PDA

View Full Version : Webley help needed

218bee
12-09-2008, 09:57 PM
In my quest for cheap handguns to play with and new cartridges for me to cast for and shoot, I came across a Webley in 38 S&W. I've never held one of these before and it seems to be in good working order. There is no hammer spur and you cannot just hold hammer back to fire single action as it is double action only. There are numerous markings all over gun, but no markings that say "Webley". There is what I believe to be a serial number below barrel and the same number on cylinder. Guy wants $250 for it. I came home and checked Gunbroker, auction arms etc to see what I could find...most were at least a hundred more, but what concerns me is that most of their descriptions stated barrel or frame marked "Webley"...then I saw one advertised as a copy made in India I think. So my question is.....How do I tell if its "real"...not looking for a collectors item just something to play with but any info would be appreciated. Anyone have any experience casting and shooting one??? Fun??? Thanks for the input

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
$350??!! WOW!

The example you describe is likely a Webley-Enfield variant, and there is a thread running on the subject currently in the Group Buys section--look under "38/200".

I have a similar revolver, and paid ~$125 for it a few years back. They are kinda funky and cool, but for $250 I think you could find a decent S&W in 38 Special that is MUCH easier to find dies, moulds, and components for. Just my thoughts, if you get the revolver there are several of us here that load for the 38 S&W for the W/E and the S&W Lend-Lease M&Ps.

Tom Herman
12-14-2008, 04:26 PM
The Webley/Enfield in .38/200 is overpriced. Sure, it can be fun, but if you're going to get into the specialty dies and bullets, hold out for a Webley Mark VI in .455 Webley! LOTS more fun!
If I had the choice between an Enfield and a Model 10, I'd go for the S & W anyday. MUCH better buy!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

m.chalmers
12-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Pistol, revolver, No. 2 (Marks I,I* and I**) were made by Enfield (R.S.A.F) 150,000+/- and Albion Motors 42,516

Now supplement pistols Webley Mk IV (wartime supplies) were contracted by Webley & Scott 120,120 and the gun trade (E.J. Churchill 160,Firth& Brown 200 and C.I.S.A. 175) Pg. 27 British Small Arms of WW II by Ian Skennerton

You still can find the No 2 Mk I,I*, and I** under $200. Try gunsamerica and the auction sites also look at http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75 from time to time.

Good luck!

m.chalmers
12-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Found this one:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/901894599/Guns/Pistols/Webley-Pistols/Webley_enfiel_No2_MK1_38_ca.htm
It's real, but at $225 I would offer the pawnshop less. Prices have gone up in a year. Two years ago $150 was high.
Good luck!