PDA

View Full Version : BEN'S Red Stiffness

44MAG#1
10-29-2020, 07:11 AM
I tried to make some Ben's Red. It seems very soft. Is it that way naturally or does it need to be stiffer? It is sticky though and I like that. I went by the recipie as close as I could.
Thank you.

kbstenberg
10-29-2020, 07:25 AM
My batches have not been soft "to me"
Even Ben has commented that any of the ingredeants can be adjusted to make it to a desired consistency.
Another thought. You mite not have cooked it long enough.

44MAG#1
10-29-2020, 07:34 AM
Mine is so soft it is very easily spread with the fingers. It is softer by quite a bit than 50/50 Alox and Beeswax.

762sultan
10-29-2020, 08:58 AM
One batch of Ben's Red that I made was soft so I mixed in several sticks of Carnauba Red and it came out better.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-29-2020, 10:42 AM
I tried to make some Ben's Red. It seems very soft. Is it that way naturally or does it need to be stiffer? It is sticky though and I like that. I went by the recipie as close as I could.
Thank you.

Add more beeswax

35 shooter
10-29-2020, 11:06 AM
If made right, Ben’s Red will set up solid, but soft enough to break a piece off and finger lube with it.
It should’nt be soft like a cosmetic cream if that’s what you mean.
It has a very wide temp. range and works for both handgun and high velocity rifle shooting for me.
It’s the only lube I use along with Ben’s BLL lube, which works equally well.
By high velocity rifle loads, I mean 2400 fps. and up.

gwpercle
10-29-2020, 06:47 PM
The beeswax can vary in softness . Fresh out the hive beeswax is softer than beeswax that has been refined , cast into blocks and sat on the shelf for a few years ... I think it dries out a little .
I'm sure Ben can tell you what to add to increase the stiffness .
My suggestion , which may be wrong , would be a little Gulf Wax Paraffin wax ... at least this is what I use in Lithium Beeswax Lube and it works OK .
Gary

Ben
10-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Gary is correct.