy a Nightforce or Swarovski rifle scope

Tripplebeards
07-02-2021, 10:45 PM
I have way to many rifles to be able to buy that kinda glass for every one. I’d have more money invested in glass than what my house and hunting property is worth combined by the time I got them all scoped. I can tell you the Monarch is hands down brighter and crisper glass than the vx111i. I can also see better with it at dusk.

whyserious
06-26-2022, 05:07 AM
Hello. I'm new here. While I was looking for a greeting thread, I found this thread and I immediately had a question - Why is everyone praising Nikon optics so much? I understand that they make good professional cameras and it (https://theoptics.org/best-scopes-under-300/) is logical that they understand in lenses and their scopes will be of excellent quality. But I still do not understand this praising. After all, there are many other companies that make scopes and focus solely on them. And it seems to me that such companies have even higher quality than Nikon. Or I'm wrong?

Jeff Michel
06-26-2022, 05:32 AM
Probably due to the fact that they were decent optics for the price point, I have several and they are pretty good quality and came with a lifetime warranty........Which is probably moot since the scope division went toes up a year or so ago. Quite possibly why there hasn't been any comments for a year.:mrgreen: Welcome to the forum.

kerplode
06-27-2022, 03:18 PM
Nikon scopes were priced decently, but the couple I tried weren't anything to write home about. The optics were OK, but the tracking and adjustment quality were sub-par and one of them wouldn't hold zero on a 30-06. They're in my junk box as I type this, having been replaced with mid-range Vortex optics which are significantly superior in every aspect and also have a lifetime warranty. Seriously, though, I'd rather have an excellent optic with a lackluster warranty than a lackluster optic with a lifetime warranty...Nikon was definitely in that latter category IMO.

But it's all a moot point anyway...Nikon stopped making scopes a couple years back.

Dom
06-27-2022, 04:18 PM
Any scope can fail. I've had four of my so called premium rifle scopes fail over the last four or five years. This is exactly why most of my rifles carry quick release scope rings & open sights. This set up has saved a hunt for me in the past.

kerplode
06-27-2022, 04:24 PM
Totally true.

I also set up any "serious use" rifle with QD rings and irons if at all possible. Insurance, two is one, belt and suspenders, and all that...