PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lee Classic Turret Press?

VariableRecall
10-22-2020, 01:43 AM
I'm very much satisfied with my Lee Hand Press. However, I'm looking into the future next couple of years where I may have the opportunity to to mount a press to something solid. Most likely, using one of those free standing Lee Press mounts. Considering the lower volume of cartridges I expect to use on a monthly basis, (hopefully 60-150 rounds a month), Something along the lines of the Lee Classic press looks like the best upgrade to me. I'm not interested in the sheer volume capability of a progressive press, just an upgrade over my current Hand Press.

I understand that it's not a full fledged progressive press, it's just a Single stage press with the capability to rotate the dies that rest on top of the system. I see it as a step forward in convenience and ease of use.

I was wondering, can you repeat a step of the Classic Turret press by not pushing the lever completely down, and bringing the lever upward again?

Also, I'm planning on priming cases that I intend to use in the press using my Lee Ergo-Prime tool, instead of the priming system that comes standard with the press itself.

Is anyone here willing to talk about their experiences of the Lee Classic Turret Press? It's OK if you recommend a Dillon or something fancy like that but I'm mainly interested in knowing what other people think of the thing.

monkey wrangler
10-22-2020, 04:07 AM
I don't have any experience with the LEE turret press. But I would suggest mounting it to a rolling toolbox that could hold the rest of your reloading supplies. Instead of spending money on a stand that will just hold a press. Not maybe as sturdy as a good bench but as steady as a tripod setup and more handy. Here is a video of something close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_eW3viPk4

tazman
10-22-2020, 05:02 AM
I have been using the Lee Classic Cast turret press for years. It is easy to use and reliable. It can be used in "semi progressive" mode or in single stage mode by removing the indexing rod.
I use mine for handgun and rifle cartridges. I currently load rifle cartridges in 223, 243, 308, and 30-06. I have loaded 458 Win Mag on it as well.
It is about 50% faster than a single stage press.

To answer your question about doing the same operation twice, you would have to manually index the turret in order to redo an operation assuming you are using full strokes of the handle. It is possible to short stroke the handle, but then bad things can happen.

Speaking to the accuracy you can get out of the press, I have four rifles that shoot under 1.5 inches at 200 yards using ammunition loaded on this press. Two of them will do under 1 inch on a calm day.

VariableRecall
10-22-2020, 05:03 AM
I don't have any experience with the LEE turret press. But I would suggest mounting it to a rolling toolbox that could hold the rest of your reloading supplies. Instead of spending money on a stand that will just hold a press. Not maybe as sturdy as a good bench but as steady as a tripod setup and more handy. Here is a video of something close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL_eW3viPk4

That's certainly a good idea, but I'm afraid my old man's not going to like me drilling into his lovely new moving toolbox. that, and I'm looking into the future (five or six years from now) where I can finally have some garage space of my own. Those mounting thingies from Inline Fabrication looks like a good option as well. It would make for a somewhat funny looking desktop setup for a press, but, it would be a lot more portable than Lee's stock press mountings.

Rcmaveric
10-22-2020, 05:08 AM
I love the Classic Turret Press. And I love me Lee Stand. You can easily make a top for the press stand.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

VariableRecall
10-22-2020, 05:09 AM
I have been using the Lee Classic Cast turret press for years. It is easy to use and reliable. It can be used in "semi progressive" mode or in single stage mode by removing the indexing rod.

To answer your question about doing the same operation twice, you would have to manually index the turret in order to redo an operation assuming you are using full strokes of the handle. It is possible to short stroke the handle, but then bad things can happen.

Thank you very much for the info! I was just thinking of a scenario where I would be repeating a step. For example, let's say I've got a lot of brass that I've expanded and sized, but, i just need to prime, seat, and crimp to finish the bullet.

In this situation, just sticking with the "Single Stage" shaft would be the smartest move? I'd assume whatever bad things that can happen by short stroking the machine would not be worth the effort.

Boolseye
10-22-2020, 06:03 AM
Thank you very much for the info! I was just thinking of a scenario where I would be repeating a step. For example, let's say I've got a lot of brass that I've expanded and sized, but, i just need to prime, seat, and crimp to finish the bullet.

In this situation, just sticking with the "Single Stage" shaft would be the smartest move? I'd assume whatever bad things that can happen by short stroking the machine would not be worth the effort.

The Classic Turret is a wonderful press, and will do what you are referring to. It’s a simple matter to manually repeat a step on a single stage, even with the indexing rod engaged. If you wish to use it as a single stage press the indexing rod is easily removed. It’s a very versatile and forgiving design that allows for lots of tinkering, be it with your dies or with your loading sequences. The priming feature is sort of an acquired taste, but I don’t mind it. For someone who likes to mix-and-match ordering, caliber and loads, I’m not sure it can be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
10-22-2020, 06:46 AM
It's very convenient to have extra 4 hole turrets holding the dies for the calibers and loads you like. They cost on average about $12. I paired mine with Lee's Auto Disk powder measure and riser and it has been working well. Lee's 4 die carbide die sets that come with a powder through expander die and seperate seating and crimp dies are a good match with the press. Right now many things are out of stock so you may have some difficulty getting everything you need.

Cargo
10-22-2020, 08:03 AM
I've been using the hand press since March, except for initial caliber start up I don't load a huge amount at one time so this seems like a great compromise in cost and productivity. Lee states 50% faster than the hand loader and with the ability to swap the turret to change calibers it just seems like all win.

Currently Midway-USA shows the press and spare turrets in stock.

Ole Joe Clarke
10-22-2020, 08:06 AM
I use the classic turret for pistol shells, mostly 9mm. I have loaded several thousand of them and it works as advertised. I did get the indexing kit and auto shell dump after loading. All the errors I had were operator error, I load my rifle shells on a Pacific single stage, just a matter of preference.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

gnappi
10-22-2020, 09:53 AM
I started out many years ago with the turret press (ultimately wrong thinking) my volume would be low, and for that purpose it's an excellent press, FAR above any single stage press (IMO) like a rockchucker.

CRracer712
10-22-2020, 01:19 PM
I started on the Lee hand press, then move to the Lee challenger (old style, not breech lock)to do 243 and 30-06. Got in reloading 9 and 40, decided to get the classic turret. Love that press! I have several turrets setup with all my various dies so I simply swap out the turret and go. I'm currently working towards having a lee powder measure on each turret so I don't have to adjust powder setting when switching calibers.

I got my oldest boy in to reloading last year with a challenger breech lock and that Lee press stand. He loves it, can go in his closet when not needed. It's a lot sturdier than I figured it would be. I also like that it has extra storage for a couple other presses. I'm thinking he may get an APP for Christmas this year.

454PB
10-22-2020, 01:50 PM
I have the Lee Classic Turret press, along with two of the older three hole turret presses. I feel it is the perfect answer for someone that loads smaller amounts of ammo. Personally, I load thousands of rounds per year, and only use any of my presses as single stage tools. I'm never in a hurry, so a progressive has no appeal for me.

I should also mention that I have an RCBS Rockchucker mounted along side the Lee, but it's now only used for specialty projects. The older Lee turret presses are mounted on 3/8" steel plates that I "C" clamp to the bench top when needed.

VariableRecall
10-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Glad to see some experiences with the Lee Classic Turret Press! It will probably be a good couple of years before I get one, but I'm glad to know that people think highly of it.

I've seen the Lee Classic's priming system in action on video, and it's a little funky looking to actuate. Have any of you had issues with it? Most likely, I'm going to just be using my Ergo prime but it's good to know more about it as an option.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-22-2020, 03:05 PM
I have 2 Lee Classic Turret presses. One is the 4 place turret and another I converted to use my older 3 position turrets. I really don't use the 'turret' feature. The die holders are used to mount my dies similar to the 'breech lock' die holders. I do almost all my reloading on these two presses. I have two Lee Pro 1000's and a Lee Loadmaster for high production reloading. I have an older red Pacific press similar to the RCBS Rockchucker but it gathers a lot of dust. The Lee Turret used as a single stage is where I do most of my reloading. Dies are set-up once for a caliber then I just changing the turret for my different calibers.

Rightbrained
10-22-2020, 06:42 PM
I’m another user of the Lee classic cast turret press . Mine has been going sting for years.
And as mentioned previously, just remove the indexing rod and you can use it in single stage mode.

CRracer712
10-22-2020, 06:53 PM
I've seen the Lee Classic's priming system in action on video, and it's a little funky looking to actuate. Have any of you had issues with it? Most likely, I'm going to just be using my Ergo prime but it's good to know more about it as an option.

I haven't had issues with the primer. It was a bit different to get used to initially, but once I used it awhile, it was second nature. Never had any issues.

markmars
10-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Use mine all the time. Primarily for decapping, but also for calibers I don't reload a lot of.

WebMonkey
10-23-2020, 11:36 AM
repeating a 'stage' or 'die'.

YES, i do it every time i setup for a run of whatever cartridge.

HOW/WHY?

i like to get the expanding/charging die with the attached autodisk measure 'settled'.

so i put a case in the shellholder with the turret ready to utilize the charging die.
pull the lever and go back down WITHOUT levering all the way, then pull the lever again.

drop a triple charge, remove the case, dump in back in the measure.
repeat a couple times to get the measure settled.
(drop a single charge and weigh, then off to the races)

so yes, you can repeat a stage with the auto indexing rod in place by simply not returning the lever to the full upright tray table position.

good luck!

VariableRecall
10-23-2020, 03:33 PM
repeating a 'stage' or 'die'.

YES, i do it every time i setup for a run of whatever cartridge.

HOW/WHY?

i like to get the expanding/charging die with the attached autodisk measure 'settled'.

so i put a case in the shellholder with the turret ready to utilize the charging die.
pull the lever and go back down WITHOUT levering all the way, then pull the lever again.

drop a triple charge, remove the case, dump in back in the measure.
repeat a couple times to get the measure settled.
(drop a single charge and weigh, then off to the races)

so yes, you can repeat a stage with the auto indexing rod in place by simply not returning the lever to the full upright tray table position.

good luck!

Thank you for the info! I'll certainly be looking to pick one up in the future. definitely not one right now, but I'll keep my eyes open.

skrapyard628
10-23-2020, 04:03 PM
The priming system on the Classic Turret (newer 4 hole version) can be a little finicky. The slider portion of the primer dispenser would sometimes jam up on me a bit, and occasionally it would fling a primer out onto the floor.

Its not terrible, but definitely not perfect. Now I just use a hand primer instead. I use the press as a single stage with the indexing rod removed. First clean my brass. Next deprime, size, and flare/bell. Then I hang out while watching a movie or something and hand prime all my brass.

I just prefer to have all my brass processed and ready to load with whatever powder and bullet I want at any time.

VariableRecall
10-23-2020, 05:35 PM
The priming system on the Classic Turret (newer 4 hole version) can be a little finicky. The slider portion of the primer dispenser would sometimes jam up on me a bit, and occasionally it would fling a primer out onto the floor.

Its not terrible, but definitely not perfect. Now I just use a hand primer instead. I use the press as a single stage with the indexing rod removed. First clean my brass. Next deprime, size, and flare/bell. Then I hang out while watching a movie or something and hand prime all my brass.

I just prefer to have all my brass processed and ready to load with whatever powder and bullet I want at any time.

That's my plan as well. I'm doing just fine with a hand press right now but it's good to know that the Classic is a fine contender to hunt down at a discount.

Rcmaveric
10-23-2020, 05:51 PM
For the turret press priming system. You have to shim it so it aligned with ram primer arm. Havent had any problems since I put a washer on it.

VariableRecall
10-23-2020, 06:07 PM
For the turret press priming system. You have to shim it so it aligned with ram primer arm. Havent had any problems since I put a washer on it.

What exactly did you do? if you have photos, that would help if it was something complicated.

BigAlofPa.
10-23-2020, 08:29 PM
I'll add in lol. I love my Lee turret too. I put the primers on the arm cup manually. Now that i added the autodrum measure i love even more. Made a difference in production time. And i don't forget to activate the lever like i did with perfect powder sometimes.

onelight
10-24-2020, 09:28 PM
I am another fan of the classic turret it s a great tool . The latest version of the primer feed is the best of the ones they have had. The sizing die is the stop for the elevation of the ram and proper adjustment of the sizing die is key to feeding primers smoothly.
You will find that with the ram at just the right elevation you can manually index the turret or you can just pull the rod out if you want to only manually index. Just don't force it to index manually with the rod in if you feel resistance.
For what I load if I only had one press it wood be the classic turret.

str8wal
10-24-2020, 10:57 PM
I love the Lee turret, but I don't use it as designed. I use it essentially as a single stage press. What I appreciate is quick change-overs as I keep my die sets in turrets and all I need to is pop them in and change the shell holder and primer arm.

Targa
10-25-2020, 06:38 PM
Mark me down as a very happy Lee Classic Turret owner.

Petrol & Powder
10-25-2020, 09:29 PM
The Lee turret press is sort of in between a single stage and a progressive.
If your loading volume isn't that great AND your only loading one type of cartridge, a single stage may be a little better fit. One of the strengths of a turret press is the ability to keep all of the dies installed and adjusted on the turret. As others have pointed out, the indexing feature of the Lee Turret press can be disabled, making it a single stage with the benefit of a turret.
With the advent of quick change die locks, some of the advantages of a turret press are mitigated. So that's also an option.

VariableRecall
10-26-2020, 02:04 AM
The Lee turret press is sort of in between a single stage and a progressive.
If your loading volume isn't that great AND your only loading one type of cartridge, a single stage may be a little better fit. One of the strengths of a turret press is the ability to keep all of the dies installed and adjusted on the turret. As others have pointed out, the indexing feature of the Lee Turret press can be disabled, making it a single stage with the benefit of a turret.
With the advent of quick change die locks, some of the advantages of a turret press are mitigated. So that's also an option.

I plan on getting one or more other calibers in the future. That, and I enjoy the option of having a semi-progressive press with the option to go single stage if I would like to. This would likely be my first full size press outside of of my little handy Hand Press. Rather have the option.

Bookworm
10-26-2020, 08:06 AM
I've been using a Lee Classic Cast turret for about 4 years now. All in all, I like it very much.

The primer system has been mentioned. It can be a bit fiddly.

When I first used the press, I had problems with the primers system spitting out a primer occasionally, maybe 2 every hundred.
Once I read the instructions (yes, I know, ****!!) and adjusted the Safety Prime in the manner suggested, I have had no more problems.

I think the LCT is well worth the money, and is aimed at those loading a few hundred at a time.

tazman
10-26-2020, 10:54 AM

I use the on press priming system for all my loads. The arthritis in my hands doesn't like any of the hand priming tools.
They can be a little finicky to get lined up at the start. When set up, they work well. If you are dropping primers onto the floor, you don't have it lined up correctly.
The return springs in the part that puts the primer in the priming arm will weaken after time and need replaced. Lee sells these parts for a pittance.
The new coil spring design is much better than the old spring design. They last longer and will work in the older system.

LouB
10-29-2020, 10:55 PM
I normally use my rock chucker for most of my loading. Tried a Hornady Projecctor, but found it having "issues", including priming. So I only now use it for 2 stations at a time, sizing (skip priming) and belling, (bell with an rcbs benchtop priming tool), then seating and separately crimping.

This discussion has peaked my interest toward a Lee Classic turret tool (Been eyeing them up for a long time)

Thanks for the responses. It will now get much closer scrutiny.
LouB