PDA

View Full Version : Teflon?

Deadeye
12-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I have several .44mag boolits cast from straight quenched WW in a Lee 429-255-SWC mold. I normally keep them under 1200fps. but would like to push them to 1300-1400fps. Would wrapping them in teflon, then sizing them (could also tumble them in liquid Alox if necessary) help minimize any potential leading problems?

My budget is down to zero right now so if it involves spending money I can't do it.:roll:

pdawg_shooter
12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I have tried teflon, but not with much luck. If I were going to lube and size them I wouldnt bother with the teflon.

eka
12-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Ideally you want the patch to blow apart and separate from the boolit as it exits the muzzle. The teflon won't do that. If it were me, I'd start with two wraps of tracing paper. Can't get much cheaper than that. When it's dry, cut the tail off, and lube them up lightly. I use FWFL that's already in my lubrisizer for a light application. I have also used Johnson's Paste Wax. Just make sure you get the patch up over the ogive so it's not ripped back at the forcing cone. You should be able to push those babies pretty hard.

Keith

wwmax
12-14-2008, 12:16 PM
I have used teflon in cast rifle with gas check and normally drive them a 2100fps MAX. never had any luck running them at less FPS

Boerrancher
12-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Why are you worried about such a small increase in velocity? If the boolits fit the throats and bore properly there is no reason why you can't shoot that boolit exactly as you have cast it at 1300 to 1400 fps. Remember a 22 LR rim fire has a velocity of 1200 fps and it is pure soft lead. Honestly if you have the right boolit fit and lube you should have no problems shooting pure lead out of your 44 mag at those velocities.

I personally shoot a 50/50 pure and ww mix air cooled. I push a Lee 200 gr 44 boolit 1500 fps out of my 44-40 rifle with no leading. With the same alloy I am pushing a Lee 255gr boolit nearly 2000 fps out of my 45 LC rifle with no leading, and a 350 gr boolit out of my 45-70 at 2100 fps, no problems either.

If you are sure about your throats and bore, load them and shoot them. If you get leading It is due to tight throats or small boolits.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe