PDA

View Full Version : Ladles

B R Shooter
10-26-2020, 08:08 AM
I've been using a Lyman that has the nose on the side that somewhat fits the taper of the sprue plates. I fill the ladle about 3/4, put the mold against it on edge, then rotate both to sprue on top to fill. I give it a second then easy the ladle off to fill the sprue taper, or have some run-off.

I was looking at a Rowell ladle, bottom pour, that appears to not fit the sprue plate holes. This looks like it would mimic a bottom pour pot. True?

I know everyone has their preference, ladle or bottom pour, but is either ladle better than the other for more bullet consistency?

RickinTN
10-26-2020, 08:43 AM
I use the same ladle as you. It sounds like what you are doing is known as pressure casting. The ladle you have is a bottom pour in that any trash stays afloat above the nipple which you're filling the cavity with. I have never used a Rowell and did consider it many times. From what I understand it is a much heavier ladle than the Lyman and I'm not sure I would want to handle any more weight than my Lyman full of melt.
Good Luck,
Rick

country gent
10-26-2020, 10:52 AM
I ladle cast and use either a lyman or RCBS ladle I have a rowel #1 but find it big or 2 cavity moulds at 1 lb of alloy. I also find the longer handle a hindrance also.For the bigger 8 and 10 cavity moulds it would be better. A 4 or 5 rowel would be good for pouring ingots.

I pour a ladle full of lead into the sprue hole letting the extra run back into the pot, Keeping the base and sprue molten much longer. I mostly pour long heavy bullets 45s up to 550 grns. 40s up to 425 grns 38s up to 360 grns Long heavy bullets for the caliber. I find the "over pour" increases keepers and makes better bases.

I also have all my 2 cavities sprue plates vented. a deep counter sink with a slightly shallower trough between them and a shallower trough to the end of the mould. When held level the sprues and deep trough fill then the shallow groove bleeds o excess leaving a very consistent sprue.

Dusty Bannister
10-26-2020, 10:58 AM
The Rowell is a true bottom pour ladle in that ALL alloy is drawn from below the surface of the melt. The Lyman and RCBS are side pour ladles and afford a brief moment when the pour is drawn from the edge of the surface as the ladle is tilted to begin the pour. There are a lot of folks that will argue the point that the Lyman and RCBS are bottom pour, but let's not start that water fight.

I recently received a Rowell #2 (about 2 pound capacity) and will use it for pouring enrichment alloy ingots and dive weights. I hope to get a clean smooth surface on the weights to avoid cutting or abrading the wet suits when used. Given that I might also consider selling off some of my stash, I would rather offer clean ingots instead of junky looking ingots, but that is just me. The nozzle of the Rowell ladle does not lend itself to pressure casting as the opening is much too large to fit the sprue plate but would do well for open pouring when casting.

The Rowell ladle comes in many sizes with the #1 being the smallest and more likely used when casting with a gang mold with the groove in the sprue plate such as the Lyman and H&G multiple cavity molds.

B R Shooter
10-27-2020, 06:07 AM
I also have all my 2 cavities sprue plates vented. a deep counter sink with a slightly shallower trough between them and a shallower trough to the end of the mould. When held level the sprues and deep trough fill then the shallow groove bleeds o excess leaving a very consistent sprue.

My rifle mold is from Accurate, they offer a sprue with a trough between the cavities, but not one off the edge. I'm sure they could do it if asked. I didn't get the trough sprue.

country gent
10-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Most of my moulds have home made sprue plates now still have a couple to go. I make them from 1/4" thick starrtet 01 gauge stock. A little thicker than standard on most moulds. These hold heat better and the sprue trough is a little wider than the base of the bullet. Keeping the whole base hot longer, allowing for better off gassing and fill out. I have a rcbs 22 cal moud that has a 3/8" thick sprue plate that really helps keep the mould up to temp with those little 55 grn bullets. the big sprue helps to hold the heat with more mass. This sprue channel is inset into the plate and holds a lot more lead