PDA

View Full Version : New Toy For Al

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 01:17 AM
I ran across a like-new Colt Detective Special today, 1933 mfg. that looks like it left Hartford late last week. It could be a re-blue, but I can't discern same--maybe done by Colt, but it looks like a nightstand gun that never came out. Action is utterly bank-vault tight and V-spring smooth, and I don't think the sideplate has ever been removed. Price was OK ($450 OTD), but these don't grow on trees and especially in this sort of condition. I've wanted a DetSpec for a LONG TIME, and finally the want--the availability--and the free cash happened all at the same time. I'll try to do some pics with Buckshot after The Governator blesses the transfer.

I'm right happy!

runfiverun
12-09-2008, 01:24 AM
i knew it...
you were being way too nice to the wife.
ran across,oh brother, suuuurrre.

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Marie will likely try to rip it off, as she did the SIG P-228 and Colt OMT that followed me home. I occasionally get to take out the Colt, but haven't fired the SIG twice in five years. I do get to clean it and reload for it, though. I can already hear it--"Oh, that is so cute--THANK YOU!", then into the purse--never to be viewed again except for cleaning (by me).

danski26
12-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Very nice pick up! 2" barrel??

Buckshot
12-09-2008, 02:47 AM
..............Al, isn't that what Glen bought at Turners a couple years ago? You passed up the Ruger in 7x57 and God knows whatelse to buy a pistol they almost forgot to put a barrel on?

...............Buckshot

bobk
12-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Great gun! About thirty years ago, they came out with a run of 3" barreled guns. Somebody had the barrels for sale, so I put one on. Ruined the collector value, but ended up with a great loafin' around gun. 10% more velocity, maybe.
Bob K

leadeye
12-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Those Detective Specials are great guns. I bought one 30 years ago and my wife took it as well. She still carrys it but I do get to clean it off and on.

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Danski-

Yes, it's a 2" and all-steel frame (not a Cobra). I think the DS is the best version of a snubnose pocket 38 ever put together--small, light even when steel-framed, and 6 shot cylinder.

Rick, there's just not enough ballistic difference between the 6.5 x 55 I already have and the 7 x 57 to justify the outlay for tooling and components cost. Another 30-06 would just be a better use of the money, and I already have the tools and components for it. I'm leaning toward building one.

I didn't have a pocket 38 of any kind, either--and hadn't for a long time. The last one I had (and only one I've owned) was a 2" Model 10 about 20+ years ago, and the DS is substantially smaller and lighter by several ounces (there was a M-10 x 2" there to compare it with). I'd fired an FBI Model 13 x 3" some years back, and that or a Model 65 is another decent carry gun I would make room for in the safe. I've had the chance to fire a lot of J-frame S&Ws over the years, and fewer DS variants--both old series like the one I bought and the new series with the shrouded ejector rod (I think that is the version Glen bought, Rick--and didn't Larry snag one as well?) The older ones shouldn't use +P ammo, and mine won't--I'll scrounge some Federal 158 LSWC-HP or a similar load for social purposes, and I'll duplicate it with a handload for shootin'.

I'm pretty happy about this, and also happy to know that I'm not the only shooting hobbyist whose spouse purloins his acquisitions and diverts them to their own uses.

MT Gianni
12-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I looked at an Agent yesterday in G. Falls and to my old eyes even with out glasses there appeared to be some wear on the star. They really would pack nice. Nice find, Al.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Good catch!!! They're great carry guns. Does it have the short grip frame? If so, a pair of Cobra grips and a Tyler grip insert, will make it much easier to conceal, while improving the hold. This was my regular carry gun when in plainclothes.
Morgan

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Morgan--

It has original 1933 checkered grips with the short butt and radiused ends. The piece is so darn clean I wouldn't dream of attaching a T-Grip--that would be like taking spray paint to the Sistine Chapel. It's THAT NICE. My thoughts were to use Pachmayr Compacs (if they're still even made.....) and store the original grips.

I once had an old PPS in 32-20, and its grip frame flared more widely at the end than the Pachmayr Presentations I put on it would accomodate. I made a few alterations to the grips, and they fit fine. This piece doesn't have that wider flare--we'll see what happens. I really like neoprene grips on my handguns, although they are a little out of place on a gun of this vintage.

MtGun44
12-10-2008, 12:32 AM
My Cobra with Pach Compac grips fits my hand so perfectly it is scary. The
little pinky cutout indexes it instantly, repeatably and perfectly. Think of where you want
the bullet hole out to be out to about 10 yds and a hole appears there. I do a lot of
IPSC and am very much a 'use the sights - fast' shooter, but this one gun
does not actually need it. +1 for the Pach Compac grips.

You will enjoy it, I like mine more than the J-frames.

I added the hammer guard to my nickeled new model Cobra, but even if
you were going to drill it (don't) I think I got one of the last ones available
about 4 years ago.

Bill

Morgan Astorbilt
12-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Al., I bought mine new in 1966(Police price about forty bucks tax free!!!). It's a second issue, and has the new(then) wrap under wood grips. The short grip frame allows for different length wood grips to be installed. I removed the original Det. Spl. grips, and put on Cobra grips, about 3/8" shorter. I've got big hands, and adding the Tyler grip, allows me to hold the gun securely, with two fingers under the guard. I'll dig up the original grips and take a photo tomorrow.
Morgan

Buckshot
12-10-2008, 03:20 AM
[QUOTE=9.3X62AL;444474](I think that is the version Glen bought, Rick--and didn't Larry snag one as well?) QUOTE]

............Yes he did. He said he tried to be mature about buying it and decided to wait and think it over....................

He said it was the 10 minutes from hell :-)

.................Buckshot

Morgan Astorbilt
12-10-2008, 09:46 AM
This is the change they made in 1966. They shortened the grip frame, and had the wood wrap under it. The grips on the right are the ones it came with, the ones it's wearing, are Cobra grips, making it more concealable.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/DetSpl2.jpg

I've carried this gun in probably a dozen different holsters, from shoulder, to crotch, to ankle, but this was my main holster. The most uncomfortable, was the ankle holster, it wore through the skin, but was the easiest to access, while in a car. The S&W Chief's Spl. Airweight, was better for this, but the two piece ejector rod gives only a 5/8" stroke, not a good thing in combat situations, and the extra round the Colt carries, is always nice to have.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/DetSpl1.jpg
Al, How long does it take to get your gun in Kalifornia? I'd sure like to see some pictures. Those older models were better made, with smoother actions than the ones in the sixties. They suffered from all the orders from GI's on their way to Nam, and the quality suffered.
Morgan

9.3X62AL
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
10-day wait here in the Pipple's Respooblik, plus a weekend due to date of purchase. No, I'm NOT a very patient Californian.

OK--if those are Cobra grips, then that is what is on my revolver. Unlike your example (IIRC), the butt frame has matching outside dimension to the grips--so it must be the "long" version and not the "short" that was my initial impression from past ownership of a PPS is 32-20 WCF. I gather from this that Colt used at least 3 butt forms on the "D"-frame variants over the years.

THANK YOU for posting those pics, it cleared up some misinformation that I posted.

Three44s
12-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I handled one of those a while back .....

I don't think your DS is going to be "your gun" for long ........... your wife will surely COMANDEER IT!!

Until then .... congrats on a good acquisition!!

Three 44s

MT Gianni
12-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Al, I foresee a "Snubby" category in Winnemucca this year.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Al, I don't know if yours is less able to take heavy loads, I doubt that there's any difference in the steel or heat treating, but mine eats up Elmer's great 165gr. 358429, ahead of 4.0gr. Bullseye. This was the load I carried on the job, and that saved my life. You really want a fast powder in these shorties.

NVcurmudgeon
12-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I have the original sales receipt for my PPS dated 11-7-66. The Starret caliper reads 3.365" from the bottom of the grip to the top of the visible sideplate screw. Where does that fit in on the long, intermediate, or short butt scale?

Morgan Astorbilt
12-11-2008, 06:01 PM
The Cobra grips on my Det Spl., measure 2.967" from the top of the sideplate screw, to the front bottom, and the original Det. Spl. grips measure3.400".

Glad I decided to take them off to measure, found a few rust spots that need removing.
Morgan

9.3X62AL
12-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Gianni, a Really Truly Short Gun Side Match at NCBS '09 sounds right fine to me. Perhaps Buckshot The Preposterous can be plied into participating, if he can be pried away from his milsurps with 29" barrels that he prefers.

Pickup date is 12/22 for the little Colt, so grip measurements will have to await the Governator's blessing of the transaction. The grip frame on that old-series PPS was (IIRC) a bit longer and definitely flared more fully at the bottom than the grip frame on The New Toy. Then again, I might just be deranged. This has been hinted at in the past, and I readily admit to compromised objectivity when it comes to classic revolvers.

There won't be any +P loads in this little roller, the only DS examples certified for those are the post-1971 models with the shrouded ejector. Your load of 4.0 x Bullseye and #358429 is at the top end of my scale for an older D-frame Colt or J-frame S&W, and I might back it up to 3.5 grains of WW-231 instead.

onceabull
12-12-2008, 02:58 PM
You gentlemen thinking of allowing up to 3" small frame revolvers ?? A fine member from the "old heart of Nevada" and I tried to fuel up some interest in such a match 2-3 sessions ago,but apparently there were not enough qualifying owners attending then...!! Perhaps those without allowable entry weapon can lease same from willing attendee's !! If clip feeders will be admitted I suspect swmbo will be induced to fire away with her treasured baby browning 25 acp.in which case I'll need to break in the mould. onceabull

Ben
12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
When you get your mits on this one, please post pics, I'd love to see your new " toy ".

Ben

9.3X62AL
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Will do, Ben--with a production assist from Buckshot.

It would truly scare folks to learn how little I know about computers. Thankfully, I rote-train readily.

BruceB
12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Durn it all anyways.

The only 3"-minus artillery hanging around my hacienda is a 2" Smith 642 .38 Special, double-action only (or, is it "single action" with a LOOOONG pull?). I dunno as I'd like to put it up against the sharks with them Dick Specials and such......UNLESS the match was configured for DA-only???

Curmudgeon and I aired the gun out a bit some weeks back, and both of us agreed that at the ten yards (+/-) we were using, we would HATE to be on the receiving end. We fired both some handloads and a few rounds of the Federal 129HP ammo I carry in the revolver, and it was very much "effective".

I've never fired a Colt DS, so I'm anticipating the experience.

9.3X62AL
12-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Short barrels (3" max length)--short range--double action only. They aren't target guns, they're varmint rigs. Kit Gun 22s, 32 J-frames/D-frames, 38 or 357 5-shots are fine. Wadcutters through flamethrowers. 25/32/380 ACP is fine, as long as barrel is at or under 3" from breech face to muzzle. Revolver barrels measured from cylinder face to muzzle.

15 yards on a B-27 target, actual score, 15 rounds, 3 cylinders-full (or magazines for the 25/32 ACP). No speed reloads, but 10 seconds per 5-shot string. Shoot-offs done on bullseye target @ 15 yards, one 5 shot string in 10 seconds.

How does this sound so far?

Bruce, V-spring Colts will spoil you ROTTEN. I think you should try the little roller on ground squirrels first.

MT Gianni
12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
If you are going to exclude my Bulldog I'll have to go with the 2 1/2" 66.

9.3X62AL
12-13-2008, 02:09 PM
What's the Bulldog's barrel length?

A Model 66 x 2.5" is no disadvantage, for darn sure! You pose a conflicted question for those seeking a gamemanship edge--which I'm not. I hate that sort of Rules Committee foofahrah. Just sayin'.

MT Gianni
12-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Al, the Bulldog is 3" I just perceived that you were topping the caliber at 357 instead of going up to the 44-45's. Gianni

9.3X62AL
12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
No floor caliber, no ceiling caliber. See above "Rules Committee" reference for rationale & background.

Gotta keep the R/C in check and distracted, turning those types loose is like playing chess with a tethered wrecking ball.

Sorry for the calibraic confusion. I'm all about expanding participation.

FN in MT
12-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Al, I foresee a "Snubby" category in Winnemucca this year.

You guys have an annual CAST BOOLITS shoot??

Can any one elaborate or do I lack the Security clearance?

FN in MT

BruceB
12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
You guys have an annual CAST BOOLITS shoot??

Can any one elaborate or do I lack the Security clearance?

FN in MT

FN, ol' man;

You sure-as-blazes DO have the Security Clearance!

Go to the "Castpics" link at the bottom of this page, click on "Events", and you'll have the whole megillah laid out for you. (Go to the sib-category, "Past Events". We started this at Topaz Lake NV as a millennial event in 2000, and had so much fun that it became an annual event. It was moved to Winnemucca in 2001. We are located at the junction of I-80 and Highway 95.

Note that there are both photos and commentary on the Castpics reports, and there is extensive additional information in the back postings on the "Competition and Results" forum.

The priorities for the NCBS (Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot), in order of importance are:

1. Safety

2. Fun/Socializing

3. (third by a LONG shot) Competition

To elaborate, this is NOT a competitive event where every "i" is dotted or "t" crossed in order to squeeze out the last fraction of a point. The "rules" are often actually decided-upon the previous evening, in the "Rools Kommittee" discussions over good food and drink. Said Kommittee is composed of ALL ATTENDEES, and all have an equal say in what goes on.

The Shoot spans three days, from the Rools dinner on Friday night through the closing dinner on Sunday. We generally have a barbecue on Saturday after the guns are cased and the sun has set.

We would be glad to have you attend the next one. The date will be announced very soon, and early motel etc. reservations are advised due to lots of other activity in Winnemucca at that time of year (early June, most likely).

Crash_Corrigan
12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I backed into a Llama 380 acp that seems to be a scaled down version of a 1911.45. It handles real well and is a fine shooter with cast. I was cleaning it ine day while half watching the TV and SWMBO latched onto it. "How cute. can I try this one, it fits me really good?"

She has gone through about 2,000 rounds and she finally is becoming a reasonably good shot. She still has a problem pulling the slide back. I showed her how she could never have to do that if she just keeps on feeding mags into it the silly thing will leave the slide latched back for the next mag and all she needs to do is to snick down the slide release on a full mag the the round will recock the weaon. She will give it up only at the range when her delicate little hand gets too tired and then I get a chance to fire it.

The next step is to teach her how to cast her own boolits and reload her own ammo.

FN in MT
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
BruceB,

Sounds like fun. I have done motorcycle tours of NV each Spring for several years now, this looks like a good reason to do another. I'll keep my eyes peeled for information come Spring.

The idea of a snub gun match IS very interesting.

We do a fun match out here that might be of interest; We hang a std sheet of 8.5x11 inch typing paper up at 100 yds and have at it with a pistol, off hand, no rest allowed. Smallest group wins. Takes "sight alignment, trigger control" to a new level compared to 7 yard spray and pray.

FN in MT

9.3X62AL
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM
The next step is to teach her how to cast her own boolits and reload her own ammo.

Right--good luck with that.

I remember those Llamas--they came in 22 LR, 32 ACP, and 380--with larger models in 38 Super and 45 ACP. I always thought a Colt variant of the their 380 Government in 22 would be a cool little critter. Alas, SWMBO would likely appropriate any such device that followed me home, so the lack of a Colt 22 Government was a net "push".

Security clearance??!! No WAY! And what a great ride that would be in late May or early June.

9.3X62AL
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, the Governator once again smiled in my direction--and the DOJ minions blessed the release of the little Colt into my dominion and control. I love Big Brother.

Once again, I am enraptured by the poetry in steel that is a classic Colt revolver. I really should avoid gunshops or gun shows that stock them in depth, because few things on ths earth cause me to get more financially irresponsible in less time than a New Service or Army Special. (Note--red-haired women once had this same ability, but with Marie on board such adventures are ill-advised and potentially VERY counter-productive on several fronts). Maturity dawns in all our lives, sooner or later.

This one is a beauty. I'm heading back toward civilization in a day or so, and I'll try to get Buckshot to snap a few pics and post them on the thread.

waksupi
12-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Al, I am assigning Buckshot to you, and you to Buckshot, to guard each other from making all these firearms purchases. That should solve the problem.

9.3X62AL
12-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh, right--THAT will prevent egregious purchasing, for certain. About as effective as a temperance revival in County Cork, too.

9.3X62AL
12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Here goes with the photos graciously produced and directed by Buckshot.

http://www.fototime.com/4179B07E96FB933/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/62CBDDF1A8C83C1/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F4A86E178C755EE/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/9C9970B61BC5D33/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F5070BED7E83111/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/2BA743196D61C46/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BB342B53199A13F/standard.jpg

BruceB
12-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Dang it.

I sense a serious attack of the green-eyed envies setting in.

Al, that is a BEAUTIFUL piece of artwork. I was particularly impressed with the shot which shows a clear reflection of your hand...that is testimony to some well-executed polishing and bluing!

Where do I sign up for a hands-on opportunity???

part_timer
12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm pretty happy about this, and also happy to know that I'm not the only shooting hobbyist whose spouse purloins his acquisitions and diverts them to their own uses.

I brought home a marlin 62 levermatic in 256 winchester about 4 years ago. The only time I get to do anything with it is when the wife lets me reload the empties for her and the daughter. :???:

MT Gianni
12-24-2008, 01:16 AM
It looks like all you thought it was. I hope that you enjoy it for many years to come but that might change if Marie sees it. That is way to pretty not to be claimed. Gianni

Buckshot
12-24-2008, 01:29 AM
...............Sorry Al, I forgot a couple! Didn't make it onto the CD either.

http://www.fototime.com/8B87D596858D621/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/449A728F7FC8F0A/standard.jpg

This darn shootin' arn is so small I had to use the macro lens to get any definition, HA!. It actually looks even better in person ...................if you like pistols like this.:confused: But anyone can appreciate the workmanship, regardless :-) It's actually quite cute.

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
12-24-2008, 01:35 AM
I just got a chance to view the photos on my mom-in-law's computer. Rick's photo artistry rivals Ichiro Nagata's quality. Seriously!

Bruce, no need for a sign-up--consider it done.

Gianni, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

And, YES--Marie instantly loved the little roller. "It's just BEAUTIFUL, honey!"

Part Timer, I've managed to keep the M-62 x 30 Carbine, but no luck with the Mini-14 or the SIG P-228. We'll see how this acquisition fares.

Rick, thanks a ton, senor!

Potsy
12-24-2008, 02:04 AM
A few years back I offered to buy my Grandad's Detective Special off of him. I needed a carry gun and I knew it was in the attic (ACK!) gathering dust.

He had bought it during the race riots in Detroit (along with some other hardware) and never even shot it (he carried it often back then, but not legally, CCP's didn't grow on tress back then) until years later when I was a teenager we got it out one afternoon.

That was long before I had a clue what to do with a pistol (I say that as though I have a clue now) and left with the impression that a snub was useless if your target was more than arms length away.

In typical Grandad fashion, he just gave me the darn thing. I finally got around to shooting it and realized that even though it's a little low and left, it will put 158 grn Win. lead factory loads into 3" or less at 15 yards all day.

Last spring, we were shooting at a crumpled up metal bucket. I'd say the part we were shooting at was roughly 1'x1', my father-in-law and his brother were both amazed that I could "ping" the bucket about every time at 40 yards. There's a lesson there about a really good sight set-up and a trigger pull (single action) that's as good as my Bowen tuned Bisley.

Mine is the later period model with the frame only running halfway down the grip, in looking at the pics, the checkering, blueing, and engraving on the older models is quite a bit nicer. But I'll never trade mine, even if it couldn't hit a barn, much less a bucket.

NVcurmudgeon
12-24-2008, 02:13 AM
I have the original sales receipt for my PPS dated 11-7-66. The Starret caliper reads 3.365" from the bottom of the grip to the top of the visible sideplate screw. Where does that fit in on the long, intermediate, or short butt scale?

Oops! while getting my PPS ready for its regular Sunday deep cover outing I noticed that the grips are about .650" longer than the frame, so that the true measure from the bottom of the frame to the top of the visible sideplate screw would be 2.715" +/-, so I must have the short butt with longer grips. (I'm not removing the grips without good reason.) Also noticed from Rick's excellent pictures that the checkered cylinder latch of 1933 was no longer being done in 1966, and the checkered trigger had turned into a vertical grooved model on lmy PPS.

waksupi
12-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Pretty cool, Allen. When does the rest of it arrive?

9.3X62AL
12-24-2008, 03:03 AM

Ric, you so funny.

Buckshot
12-24-2008, 03:04 AM

..........HA! Wonder what the Big Al will have to say about THAT!?

..............Buckshot

I guess we know :-) We both must have been reading Ric's post at the same time!

Crash_Corrigan
12-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I bought a Smith Chief Special in 1965 for an off duty gun while in NYCPD. I was making an off duty arrest {very bad Karma} when I was forced to smack a miscreant across the head with the little revolter. It bent the trigger guard inwards enough to prevent the trigger from operating.

Fast forward to a few years later and now armed with a Colt DS {mine did not have that neato checkering on the trigger face} I again save my hand and smack another person alleged to be guilty of ant=social behavior across the kisser and again the revolter was not designed to be a club. The cylinder latch gave way and the crane got bent and there were boolits all over the place.

I finally got a Smith Model 10-5 with the round butt and a 2" bbl. What a great gun! I could for some reason get better groups with this little thing than my S&W Model 10-4 with the heavy barrel in 4". Must have been the balance or ergonomics of it but I loved that gun.

I gave up slapping people with guns as it got too expensive and with promotions to higher ranks I ended up having to deal with cops who were misbehaving rather than criminals

That is a beautiful Colt and I expect that you will cherish and dote on it as much as I did that old Smith. There is nothing nicer than those old Colt bluing jobs.

I have a buddy who is a collector and he in the last few years has sold off most of his weapons to devote himself to Colt Anaconoda's, Diamond Back's and Pythons. Some of those are works of art. He has a Colt 45 revolter that is as smooth as warm butter and shoots to POA with little effort. I have been trying to convince him that since he is concentrating on .357's he should divest himself of that nasty .45 Colt.

So far he has resisted all my efforts, begging, pleading, threats and requests since I put together some handloads with trail boss and our GB LEE 255 GR LRN boolits in recycled brass. It is a very mild and pleasant round to shoot and he loves it. However he does allow me to shoot it whenever we go to the range so I suppose that is good enuf.

MtGun44
12-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Just for my education, is this level of polish and quality of blue
finish normal for that era of Colt DS's??

I was wondering if this was some sort of special polish job from
a custom shop or if they were all done at this high a level.

Nice gun. I have a Cobra which has the same really nice action
feel, but mine is garish but practical nickel.

Bill

9.3X62AL
12-27-2008, 01:15 AM
My old mentor Leo Reyes had several Colts from the 1920's and 1930's, and all showed polish and finish quality like that of the example shown herein. I have a Colt Pocket Positive in 32 SWL x 6" in original nickel, and its finish is of the same standards--just a bit more worn and the left grip is chipped (GROAN!). The Pocket Positive is c.1910, and is a variant of the sidearms that Police Commissioner Theodore Roosevelt chose for issue to NYCPD just prior to the turn of the 19th Century.

ETA--Crash, back when we only approved wheelguns for carry I had a Model 10 x 2" that could be fed with the same loaders as the issued M-64. LIKE A FOOL, I sold it after my agency joined the 20th Century and began approving autopistols. That was a GREAT revolver, and I sorely miss it now. There was a M-10/2" at the same shop at the same time I found the DetSpec, and had the Smith not had a crudely-executed gunhack red insert in its front sight I would have been one conflicted buyer.

NoDakJak
12-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Al I too own a Dick Special that is the spitting image with the exception of the checkered trigger. Mine is chambered for the 32L and it usually goes where I go. I also have a four inch Police Positive, 32L of the same vintage. I replaced the factory grips on the DS with the Pachmyr Compac. As far as I am concerned, the Compac are the best thing ever done to the small frame revolvers. I haven't found one to fit the PP however and it carries the Tyler Grip adapter. Lyman 311008, sized to .314 and backed with 2.8 grains of ZIP works great in both these revolvers. If the situatation permits I may get to make it to Wimmemuca this year and will certainly bring it if I do. Neil

Morgan Astorbilt
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
That's a really good looking gun. Couldn't help but notice the changes between our two issues. The exposed pin next to the crane screw, which mine doesn't have, and the much shorter ejector rod, mine comes within 1/8" of the muzzle. I really like the checkered hammer and trigger, mine are just grooved. Probably a cost cutting measure.
Morgan

9.3X62AL
12-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Jak--I'm another fan of the Pachmayr Compact grips for the bitty guns, and yesterday's range day with the little Colt proved their value through their absence. Firing #358429 with a moderate load of 4.0 grains of 231, that little roller did jump around some! I have a set of Pachs inbound from a member here, so maybe that issue is enroute to resolution. FWIW, that load put the rounds right on top of the sights at 35 yards.

Morgan--one of the big selling points for the DetSpecs over the J-frame Smiths in the 1970s was the more complete ejection stroke the Colt's rod enabled in absence of the Smith's front lug and the resulting longer ejector rod protrusion. I always trained my guys and gals to give that rod a vigorous push with any snubgun, and the Colt's mechanical advantage over the J-Smith is pretty telling.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Al, That was exactly what I was thinking. My ejector rod has an .877" stroke, yours must be about as short as a Chief's Spl. Another thing I made known to my point shooting classes, was that a single granule of unburned powder under the ejector, will bind the cylinder, putting the gun out of business in a combat situation. Something to think about with slow burning powder, in a short barrel.
Morgan

9.3X62AL
12-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Morgan--

The Colt's ejection stroke is .525", and I don't have a Chief Special handy to compare it to. In 60 rounds fired yesterday, I had no issues with hang-ups.

The Pachs arrived last night, a set of "Presentation" style for post-1971 D-frame Colts. Not an exact fit per se, but they adapt perfectly to the grip frame without alteration and do a great job of filling in the gap behind the trigger guard that played hob with control under recoil yesterday. HKS speedloaders are easily usable with the Pachs in place. Yes, I have a pair of them. :) They are still being made.

FWIW, in my ruminations and research on Colt D-frame grip contours, there seem to be three "period" references, as follows--

Pre-1940.......specific to the Detective Special, there is a "very early" sub-group and the rest are listed as "early". There is another Police Positive/Special variation in this period called a "wide flare", of which I once had an example (Special) in 32-20 WCF. This required relief of a small portion of the front Neoprene covering on a Pachmayr Presentation grip set of the post-71 genre to allow the front grip flare to peek out just a taste. A buddy of mine at work now has this example, and he enjoys it immensely.

1940-1971........known generally as the "long grip" variation.

1971-forward.........known as the "short grip" variation, and these examples have a shrouded ejector rod and are certified as "+P capable". Pachmayr makes both Presentation and Compac grip variants to fit this pattern, and seem adaptable to my particular example without fuss and bother.

More info than most folks probably needed, but there it is there.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Strange, I bought mine new, probably in '66, not long after graduating from the Police Acadamy, and the grip is the then "new", short frame with the "wrap under" wood. Just checked my Blue Book, but no serialization info on these. It may have been "old stock", but I don't think so. The ser.#9659xx if anyone has info on date of mfg. I'd appreciate it.
Morgan

Bret4207
12-31-2008, 09:05 PM
One habit I still carry with me from endless drill at the Academy is that downward thrust while pushing HARD in the ejector in a DA wheelgun. Do it vigorously and the brass will come flying out at your feet. This is done with the left hand with the middle and ring finger through the cylinder window holding the cylinder. Not sure that is the way everyone else did it, but it worked for the NYSP for 75+ years. Only time it doesn't work is with really hot loads that stick or filthy brass in a filthy gun.

9.3X62AL
01-01-2009, 11:21 PM
That's how we train the move and do the act out here on the Left Coast, too. Us Old Fossils who learned pistolcraft with rollers instead of sliders retain that sort of training pretty readily. Stuttergun practicum seems to be a lot more perishable for some reason.

runfiverun
01-02-2009, 02:48 AM
i always hold the cylinder with my thumb and middle finger of my left hand and eject with the right usually with the loader in it.
bbl up empty, bbl down fill.
always wondered why cylinders swivel to the wrong side for righty's.??

Bret4207
01-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I forgot to add that while the left hand is dumping the brass the right hand is stripping rounds from the loop loaders two at a time! Ah for the good old days...

45 2.1
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
always wondered why cylinders swivel to the wrong side for righty's.??

Because Col. Colt was left handed.............................. Most designs favor lefties except for the safety. The 1911 is faster to operature for the leftie except for the safety.

NVcurmudgeon
01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Because Col. Colt was left handed..............................

He sure was, and so was Bill Ruger. So why didn't all the left hand influence result in fixed-sight revolvers shooting center for us poor, downtrodden, southpaws? Adding to the mystery is that Colt died in 1862, before swing-out revolver cylinders.

45 2.1
01-02-2009, 04:03 PM
He sure was, and so was Bill Ruger. So why didn't all the left hand influence result in fixed-sight revolvers shooting center for us poor, downtrodden, southpaws? Adding to the mystery is that Colt died in 1862, before swing-out revolver cylinders.

I recommend you study just how things get improved. Drawing cartridge cases is a good one to start with as its evolution is pretty straight forward. Most fixed sighted revolvers do shoot near center for me or slightly right, and i'm left handed also. They shoot to the other side of center or slightly left for the right handed people. The piece recoils away from the hand holding it unless you hold it to compensate for that.

9.3X62AL
01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
The Leftistos have arrived.

Colt D/A revos do everything "backwards"--cylinder rotation, rifling pitch, and all the other Colt-inspired contrariness listed above. The cylinder rotation bit was touted by Colt as an advantage over the S&W and Ruger designs--when fired, the subtle rotational tensioning of the cylinder by the advancing hand vis-a-vis the bolt and locking notch "pulled" the cylinder and crane into the revolver's frame--allegedly enhancing alignment and strength, while the S&W/Ruger rotation had a supposed opposite effect. Yet another of the many shots fired commercially between Hartford, Springfield, and Southport during the time of 8-track tape decks and leaded gasoline.

Now, we have dishwasher-safe felon repellers that can fire for much of an afternoon with only one magazine change. The only thing left to argue about is 9mm Sub-Effective vs. 40 Short & Weak vs. 45 Another Cancelled Perp. Lots better, now. Right..........

Bret4207
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Oh Al! You kill joy you.