PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 25 W-W White Box

9.3X62AL
12-27-2005, 06:21 PM
This is slightly off-topic since it deals with factory ammo using the J-word FMJ's, but since the fired cases are destined for a life of cast boolit service after conversion to The True Path via the firing platform.......here goes.

These boxes of 50 rounds retail for a few cents over 13 bones after the Governator gets his 8.25%, so the price is right. The cartridges have a pretty classic-shaped FMJ with brass-colored jacketing, OAL is 1.36". Neck diameter is .328" with bullet seated, and the rounds fed flawlessly when cycled through the Broomer, the Tokarev, and the CZ-52. The Tok can be fussy in that regard, and it even fed them while "riding the slide". Sweet. The bullets appear to be moderately roll-crimped into an invisible cannelure. These are made in the Czech Republic, per box labels.

I pulled one bullet, and the "cannelure" turns out to be a groove about .015" deep just above the bullet base. The bullet base and this groove comprise about .150" of the bullet's bottom length, and the bottom "band" and the groove are about the same length (roughly .075")--which matches the neck length of the casing. Essentially, the case mouth is rolled into the top edge of the groove--and no cement seems to be present on bullet or case mouth. The bullet is an open-base FMJ that most of us have seen tons of. The bullet's diameter is .307", which corresponds to the diameter of ChiCom ammo's bullets I've disassembled.

The powder looks like a ball type with flattened sides--almost cubic. The brass is Boxer-primed, so reloadability seems possible.

I hope this helps the shooters of this caliber in the United States--all 17 of us.

NVcurmudgeon
12-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Allen, 7.62 X 25 aficionado # 12 checking in. Your description reads a lot like S&B
factory loads, especially the brass-colored bullet. Think Big Red WW would..........?
BTW, the S&B ammo is 100% reliable and very accurate in my CZ 52.

45 2.1
12-27-2005, 08:02 PM
All 17 of us?????? Al, I got more Tok, Mauser, Broom, CZ etc shooters of this caliber around where I live than I can shake a stick at. Some of us actually formed cases from 223 before we could get surplus ammo.

StarMetal
12-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Bob,

But I bet none of you have a 1911 30 Luger. I'll bet few even have a Luger 30 Luger. How about a 30 Luger Tokarev? Might be in the making soon.

Joe

9.3X62AL
12-27-2005, 08:52 PM
OK, I mis-spoke earlier....the groove depth is .005", NOT .015". I was under the combined influence of 18-month-old grandson and two daughters aged 18 and 21 at the time of posting that.

I do own a Ruger in 30 Luger--one of the P-89C kits with swap barrel and recoil spring in 9 x 19. I've handled a couple Hi-Powers so chambered, and one 1911A1 Colt Commander in that caliber--and do I EVER regret not buying it! Add in a SIG P-210-6 that had a swap barrel in 30 Luger (along with barrels in 9mm and 22 LR, for a tidy $3300--OUCH!), so I have seen the critters--but they are as scarce as bacon in Baghdad.

bruce drake
12-27-2005, 09:59 PM
If anyone wants a set of LEE 7.62x25mm Dies (steel), I've got a set that I got used but I've never used them myself. It is missing the shell holder (LEE Shell Holders #19 (40 S&W, 38 ACP/Super, 9mm Para) or #6 (32/20) are the equivalent calibers so you might not require a new shell holder) but I have the powder through expander die, the sizing die and the seating die. First $20 gets them.

Bruce

Ricochet
12-27-2005, 10:20 PM
I just got a Cz52 and an 1895 Nagant for my boy. I'd been wanting them for a long time, and my wife said, "We've got to save money!," but when he expressed interest in 'em she was hot to get 'em for him for Christmas. :D

He'll let me shoot 'em. ;)

If anybody's interested, one of the sale items in the past week or so at Sportsman's Guide was .30 Luger ammo.

45 2.1
12-27-2005, 10:21 PM
But I bet none of you have a 1911 30 Luger.

Nope, but have shot the 30 mauser version, rough old cob it was too.

I'll bet few even have a Luger 30 Luger.

Shot one, getting very expensive to own. We have Simpsons Limited where you can play with them to your hearts content.

How about a 30 Luger Tokarev? Might be in the making soon.

Have the 9mm conversion. You making extras?

Herb in Pa
12-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Anybody ever shot a PPD40? My buddy has one in his collection and boy is it LOUD and FAST (over 900 RPM with a Pact timer) course it throws the brass into the next county. He's since had a 9mm barrel installed.

Frank46
12-28-2005, 03:57 AM
In the latest cheaper than dirt catalog they have a section there for s&b ammo. Cheaper than dirt says that stateside ammo companies have s&b do ammo for them under their own brand. Maybe winchester has them do the 7.62x25?. Frank

floodgate
12-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Guys:

I suspect Frank 46 is right,and Winchester uses S&B-made brass for their "European" calibers. Do these have a "WIN" headstamp, rather than "W-W"? A friend picked up about 50 7.62 x 54R cases at the local "free-fire" zone, some marked "WIN" and some "S&B", and they looked (and felt, on re-loading) identical.

floodgate

Ricochet
12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I read sometime back on another board (probably Accurate Reloading) that it was simply S&B-made ammo sold with a Winchester label. Dunno, but I suspect it's true.

StarMetal
12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Until someone comes up with substantial proof from the horse's mouth, Winchester, I don't believe what I read. As an aside I've used various S&B brass and have found it to be ok, not the best, but ok. Personally the worse stuff I've ever come across was some Agila 45 acp. Thinest piece of crap I've ever seen. When I get big buckets of range brass that stuff gets pitched.

Joe