PDA

View Full Version : Opentop for a Flatop

curioushooter
10-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Made a holster for my Bisley 44 special; somewhat pleased.

Some info. The Flattop Blackhawks are considerably larger than a 44 Colt New Frontier. I have a Lawrence 120 type holster pattern (with a skirt option) for a 6" Colt NF 44 and just went ahead and cut leather without pattern-making first. Big mistake. The holster was totally undersized for this 5.5" 44 Blackhawk. Also, those Lawrence 120 types seem best to me for a revolver with trought-type rear sights or something more stable than the adjustable ones on a Blackhawk. Put some forward cant on this too since it seems to want to do that anyway.

This is the first holster I've made that doesn't cover the trigger. Not a fan of that but it is traditional and functional with a single action. Was considering installing a strap on it. But I can always make more.

cwtebay
10-25-2020, 07:04 PM
Looks great!! Good work on your basket stamping!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

elmacgyver0
10-25-2020, 07:15 PM
It is fine as long as you leave the hammer down.
On mine I have a leather thong that goes over the hammer, flip it off with your thumb prior to drawing.

curioushooter
10-26-2020, 02:06 PM
I think I will make a more triangular shaped Lawrence type with a strap. See how that goes. And a tanker. So this one may be going up for sale.

I really wish Blackhawks were a little less horned. They have sharp edges all over and tear up the holster and your hands when you practice working the action. I see what people like Vaqueros and Colts which seem a lot more slicked up.

Bazoo
10-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Nice work. I've made several that were slim Jim style where there is a deep cutout at the trigger but with the guard covered. Made a double loop Cheyenne holster for a blackhawk some years back and it worked well. I also had a cartridge belt got it (not dropped).

Bull-Moose
10-26-2020, 04:53 PM
Very nice work.

Triggerfinger
10-26-2020, 07:40 PM
That is a excellent bit of work on the holster, nice work!

onelight
11-05-2020, 03:49 PM
I think I will make a more triangular shaped Lawrence type with a strap. See how that goes. And a tanker. So this one may be going up for sale.

I really wish Blackhawks were a little less horned. They have sharp edges all over and tear up the holster and your hands when you practice working the action. I see what people like Vaqueros and Colts which seem a lot more slicked up.
Your holster looks very great .
The sharp edges are one of the reasons I get Rugers in stainless when I can easy to soften the sharp corners with no finish on the gun.

SSGOldfart
11-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Wow you did great:-P

Der Gebirgsjager
11-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Nice looking holster. I'd go for a thong over the hammer. You can utilize it as you feel necessary. Might keep a nice gun from being snagged out by a branch and falling on a rock. Your revolver no doubt has the transfer bar mechanism which is some extra insurance if you don't use a thong.