PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Aluminum MP 40 cal mold

colchester
10-28-2020, 12:46 PM
I bought a unused 6 cav 40 cal MP mold a while ago in the swapping section. The mold does not produce quality bullets. The bullet halves are not registered properly leaving a seam on the bullets. I have examined the mold carefully and its not an issue of the mold not closing completely but an issue of misalignment when it is closed. There are two pins with corresponding bushings that align the two mold halves. One pin mates very securely with very little slop the other does not lock up tightly allowing the halves to be misaligned. It looks to me as though the bushing that is pressed into the mold is too far in so when the tapered pin enters the bushing it does not hit bottom and therefore allows movement. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Is there a US based company that services these molds?

Mal Paso
10-28-2020, 08:27 PM
You can heat the mold blocks in an oven. Drive the short pin forward with a punch. put the mold halves together in a vise and carefully close it until the pin is seated.

I drilled and cross pinned mine so they won't move. I think that is standard on new ones. I did mine cold with a hydraulic press. Warm might be better as I think that's how the pins get moved. Aluminum expands faster than the steel pins. If the mold overheats the pins are easily moved.

I think at one time Miha had some less than great people working for him as I got a couple with the pins wrong from the factory. He has mentioned having to do everything himself.

colchester
10-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Mal thanks for the reply i was not sure by what means the pins and bushings were secured Ill heat it in the oven and move the pins forward then Ill squeeze it back in the mill vise and verify its correct I like the cress drilling and pinning idea Thanks for the help

Mal Paso
10-29-2020, 09:51 AM
This was the post from Miha to another customer. He does not mention heat but cold it would not work for me in a vise. In my last case I used a hydraulic press. I had 2 molds from about 5 years ago that were wrong from the factory that I did with an arbor press. The last one I got the mold too warm while casting and the pins moved. That won't happen with the cross pins.