PDA

View Full Version : Melting Bullets

gesthuntn
11-01-2020, 09:49 AM
I have a bunch of lubed bullets I need to melt down and recast. Can I just throw these in my casting pot or do I need to melt them in my scrap lead pot and clean good?

Wild Bill 7
11-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Either one, a lot depends on your lead supply. If plenty throw them in the scrap pot for later processing. Jmho.

Pipefitter
11-01-2020, 10:01 AM
If they are lubed with a wax lube just throw them in the casting pot. If they are lubed with an alox type tumble lube the alox will leave a nasty coating in the casting pot.

gwpercle
11-01-2020, 10:22 AM
I add them to my casting pot , a few at a time , to take advantage of the wax lubrication ... helps with the fluxing right before casting . The boolits are clean metal but why waste the lube ... it's a good flux .
" Waste not , Want not "
Gary

Kraschenbirn
11-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Wax lube makes an excellent flux for your pot, just stir 'em in and put a match to the vapor as they melt. Dunno what alox might be like, haven't used any since the 1980s.

Bill

Bazoo
11-01-2020, 11:38 AM
I recently melted my reject box, which had a lot of BAC lubed bullets in it. It left a film on the pot and ladle that was ornery to remove. Just a bullet or two doesn't do that, but this time I dumped bout half a pot of them to top off (cold pot).

wv109323
11-01-2020, 12:35 PM
I would melt them aeparate due to the smoke. Or gradually add them to my pot and use the lube as flux.

lightman
11-01-2020, 01:42 PM
I've melted a lot of bullets in my casting pot. Just beware that the lube will smoke. You can usually light it and reduce the smoke.

LUBEDUDE
11-02-2020, 11:46 AM
I would.................... Or gradually add them to my pot and use the lube as flux.

This is what I do.

FISH4BUGS
11-03-2020, 09:43 AM
I do this all the time.
I use Magma lube, and after a long sizing/lubing session, I always have a number of rejects.
They go back into the pot for recycling. The smoke can be lit and burned off. Just don't do too many at one time - the smoke will be awful.
Makes great flux!

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2020, 09:50 AM
I'll throw a few lubed boolits in a melt, but I won't do a lot. If I have a lot, I will melt the lube off with a heatgun on old newspaper. Too much lube in the melt 'can' make a mess, depending on the lube ingredients. Alox will leave a coating on stuff. BAC has Alox in it. If I have a lot of tumble lubed boolits with a Alox based tumble lube, I will give then a soak in MS to remove most of the Alox.

William Yanda
11-03-2020, 10:05 AM
If you are concerned about the lube, boil them hard in any saucepan that won't upset SWMBO. Let it cool. The lube will be on top, the clean boolets on the bottom.