PDA

View Full Version : OMG! eBay has just bumped CTD out of top price guaging site

RogerDat
10-27-2020, 01:40 PM
All I can say is charging the $10 shipping on the Lee 2 cavity mold you are selling for $124 seems.... :shock: words fail me. Wow. Wonder if it comes with flowers and chocolates?

Lee TL356-124-TC .356 124 Grain Double 2 Cavity Bullet Mold 9mm 380 38 Brand New
Condition: New

$125.00 + $10.00 Shipping

Est. Delivery Tue, Nov 3
Ships from United States

Daughter in Law picked a bad time to buy a 9mm Sig because my components for 9mm are more accidental, just in case, or because maybe someday I will use them. I don't load for it. I had to find some dies (got Hornady new retail for same price as Lee) have a few hundred .326 bullets and brass which is good because buying that stuff right now is nuts.

I watched primers go up during scarcity periods and post scarcity (market saturation) prices came down but not ALL the way down. I'm seeing $5 per hundred prices now which is a pretty significant price increase from the high 30's and low 40's prices recently available.

roscottjr
10-27-2020, 01:56 PM
wow. that's crazy

Tripplebeards
10-27-2020, 02:13 PM
I just ordered the 356 125 2R off amazon for $21.99 and free shipping two minutes ago.

Tatume
10-27-2020, 02:14 PM
What is a "Double 2 Cavity Bullet Mold" anyway?

Adam20
10-27-2020, 02:14 PM
i am a hour north of you if your want to borrow a mold 124 grain brass 3 cav made by accurate

Txcowboy52
10-27-2020, 02:26 PM
That's just crazy !! That takes price gouging to a whole new level!

DougGuy
10-27-2020, 03:05 PM
I sent him a courtesy note...

roscottjr
10-27-2020, 03:42 PM
wow, he just sold one last month for $82 and $9 shipping. It had 22 bids on it.

roscottjr
10-27-2020, 03:45 PM
I just ordered the 356 125 2R off amazon for $21.99 and free shipping two minutes ago.

can you pm me the link please?

Tripplebeards
10-27-2020, 03:49 PM

Got excited and didn’t read the fine print....will ship on December 31st. Guess I will be waiting a while for my great deal.

Here is the link...

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-356-125-2R-Double-Cavity/dp/B001GXAJRE

la5676
10-27-2020, 03:57 PM
They will get a rude awakening after casting up their new boolits, then trying to order primers.

As I just really can't see a long time reloader spending this kind of money on a Lee mold.

I have a number of Lee molds, but I assure you, I didn't give $125 and shipping for them, well, maybe 5 of them together.

Springfield
10-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Who buys primers 100 at a time! I can't even imagine me doing that. I have some moulds I just don't use, maybe it is a good time to e-scalp them.

Tripplebeards
10-27-2020, 04:10 PM
I’ve never paid more than $25 shipped for a 2 cavity lee...and still won’t. I did pay $40 for a 240 grain HP .430” used from a member here a few years back. With bow hunting season go on and gun season coming up I wouldn’t have time to mess with the amazon back ordered mold till it arrives anyway.I bought a brick of SP primers the other day for $39. I might go buy a brick of SMP for the same amount since that’s all they have in stock. I’ll just keep my loads under max with the magnum primers.

If you look on ebay and just about anything 9mm the prices are all jacked up. Lee die sets are $150...and then some...on a few listings.

Geezer in NH
10-27-2020, 04:54 PM
Mid South Shooters a sponsor of this site 19 buck & shipping IN STOCK

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690238/double-cavity-mold-tl356-124-tc

roscottjr
10-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Im just looking for one to modify myself but would prefer one that for some reason is no good but can still be used to cast plugs. But I never paid more than maybe $30 for each of mine. Im sure I don't have as many as others but I do have prob 15 or so.

gpidaho
10-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a very good time to Ebay your Lee moulds and move up to Noe or Accurate Al and Tom appreciate our business. Gp

daloper
10-27-2020, 07:56 PM
I ordered a Lee DC 120-TC from Titan Reloading at the top of the site. They have the 2 cavity in stock.

Tripplebeards
10-27-2020, 08:06 PM
I just ran over to the LGS and bought the last 700 CCI SMP primers they had for $33 tax in. They had 8 bricks there for the last three weeks and are only open 2 days a week. I didn’t go there last Wednesday. Between last Wednesday and this morning someone cleaned them out even with one brick per day purchase. I have a brick of CCI SP peoners I bought two weeks ago from them for $39.99 so 1700 should last me a while with only 2 pistols in my arsenal that require them. I figured at the rate we are going if I don’t need them I could make a house payment with the profits.lol

https://i.imgur.com/6Z1aAZ1.jpg

am44mag
10-27-2020, 08:22 PM
Why even bother at that point? Buy a 5 cavity Arsenal mold and you'll still have enough left over to take the family out for burgers.

rbuck351
10-27-2020, 09:02 PM
You would think people would have sense enough to at least look up the price of what they are bidding on before paying 5 or 6 times what a new item would cost. But, ebay constantly proves me wrong.

Murphy
10-27-2020, 09:28 PM
Good ole' Ebay. I learned long ago not to be shocked by anything when it comes to people bidding on something there. I once watched a used 2 cavity Lyman #311041 go for over $100 plus shipping some years back. Odd thing was, you could scroll down and see an offering for a brand new one in the boxy for 1/2 that price. It was an apples to apples deal to boot. Not and older Lyman vs a newer undersized cavity one. One thing is for sure on Ebay. Whoever the winner is, was willing to pay more than anyone else in the free world to get it.

CTD. The name alone speaks for itself. I have never (and hope to never have to) purchased anything from them. I watched some of their dealings during the last panic spree 12 years ago. While many other online stores sold out pretty much everything they had in stock at normal prices, not CTD. The gouging got unreal. As far as I'm concerned, they don't exist to me. I have a friend who simply can't resist a 'great deal'. He's 61 now and still hasn't learned, buy once, cry once. And yet, keeps wondering why the things he buys doesn't seem to last that long.

Murphy

SciFiJim
10-27-2020, 09:38 PM
All I can say is charging the $10 shipping on the Lee 2 cavity mold you are selling for $124 seems.... :shock: words fail me. Wow. Wonder if it comes with flowers and chocolates?

The current price for a Priority small flat rate box is $8.20. $10 shipping is not unreasonable and the seller probably put that figure in when setting up the auction. With fleabay fees, the auction and postage will cost him more that the $10 shipping he is charging.

Now, the price of $124 for a Lee 2 cavity mold is flatly ridiculous, but if someone wants to bid it up that high, it just proves their ignorance.

Tripplebeards
10-27-2020, 09:58 PM
You can buy the 124 2R mold for $24 on Amazon, but it’s out of stock but ok to back order if your not in a hurry...

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Tl356-124-2R-Double-Cavity/dp/B001OPTH18/ref=sr_1_63?dchild=1&keywords=Lee+124&qid=1603850069&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-63

Sig556r
10-27-2020, 10:41 PM
it's called supply & demand capitalism...hoarders are equally to blame as the drought

StuBach
10-27-2020, 10:46 PM
Roger, I also have that nice little MP 356-93 HP mold your welcome to take a stab at if your interested.

As for eBay, dad likes to refer to the “greater fool” theory. The greater fool is willing to pay more and the greatest fool wins the auction.

Tripplebeards
10-28-2020, 10:01 AM
I wish large pistol groupings and tons of leading in that seller's future.

But seriously, it's the buyers fault and not the sellers, if nobody buys it then the price is not set. It's the same with primers people are paying the $200 to $300 a brick. If they weren't the prices wouldn't be set on stone on Gun Broker right now with people buying them nonstop for that. It's the panicking consumer that is willing to accept the high prices causing the hike.

bedbugbilly
10-28-2020, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately, there are many who want to get started in casting, reloading, etc. and they don't do their homework. I have a friend who I am trying to help get set top in reloading .380 app. That is all he and his wife shoot and all that he will reload I'm sure. He evidently had been looking around and one of the first things he asked me was about what I thought of a Dillon set-up. I have nothing against Dillon but I quickly told him that he didn't need such an expensive set-up for what little reloading he wants to do - a 4 hole Lee turret would serve him well.

So many go to fleabay as a "first source" it seems like. Yea, there is definitely a shortage of everything reloading related but patience is the key to not spending a fortune to the hawkers and gougers.

Quite frankly, it would be a cold day in Hades before I would pay what some of them list a Lee mold for as well as the over inflated prices on primers, etc. I know . . . supply and demand . . .and what the market will bear. But, as my Dad always said, "A fool and their money are soon departed."

snowwolfe
10-28-2020, 11:14 AM

No one's arm is being twisted to place a bid. How could any auction be considered price gouging?

sparky45
10-28-2020, 11:20 AM
The current price for a Priority small flat rate box is $8.20. $10 shipping is not unreasonable and the seller probably put that figure in when setting up the auction. With fleabay fees, the auction and postage will cost him more that the $10 shipping he is charging.

Now, the price of $124 for a Lee 2 cavity mold is flatly ridiculous, but if someone wants to bid it up that high, it just proves their ignorance.

It would have taken at least (2) idiots to bid it up that high.
This one was even better:
Lee .356 TL356-95-RF 95 Grain Double 2 Cavity Bullet Mold 9mm 380 38 Brand New
Condition:New
Ended:Sep 27, 2020 , 3:48PM
Winning bid:
US $135.00
[ 58 bids ]

deltaenterprizes
10-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Who buys primers 100 at a time! I can't even imagine me doing that. I have some moulds I just don't use, maybe it is a good time to e-scalp them.

A lot of people only load hunting ammo and for beginners 100 rounds of ammunition is plenty.
People on fixed incomes that can’t afford to buy bullets, primers and powder all at the same time.
$30 for powder, $30 for bullets and $30 for primers is a lot of money. If you only buy 100 primers for $4 that is $26 that can put gas in the vehicle or groceries!
I am in that situation right now because I have not been working my part time job because I can’t afford to get sick.

FISH4BUGS
10-28-2020, 02:06 PM
I learned my lesson last time around.
I started stocking up 1000 (5000 when I could afford it) primers at a time.
I am now looking at some 40,000 primers of all types in the closet.
I stocked up on FMJ bullets too.
I spent a lot of money over the last two years or so but now I have to ask....
" WHAT SHORTAGE"?

Rapidrob
10-28-2020, 02:50 PM
I have contacted sellers on their too high item price or worse yet their exorbitant shipping fees. Not rude to them, but ask why so high prices/fees?
I cannot post here their responses as I will be banned for life.

downzero
10-28-2020, 03:02 PM
There is no such thing as price gouging. Everything in my house is for sale, even the house itself, you just might not like the price.

snowwolfe
10-28-2020, 04:24 PM
I have contacted sellers on their too high item price or worse yet their exorbitant shipping fees. Not rude to them, but ask why so high prices/fees?

The reason some charge high shipping is because Ebay charges a commission based on the items sale price. Most buyers are not concerned about shipping, only the final price for getting the item to their door.
High shipping equals less commission and often less sales tax as well.

As far as a high selling price.............this is still the USA and people are free to ask what they want. Don't blame the seller if other bidders drive up the price.

FISH4BUGS
10-28-2020, 04:33 PM

Something is always for sale at some price, and there is usually somebody to pay that price if they want it bad enough. You get three or more people that want the same thing and the money seems to lose its value. Bad for the buyer, great for the seller.
No one forces anyone to pay those prices.

RogerDat
10-28-2020, 04:44 PM
The term "panic" buying applies. People are buying in a panic, sellers recognize a scarcity. Capitalism is most excellent system for getting goods and services to those with money to pay for them.

I think Sparky45 in post 29 wins, that puppy got bid up and someone paid for it. My OP was asking a stupid high price, that sale was asking and GETTING!

The 100 price on primers was at Jay's when picking up some magnum rifle primers. I only use them for a specific powder in .308 and for 300 Wby. Don't need thousands, a few hundred on hand is plenty. As long as I buy them faster than they are used I'm gaining ground for the win. I typically have purchased those magnum primers a couple hundred at a time. Jays was also limiting purchase to home made string wrapped bundles of 5 packs of 100. I think one could buy two of those. Limiting purchases so more folks could get what they needed. Having just used up 200 - 250 LRP I went ahead and purchased 500.

I have the supplies I need for what I use. In quantities that.... well.... let us say prepares me for reduced income in retirement :-) Long ago figure it isn't any different than having some meat and vegetables in the freezer and a few cans of coffee, tomatoes and soup on the pantry shelf. Going to use it eventually might as well have it on hand. Build inventory to desired level with regular purchases or buying steadily at a rate greater than use. Replace as used. Eventually have a good stash.

Now daughter in law deciding to buy a bottom feeding handgun just caught me unprepared. Looks like there are folks in the area that have been nice enough to help solve the bullet piece so unlike the big spenders on eBay I'll be able to wait until the current panic is over to buy some 9mm specific tools and still hook her up to do some target time.

Hmmm for daughter in law is it better to do "pretty" colors of PC or keep it more utilitarian to avoid feeding the stereo type of "girls with guns as accessories" Which doesn't really fit. She got the 9mm because she did not want to have to borrow or share her husbands 44 magnum.

I may well consider one of the excellent mold making companies such as were suggested. I have time for it to be made or shipped and the more expensive molds still represent good value, just at a different price point. I have been looking to gradually upgrade some of my Lee 2 cavity molds as time goes on. I like them well enough but having an "it works" solution for all MY calibers means it is time to think about trying out some upgrades and alternatives.

I did drill and tap for a set screw to secure the sprue plate pivot screw on all my Lee 2 cavity. Something generally included on the higher priced molds which adds to the value for price calculation for those molds. Which is why at a higher price than Lee I still consider the Accurate, NOE, MP molds a good value for the money.

RogerDat
10-28-2020, 04:54 PM
I debate mentally about CTD. I bought some HXP (Greek) 303 British ammo from them that is boxer primed and good ammo with reloadable brass. Part of the Greek government going broke a while ago and selling assets. Price was cheaper than buying brass, lot of folks snapped it up. On the other hand they do always seem to have stuff during shortages due to the prices they charge being high enough to discourage all but the desperate. The idea of getting goods to the "People with the money to buy" includes those willing to pay more, even a lot more to have it. I guess as long as we are not talking essential items like insulin or something it is up to the buyer and seller to work it out.

Real solution is to not panic, not hoard, and not purchase when prices are ridiculous. Saw .22 rim fire for stupid high prices at gun show, assorted boxes. Guy was clearly hitting a lot of sources. Also saw the price fall and he was essentially stacking a whole lot of inventory on a small table and putting a 1/2 off sign on the pile. One has to examine their own mind set. If you need a supply to feel comfortable and don't mind tying up funds in inventory why not? If you can live with a bit more uncertainty or adjust your consumption to stretch out supply on hand you might be fine having less inventory and recognize you might pay a premium price if you "need" something during a period of high prices.

This doesn't apply to newer reloaders but there have been at least a couple of periods of tight markets or higher prices since Sandy Hook school shooting in 2012 if you went through those and didn't give some thought to putting some components up for lean times shame on you. I know funds may not always be available, kids, cars, house and a wife can certainly reduce discretionary funds available for reloading but handwriting was on the wall if an "extra" brick of primers at $35 would have allowed you to avoid a mad scavenger hunt to purchase that same brick for $52 when you are almost out.... yeah that is your choice.

If folks know where one can sell primers for $100 to $300 a thousand I want to know. Come to think of it to heck with those cheapskates only willing to pay $100, just tell me where the buyers willing to spend $300 are.

snowwolfe
10-28-2020, 05:04 PM
If folks know where one can sell primers for $100 to $300 a thousand I want to know. Come to think of it to heck with those cheapskates only willing to pay $100, just tell me where the buyers willing to spend $300 are.

Gunbrokers. Pretty much every day someone is paying up to $150 per 1k for SP and SR primers

RogerDat
10-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Gunbrokers. Pretty much every day someone is paying up to $150 per 1k for SP and SR primers Wouldn't you know I would have to be someplace where I'm more likely to spend than make money!

Really. It is almost tempting. Shipping primers is a hassle, so much so I haven't done it. Honestly while selling a couple boxes for the funds to buy 7 boxes in a couple of months when things settle down has a certain appeal I'm really more comfortable being in a position to help out reloaders that I know if they come up short at not screw someone over prices.

People have helped me, even in this thread there were two local members that offered to help me get some bullets. Rather have the karma of paying a helping hand forward than preying on other reloaders. But dang selling at 4.5 times purchase price! if I want plausible deniability I should mention that price to my wife, I can almost count on her "insisting" I should sell those primers, then sell the lead to free up garage space, the dies and loading bench so she can decorate that part of the basement and garage :-D Nope. Me thinks better that I not mention it.

Drm50
10-28-2020, 05:45 PM
It’s not just eBay, people go nuts at auctions. Went every month to one in Ohio. 90% of people there passed a Wally World getting there. When 22s were available you could make a few bucks buying 22ammo and putting it in auction. Now we have people talking about Winning Auctions. It translates into they were the one willing to pay the most for a given item.

roscottjr
10-28-2020, 06:39 PM
The reason some charge high shipping is because Ebay charges a commission based on the items sale price. Most buyers are not concerned about shipping, only the final price for getting the item to their door.
High shipping equals less commission and often less sales tax as well.

As far as a high selling price.............this is still the USA and people are free to ask what they want. Don't blame the seller if other bidders drive up the price.

I used to sell on Ebay years ago. I don't know if they still do but I stopped selling on Ebay when they started charging final value fees for shipping prices. YES, they actually started charging final value fees on shipping charges. I don't know if they still do as it has been a while since I sold on ebay.

Robert

richhodg66
10-28-2020, 07:08 PM
That's nothing, I check facebook market place regularly for reloading stuff. Some guy in Pflugerville, Texas is selling lead ingots for more than $5 a pound. I messaged him to ask if that was a misprint somehow and his responce was the reloading component shortage has driven prices up. LMAO, you could buy jacketed bullets cheaper.

rbuck351
10-28-2020, 09:18 PM
I have enough supplies to last the rest of my life and then some because I was caught short on primers once 40 + years ago and decided it wasn't going to happen again. I have acquired quite a bit of components and ammo I don't use or have a bunch of so if I run into someone having a hard time finding ammo or supplies I often give them a box or two of one thing or another. So far this month I have given neighbors 1 1/2 boxes of 44mag, 2 1/2 boxes of 357max and a box of 30 carbine. I do feel sorry for those that are just getting into guns and reloading and enjoy helping them learn how to load and what to buy equipment wise and provide a few things to get them started. The more new folks we can get into guns the broader our power base becomes.
If Trump wins, you better stock up heavily as shortages WILL happen again. If Biden wins, It may be too late.

Mr_Sheesh
10-29-2020, 04:23 AM
RogerDat, you could ask her what color she prefers, showing her a list of colors of PP you have? Often gets an extra point or two when people get to have input :)

fatnhappy
10-29-2020, 12:39 PM
It would have taken at least (2) idiots to bid it up that high.
This one was even better:
Lee .356 TL356-95-RF 95 Grain Double 2 Cavity Bullet Mold 9mm 380 38 Brand New
Condition:New
Ended:Sep 27, 2020 , 3:48PM
Winning bid:
US $135.00
[ 58 bids ]

Or 1 idiot and unscrupulous shilling.

caveat emptor

la5676
10-29-2020, 01:02 PM
We all wish there were no selling fees but then most of us would likely not have a fraction of the market to sell our “stuff” if we didn’t pay someone to host these sites. I really have a pet peeve for realtor fees, but try to sell your house without the unlimited buyer market they have. A “FOR SALE” sign posted in front of your home would likely stand there a long time. Just sayin’

Sometimes we do things we don’t like.

Springfield
10-29-2020, 01:42 PM
The reason e-charges on the shipping also is because people were selling 100.00 items for 5.00 with 95.00 shipping, trying to get around the fees. It is always the few greedy ones that ruin it for the rest of us.

Tripplebeards
10-29-2020, 05:33 PM
Well, Midway USA has them in stock for $21.99. Just got an in stock alert email a few minutes ago! I ordered a 120TC...said they only had one left for $21.99. After I bought it it just says they are available now. Confusing.

Here’s the link if any one wants the same mold as the eBay seller....for $21.99.lol

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010204012?pid=366607

WILCO
10-29-2020, 11:57 PM

There is no price gouging.
Buy it or look at pictures.
We'd all be better off if people understood supply and demand.
Plus, some folks want to over pay.
I say let them.

RogerDat
10-30-2020, 01:40 AM
Woot! Used the link and snagged the TC tumble lube design and a RN both 124 grain bullets. Were in stock so should be here early November. Picked up a Lee .356 sizer and hit the free shipping point.

I hate to say it but I am cheap I sometimes don't buy something because they only have one of the things I need so if I order it I will still have to pay shipping to get the other tool or component someplace else. In this case I had not ordered a sizer because no one had the mold and I did not want to get dinged for shipping 2x once for sizer and once for mold.

So thanks tripplebeards for the heads up. That and a waking up on the couch and deciding to hit the site before bed came together for the win.

Tripplebeards
10-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Mine has already marked shipped. I don’t mind paying another $6 to get it here in a week vs Dec 31st.

RogerDat
10-30-2020, 02:03 PM
I also would like to thank the members who reached out with offers of bullets or use of their mold. People here are A+ and make this one of the best communities on the web.

Even the cranky ones are always there if you need a hand, some advice, or a prayer. Or a link to who has it in stock. :-)

RogerDat
10-30-2020, 02:27 PM
I will say I sometimes wonder at my sense of timing. Decided to inventory ammo on hand and re-stock the week of Sandy Hook. Finally after a few years of mulling it over (or drooling over it) deciding to buy a Lee Classic Single Stage press as the pandemic drove backorder times into months not weeks. A member sold me one at a fair price, as opposed to an eBay price and I appreciated it. Now this having to start doing 9mm for family ammo supply while the covid-19 panic is picking up steam.

I did on the flip side decide I wanted 8# each of Varget and Unique for my birthday just a bit before the Pulse Night club. So I guess sometimes my timing isn't always bad.

One thing I have figured out is these crisis prices pass. If you look for a deal or are willing to wait for one you won't pay the panic prices. If you panic (or have bad timing to go with no sense of rhythm) then you pay the panic price. Just like auctions can cause people to pay stupid prices a panic can also replace logical assessment with emotion.

I guess I figure if you are one of those people that fear shortages you need to prepare for them. Or go to eBay and make someone very happy. If you are more laid back about it and can just wait them out? Then no worries be happy.

I did talk this whole panic pricing of stuff "we might be able to spare a bit of" over with another caster and we sort of found ourselves in agreement. Selling stuff at high mark up to someone that shares our hobby would be a D-bag move. Now if selling to a scalper who is going to mark the $150 a thousand primers up to $200 at his risk.... Nope, in the in the end I guess we figured we bought it to use, can share it with people we know who need a little help getting through, can live without the profit from 5x markup. Can probably sleep better at night with those choices.

Karma may or may not exist but if it does....? And easier to explain at the pearly gates that we tried to do right by our fellow than to tell god how it was all legal and just good business. Sure he would understand our human choices, not so sure of approval of those choices. Understanding them yes, approving them, eh? I'm not going to condemn those that think differently about it, they are not alone certainly. Just seems to me our community is better for the way we help each other out.

downzero
10-30-2020, 03:24 PM
I will say I sometimes wonder at my sense of timing. Decided to inventory ammo on hand and re-stock the week of Sandy Hook. Finally after a few years of mulling it over (or drooling over it) deciding to buy a Lee Classic Single Stage press as the pandemic drove backorder times into months not weeks. A member sold me one at a fair price, as opposed to an eBay price and I appreciated it. Now this having to start doing 9mm for family ammo supply while the covid-19 panic is picking up steam.

I did on the flip side decide I wanted 8# each of Varget and Unique for my birthday just a bit before the Pulse Night club. So I guess sometimes my timing isn't always bad.

One thing I have figured out is these crisis prices pass. If you look for a deal or are willing to wait for one you won't pay the panic prices. If you panic (or have bad timing to go with no sense of rhythm) then you pay the panic price. Just like auctions can cause people to pay stupid prices a panic can also replace logical assessment with emotion.

I guess I figure if you are one of those people that fear shortages you need to prepare for them. Or go to eBay and make someone very happy. If you are more laid back about it and can just wait them out? Then no worries be happy.

I did talk this whole panic pricing of stuff "we might be able to spare a bit of" over with another caster and we sort of found ourselves in agreement. Selling stuff at high mark up to someone that shares our hobby would be a D-bag move. Now if selling to a scalper who is going to mark the $150 a thousand primers up to $200 at his risk.... Nope, in the in the end I guess we figured we bought it to use, can share it with people we know who need a little help getting through, can live without the profit from 5x markup. Can probably sleep better at night with those choices.

Karma may or may not exist but if it does....? And easier to explain at the pearly gates that we tried to do right by our fellow than to tell god how it was all legal and just good business. Sure he would understand our human choices, not so sure of approval of those choices. Understanding them yes, approving them, eh? I'm not going to condemn those that think differently about it, they are not alone certainly. Just seems to me our community is better for the way we help each other out.

There is nothing immoral about raising prices in a panic. Higher prices ensure that the goods go where they are valued most. Selling below market price doesn't make you a nice guy, it just means someone else makes the profit instead of you. The market's version of rationing is for prices to rise. It doesn't matter what primers cost when they were plentiful, they are expensive now because they're more scarce than they were before.

Personally I always have more on hand than I need and I'm not taking this opportunity to liquidate unneeded inventory, but if you were choosing to do that, I wouldn't blame you.

You are no more justified in telling others that they must sell their primers at $30 a thousand than I am in saying you should sell me yours at that price until you're cleaned out. The reality is that you'd rather have the primers than the $30 or even $60 right now and that should tell you all you need to know about what $$$ you value them at.

pls1911
10-31-2020, 09:51 AM
I can’t claim to be lucky or smart, but even supplying a Boy Scouts mini camporee with centerfire ammo ( 45-70 in Sharps and Rolling Blocks) I’ve managed to accumulate a healthy cache for all my reloading needs, probably for my lifetime.
I supply my brothers ranch needs as well, mainly 30-30 and .45 Colt, with some .38/357 thrown in.
We don’t shoot as much as we’d like, or as much as we used to when we were working full time.
What happened to those plans to Load and
shoot more in retirement? Holy smokes! EVERYTHING soaks up my time!
One guy needs a driveway regraded... or pecan trees cleared; another guy needs help with his bees; another needs welding work, body work, or furniture repair.
Today I’m off to repair a foundation, a cement deck, drywall, and dragging doors for my son who just took a job in Ketchikan .
Need to redesign the loading area to incorporate three generations of supplies and loaders too.
Discipline to “just say no” would come in handy, but when friends are in need, I’m compelled to Lend a hand.

Geezer in NH
10-31-2020, 06:00 PM
it's called supply & demand capitalism...hoarders are equally to blame as the droughtI blame idiots on the drought Hoarders the answer for all.

snowwolfe
10-31-2020, 07:37 PM
I never understood how anyone can claim price gouging for reloading components. If you bought a house 10 years ago and the value of it increased 30% would you sell it for what you paid for it?
Same for silver, if you bought at $14 an ounce and the current spot price was $25 would you sell it for $14?
I have no intention of trying to sell any components I am well stocked in. But if a friend or a relative asked me to help them out I would. If someone I didn’t know very well asked to buy some primers, powders, etc you can bet if I decided to sell it would be at the current price. And I could easily regret that if the prices climbed even higher.

farmbif
10-31-2020, 08:16 PM
with two days till Election Day I think the big question is how long if ever will it be till things get back to normal. it may be possible on nov 4 the inflated prices people are asking for stuff could double or triple overnight.

downzero
11-03-2020, 10:51 AM
I never understood how anyone can claim price gouging for reloading components. If you bought a house 10 years ago and the value of it increased 30% would you sell it for what you paid for it?
Same for silver, if you bought at $14 an ounce and the current spot price was $25 would you sell it for $14?
I have no intention of trying to sell any components I am well stocked in. But if a friend or a relative asked me to help them out I would. If someone I didn’t know very well asked to buy some primers, powders, etc you can bet if I decided to sell it would be at the current price. And I could easily regret that if the prices climbed even higher.

Yep. And there will be no incentive to increase production capacity if the price doesn't go up. I'd be happy to spend $50 a thousand on primers if I could be sure that there'd be my choice of brand on the shelf at the store any time I went. I wish they would raise prices so the hoarding would stop and supply could catch up!

That said, I have enough primers that I will be old and gray before I ever need more.

RogerDat
11-10-2020, 05:39 AM
I'm looking at how selling on gun broker site works, I know it is a hassle to ship primers but current rate for small rifle is around $150 a thousand and it is an auction so market price is in effect. I could sell a box of those and a box of pistol primers. If I net $300 and stick it with my primers until supply catches up with demand I can then purchase several boxes to replace them.

I see no reason to think that supply will not eventually catch up with demand, the market will saturate, it may take a while but eventually the 22 rim fire that was unobtainable returned to shelves. At a somewhat higher price I might note but eventually everyone who was snatching them up and stacking them in their basement had all they wanted and the situation stabilized.

Even if prices stabilize at $50 a thousand as someone suggested selling one today to gain three later seems advantageous to my long term goal.

My reluctance now is I bought so I would have enough to last me with the intention of maintaining an inventory on hand of a certain amount. Selling any drops me below that amount. I also have no experience selling on gun broker or shipping primers. Auction sites can be somewhat confusing and I am pretty sure but not certain I will have to drive 50 miles to a UPS office to open an account and show ID to be able to ship ORM-D items like primers.

Hate to make a sale and find out shipping wiped out much of the profit. Or I end up not getting the price I consider worthwhile for selling them.

RogerDat
11-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Not to be outdone CTD went on the offensive....

They sent me an email advertisement with "Sale" prices on 223 ammo of $30 for 20 rounds. A bald faced effort to dominate the overpriced ammunition market! As I am not willing to see them succeed in their nefarious plot of scalper domination I want $50 for a box of 223 ammo but mine will be steel case! So there! See you aint the biggest ripoff, all it takes is some brave soul like me to toss their scruples in the scrap brass bucket and you are a distant second.

Seriously I can't stand it. I'm going to put together 2 boxes of primers, a sealed 300 round battle pack of ammo, and some 10 - 15 lbs. of #00 buckshot (also it seems sold out or priced high) and taking life in hand and putting mask on face (appropriate if committing robbery don't ya think?) will go to local gun show to see if I can send a grand kid to Harvard on the proceeds.

Really just going to see how desperate the prices are and if there are people there who value my stash more than they do their cash by the amount of money it takes for me to not miss those items being in my stash. Sort of one of those "I don't want to sell but for the right price...." Really just want to see what is what but who knows.

I saw people paying a buck a round for stripper clips of AP 5.56 ammo at a gun show during that banning AP bullets panic so there might be people willing to pay the low end of Gun Broker prices around here. GB web site draws on whole country as market, show draws local. Only so many of those folks with a good pile of cash and limited stash around. I will leave assessment of their common sense to their friends and family, you know some spouse is going to be having "that" conversation about how much someone spent.

Thin Man
11-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Primer and ammo shortages be hanged. Neither can be found in any store in my area so now I shop at estate sales. The amount of ammo and components found there can be anywhere from modest to warehouse volumes and prices are usually market rate or lower. Make these events your next "group buy" location and get ready to smile.

RogerDat
11-19-2020, 01:29 PM
Hmmmm an interesting idea. I put bequests in list with my will on ammo to go with specific firearms but yeah an estate sale might not be a bad alternative. I don't do those often. Pewter or solder has been my reason and prices tend to be high on the pewter. Did score some large items marked "zinn" because they didn't realize that was pewter but nothing reloading or ammo wise.

I haven't had much luck on reloading or firearm related items at the limited number I have attended. Of course I'm a noob at it, so may be not finding the right ones. I always figured that stuff would go to friends, family, or some bulk sale of the entire lot to a reseller such as I see at gun shows.