PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bisley

Iwsbull
10-29-2020, 06:35 PM
Does anyone make an extended grip for them? I barely have any purchase on it with the pinky on my strong hand. It is not really anything with the 44 special I just tuck it under the bottom but I was thinking of possibly a 480 Ruger in a single action and would like more than a two finger hold and I am thinking I may have to round the point off the bottom of the grip too if I can’t get it extended. If I grip any higher my hand hits the hammer.

Wheelguns 1961
10-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Man, you must have some huge hands! I have never heard of anyone not being able to get a good grip on a bisley.

Iwsbull
10-29-2020, 07:03 PM
270423 I have fat fingers.

Loudenboomer
10-29-2020, 09:46 PM
I wear large glove size and have both the .44 and .480 Bisley. My hands are not as large as yours but the factory grips are very comfortable for me. I'd bet as time goes on your comfort level will improve.

Chemoman
10-30-2020, 10:49 AM
sold my ruger bisley, never liked the grip. i also had to have doug guy make the cylinder holes right. was hard to load and unload and accuracy was really bad. after doug guy worked it over it shot to point of aim perfectly and loaded and unloaded easily. stuck with uberti ever since.

contender1
10-30-2020, 09:04 PM
I have several Bisley Rugers,, and love them for serious shooting.

To answer your question,, I'm not aware of any factory that makes extended grips for the Rugers,, but any good grip maker can do it. You will just pay a bit more.
I'd contact Zane,,, also known as lscg,, on many forums,, of Lone Star Custom Grips.

Tripplebeards
10-30-2020, 09:09 PM
I roll my pinky under my 44’s as well. I found a Houge extended rubber grip I put on my Anaconda. It’s long enough I don’t have to tuck my pinky on it. It felt like I was holding a kids gun prior. I must have large hands as well.

lar45
10-30-2020, 09:52 PM
Seems like I remember a post from several years back, but I think Jack Huntington, JRH Gunsmithing, modified the grip frame making it longer.

lar45
10-30-2020, 10:18 PM

It's not a Bisley, but does show his work

Iwsbull
10-31-2020, 12:09 AM
When I decide on a mold I am going to see how well I can hang onto the 480 Ruger as one followed me home tonight. Will try some thinner grips and I may shim these to see if thicker will get my knuckle positioned a little more out of the way of the guard. Should those fail then I may invest in a custom extended grip for a better hold and finger position.
Very nice revolver lar45.

cas
10-31-2020, 11:55 AM
If I grip any higher my hand hits the hammer.

And?
That's how I shoot em. Big hands, high grip. The hammer touched the web of my hand when cocked. But so what. Holding them lower just makes the recoil worse.

DougGuy
10-31-2020, 12:04 PM
When I decide on a mold I am going to see how well I can hang onto the 480 Ruger as one followed me home tonight. Will try some thinner grips and I may shim these to see if thicker will get my knuckle positioned a little more out of the way of the guard. Should those fail then I may invest in a custom extended grip for a better hold and finger position.
Very nice revolver lar45.

Of all the Ruger grip frames ever made, the Bisley has the least amount of room between the rear of the trigger guard and the inside of the grip. May I suggest you stop by a pharmacy or walmart or target, and get a 1" wide roll of that stretchy bandage stuff, you put one wrap around your middle finger knuckle and it takes ALL of the bite out of the single action revolver. You can shoot the +P loads all day without discomfort. This stuff stays in my range bag and I don't shoot stout loads without it.

Iwsbull
10-31-2020, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the tape will definitely look at that.

lar45
10-31-2020, 06:57 PM
That one is not mine, just a pic on his website

Iwsbull
10-31-2020, 09:49 PM
And?
That's how I shoot em. Big hands, high grip. The hammer touched the web of my hand when cocked. But so what. Holding them lower just makes the recoil worse.
I don’t want the web of my hand slowing down the hammer and causing a potential misfire. I figure anytime something has a potential to impede the hammer it is best to avoid it, I don’t use lower power hammer springs for the same reason.