PDA

View Full Version : Best Steak You Ever Ate

GregLaROCHE
10-26-2020, 04:55 PM
What’s the best steak you ever ate? Is there one that stands out in your life?

For me it was a porterhouse, in a little place outside Madison South Dakota called the Moonlight, around twenty-five years ago. I was passing through and stopped to see an old friend who lived there. He knew I always loved a good steak and said I had to try one of their’s. It was the best I’ve ever had. I made a point of stopping there, if I was anywhere around after that. They always had the same quality. It wasn’t that I was particularly hungry or anything else. Just the best quality and cooked just right.

Anyone else have special steak memory?

Petrol & Powder
10-26-2020, 05:25 PM
I have a bunch of good memories of excellent steak dinners. Often my experience was slightly biased due to a difficult day leading up to the meal. There's just something about a good steak after a long day. It just tastes better.

One was in Portland, Maine, on a rainy night after a long day.

The smaller steaks are almost always better than the huge ones. Properly aged beef is key. I avoid the chains whenever possible. Sometimes a well known chain restaurant is the only game in town but when I have a choice, I try to find some place a little more local.

skeettx
10-26-2020, 05:41 PM
The Butcher Shop in Knoxville, Tenn was the BEST
I miss it
Mike

http://archive.knoxnews.com/business/butcher-shop-closes-doors-ep-407539723-358471061.html/

slim1836
10-26-2020, 05:42 PM
Best I had was in a restaurant in the pyramid in Vegas, second best was in 5D Steak House in Avinger, TX.

Slim

fatnhappy
10-26-2020, 05:42 PM
Steak au poive at a restaurant that’s long gone. It was the first date with my wife 30 years ago.

Stewbaby
10-26-2020, 05:45 PM
The ones I cook at home on the ole Weber. Just hard to beat.

A good Brazilian steak house meal is always a treat when traveling for work and I can get sales to foot the bill lol

Mk42gunner
10-26-2020, 05:54 PM
Best steak I ever had at a restaurant was at the Golden Ox in the west bottoms of Kansas City. It finally closed its doors a few years ago, but they knew how to cook a steak.

I was raised with homegrown beef, our own calf and a half of a steer from Grandpa every year. To this day it is awfully hard for me to order a steak and be satisfied with it at most restaurants.

Robert

10-26-2020, 06:16 PM
I've had many and my waistline is the proof, but my best/favorite is an economy cut known as a "flatiron". I'm not even sure what part of the cow it is, but cooked rare over the BBQ, and it melts in your mouth with a fabulous flavor. Cook it well done and you might as well nail it to a door as a knocker. Rare, .......... oh, my, my, my.

richhodg66
10-26-2020, 06:18 PM
What’s the best steak you ever ate? Is there one that stands out in your life?

For me it was a porterhouse, in a little place outside Madison South Dakota called the Moonlight, around twenty-five years ago. I was passing through and stopped to see an old friend who lived there. He knew I always loved a good steak and said I had to try one of their’s. It was the best I’ve ever had. I made a point of stopping there, if I was anywhere around after that. They always had the same quality. It wasn’t that I was particularly hungry or anything else. Just the best quality and cooked just right.

Anyone else have special steak memory?

Funny, best steak I ever had was at a little place in S.D. as well, seems to me it was just outside of Mitchell. Maybe the same place?

Winger Ed.
10-26-2020, 06:38 PM
There used to be a bunch of Bonanza steak houses that were opened all over by Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright).

There's only a few left, but the one in our old neighborhood had some of the best steaks I've ever had.

Omega
10-26-2020, 06:44 PM
The best I have experienced is one at Charlie's Steakhouse in Oak Grove KY. When I got stationed here at Ft Campbell, I would always see people lining up around the building on a certain day (Wednesday I think), a smallish place really but not run-down looking. Took awhile to find out that, that was the day the beef would arrive and that is when the locals would come in for one. Took the wife there and bought one, because that thing was larger than the plate it was served on, and it wasn't a small plate. The place had history since the 1950's, but since 2000 when I got here, it had accidently been hit by a vehicle (one of our guys) and in 2012 it finally burned down never to be rebuilt...well, almost as the family had another restaurant in Springfield TN, which now serves the same steaks, but when I found that place and got a steak, it just wasn't the same, almost, but not as good.

Charlie's Steakhouse Burns Down (https://www.kentuckynewera.com/news/article_257f80f2-6fbe-11e0-87fa-001cc4c002e0.html)
Torino's Greek and Italian Restaurant (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55357-d899698-r136936101-Torino_s_Greek_Italian_Restaurant-Springfield_Tennessee.html)

salpal48
10-26-2020, 06:46 PM
"Peter Luger Steakhouse", New York City

GregLaROCHE
10-26-2020, 06:58 PM
I’ve always been of the opinion that more tender the cut of meat, the less taste it had. I won’t order a fillet minion if it was the cheapest thing thing on the menu. Not much taste. Maybe that’s why they are often served under all kinds of sauces. A good sirloin is hard to beat. Now I don’t want anyone to think I don’t love to eat all the other cuts too.

megasupermagnum
10-26-2020, 07:06 PM
Does prime rib count? There is a truck stop in Clearwater, MN that has the best prime rib I've ever had. Absolute perfection.

smithnframe
10-26-2020, 07:08 PM
In July of 1981 I was in Atlantic Beach, NC with my dad a few months after my mom died. He made some delmonico steaks and some local jumbo shrimp on a grill that were the size of lobster tails! I still talk about that surf and turf meal!

james23
10-26-2020, 07:11 PM
I have been lucky to travel alot of places and the beef that is available in north America is unparalleled. Almost every area has a place that does a good steak, from a high end restaurant to the local bar. Our small town bar does a great sirloin on the weekend that is fabulous. The experience of the western steak house is one to enjoy. I was in The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo a few years back , didn't order the 72 oz but might be fun to try if I didn't eat for a day before. Its free if eaten in one hour, including fixings. I will say one of the best steaks I ever had was in a trip to NYC. I dont remember the place but it was right across from the radio city music hall. If I ever have a chance to go back I will track it down. Last December I was at a conference in Omaha and a group of us went on a guided steak house tour to several of the classic steak houses near the stock yards and such.

bangerjim
10-26-2020, 07:14 PM
Was raised on prime Black Angus beef my whole life back in Iowa. The folks always had a ½ Angus calf processed for our freezer. We used to go out the the friend's ranch every year and pick it out on the hoof!

The 14 ounce rib-eye now siting in front of me is the best ever! I have gotten away from wood grilling/smoke (BBQ'ing) cooking prime cuts of beef (only pork and catfish now, and simple ground beef hamburgers) and now grill them inside on the stove in a sizzling hot pan the way 5 star restaurants do. I let the meat come to full room temp on my special black thawing plates. Then rub the meat thoroughly and completely with a special concoction of dry rubs I have perfected over the years. Once the pan it at 350 (digital electric induction cook-top) I gently place the meat in and sear it on one side then the other. After that, I turn the temp down to 260 and cook using a probe digital thermometer until at 105F internally. Remove and let rest for at least 10 minutes (longer if extra thick) as the meat continues to cook and reach 120 internally. A perfect seared crusty medium rare cut of prime beef I would hold up against any steak house in the country! I learned this from two 5 star chefs at my son's work.

In 3 days the new steak I prepare the same way will be even better than this one, so the marker is always moving!

bangerjim :awesome:

StuBach
10-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Best restaurant steak in recent memory was at the Chop House in down town Grand Rapids, Mi. Their known for their Cowboy steak but their Filet is amazing. They are very pricey though so we only go on my wife or my birthday where they run a special, show a valid license with the birthday being that day and they cut the cost in half (if a two top, cut out a third of three top, etc so that essentially birthday meal is free). Awesome way to incentivize eating there.

At home I’m very partial to the local Meijer butcher shop which has told us they are known as the best butcher in the chain and they frequently sell very nice tenderloins for $6/lb. Cooked on my old PK charcoal grill.

redriverhunter
10-26-2020, 07:35 PM
when I was in the navy we went to Australia. A few of us got a rental a car to go see the crocodile hunters zoo. We stopped at a small place, it was only thing there in the middle of no where and got the best steak I have ever had. I have never had another that compares.

shooterg
10-26-2020, 07:37 PM
At the old family farmhouse across the street many times . Black Angus steak cooked to perfection by my Granny !
Almost as good were the canned steak and gravy she put up and sent me while in college.
Y'all done made me hungry again...

Bazoo
10-26-2020, 07:40 PM
Best I've ever had was one I cooked myself over fire. I'm getting decent at cooking over fire, let it go to coals before adding the meat. I have a cast iron grate from a fancy outdoor grill I use. Dried apple wood from wild apples, or just scraps will work. I like mine well done, just a touch of crisp at the edges. No steak sauce if it's good.

MUSTANG
10-26-2020, 07:48 PM
The Embassy Club in Seoul Korea 1976. Kitchen run by a French Chef.

Three44s
10-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Bazoo beat me to it!

Mine is done on an old furnace grate over hot coals from mountain wood at our cow/hunting camp in the mountains!

I swear old shoe leather heated up would taste good up in the hills, good food is just that much better!

Three44s

Harter66
10-26-2020, 08:10 PM
My buddy Jorge bought a pile of porterhouses for deer camp .

We were late getting out of town due to a train wreck of last minute changes missed breakfast we were going to eat on the way out of town . The little heart attack burger shack on the way to 50 miles out in the sticks 95 miles from home was closed too . We set camp and made an afternoon hunt just to feel things and our extra party's nephew took a big mulie doe about an hour before dark . Now somehow I missed the grab a snack bag part of the load and I had worked about 5-6 little draws and spring piles as I was just along to bird dog and chase some chucker and grouse . After the nephew shot the deer Jorge took my shotgun jacket etc and I went down in the canyon . Mind you I really hadn't eaten since dinner the night before and run 5 miles or so at 7500-9000 ft . About 500 yd down and 150 over to the well hit but not deceased and finished it . Installed the "zipper" and started up the hill about 30° and 250 yd to the truck . The first 100 were a breeze but 50 yd later I crashed , put her down to catch my wind and recover some . I got back and figured I was good to go . I shouldered up the 150-175# of trips dressed head and hide and went another 50 yd ...... Long story short Jorge and the nephew hauled it the last 50 yd and I collapsed . I guess I burned every speck of sugar in the system in about 30 minutes I got a pop choked down and myself up to the truck . We got the field care covered had some dinner and hit the racks . Breakfast was quick and I carb loaded and sugared up we hunted all morning but my enthusiasm was somewhat less than it had been . About noon we packed it in to go back in for lunch . We were well out of the area we expected to find deer and the king of the mountain popped up out of the creek bottom . 2 hr later we had him in the truck all 227# dry score 234-6/8 field dress . By 4:00 and well into the long shadows we were cleaned up and I was feeling almost human again . We got a good fire going the nephew rolled some taters in foil . Stuffed the taters in the coals and put those steaks on the grill with just garlic and pepper , sage , cedar , and dry pinion both in the fire and the air , some salt after the turn . Yeah buddy .

I don't know if it was best steak ever but it was most assuredly a top 10 .

RU shooter
10-26-2020, 08:20 PM
The first ribeye and strip steaks I had from the first Hereford I raised from a calve . The marble on that meat was what dreams were made of

Minerat
10-26-2020, 08:31 PM
Minturn Yacht Club in Minturn CO not sure it is still there. It was one of those places where you picked the meat out if the cold case, sold only USDA prime aged beef and you paid separate for the sides. Their T-bone was to die for.

15meter
10-26-2020, 08:39 PM
My best was from earliest memories of steak in the early 60's to 1977, last year we raised feeder cattle. Every fall we put in between 160 and 190 head of yearlings. ~700 lbs. Mostly white faced Herefords. Fed them out to ~1300 on ground ear corn and alfalfa. What my dad called hard finishing. No grass or silage fed around here.

For a number of years all our cattle was delivered directly to one of the better packing houses in Detroit, they specialize in the high end restaurant trade. When the load was delivered, they called the stockyards and got a quote on the highest price load that day and paid dad a penny a pound over that. Highest price plus no commission. A penny a pound doesn't sound like much today, but when fed cattle were less than a quarter a pound a penny was a lot. Plus no commission.

Experimented with some Angus, never impressed with the gain or the meat. Dad always went back to Herefords.

That was the best beef I've ever had, been in some high dollar steak houses since then--Morton's in Chicago, high buck place in LA that I can't remember the name of that wasn't worth walking across the street to, plus a couple of others, none of them could compare.

With out the high protein ration and feed them heavier you just don't get the marbling and the flavor.

The stuff today is healthier for you, but I'd love one of those bone-in ribeye steaks I got growing up.

Just don't miss the baling hay or grinding feed, we ground all our own feed. 400-500 bushels every Tuesday and Saturday from early October until early June. Rain, snow, sleet it didn't matter you were out grinding feed. Then clean the barns out.

Makes my back ache just thinking about it. And the eyes water just thinking about all that ammonia while cleaning out the barns.

GhostHawk
10-26-2020, 08:40 PM
My wifes parents give her "Beef Bucks" every Christmas, she hoards them a bit.

One day some 5 years ago she walked into our local Cash Wise Grocery store butcher section.
Said I want a whole rack of Prime rib steaks. Guy behind the counter drug it out, sealed in thick plastic bag.
Had 2 120$ stickers on it, ie 240$. He kind of looks at her, she hands him 240$ in beef bucks and says I'll take it.

I got a look at it, left it out on the porch overnight so it was not "Quite" frozen, just very stiff.

Cut the plastic off, sharpened my Rapala Fillet knife, the big one. After thinking a bit laid a fork on the top, made a little slice, moved the fork, sliced again. Each of those slices was between one inch and an eighth and an inch and a quarter apart.

And I proceeded to slice and vacumn bag each steak as it came off.

Seven minutes on the first side under the Nat Gas broiler, 6.5 to 7 on the other side. Hot, tasty, tender, pink center, awesomeness.
We made them last 3 years.

Once cooked I would take the outer ring of fattier beef and leave her with the leaner eye which was still more than she could eat most nights. Pure fat chunks got slipped to my little dog along with burnt parts.

Hard to find good steaks now days, most butchers don't age long enough to get truly tender over 1" steaks.
But it can be done.

FYI only thing I put on mine is a little sprinkle of Adoph's meat tenderizer and garlic before it hits the broiler.
After just a touch of salt. I like to taste the BEEF!

metricmonkeywrench
10-26-2020, 08:46 PM
There are 2 that come to mind, the first was way back in late 1983 I have forgotten most of the specific details, I was working for an air compressor company supplying the oil industry down in Louisiana, we had just finished a trade show in the SuperDome and the Boss took us all down the road to a hole in the wall restaurant, the entrance was a narrow hallway with a bar of one side and about 6ft over a stairway. The place was packed to the gills and seating was by groups. When we made it upstairs seating was long benches seating about 12 per side and the room was huge. Of course being near the French Qtr the names of the steaks on the menu were expressed in Cajun from petit on up. The biggest seemed to be about the size of a hubcap and had one of those if you can eat it all type award deals. The remainder of the menu was quite simple baked of fried potatoes and water, coke or beer for drinks. No sauces, rubs or dressings other than salt and pepper. I picked a midsize and when it arrived and though a real knife was provided it was fork cut the whole way. I finished it and was stuffed and a happy camper.

The second came courtesy of some ARAMCO workers and their families in Saudi Arabia just before the 1st Gulf War. We were set up behind a Truck Stop off the main Highway servicing vehicles around Thanksgiving (different story there) as we were not with the Main Body of our unit we were more or less missed when the ARAMCO folks made the rounds visiting the various units. One small group on their way home saw us when they stopped for gas. They had some leftovers, the steaks were cold, a bit tough and greasy, but the best we had ever had as they did not come out of a green thermal vat or a brown wrapper.

Wild Bill 7
10-26-2020, 08:51 PM
725, flat iron steaks are made from top blade muscle in the chuck. We use to call them feather steaks when I was first learning how to cut meat. To make them you split the top blade where the seam is in the middle. Clean up the outside and you have two flat iron steaks.

relics6165
10-26-2020, 08:57 PM
McBrides, Wichita Falls, Texas. Hard to beat.

country gent
10-26-2020, 09:02 PM
One of the best steaks I ever had was right after the big power outage at work a few years ago. when the plant went down the casting machines pots were all full. Almost everyone was sent home. those asked to stay suited up in the green suits. With ladles and 55 gallon drums we emptied all the machines pots. It was a hot summer night and even hotter in die cast. Bottled water was free or the taking. We were working 1/2 hour on and 45 mins off in crews. 2 guys were kept over separate and when we were about 1/2-3/4 done the plant manager came in with ice chests of steaks potatoes beer and soda. Those 2 fired up the grill and started in.m Just after that last ladle full went into the drum. we were sitting out side at the tables cooling down the PM came out with several coolers f beer A shortly after that the steaks and baked potatoes. Wasnt anything really special as a meal. But the Thank-you and show of appreciation it conveyed were.

rockrat
10-26-2020, 09:03 PM
Saltgrass steakhouse. Ordered a rib-eye steak. Didn't need a knife to cut it, just used my fork. Tenderest steak I have ever had and had a good flavor.

gbrown
10-26-2020, 09:14 PM
I've had a few, and I mean a few good ones at restaurants. Best are those cooked at my place to my specs. Cooked right, served right, best you can have, all I can say.

elmacgyver0
10-26-2020, 09:18 PM
I like steaks but I'd just as soon have a good burger.
If Biden wins it will probably be all I can afford anyway, if that.
Good thing I have simple tastes.

adcoch1
10-26-2020, 09:30 PM
The Metropolitan Grill in Seattle WA. Best day I ever had with the ex wife. Had a porterhouse that was out of this world. Bout two inches thick and fork cut tender. It was amazing. But I really can't say for sure if that 200 dollar meal was better than my first backstrap steak from my archery killed bull elk. My uncle bbqed that thing up after all day cutting up elk. Was quite a treat...

Texas by God
10-26-2020, 09:34 PM
My favorite steak is a ribeye seared medium rare by me in an iron skillet from a steer that grew up here. As far as restaurants go, I'd say Ruth's Chris in downtown Fort Worth is great but costly, Saltgrass has always done me well, and as mentioned above; Mcbride's in Witchita Falls is great- but their thick cut smoked pork chops were heaven sent- but I'm drifting....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

RP
10-26-2020, 09:36 PM
22 ounce porter house at a place called the Water Mark on NC coastline sad to say he retired sold the place and the new guy could not cook a hamburger that was any good. Now the best steak I get is cooked on the grill in the backyard.

Newboy
10-26-2020, 09:38 PM
Hilltop Steakhouse in Boston long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jj850
10-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Riley's bar and grill in Iola Kansas. or the cattlemen's club in battle mountain Nevada. Both had a good ribeye twenty or so years ago. If you asked for rare at the cattlemen's club you better want Rare . In my memory those two were close to perfect, but It may have had more to do with those particular days being over'

Ickisrulz
10-26-2020, 10:11 PM
The best steak I ever had was back in 1995 or 1996 at a little bar somewhere between Anchorage and Fairbanks (closer to Fairbanks). I have no idea what the place was called. It was served with a baked potato they cooked in a microwave.

clum553946
10-26-2020, 10:14 PM
Double LL Steakhouse in Visalia, Ca has fantastic prime bone in ribeyes & tomahawks! They cook them over oak & serve them on a buttered sizzling platter!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Actually, I had a whole bunch of them. In 1987 I bought 30 acres in the Oregon Coast Range Mountains. The folks that we bought it from were of the hippy persuasion, and when we did a walk through and walk about of the property the husband was grilling a steak over an open fire. There was just a ring of rocks like perhaps in a campground, and the guy had a refrigerator shelf over the rocks for a grate. It looked and smelled great. Well, we bought it, and then not too long after that I decided to see if the fellow's technique would work for me. I grilled two bone-in rib steaks over oak wood, and the Mrs. and I loved it. Although I had been (and still am) a user of the Weber Kettle, this beat it hands down. The nearest town had a supermarket that seemed to be one of a kind, not part of a big chain, and they always had good meat. Many Fridays I stopped on the way home from work and picked up a couple of their bone-in rib steaks. This was in the late '80s and early '90s, and they ran about $4.65 at the time. Never a disappointment. Then I had a distant relative stop by on his way home to Canada from a Mexican vacation, and he introduced me to Montreal Steak Seasoning. A bit of that made it even better. :D My brother has an amazingly good marinade, but that's a once-in-awhile thing.

Elroy
10-26-2020, 10:25 PM
The most memorable steak I ever ate was when I was about 9,or 10,and we were visiting my Uncle Butch and he fixed steak. He liked his really rare,and I wanted mine rare too. It was the first time I ever had meat that wasn't cooked dry. My Mother was always a good cook,but she always over cooked beef. I remember eating Mother's steak, and liking the flavor, but I just barely even swallow it. I would just chew it like a big chaw of tobacco. I still fix my steak as rare as I can ,and still get the center good,and warm.

DDriller
10-26-2020, 10:56 PM
Back in the 70's there was a little steak house in the country south of Ponca City, OK called the Ranch. The owner raised all is own beef. Best steaks I have ever eaten. He had a friendly fat Lab the got to eat a lot of the meat also.

lightman
10-26-2020, 11:03 PM
My Grandfather on my Mothers side cut meat for 50 something years. I've never seen meat for sale that would equal what he brought home. No matter who cooked it, my Grandmother, my Mother or my Wife or me, I've never had anything better.

But restaurant wise a few come to mine. Monte's Chop House in Tulsa Ok, Jeff Ruby's in Nashville, Sir Loin's Inn in North Little Rock, Taylor's in Dumas Ar are a few that come to mine. All of those were expensive and some of them are no longer open.

MUSTANG
10-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Riley's bar and grill in Iola Kansas. or the cattlemen's club in battle mountain Nevada. Both had a good ribeye twenty or so years ago. If you asked for rare at the cattlemen's club you better want Rare . In my memory those two were close to perfect, but It may have had more to do with those particular days being over'

I would have to 2nd the Cattlemens Club in in Battle Mountain used to serve one fine steak!!

abunaitoo
10-27-2020, 01:55 AM
Many, many, many years ago, we had a real Kobe steak house here.
Was a little expensive, and kind of small, but it just melted in your mouth.
These days you can't find a place that doesn't overcook a steak.
gooberment rules here.
So the best steak now is costco rib eye cooked at home over the grill.

BamaNapper
10-27-2020, 10:36 AM
If I had to choose it would be the NY Strip from Seven Stars Inn, Pottstown PA. Very memorable. Almost 2 lbs as I recall and done to perfection. (easier to hit perfection @ 2" thick) I highly recommend the restaurant.

I've had good steaks from a number of restaurants, but I almost never order one anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like a good steak. But I can usually do better over charcoal in the back yard with a steak of my choosing from a trusted butcher. Also, I ate too many meals in restaurants working customer sites all over the country. Restaurants are now more tolerated than enjoyed.

Thumbcocker
10-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Backstrap from a mature white tail doe. Salt free meat tenderize, garlic, fresh ground black pepper, wrapped in bacon cooked over lump hardwood charcoal.

Petrol & Powder
10-27-2020, 11:19 AM
Notice how most of these memories have more to do with:
Where you were
What you were doing
&
Who you were with ....than the actual meal ?

MostlyLeverGuns
10-27-2020, 12:08 PM
Ribeye and tenderloin from a young cow elk, medium rare, sauteed in butter in black iron frying pan.

MT Gianni
10-27-2020, 02:30 PM
In or about 1974 I ate often at La' Forchetta in Mar Del Plata, Argentina. Best steaks I ever came across. I have had some good Montana beef since then and had a great steak in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. I have also had some great cowboy fondue, t-bone on a pitchfork in hot oil in a milk can, but those in the mid 70's rank on top. Dinner was usually about $1.50 US and I was sure to tip at least that much.

quilbilly
10-27-2020, 03:02 PM
The best beef steak I ever had was in a restaurant in Caliente, Nevada. We haven't been through here since and I don't know if it is still there. The beef was Nevada range fed beef. It was a little tough because the steer had to work for a living but the flavor was out of this world. I used to raise bison and killed my share of elk but that beef was better.

MUSTANG
10-27-2020, 03:08 PM
The best beef steak I ever had was in a restaurant in Caliente, Nevada. We haven't been through here since and I don't know if it is still there. The beef was Nevada range fed beef. It was a little tough because the steer had to work for a living but the flavor was out of this world. I used to raise bison and killed my share of elk but that beef was better.

I've had a lot of good Mex cooking in Calinete; but don't remember ever even seeing a Steak in the Cafe's there. Next trip in the area I'll LookSee what they have (but the community is shrinking).

375RUGER
10-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Ribeye and tenderloin from a young cow elk, medium rare, sauteed in butter in black iron frying pan.

I remember at about 15yo my first bull elk steak, man it was good. A good bear medium rare is hard to beat though.

If y'all want a good beef, Click's Steakhouse in Pawnee, OK.

super6
10-27-2020, 03:47 PM
Gotta cold smoke that rib eye first than sear it shut! I use old worm wood from the woods flora.

jonp
10-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Mormon Lake Lodge Steakhouse about 30min from Flagstaff, AZ

mattw
10-27-2020, 05:13 PM
Best at home... I slow smoke them and then pull them onto a 600-650 degree grill for a slight sear. They other great option is sear the hot and fast and leave the center about 75-80 degrees. We always raised beef, for good beef now I go the the country butcher shop up the road and never get anything less than 1.75 inches thick. I have to butterfly the wifes, she will not eat blue rare.

txbirdman
10-27-2020, 05:54 PM
Perini Ranch in Abilene, Texas

Hick
10-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Best steak ever-- -somewhere in the midwest (Iowa maybe). I was on a business trip to one of our suppliers and got invited to go out to dinner. The guy driving went out in the middle of nowhere in the dark to some small crossroads where there was an old warehouse. We went in and there was a little counter with a one price menu: $7.95 all you can eat. After we paid, we went into the main part of the warehouse. In the middle of the floor was a huge brick barbeque, and all the walls were lined with display cases containing huge cuts of every kind of beef you can imagine-- uncooked, along with all sorts of beverages, breads and desserts. All evening long we just picked out what looked good and cooked it ourselves. Absolutely fabulous! Never did learn the name of the place or even where it was.

nseries
10-28-2020, 12:43 AM
Clint's Steakhouse somewhere south of Atlanta about 30 years ago.

kevin c
10-28-2020, 03:32 AM
When you're young and hungry after a long summer day out on a lake: a New York cut grilled over open flame, seasoned only with salt and pepper, just seared on both sides. Still remember that steak after 45 years...

10-x
10-28-2020, 06:46 AM
Guess this depends on how long ago one had the steak. Back in 80’s traveled and worked through Chicago and Peoria. “The Steak Joint” near the loop had superb rib eyes cooked perfectly to rare, then there was/ is a steak place in Peoria that had a rope “ Cow Tail” to open the door, excellent T- bones cooked perfectly. Forward to early 2000’s went to see friends in Texas. Went to a couple of places around Austin and Dallas/ Ft. Worth that were very good. Pretty content to carefully pick my steaks from local places and grill them on back porch. Cooking your own one knows what is put on the meat and how its cooked.

mike britton
10-28-2020, 08:39 AM
My best steak came in a steak house on the strip in Vegas. Don't remember the name of it, we were there for my best friend's wedding, and the whole night was chaos.
I've always liked my steaks medium. The waiter said if I was buying the filet he insisted I get it rare. We argued, he won. I think my late wife had some influence there.
Anyway, it was exquisite! Cut it with a fork, flavor like I had never tasted before. Best $50 steak I've ever had!

sharps4590
10-28-2020, 08:53 AM
Hands down, best steaks ever were those I raised and finished myself. Haven't had one that compares since we sold the farm.

snowwolfe
10-28-2020, 11:22 AM
New York Pepper steak served at the Double Muskie Inn located in Girdwood Alaska.

GregLaROCHE
10-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Best steak ever-- -somewhere in the midwest (Iowa maybe). I was on a business trip to one of our suppliers and got invited to go out to dinner. The guy driving went out in the middle of nowhere in the dark to some small crossroads where there was an old warehouse. We went in and there was a little counter with a one price menu: $7.95 all you can eat. After we paid, we went into the main part of the warehouse. In the middle of the floor was a huge brick barbeque, and all the walls were lined with display cases containing huge cuts of every kind of beef you can imagine-- uncooked, along with all sorts of beverages, breads and desserts. All evening long we just picked out what looked good and cooked it ourselves. Absolutely fabulous! Never did learn the name of the place or even where it was.

Sounds like heaven!

Rapidrob
10-28-2020, 02:36 PM
While stationed in San Diego, CA in 1976 I went out for my 25TH Birthday to have a good meal.
Across from the moored Queen Mary was a restaurant called the Quite Cannon. Being a Gunnersmate back then, I had to go there.
I ordered a large steak and I have to say that it was the best steak I have ever eaten before or since.
I had told my waiter that is was my Birthday and he told the chef. The chef made me my own Birthday cake that was just as good.

Iowa Fox
10-28-2020, 08:10 PM

We used to have several of them like that around. Sadly most closed and now the virus closed the last few left. I have been wondering if any of them will re open after the virus. The one in Walker, Iowa was right across the street from the meat locker. The steaks were never frozen. The owners were friends and if the restaurant started running low on steaks on a busy night he had a key to the locker and just went across the street to get more. The big chain steak places are for the birds.

Iowa Fox
10-28-2020, 08:13 PM
Jims steakhouse in Peoria was another one but looong gone.

David2011
10-28-2020, 09:46 PM
They all taste about the same to me because I learned a long time ago to cook them as well as some restaurants and better than most. The formula that works for me is to coat both sides generously with Montreal Steak Seasoning and let them rest until they get to room temperature. I use a good quality charcoal started with newsprint in a Weber chimney and add a piece of oak or pecan at the edge of the coals. I open the top vents all the way and throttle the heat with the bottom baffles. Take ‘em off the fire when the internal temperature hits 135 degrees.

Petrol & Powder
10-28-2020, 10:51 PM
I have had a lot of great steaks in my life. Some I cooked myself and some I ordered in awesome establishments. But the one constant to the events has been the people I was with and the activity surrounding the event.

Before the liberal idiots completely destroyed NYC, Chicago and other major U.S. cities, I had some great meals in fine establishments. Frankly, I've had some great meals in some real dives as well. The food is important but the people are the key.

Walla2
10-29-2020, 12:30 PM
Anthony's on 72nd in Omaha. Bone in strip steak. Just great. Hope it is still there. They had a huge fiberglass cow over the top of the entrance.

Idaho45guy
10-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Sounds like Rube's Steakhouse in Montour, IA.

I took my ex-wife there for her 21st birthday back in the 90's. Excellent steak, but it's no longer quite that cheap.

Best steak I ever had? Easy.

I grew up in Idaho the son of a cop with four kids. We ate mostly deer and elk. The random beef steak we could get was the cheapest, and dad did not know how to cook a steak. Most were pan-fried.

Add to that fact that Idaho beef is generally awful, and I grew up not liking steak. Could only choke it down with lots of Heinz 57.

Fast forward to a cross-country road trip in my musclecar in `93 and stopping in Iowa and meeting a fiesty little redhead at a local church who invited me to her parent's house for dinner.

She proudly announced that her dad was cooking ribeye steaks and mom was serving sweet corn and homemade rolls. Never heard of ribeyes, and corn was OK. The homemade rolls sounded promising.

I was handed a plate with a huge steak, a cob of sweet corn just picked from the field next to their house, and a perfect-looking dinner roll.

After grace, I asked if they had any steak sauce. It was like if I had just asked them if I could have sex with their daughter on the table. The pretty redhead whispered to me to just try a bit without sauce. I went to cut a piece and was amazed at how easily it cut. I popped it into my mouth and the combination of flavor and tenderness was amazing! This was absolutely delicious!

I ate a few more bites, then tried the sweet corn. Again, just amazing! Never had corn that good before. And the rolls? My gosh, surely I had died and gone to heaven.

The family was amused at my incredulity of the steak. I asked him how he prepared it and he said nothing special; just rubbed with butter, some light pepper, some garlic salt, and grilled over charcoal.

The meat was purchased at a local grocery store in Grinnell, IA. Fareway, I believe.

I have since learned that beef is just better out there. Most cattle in this area are free range. Meaning they wander around the mountains eating scrub and weeds and go up and down hills and get tough. That produces the toughest and worst tasting beef possible.

I have purchased dozens of ribeyes since moving back here a few years ago and have had two or three decent steaks, but nothing even close to that first ribeye in Iowa nearly 30 years ago. No matter what grade or cut I try out here, it is all barely edible.

tankgunner59
10-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Couldn't tell you exactly where it is located. But when I went to Ft. Meyers, FL in 1998 we went to a steak house called Bubba's, I had the best chicken fried steak I have ever had to this date. It was a ribeye steak about 9 or 10 ounces, tenderized and chicken fried to perfection. I would love to go back if I could find it again. It was one of those places that have buckets of peanuts on the tables and shells all over the floor.

clum553946
10-29-2020, 06:21 PM
Couldn't tell you exactly where it is located. But when I went to Ft. Meyers, FL in 1998 we went to a steak house called Bubba's, I had the best chicken fried steak I have ever had to this date. It was a ribeye steak about 9 or 10 ounces, tenderized and chicken fried to perfection. I would love to go back if I could find it again. It was one of those places that have buckets of peanuts on the tables and shells all over the floor.

It’s still there!

kootne
10-30-2020, 07:40 PM
2nd day of elk season, 1985, I had a couple hunters shoot a couple 6 point bulls in their beds on a steep thick north slope. We gutted them, propped them belly up with hips and shoulders on small logs to let them cool. Covered the open cavities with a layer of green spruce or fir limbs, pee'd on the trees all around to signify ownership to the coyotes and left them. My plan was to retrieve them the next day but the boss had me trying to get some more for other hunters. He said, "they'll keep, cool nights on a north slope, don't worry". So 5 or 6 days later Jim Loessberg and I finally took off with 4 mules to get them. A cold, windy, spitty snow day and about an 8 mile ride to where they were. We parked the stock on a little bench above the elk and bailed down with ropes and manny's. Before we started to quarter and tarp the loads I said, "Jim, I am not riding all the way back to camp with wet and greasy gloves". So I built a little fire and as our Handy Andy's got wet and bloody we would toast them back to comfort. As we split the first bull front to back I got another idea. "Do you think those 2 dudes would ever miss a couple steaks"? "I'm quite sure they would not," he said. So I quick cut and peeled some willow sticks, wove them into a grill and flopped a couple nice thick backstrap steaks on. The fire was small and some of the wood was punky and we were busy at the Hillside Meat Market so they just kind of simmered, got flipped a time or 2 when it was convenient but with not much other attention. When we were packed and loaded we gave our gloves one last toasting and ate our steaks with our fingers and knives like a couple of cave men. After a bite or 2 we both commented on how we wished the steaks at the local roadhouse were that good. I have always thought that was the best steak I ever ate.

LIMPINGJ
11-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Oasis Steakhouse and Lounge in Manhattan, MT was the best I ever had when I flying around for a living.

farmbif
11-02-2020, 07:15 PM
one memorable steak was 1989 while on the road heading west towards Nashville at the original cracker barrel restaurant. it was a porterhouse or some other quality cut of steak chicken fried with gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans and fresh baked rolls and cornbread. it was that good I still remember it like it was yesterday.

jsizemore
11-06-2020, 08:36 PM
My next steak will be the one!

monkey wrangler
11-06-2020, 11:55 PM
Star hotel in Elko Nevada it is a Basque restaurant. Took the wife with me on a business trip and took her on a date night. They served the best filet mignon it was seared on the sides and tender and juicy in the middle. If you have never heard of Basque family style dining it is about a 9 course meal and it is just one long table with everyone sitting together.

KCSO
11-07-2020, 11:14 AM
A friend got a trip to the Virgin Islands and his father in law took them out to eatat the best place in town a real fancy high class place. They got their steaks and they were the best he had ever had so he asked where do you get your steaks?

The waiter replied we have them flown in from Omaha Steak... lest than 30 miles from his house! They are still one of the best places for quality steaks.

WheelgunConvert
11-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Roberto’s on River Road in St. Martin, Louisiana

bullseye67
11-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Good afternoon,

The best steak is an interesting process.

I was raised on a cattle ranch and we always had BEEF and lots of it. We had up to 8 hired men to feed. They worked hard fencing, baling and at our lumber mill. They logged all winter and and sawed lumber in between spring farm work and haying.
My grandmother on one side would cook steaks on a wood fired stove in a cast iron frying pan then slip them into a hot Dutch oven and pop them in the oven. The other grandmother would hand cut huge steaks about 4” thick and as big as her biggest cast frying pan. Then fry them smoking hot both sides and slip the whole pan in the oven. Both ways were “melt in your mouth” so good....

I have a very high standard for steaks and all beef. I had a flat in Greatfalls Montana and the tire shop was beside a restaurant. So we went over to have breakfast while they fixed the tire. Ordered steak and eggs. Asked the waitress what was the cut of steak, she said “its a big hunk. They hand cut it in the back.” When breakfast arrived it was a plate with toast, eggs and hash browns. A plater with 2 beautiful “hunks of meat”. I felt like I was back at the farm. So perfect, nice crusty, caramel with crunchy edges and ohh..soo perfectly pink and juicy. I remember it like it was yesterday.....went back the next time through and it had burnt down. I asked at the tire shop and they said they weren’t rebuilding it. Every time I drive past I always get a twinge wondering if they started another restaurant.

Now as for a steakhouse steak. I have become quite fond of THE CHOP restaurant. They serve a smoked ribeye that is really good.

As bangerjim said. Home cooked steak is hard to beat.