PDA

View Full Version : WST in .45 Colt Marlin

warren5421
10-27-2020, 09:40 AM
I lucked into 16 # of WST so use it for several guns. If you have used WST in a Marlin Cowboy what is the largest charge used. I am using a Little Dandy #13 rotor for my 250gr .45 Colt Loads but wonder just what the max load would be in the rifle. Grandson used my load to take a nice doe this year. Setting with to much time on my hands. Sorry :veryconfu

Larry Gibson
10-27-2020, 10:18 AM
WST is a very fast burning powder similar to Bullseye and is good for pistol cartridge application as Bullseye would be. I would consider Bullseye max load data for a given bullet to be max for use with WST also. Still, I would work up the load as always.

No idea how many gr of anything the #13 rotor throws. Whatever weight it throws of any powder should be verified via a scale.

Outpost75
10-27-2020, 11:31 AM
WST replaced 452AA which was discontinued in 1991. I've used both and while these two powders are close, they are not the same with regard to charge weight vs. volume. I can tell you that 7.5 grains of either is a full charge load with 260-grain bullet at 880 fps from a 5-1/2" revolver in .45 Colt, and 1050 fps carbine, which should not be exceeded. Larry's advice to use Bullseye data as a guide is spot-on. If you want a faster/heavier rifle load you need another powder, but IMHO standard-pressure .45 Colt loads will do whatever is needed.