PDA

View Full Version : solder

roscottjr
10-25-2020, 12:33 AM
If the answer to my question is in the forums I haven't found it yet and been looking for hours.

I have seen a few comments made in regards to acid core solder. Should it be avoided for bullet alloys and if so, why?

6mm win lee
10-25-2020, 06:15 AM
Solder is solder. Melt it down, outside on a windy day, to get rid of the acid. Process in standard fashion using an alloy calculator to ingots.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?409287-Acid-core-solder-ratio

roscottjr
10-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Yes, that is one of the threads I read before making the post. So there is nothing wrong with the acid core solder other than maybe fumes? I just didn't want to damage my pots or molds if there was anything bad about using it.

kevin c
10-25-2020, 01:23 PM
I haven't dealt with acid core myself, but I've read posts here about soaking up the acid with sawdust (apparently skimming it before it burns off). Between skimming off both the sawdust and the usual dross, it seems there are no appreciated, or, at least, no reported, equipment issues.

Supposedly it's bad to get into any fumes produced.

trebleplink
10-25-2020, 05:15 PM
I was lucky enough to find a really good deal on 95/5 lead free solder - and its a good source of Tin. But usually it's more expensive per pound than Pewter.

Conditor22
10-25-2020, 05:26 PM
You can buy 60/40 -- 40/60 from radiator repair shops.

It is drippings from the floor they sweep up after soldering radiators.

** when you buy it make sure they pour ALL the water out of the bucket before they weigh it.

this stuff is NASTY to smelt

USSR
10-25-2020, 06:37 PM
You will get a lot of smoke with acid core solder, but the acid core floats to the top of the pot and is easily removed with a spoon. No reason not to use it.

Don

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-26-2020, 08:25 AM
metal is metal, you just need to have a plan to deal with the acid flux.
I used saw dust.