PDA

View Full Version : The 312 arena

JohnSmiles
11-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Currently looking for a Beretta 32 ACP Tomcat INOX.
Should have never passed up the one I saw at a gun show early this year.
After that a 327 or 32 mag revolver.(or both!)
Been wanting to play with these for some time.
Also would like to one day have a NICE single shot 327 rifle.
Break open, bolt or falling block.
Always been a fan of the singles.
(I think a 32 ACP loaded a little light would be a great squirrel gun)
A Ruger #1 would be ideal.
I know you can stub a Handi barrel and create one for a few hundred, and that option isn't off the table, but I have always liked the looks of the Ruger.
For any of you who have ventured down that road, care to show me what you came up with?
Thanks!

elmacgyver0
11-01-2020, 02:51 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Tomcat.
I have always wanted one.
Some time ago when I was picking up a 9mm Star BM at my favorite FFL I spyed a Tomcat in his display case.
$350.00 later it came home with me.
It is probably my favorite carry pistol despite the diminutive cartridge.
I designed a holster to carry on my right side be hind my cell phone, it completely disappears.
My holster has a stainless clip that secures it securely on my belt. The clip allows me to remove it discreetly when I need to enter a no guns criminal safety zone.
I designed it with a Chicago screw for adjustable retention.
I replaced the plastic grips with walnut wood grips as I have done with all my Berettas.270544270545270546

Gewehr-Guy
11-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Neat little pistol, and a beautiful holster, well done. I miss doing leather work, but I did buy a nice stitching horse last year and need to use it.

Petrol & Powder
11-01-2020, 07:59 PM
I can't offer much on the single shot rifle chambered in 32 but Outpost75 is the resident expert on all things 32.

The Beretta Tomcat is a good little gun and I owned one for a time (should have held onto it but that's another story).
I know several people that have Tomcat pistols and the consensuses is they are good guns. Beretta did have problems with the frames cracking on the early blued models but they seem to have sorted that out. The stainless models didn't suffer the problem.

In the 1990's, the Winchester silvertip was "The Load" if factory ammo was selected for serious work. I don't know if that is still the case.

Despite its small size, the Tomcat is capable of fine accuracy and the they function with Beretta's normal consistency. Which means if fed halfway decent ammo, they will just chug along with boring reliability.

For reasons I cannot explain, revolvers chambered in 32 S&W long have become priced according to their weight in gold. Not sure when that started but I missed that boat.

Elmacgyver0 - that's a fine holster you have !

JohnSmiles
11-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Nice work! I like it!
I have a few leather working tools I haven't used in years, and this winter may spawn a couple of holster projects.

elmacgyver0
11-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments on my holster.
I have a Uberti Cattleman II in .45 Colt in need of a holster.
I am trying to work myself in the mood to make one.

NoZombies
11-02-2020, 01:09 AM
My .32 (S&W long) rifles at the moment include a H&A falling block, a Remington 581 (single shot) a Remington #4 solid frame rolling block, and a TC Contender. Other than the contender barrel, they're all custom jobs, and I enjoy shooting them immensely. The Remington bolt gun will handle .32 ACP as well, and has shot some astounding groups with the short cartridge.

JohnSmiles
11-07-2020, 11:53 AM
My .32 (S&W long) rifles at the moment include a H&A falling block, a Remington 581 (single shot) a Remington #4 solid frame rolling block, and a TC Contender. Other than the contender barrel, they're all custom jobs, and I enjoy shooting them immensely. The Remington bolt gun will handle .32 ACP as well, and has shot some astounding groups with the short cartridge.

Took the plunge today! Purchased a Handi barrel in 223, with the intent to put a barrel liner in it chambered for 327 Federal. The .223 extractor should not need to be modified, or if so only slightly as the rim diameter is almost the same.