PDA

View Full Version : Best Doughnut!!

rockrat
10-28-2020, 11:48 PM
OK, we have the best steak thread, now here is a best doughnut thread.

Is, or at least there was, a place in Redlands, CA, called Mr. J's, that I would nominate for best doughnut. Redlands blvd and Alabama st. IIRC

A place in Tulsa, I think it was Harmonys, was a close second, and Geralds in OKC used to have the best orange doughnuts as well as the best apple spice doughnuts.

redneck1
10-29-2020, 01:07 AM
Its been 25+ years .... But Scotties doughnuts in Modesto California .
On Yosemite ave.

Only had them the one time , but they stood out in my mind enough that I remembered their name and what street they are on all these years .

lightman
10-29-2020, 01:16 AM
Irish Made in Pine Bluff Arkansas.

2A-Jay
10-29-2020, 01:21 AM
A donut shop my mother worked at in Cucamonga CA in the early to mid '70's called the Sunshine Bakery (oddly enough in the Sunshine Shopping center onBasline BLVD Nade the Best Buttermilk Old fasion Donuts And Bars I have ever had.

FarNorth45
10-29-2020, 03:43 AM
The Moose Is Loose Soldotna, Alaska.... sadly it closed down now !! When it announced that it was closing , people stood in line for hours to stock up ....... people was buying every thing they made , the store was selling out everyday until they closed . People was freezing the donuts and pastries........ which i couldn't understand lol

wch
10-29-2020, 04:11 AM
McKenzies in New Orleans.

smithnframe
10-29-2020, 05:47 AM
A place in Catawissa, PA where I grew up .......Letterman's Bakery . All of their doughnuts were good but my favorite was the long john!

762 shooter
10-29-2020, 05:51 AM
I have found Krispy Kreme doughnuts to be the most efficient and tasty sugar delivery system on the planet.

abunaitoo
10-29-2020, 06:00 AM
We have poi doughnuts.
They are good.
I like Krispy Kreme better, when we can get it fresh.
No shop on this island.
Have to wait until someone goes to Maui.

Traffer
10-29-2020, 07:15 AM
When I was a kid some 60 years ago, My dad would occasionally take me with him for coffee and a doughnut at the "Main Street Cafe".
They had fried cake doughnuts. I L O N G for one of those now.
They explained to me how they made them. As I recall, There was a doughnut franchise that would give or rent you a doughnut making machine. It had a deep fryer built in. Don't know if they supplied the dough or just gave the recipes to the restaurants. But those doughnuts were VERY common, Many restaurants across the country had the exact same ones...
Then 30 years later I found a little hole in the wall restaurant in Boston that still had them.
The secret they told me as a kid was LARD. They were deep fried in lard.
Now there are lots of good doughnuts out there. I like Dunkin Doughnuts ...But those cake batter deep fried doughnuts were extremely special. Get em hot right out of the fryer. (This is according to a 60 year old memory, I could be mistaken about much of the details. But that is how it is in my memory)

Traffer
10-29-2020, 07:28 AM
I found a bit about the machines:
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/10149-post-wwii-donut-machine-and-display

gmsharps
10-29-2020, 07:44 AM
The Moose Is Loose Soldotna, Alaska.... sadly it closed down now !! When it announced that it was closing , people stood in line for hours to stock up ....... people was buying every thing they made , the store was selling out everyday until they closed . People was freezing the donuts and pastries........ which i couldn't understand lol

The Moose is Loose was by far the best donut I've ever had. They also made the best cinnamon roll. A shop in Canada along the Alaskan highway boasted that they were the best cinnamon roll and they were good but no where close to the Moose is Loose. It's a shame that some folks when they are ready to retire can't find someone with a like mind and abilities to take over a great shop. Now the quest of who makes the second best donut.

gmsharps

15meter
10-29-2020, 08:55 AM
Monica's in Monroe, Michigan is hard to beat, one of theirs will almost put you in a diabetic coma.

Better yet is the Cop Shop donut shop here in Michigan, there are several of them spread around the north half of the lower peninsula.

One single cinnamon roll is usually more than my wife and I can eat at one sitting.

gumbo333
10-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Yep, the cinnamon rolls at The Moose is Loose were about as good as they can get.

Hossfly
10-29-2020, 09:13 AM
Southern Maid on Hearn Ave. in Shreveport La. was is my memory of the best Dough Nut in history. Was told it was a Dallas Franchise. Been there since I can remember, as a child about 6 y.o. Had a Mina bird in a cage that could say some words. Never will forget that experience. They had the recipe and the machine to produce the best to me in the world.

dangitgriff
10-29-2020, 09:44 AM
I have found Krispy Kreme doughnuts to be the most efficient and tasty sugar delivery system on the planet.

We have poi doughnuts.
They are good.
I like Krispy Kreme better, when we can get it fresh.
No shop on this island.
Have to wait until someone goes to Maui.

Another vote for Krispy Kreme. Best mass-produced doughnut in the United States, at least in the states that count! [emoji1783]
I very much like the small bakeries like the ones mentioned above, I seek them out whenever I am traveling on company business.
R/Griff

white eagle
10-29-2020, 11:49 AM
doughnuts,doughnuts ,doughnuts is there a bad one
breakfast of champions I say

bedbugbilly
10-29-2020, 11:59 AM
ANY doughnut is the BEST doughnut when you get older and have to watch what you eat or are on a restricted diet.

Fifty plus years ago, when my wife and i were both going to college in Kalamazoo, MI - there was a Dunkin Doughnuts on Westnedge Ave that was open 24 hours a day. You know the hours a person keeps when in college and many times we would end up there as a treat - sometimes at 2 in the morning. They made a "butter crunch doughnut" that was out of this world and I can still taste them - that and a cup of their good coffee to go with it.

StuBach
10-29-2020, 12:08 PM
I’m very fond of The Donut Experiment on Anna Maria Island in Florida. They are a franchise business but the original is on the island. (Curse you brother for introducing us to this addiction on vacation.)

All their cake donuts are made plain, allowed to cool slightly than topped to order. Maple glazed with bacon was amazing but can’t say I had a bad one from there.

For mass produced, hard to beat Krispy Kreme fresh out of the glazer.

GregLaROCHE
10-29-2020, 12:22 PM
The best tasting ones I remember were Krispy Cream doughnuts in Norfolk Va, that arrived early in the morning during mid-watch duty. Granted, the situation had a lot to do with it.

Finster101
10-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Growing up in Louisville my cousin and I would walk to school just so we could stop by Iroquois Bakery and get a couple of doughnuts. They had the best stuff cookies, cakes made to order. It was a nice little independent shop. Later one of my friends in high school worked there on the weekends.

MT Gianni
10-29-2020, 03:22 PM
Maple bacon donut at a Helena MT grocery store. As a friend said "You eat one and it makes you want to leap tall buildings in a single bound".
Their Key Lime is a close second.

abunaitoo
10-29-2020, 04:43 PM
I never liked dunkin doughnuts.
To me they were fast food doughnuts.
Not much taste.

Smoke4320
10-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Without a doubt the pork BBQ/Bacon Doughnut I make :)
covers all 3 food groups and is delish

bangerjim
10-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Bosa Donuts in Arizona. Dunkin' Donuts is right across the street & we never go there! YUCK.

Or Krispy Kreme in a pinch...................if I can even find a franchise that bakes/sells them anymore. Most went bankrupt here a few years ago.

Tripplebeards
10-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Mine. I made home made apple fritters for the first time last week. Took the recipe off YouTube. It didn’t tell how much ingredients to use so I winged it! They lasted 5 minutes between three people. I used the first 6 apples that finally grew from my apple tree I started from a seed...

https://i.imgur.com/zBLjGJW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jLan4Cm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kTS4gRm.jpg

The glaze I used was from the butter and apple juice left from when I cooked the apples in a pan so they weren’t as crunchy. I added powdered sugar and a little apple juice to it till it was thick. The fritters in the back got to dark on top so pulled off the dark crust abs added glaze. The dark crust tasted good so I won’t pull it off if it happens again.

gwpercle
10-29-2020, 06:11 PM
Krispy Kreme
hot freshly glazed
one dozen
all to myself with cold milk ...

The beauty of this ... any Krispy Kreme shop , in any state , in any city ...and they are still in business !
Gary

Omega
10-29-2020, 07:02 PM
Honestly, the best donuts are the ones on the breakroom table when we come in in the morning. We take turns bringing them in, some are better than others but I can't recall having a bad donut. Once though, when I was newly assigned to Japan, the wife and I went out the gate to look around. We found a Dunkin donuts, which surprised us so we decided to get a coffee and donuts. Of course, we had to point to order, which went smoothly. But when I bit into my "donut" I didn't get what I expected. Instead of a sweet pastry I got a mouthful of shrimp. It was good, but unexpected.

SweetMk
10-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Krispy Kreme
hot freshly glazed
one dozen
all to myself with cold milk ...

The beauty of this ... any Krispy Kreme shop , in any state , in any city ...and they are still in business !
Gary

My wife and I have a running joke,,
We ALWAYS say that if the HOT AND READY light is on when we pass the store, we will stop and buy the donuts,,
BUT, we know what hours the HOT AND READY are available,, and we avoid the area of the store like the plague during those hours!!
:veryconfu
If we are near during those hours, we will even drive a longer distance to avoid the store. :cry:

This has been a half dozen, or more year running joke!! :mrgreen:

We have to work hard to resist Krispy Kremes,,

SciFiJim
10-29-2020, 08:25 PM

This! Light and airy with lots of sweetness. Great when room temperature, but out of this world while still hot from the fryer.

xs11jack
10-29-2020, 08:36 PM
If you are on your way East or West through the St. Louis area, look for Mile Post 217 on Interstate 70. Take the south bound exit of Brian Road and go about 2to 3 miles. Keep an eye out on the west side of the street for a nice building that says Heaven Sent Dounuts. They got every kind of pastry known to man!
Ole Jack

DDriller
10-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Love's doughnuts in Tonkawa, OK was the best doughnuts and the best fried cinnamon rolls ever.

Buck Butcher
10-29-2020, 08:51 PM
Britts donuts in Carolina Beach NC!! It’s not just the donuts, I think the near ice cold milk they serve with them makes for an experience. It’s tucked in the old board walk. Absolutely delicious!

EDG
10-29-2020, 09:27 PM
These - eat your hearts out.

https://roundrockdonuts.com/

clum553946
10-29-2020, 09:35 PM
SLOCO Doughnuts in San Luis Obispo, CA. They come out very fresh as they sell really fast! They have a gazillion different types, their apple fritters are second to none. They also make vegan & gluten free doughnuts.

FarNorth45
10-30-2020, 12:37 AM
The Moose is Loose was by far the best donut I've ever had. They also made the best cinnamon roll. A shop in Canada along the Alaskan highway boasted that they were the best cinnamon roll and they were good but no where close to the Moose is Loose. It's a shame that some folks when they are ready to retire can't find someone with a like mind and abilities to take over a great shop. Now the quest of who makes the second best donut.

gmsharps
Agreed, they retired do to health reasons i believe . I think the story i heard was that there was a Doctor in the market to purchase it , but i believe that deal fell through when he went to jail ..... i think that's how the story went lol . I really loved their Apple Fritters ....mmmhhh!!

imashooter2
10-30-2020, 01:20 AM
Lipart's Bakey in Prospect Park, PA. Burned to the ground in the 70's, but man they made good stuff.

Battis
10-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Chichester Country Store in Chichester, New Hampshire.

"APPLE CIDER DONUTS, NH MAPLE-FROSTED"

gumbo333
10-30-2020, 07:27 AM
Forgot to mention yesterday, really really good doughnuts at Jim and Connie's Bakery in Blair Nebr.

LIMPINGJ
10-30-2020, 09:14 AM
Round Rock Donuts in you guessed it Round Rock, TX.

pete501
10-30-2020, 10:43 AM
I would ride my bike 75 miles round trip for VG Donuts and Bakery in Cardif-by-the-Sea, CA back in my riding days some 35 years ago. Still in business since 1969, they must be doing something right.

thraxx
10-30-2020, 11:45 AM
I thought Flyboy Donuts were some of the best here in Sioux Falls, SD then I tried some from Delight (not daylight) Donuts in Yankton, SD. The best I've had so far!

jimlj
10-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Jubilee grocery store bakery cream cheese filled donuts in Evanston WY. Unfortunately they closed about 10 years ago.
Wall Drug has some good donuts as well. Pull into town and you can smell them. Follow your nose.

BamaNapper
10-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Interesting... Probably the most famous donut shop in the country is the shop at the top of Pikes Peak. But no mention here. I assume since they're world famous and nobody's singing their praises, they're probably not all that spectacular.

shooterg
10-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Great apple cinnamon donuts from a traveling van "Mama Crockett's" here.

ONCE a year, some Mennonite families sell regular(giant !) ones at the Hillsville Flea Market/Gun Show(canceled this year), fresh outta the fryer - line always there and they sell 'em faster than they can make 'em . I'll have to double up next year, to heck with my sugar !

thraxx
10-30-2020, 04:06 PM
Interesting... Probably the most famous donut shop in the country is the shop at the top of Pikes Peak. But no mention here. I assume since they're world famous and nobody's singing their praises, they're probably not all that spectacular.

I've been there, and the donuts are good, but the altitude was making me light-headed and it might have been the munchies, lol!

fcvan
10-30-2020, 04:37 PM
I was mildly disappointed that this was about donut shops, not recipes. Still, there are and have been some great shops with amazing donuts.

As far as home-made, I worked with a guy who was from Minnesota, as was his wife. She would boil up diced potatoes and then make her donuts in the potato water, boiled not fried in oil. My friend and I were friends for many years and partners quite often. Sunday mornings were quite enjoyable. We've both retired, he and his wife moved back home to MN. and I miss coffee and donuts on Sundays.

sharpsguy
Hossfly got it right. Southern Maid on Hearne avenue in Shreveport, La. has the best glazed donuts on the planet, hands down. They actually had three mynah birds there when I was a kid, but they kept one of them in a soundproof cage because he swore like a sailor. When I was a kid, we used to drive 35 miles one way from my hometown of Vivian, La. just to get donuts. They came out hot at 4 pm.

redhawk0
ok...I'll chime in. I knew a PA dutch lady (she is still alive...but I haven't seen her in 20 years)....she made Fasnachts. (German donuts) Every Ash Wednesday. Those were THE BEST on the planet as far as I'm concerned. And yes...I have her recipe but they take so much time to make I've never made them myself.

redhawk

bikerbeans
10-30-2020, 08:02 PM
The best donut will be the next one I eat. I do like Tim Horton's chocolare dip and oston cream donuts.

BB

Texas by God
10-30-2020, 08:17 PM
Yoko Donuts behind the Jackalope on Camp Bowie Blvd in Fort Worth. The Korean owners are so nice and make heavenly donuts; I have even bartered fresh picked cantaloupes for donuts there. Across town on Hemphill, the guys at Paul’s serve up greatness as well.

Joe504
10-31-2020, 05:31 PM
McKenzies in New Orleans.Time has muddled your memory, lol. Those doughnuts tasted like cardboard, but, I would pay a good bit to have a dozen right now, good memories.

Just one of the ADNM places.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Loudenboomer
10-31-2020, 07:08 PM
Paradise cafe Strathcona Minnesota Has fantastic Old fashioned Fried doughnuts. They're Located in remote North Western part of the state just off of Hwy. 32.
They have a steady following all year but during hunting season they sell thousands. I stopped in the other day and and the aroma of fresh doughnuts filled the air. A batch had just come out of the fryer. I was told they may be too hot to sell. Just the way I like em I replied. They were just fantastic! Nearly crunchy on the outside and Oh so tender inside. The best I've tasted!

jonp
10-31-2020, 07:20 PM
A small bakery on East Main Street when I was growing up. Me and my buddy were made crossing guards and in typical young man fashion used the opportunity to wander up to the bakery and get a couple of donuts. Donuts on hooky from school were awesome but the best I ever had were my grandmothers. Cooked in a cast iron frying pan full of real lard and heavily laden with nutmeg. Crunchy on the outside and soft inside. On a frozen northern day they were heaven.

jonp
10-31-2020, 07:25 PM
Bosa Donuts in Arizona. Dunkin' Donuts is right across the street & we never go there! YUCK.

Or Krispy Kreme in a pinch...................if I can even find a franchise that bakes/sells them anymore. Most went bankrupt here a few years ago.

Still going strong here in NC. They tried to expand into the boxed supermarket niche and it just didn't work. If you come across one that has the "Hot Now" neon sign up make sure to stop especially if they have the glass windows where you can watch them being made. One near me lets you point out the donut you want as it goes down the line. Place I delivered to a few years ago in the early morning I noticed a Krispy Kreme nearby and it had the sign up when I was there. I found a parking lot to park the truck and walked over every morning. Hot doughnuts and coffee at 0530. Oh boy.

Pipefitter
10-31-2020, 08:27 PM
If you are around Northwest Indiana, just ask around for the "Amish Crack" doughnuts. Made by Rise and Roll, an Amish owned company.
There is a reason they are called crack,, highly addictive.....

15meter
10-31-2020, 09:13 PM
If you are around Northwest Indiana, just ask around for the "Amish Crack" doughnuts. Made by Rise and Roll, an Amish owned company.
There is a reason they are called crack,, highly addictive.....

Past addictive, nephew and his wife brought a big box to Oshkosh when we met at the EAA AirVenture. Sent my sugar off the charts.

EDG
10-31-2020, 09:19 PM
My cousin Nancy Lamb sculpted the jackalope.

Yoko Donuts behind the Jackalope on Camp Bowie Blvd in Fort Worth. The Korean owners are so nice and make heavenly donuts; I have even bartered fresh picked cantaloupes for donuts there. Across town on Hemphill, the guys at Paul’s serve up greatness as well.

.429&H110
11-03-2020, 02:32 PM
When I was a boy...
There were Dunkin Donuts.
Had a handle knob on side
dark brown, fried crunchy
was DD trade mark.
Since Krispy Kreme
sugar bomb marshmallows
-half sugar, not much else-
took over DD're gone.
Stores are still there, but sell
Baskin Robbins KK.
Not found in Alaska or Arizona
did a road trip 2017 across
America, AZ to ME.
I am two meters tall, I don't fly.
Stopped at a DD every town.
Nada. KK with handles don't count.
My daughter-in-law still remembers
and I can make them, as my aunt
taught me, one at a time in a frybaby.

Dunkin Donut shop with the windows
all solid frost, industrial coffee, donut smoke,
huge coffee to go two donuts 50 cents.
Everybody had a cigarette going.
Steam and smoke would puff out the door.
Alas, my lost youth.

Last one I found was in St Louis 2002.
Loaded two dozen, made it to Mesa AZ.
Rumor is the DD on Grant makes a batch
but I have never caught them at it.
And don't get me ranting on bagels.
Bagels are unobtanium west of the Hudson.

.429&H110
11-03-2020, 03:12 PM
Dunkin Donuts...
As a kid, I had a great job installing Ansul equipment, Cardox, Halon, so DD was a customer for hood systems over fryers. Walked into a Chelsea MA DD at midnight, just in time to see the cook burned. He was an old V
ietnamese guy about as tall as the fryers. He put in the basket and it exploded, too hot, too wet, petit pauvre got oil foam on his face, hands, apron, screamed and ran. Into me. I scooped him up put him in the pot sink put the cold spray water to him. Customer came in grabbed his legs, burned his hands getting that apron off, I had on pipefitter gloves, burned my forearms. Dialed 911, then the owner. Fire department was there in a minute. Never found out what happened to the old guy. I hope he lived. Owner suspected he might be an illegal. Fire Chief and cops were writing away, eating donuts. Owner went back to making donuts, I swapped out two small units for one big one to include the new backroom fryers. Tested the automatic gas valves, took pictures, tagged everything. Done by 5AM; place was packed, I went on to a day install. Met the gas inspector there the next day, test fired, nobody knew anything about any accident. That's Massachusetts.

farmbif
11-03-2020, 03:18 PM
not real sure on this but cafe du monde in New Orleans is pretty darn good

farmbif
11-03-2020, 03:35 PM
not real sure on this but cafe du monde in New Orleans is pretty darn good