PDA

View Full Version : Getting pretty good at casting balls and boolits

wittzo
12-09-2008, 05:16 AM
I got 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of various wheel weights from a local tire store. I dug through and got out all the ribbon weights because I read they were made of softer lead, which is what I want to use for my cap and ball revolver.

I smelted the weights and dipped out the zinc and iron weights with the dross so I could sell it for scrap and poured the lead into 2 oz stainless steel condiment cups which I had smoked. I've got about 28 lbs of ribbon weight lead in 1 to 1.5 pound ingots. I use an old lead dipper ladle as a melting pot so I can pour straight into the mold without a lot of fuss.

I'm using a Lee double cavity .457 round ball mold.

My first batch was a joke, most of the balls had concentric lines from not having the mold hot enough, but I shot them anyway.

The second batch I did last night turned out much better. I use a Coleman stove with a propane tank. While my ingots were melting, I leaned my mold against my lead dipper and it made the mold plenty warm enough, I only cast a few ringers.

I smelted the clip on weights and cast them into ingots for my .62 double barrel pistol which should be coming in tomorrow.. I ordered a .60 Lee mold and some hand cast .60 balls so I would have something to load up. They had a used Lee Ruger .456 conical mold on sale, so I bought it, too. They came in today.

Tonight I tried out the two new molds. The .60 came out perfect, as well as the conicals. I've figured out the right way to pour them, at then end of each casting session, I had a small piece of sprue left over, not enough to make a solid .44 ball.

Because I used a harder lead for the .60, my balls are 5 grains lighter than the ones I bought, but they have mold lines and sprue cuts identical to mine, mine look better.. I only had a few conicals that had ripples in them from a cold mold, but they look really good, too.

missionary5155
12-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Greetings and WELCOME.... I have been making bolits a long time and I still get wrinkles with pure lead castings. Round balls are not so particular and even the nose on a regular boolit... but do watch your boolit bases and sides. You want those areas as perfect as possible.
But casting is an ejoyable part of being independent of the wims of the blind following the blind.
Are your large muzzleloaders flinters ?

boommer
12-10-2008, 12:59 AM
I throw 1/4 pound of tin in for 15 pounds in my pot, just sharpens and helps the fill out but really dos'nt harden much, still loads easy and conical still bumps up.