PDA

View Full Version : AR Build, pin punch set?

Mr_Sheesh
10-29-2020, 03:20 AM
Hi all - I've found just nothing worth buying at local stores in terms of roll pin starters, punches, etc. (All badly bent pins or finish that looks like they scraped it on concrete chunks to mill it or both, really sad.)

Any better make of those to look at? Wheeler or AR-Stoner maybe? I'm looking for a decent setup with starters and drivers so I can do it right.

Thanks!

Remiel
10-29-2020, 03:47 AM
Tecton has a pretty neat set

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bloodman14
10-29-2020, 04:39 AM
Hit Brownell's; they carry some top quality stuff. Some are AR specific.

Rcmaveric
10-29-2020, 06:46 AM
Whats funny. I have been dealing with roll pins for 17 years in my work. And never knew there were roll pin punches and starters untill I built my first AR. I didn't even use them. The starter looks usefull though. Brownell and Amazon had sets, but I dont build guns enough to justify the purchase.

There should be a round end and a flat end on the roll pin. Round end goes in first.

Take steps to protect the surface you are working with makes a difference. Wrap your tool heads in electric tape and mask off the work surface.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

rancher1913
10-29-2020, 06:52 AM
I got my set from the cornwell tool truck at my old work site, they are a anodized finish, not a chrome one, but they work good. I would think snapon or mac would have a good set as well.

farmerjim
10-29-2020, 07:04 AM
I got mine from amazon.

Moleman-
10-29-2020, 07:42 AM
Still using the roll pin starters I made back in the 80's along with a roll pin punch to finish driving them in. Scrap 5/8"rod with two small holes drilled offset for the bolt latch pin starter. Gas tube roll pin is 3/8" rod with the pin hole on center and the end of the rod tapered. Size the holes for the roll pin so that the pin is a slip fit. One hole deeper than the other on the clip latch pin starter. That will get you to within 1/8" so switch to the correct roll pin driver for the last couple taps. For the trigger guard pin. Easiest way with little risk of breaking off one of the ears from a less than ideal setup is a set of channel locks with the jaws protected by several layers of electrical tape. Get the pin mostly installed then switch to the correct roll pin driver making sure to support the bottom ear well. Always mask off everything that could be marred with electrical tape. Takes me longer to find all the tools and tape than install the roll pins.

For the front pivot pin detent, use a 1/4" clevis pin that you've deburred an smoothed up. Push in, line up holes, drop in spring and detent, push detent down, turn clevis pin 90 degrees and push it out with the pivot pin.

jimkim
10-29-2020, 08:20 AM
I use a broken Lee decapping pin. It has just enough of a nub to keep it centered. I might have to make a set now that I've read Rcmav's post.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

remy3424
10-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Until I built an AR, I didn't know about "roll pin starter" punches. Awesome for short and small pins. I usually just blunt a nail to driver them, should spring for a nice set, but just don't often need them.

EMC45
10-29-2020, 09:15 AM
An old AR/M16 firing pin works well too.

Texas by God
10-29-2020, 02:55 PM
I think mine are from Wheeler Engineering and they are perfect for AR assembly. Ive done it without them and with them; with them is the ticket.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

375RUGER
10-29-2020, 04:59 PM
I have the Wheeler set. the Roll pin starter that is ground half off for clearance is worth having.

Shiloh
10-30-2020, 03:57 PM
You're right about the local stores. A lot of tools are made in China, Pakistan, India, etc.
Fine for a routine use. Firearm specific?? Forget it. Midway or Brownells are your best bet.

Shiloh

EMC45
10-30-2020, 10:17 PM
My employer bought me the Brownells AR/M16 for my work duties. It has EVERY conceivable tool for ARs.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/gunsmithing-tool-kits/gen-ii-armorers-kits-prod133957.aspx