PDA

View Full Version : Problem In M94 44 mag Returns

Bigscot
12-08-2008, 10:26 PM
The weekend after Winchester announced that it was closing I bought a new M94 AE in 44 mag. That next Thanksgiving a problem developed where the bolt would not fully open and the hammer would not cock. Taking the butt stock off, I found the hammer spring guide rod had slid of the hammer. I could move it back on the hammer and it would work for a time or two.
I ended up putting in the shop for warranty repair back home where I grew up 100 miles away. (The closest and now only authorized repair center in N.C.) Two months later I picked it up from the SOB after waiting 3 weeks for him to ship it back after being notified it was ready.
Anyway, the problem came back this weekend only this time I could not get it to work. I am not going to take it back to the sob.

Has anyone run across this problem? Does anyone have a permanent fix? Does anyone know of someone who could fix the problem.
I love this rifle and want deer hunt with it and it frustrates me that this problem has reappeared.

Thanks for any info.

Bigscot

NHlever
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
For one reason, or another it sounds like the strut isn't long enough to stay engaged with the hammer when the gun is fired. I haven't had that problem with mine, and I haven't had it apart in a while (years), but it might be possible to put a small washer, or other spacer between the firing pin spring, and the shoulder that it bears against on the strut. That might keep the strut far enough forward to stay engaged.. You might also see if Gun Parts has a replacement strut. Yes, looks like they call it a "hammer spring guide rod"
http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0950z94%20POST%2064%20 ANGLE%20EJECT%20RANGER&MC=

Good luck with your rifle! I do like mine, and have had it out hunting this year.