PDA

View Full Version : RotoMetals

markmars
10-23-2020, 11:18 AM
I ordered 45 pounds of Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy ingot- 5 pounds (2%-Tin,6%-Antimony,and 92%-Lead) from RotoMetals.
Most of the wheel weights I've gotten recently have been mostly zinc and steel. Should be the same as most lead wheel weights.

Any experience with this alloy from RotoMetals?

dverna
10-23-2020, 11:36 AM
It is the same alloy that most, if not all, commercial casters use.

RotoMetals is OK for small quantities. I ordered mine from Mayco about 8-10 years ago. Paid about $1.70/lb IIRC for a ton.

I do not hunt...might be too hard for that. Great alloy for my needs.

dannyd
10-23-2020, 01:01 PM
They have always done me good

kevin c
10-24-2020, 01:50 AM
Reliable source of certified alloys, but while buying in quantity gets you discounts and free shipping, your wallet will definitely be lighter after a foray onto their website.

markmars
10-24-2020, 06:33 AM
Reliable source of certified alloys, but while buying in quantity gets you discounts and free shipping, your wallet will definitely be lighter after a foray onto their website.

I've actually been a member on this website for years. I've had most of my equipment to cast for years also. I ran out of my wheel weights I'd stocked up on 10 years ago. So I started getting back on the forum again. Yes this going to cost me. LOL

dtknowles
10-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Rotometals is good and I have bought from them but I would rather give my business to members here and I think I get a better deal. I have bought ISO Cores and Type metal here for better prices than Rotometals and I mix the Type metal with $0.60 a pound almost pure lead I get from the scrap yard.

Hard Ball has more tin and antimony than wheel weights, that is good. You could cut it 50/50 with pure and still be better than wheel weights.

If I mix my foundry type 1 to 5 with pure I get something very similar to Hard Ball and if I mix it 50 50 with pure I get something close to linotype.

Except for the trouble of cutting up the scrap lead and casting it into ingots it is almost as convenient as buying prepared alloys from Rotometals. I am going to the scrap yard anyway to sell other scrap so picking up lead is no added trouble and sometimes you find something special. I got a bunch of fishing weights for $0.60 a pound. Sometimes they have wheel weights but they are still mixed with Zinc and Iron and crap.

Tim