PDA

View Full Version : home brew lubers

12-09-2008, 11:44 AM
After poking around locally and on the net found what seems like a reasonable source for anhydrous lanolin. I checked the extremely limited local possibities and mostly no luck. Even Wallyworld pharmacy wanted 35.00+ per pound!!!
Found Nu Scents on the net- primarily a supplier for soap and candle makers. Used their toll free number and ordered 2 pounds. One week later arrives by mail.... 22.00 delivered!! They may have been listed in an earlier thread but thought I'd post this in case anyone's looking for lube ingredients.

kir_kenix
12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
That seems like an excellent price. I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to make up a batch of "Felix" lube. Sure is cheaper to make your own (even if you have to buy the components) then pay $3-$3.50 a stick at the store!

BABore
12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Check out this place;

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

zampilot
12-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that RCBS' Case Lube is mostly A.L.

garandsrus
12-10-2008, 01:14 AM
I use the anhydrous lanolin mixed with 99% rubbing alcohol to make case sizing lube. This is the same mix that Dillon sells.

John

moto357
12-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Any reason why anhydrous lanolin is used as opposed to pure lanolin oil? I ask cuz a local hippie shop sells the lanolin oil, but can't find the anhydrous lanolin without ordering off the net.

felix
12-10-2008, 01:42 AM
I say NO difference, but that is without trying it to make sure. Suspect the proportions might be different for the same effect. The liquid might not have the same viscosity building properties. ... felix

cheese1566
12-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello, I am new to the casting scene and starting reading this forum for the last few weeks.

What is the use of the lanolin?

My other half has a small home based cloth diaper supply business. We package lanolin in small various quantities, ranging from a few ounces to a few pounds.

Tom Herman
12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
How much alcohol do you use to dilute the lanolin? Appreciate you passing along the formula, now I can save more $$$!
I'm another fellow Garandistani....

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

I use the anhydrous lanolin mixed with 99% rubbing alcohol to make case sizing lube. This is the same mix that Dillon sells.

John

felix
12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
What is the use of the lanolin?

Viscosity is second to none (natual occuring substances). ... felix