PDA

View Full Version : Are you a shooter?

dverna
10-21-2020, 11:42 PM
A recent post by Lloyd Small resonated with me.

I see people making recommendations and wonder, “This person must not shoot much”.

So, how many rounds of centerfire ammunition do you estimate you have reloaded in the last five years.

I am down since ceasing competitive shooting, about 35,000 rounds in the last 5 years.

Omega
10-21-2020, 11:56 PM
I'll admit, not much of a reloader, though I thought it said 1 year not 5. But, I've gone though a mess load of factory ammo, specifically 5.56 and 7.62. And I've helped a few coworkers setup their reloading equipment as well as help them with load development. Looking at my stash, I'd say the middle option was more appropriate.

Edit, I don't keep count, but this was from one of my reloading sessions:

Papercidal
10-22-2020, 12:12 AM
In the last 5 years I’ve transitioned away from loading and shooting 4-5 calibers and shooting about 300 a week to almost exclusively loading 9mm for USPSA and shooting about 400 a week in practice and about 400 a month in competition.

Winger Ed.
10-22-2020, 12:12 AM
I don't shoot as much as I used to, but I'm still averaging about 1,000-1,500 a year,
mostly cast in .45ACP for the last 3-4 years.

I'll probably shoot a little more this year after loading up a bunch of 5.56 for the new (to me) Colt rat gun,
and buying back my old S&W Model 52.

Wheelguns 1961
10-22-2020, 12:24 AM
I usually shoot between 1,000-1,500 rounds a month. Everything from 32 H&R to 480 ruger. This time of year I will be practicing with my hunting revolvers every week. You can’t use rifle crtridges in my state for hunting, only straight wall revolver cartridges. I much prefer handguns for hunting although I have some lever guns that are legal.

Kevin Rohrer
10-22-2020, 07:11 AM
My shooting has changed over the years. Moved from pistol-rifle to rifle and now pistol-only--for now.

Ickisrulz
10-22-2020, 07:32 AM
I shoot about 5K rounds of reloads per year (in my back yard). The majority are cast bullets in handguns and rifles.

frkelly74
10-22-2020, 07:36 AM
I have never been able to shoot enough in my opinion. I have ammo that I loaded up 10/15 years ago and may never shoot it all up. Sad, sad , sad.

sharps4590
10-22-2020, 07:51 AM
As with others I don't shoot as much as I used to. Time was my son and I fit in that 10K to 25K PER YEAR category. However, every round I shoot these days is done so with probably 5 times the concentration as in years past. Interests have changed and forming/turning/fire forming brass for obsolete and obscure cartridges takes a while. Consequently I don't have...or need...500 cases for my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod or 9 X 71 Peterlongo or 10.5 X 47R or any of a dozen or more others. I've also learned a LOT more about handloading, ballistics and cartridge/bullet combinations on game than I ever did just cranking out 45 Colt or 32-20 cartridges by the hundreds. It's been every bit as much fun, more fun actually....and a lot more educational.

dverna
10-22-2020, 07:56 AM
BTW, I did not make this a public poll as I understand some folks are reluctant to broadcast how much they shoot...means they likely "hoard" stuff...LOL

I shared my number but it is certainly not necessary to do so. I used to reload 15-20k a year but those days are gone. Used to buy cast bullets as I had no time to both cast and shoot.

I wish I could have found someone to partner with back then. I know some people love to cast and we could have worked out a barter. At the time, I had two 1050's so I could load ammunition faster than most people can cast.

GhostHawk
10-22-2020, 08:07 AM
I have been slipping as I age. 5 years ago I worked hard at shooting every week. 50 to 100 rounds for 2-4 guns.
Call it around 15,000 per year. The last year I don't think I've shot a thousand. Its like I've done everything I needed to do and I am just coasting, waiting for what will come.

Load development is all done,
Muscle memory is as good as it is going to get at 68.

I have been stocking .22mag as it is still possible to find and the prices while up are not stupid high like most handgun ammo.

90$ for a box of 50 FMJ 9mm ammo. But they were one of the few retailers that had some online.

EDG
10-22-2020, 08:32 AM
I notice that some comments are made by people that only load handguns- (only as few calibers in large quantities) yet they know little about the large numbers of center fire rifle cartridges that many of us reload.

Wayne Smith
10-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Haven't shot at all in the past year. Both because of the increased cost at the range and because I'm having cataracts removed next month. I expect in December I'll be shooting again.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-22-2020, 08:50 AM
If it was the late 90's I could have reported loading 10K a year.

Froogal
10-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Somewhere between 10,000 and 25,000. I have saved all of the empty primer boxes. Don't really know why, but I have.

ShooterAZ
10-22-2020, 09:28 AM
I'm down this year for sure, in a "normal year" I'd be over 10K but less than 25K.

Minerat
10-22-2020, 10:33 AM
I usually reload around 300 rifle calibers 7mm or larger a year and a 800 little ones 223, .22-250 and .17 HH and another 3000 various pistol calibers. This year our ranges have been closed due to Type 2 fire restrictions since 7/10/20 so my stockpiles have grown.:) But my shooting is in the toilet!

gnappi
10-22-2020, 10:53 AM
I cast and load a LOT. Historically a typical day at the range has been 200+/- rounds once or sometimes twice a week. That's up from earlier this year when bullets became scarce and pricey and I started powder casting them. Now that I have no worries about bullets I'm back in the groove so to speak. A friend in a gun store can get me all the primers and powder I need when I get depleted of those components.

Right not my biggest problem (if you can call it that) is I have Waaayyy more .38/.357, and .223 than I'll use in a long time and they're in my way :-)

375supermag
10-22-2020, 10:54 AM
Hi...
I don't cast so I buy my cast bullets from a local supplier.
I usually make a trip over there twice a month.
Generally about a thousand each month of .357, .41, .44 and .45 cast LSWC for the revolvers. Add to that about a thousand each of 9, 10 and .45 cast bullets for the semi auto pistols.
That doesn't include the jacketed bullets that usually run about 100 each in the common rifle calibers... .223,.243, .25, 7mm, and .30 calibers. Plus whatever jacketed bullets I use for revolver loads...usually several hundred in each caliber per month.

This doesn't include the bulk buys my son makes online of plated bullets for the semi auto pistols or the bulk loaded ammuntion he buys in .7.62x39 and .223/5.56.
Nor does it include the shot shells we buy for shooting clay birds or shot shells for hunting.
Or the shotgun slugs or buckshot loads. We don't load shotgun shells.

Yeah...we shoot a lot.

country gent
10-22-2020, 11:14 AM
When I was shooting in NRA High power it was a lot of ammo mostly 223 308 and 243. I did some wildcatting over the years. Before High power rifle it was Bowling pins and ispc with pistols. Last was BPCR silhouette. Since the MS and I stopped driving its slowed down a lot. I still cast and reload as needed. I have rifles and handguns that have never seen a factory loaded round. for a few years I was going thru 30-40 lbs of BP a year, but there arnt as many 45-90 in a lb as there are .308s. LOL

Blindshooter
10-22-2020, 06:04 PM
When I was shooting in NRA High power it was a lot of ammo mostly 223 308 and 243. I did some wildcatting over the years. Before High power rifle it was Bowling pins and ispc with pistols. Last was BPCR silhouette. Since the MS and I stopped driving its slowed down a lot. I still cast and reload as needed. I have rifles and handguns that have never seen a factory loaded round. for a few years I was going thru 30-40 lbs of BP a year, but there arnt as many 45-90 in a lb as there are .308s. LOL

I miss HPR, some of the happiest years of my life, met the most interesting people shooting rifle matches.
Remember buying new barrels every year for ATC guns. They all may not have been shot out but they rarely made it two years so it was just easier to rebarrel during the cold months. I guess between 8 and 10K? LR was maybe half that.Used to buy about that many bullets at Camp Perry most years to save on shipping.
Now I mostly load and shoot pistol rds, 2 or 3 hundred a week if the weather is decent. Still mess with precision rifle but maybe only 4 or 5 hundred rds a year.
My nephew comes over and loads .223 with his own components. He is waiting for me to die and get my loading equipment......hope he waits a long time.

El Greco
10-22-2020, 08:07 PM
I cast reload and shoot between 5-10K a year. I have plenty of components but I’m forced to conserve. God knows when more components will be available.

RC46
10-23-2020, 12:21 AM
Yep, shoot every week. Quality not quantity. At least 2 rifles and 2 handguns accompany me to the range. Tight groups rule.

GregLaROCHE
10-23-2020, 02:10 AM
My center fire shooting has slowed down since I started muzzle loading.

kevin c
10-23-2020, 05:29 AM
10000 rounds a year is low for me, especially as I have more time since retiring. A few physical issues have limited not only casting and reloading but shooting centerfire, so it's mostly been 22LR drills to refine accuracy and technique in the past year or so. I'm just getting back to the centerfire pistol as I rehab. Hopefully I'll get back to reloading and shooting mostly 9mm. I sort of have to: I have a lot of 22LR but the supply is not endless.

Of course the centerfire components bottleneck will slow down reloading for some.

robg
10-23-2020, 07:54 AM
i probably shoot the same in rimfire .

Idz
10-23-2020, 10:55 AM
2015-2020 sum from my spreadsheet = 4431

Hick
10-23-2020, 10:04 PM
As it happens, I started a database in March 2015 to track all my reloading and shooting. So-- I know exactly how many rounds I have shot since then: 70,055. 20,000 of those in handguns, the rest in rifles.

Elroy
10-24-2020, 10:30 AM
I load for all my center fire rifles,and am well stocked with components,but I get bored with rifles once I have had them awhile,and have proven loads worked up for them. I do the most shooting with guns that are new to me,or when I switch glass.

Drm50
10-24-2020, 11:02 AM
I’m down for about 5K average the last 3 yrs. Before that about 20k. I’m a hunter, shooter and reloaded. I notice a lot of opinions on killing power and such coming from guys who probably never have hunted. I’m shooting revolvers with cast boolits, mostly WCs. That’s not counting 22s. I’m going to increase that and cut into my horde. Had been shooting 25/20 & 32/20 instead during last panic.

toallmy
10-25-2020, 03:34 AM
I probably shoot 5k a year easily between the 9s - 38s & 45acp + a couple thousand or more center fire rifle rounds a year . I shoot a lot more now after finding this sight and casting my own .
Thanks guys

Kosh75287
10-25-2020, 09:44 PM
...yet they know little about the large numbers of center fire rifle cartridges that many of us reload.
Oh, MY, was I supposed to include THOSE? Dear me, I need to "re-VOTE"!

Rapidrob
10-28-2020, 02:56 PM
I have a shop on my property dedicated to reloading. I reload for 65 calibers.I've been reloading in earnest since 1964.
I run a shooting club and we shoot rifles or handguns every Saturday of the month all year long.

David2011
10-28-2020, 11:15 PM
A few years ago I was shooting over 25K/year. My move last year took it to zero. The new shop will be finished by the weekend and I can start moving equipment and tools in, including all of my reloading gear.

lightman
10-30-2020, 12:05 PM
I'm down from 25,000-50,000 in earlier years to probably 10,000 in recent years.

white eagle
10-30-2020, 12:22 PM
I am a shooter and I handload a whole lot of ammo
but as far as mass volumes of ammo shot NO I am not a shooter by those standards
I do sit and shoot 50-100 rounds of 44 cal ammo at a sitting at times but not daily
Most rifle ammo is shot till I find a good load for that specific rifle and bullet combo
then a box is made for later hunting

dverna
10-30-2020, 04:00 PM
I am a shooter and I handload a whole lot of ammo
but as far as mass volumes of ammo shot NO I am not a shooter by those standards
I do sit and shoot 50-100 rounds of 44 cal ammo at a sitting at times but not daily
Most rifle ammo is shot till I find a good load for that specific rifle and bullet combo
then a box is made for later hunting

One of the reasons for the poll was to get a feeling for the definition of "a lot".

toallmy
11-01-2020, 09:32 AM
One of the reasons for the poll was to get a feeling for the definition of "a lot".

With the new ammo shortage going on ( a lot ) could mean a box or so a month being extreme .
When I look in the ammo storage area I think I'm more of a loader then a shooter right now but that changes seasonally .

fatnhappy
11-03-2020, 12:41 PM
I wish I had more time to shoot.

Hossfly
11-15-2020, 02:56 PM
I’ll be glad when hunting season is over so I can go back to shooting.

Win94ae
11-15-2020, 03:53 PM
I'm with the majority of "shooters" here; I shoot every day. I would be sick to my stomach if I shot more than I do now, which is too much already. I'd like to get down to less than 10,000; but it seems I am always load developing or whatnot; which adds up a lot quicker than you think.

Lloyd Smale
11-18-2020, 07:39 AM
well i dont really keep track but i know i went through 6 bricks of small pistol 4 bricks of large pistol and 7 bricks of small rifle primers last year. That doesnt include the large rifle ive used in bolt guns or the large pistol mags because i dont use that many of them anymore. so conservatively i loaded 17k just last year so id guess im in the over 50k range and 10 years ago i shot competition and probably loaded twice that. Ill just say this. I wore out two 45 acp dillion square deal sizer dies in my square deal set up for 45s. rebuilt it three times. That press burned about 8 years ago in a fire along with my other square deals in 38 9 and 40. Ive had to rebuild them all at least once. The 38 square deal was bought from my buddy and he had rebuilt it twice before i bought it and we figured just that press between the two of us had loaded so many rounds that i wouldnt even give you the number we came up with because most would call me a lier but the number started with an M. When i shot competitive i figured a 1000 rounds a month per gun and shot 3 different guns. Glad to see theres some other serious shooters here. Some that even have me beat. If i posted this on some fourms id be called a lier.

MOA
11-18-2020, 09:04 AM
As with others I don't shoot as much as I used to. Time was my son and I fit in that 10K to 25K PER YEAR category. However, every round I shoot these days is done so with probably 5 times the concentration as in years past. Interests have changed and forming/turning/fire forming brass for obsolete and obscure cartridges takes a while. Consequently I don't have...or need...500 cases for my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod or 9 X 71 Peterlongo or 10.5 X 47R or any of a dozen or more others. I've also learned a LOT more about handloading, ballistics and cartridge/bullet combinations on game than I ever did just cranking out 45 Colt or 32-20 cartridges by the hundreds. It's been every bit as much fun, more fun actually....and a lot more educational.

I'll have to agree with you. I spend much less time loading and shooting the regular run-of-the mill calibers, I find more and more of my time spent learning and experimenting with old obsolete calibers. Fire forming, load development, along with the excuse to pick up another firearm chambered in some long ago cartridge is just to alluring. I rationalize it by telling myself it's just another growing phase in my casting education.

dverna
11-18-2020, 12:10 PM
I'll have to agree with you. I spend much less time loading and shooting the regular run-of-the mill calibers, I find more and more of my time spent learning and experimenting with old obsolete calibers. Fire forming, load development, along with the excuse to pick up another firearm chambered in some long ago cartridge is just to alluring. I rationalize it by telling myself it's just another growing phase in my casting education.

Your post reminded my of a saying my mentor had, "Do you have twenty years of experience or one years of experience twenty times over".

Lloyd Smale
11-19-2020, 07:29 AM
Your post reminded my of a saying my mentor had, "Do you have twenty years of experience or one years of experience twenty times over".

good many on the internet that fall into that second catagory. Amazing how gun savoy an internet search can make a guy!

MostlyLeverGuns
11-19-2020, 11:06 AM
Maybe the question should be how many HOURS do spend on the range, reloading cartridges/casting bullets, working on firearms vs 'on the web'. It takes longer to shoot 30 rounds thru a cap'n'ball pistol than running a hundred thru a high cap nine. Same with cowboy shooting, running a levergun at 20 yards is qite different than high power at 200, 300, 600 yards. Just walking back and forth to the 100 and 200 yard target is part of the time investment. Super high round counts at 7 yards, MEH.

stubshaft
11-19-2020, 11:20 PM
Since retirement and due to covid, my week consists of shooting and refilling cases. I was lucky enough to have a decent stockpile of components but have to confess my primer supply is running low.

Slugster
11-20-2020, 12:32 PM
I used to shoot a lot more than now. I stumbled over the Cast Boolits site, and now most of my time is spent casting and shooting test loads for various rifle and handgun calibers. Have been reloading for three decades various caliber handguns but have only recently begun serious shooting cast in rifles. I have to confess to being intrigued with cast in rifles.

Mal Paso
11-21-2020, 01:10 PM
Just walking back and forth to the 100 and 200 yard target is part of the time investment.

Exactly why you will never see me with a rifle or posting in a rifle thread. 25 yards is Plenty! Maybe Steel at 100 or 300, as long as I don't have to walk.

Baltimoreed
11-23-2020, 10:09 AM
I shot Saturday at ECSASS, my cas club near Manteo, NC, 120 rds of rifle and pistol and 24 rds of shotgun over 6 scenarios. Twelve shooters. We had a beautiful day and a good time. Did ok but need to work on my shotgun loading technique as I tried to shoot myself when I attempted to chamber a load backwards in my trusty old Marlin Model 24. Duh. Thinking that was the first time I’ve done that trick.

Winger Ed.
11-24-2020, 06:20 PM

I've run into that question a few times.

I'd tell 'em, 'Not everything is like flying a airplane where the more you do it, the better you get'.
Then I'd ask, 'Do ya think it took me 19 years to figure it out and then to do it right for 1 year,
or 1 year to figure out how to get it right, then do that for 19 years'?

Gunslinger1911
11-25-2020, 04:53 PM
I have slowed down this year, NOT my choice ! Stupid 'Rona!
But, as an example, I moved into my current house 5 years ago, started dumping spent primers into a gallon milk jug ............. I need another jug.
The little primer catcher thing on a Dillon 550 holds about 1000, I've dumped it twice some days.
I really need a 1050; but I have more time to spend than money. Haha

Mal Paso
11-28-2020, 12:54 PM
2016 I was shooting 1,000 rounds a month and could keep most shots inside 4" at 25 yards offhand. The Soberanes fire got me and rebuilding took the next few years. I was just getting back to the range when the pandemic hit. I am just getting back to shooting again and I am Awful!

Elmer did most of my load development. I've tried 296, #9, 4756, 4759, TiteGroup, Unique, 231, N350, Clays, MP-300, and others and always come back to 2400. I only load 44 Mag and only like to post what I know first hand.

Other calibers? JAMOM

Jtarm
12-05-2020, 01:24 PM
I run about 5-7K per year, almost all cast handgun, though I’ve been doing the AR thing lately.

onelight
12-14-2020, 01:55 PM
The question and choices infer that the measure of a shooter is how many rounds you pull the trigger on I know some folks that probably don't shoot 1k a year and are excellent marksman and shooters in my book . There is more to it than the no.of pounds of lead sent down range.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2020, 07:34 AM
The question and choices infer that the measure of a shooter is how many rounds you pull the trigger on I know some folks that probably don't shoot 1k a year and are excellent marksman and shooters in my book . There is more to it than the no.of pounds of lead sent down range.

yup some are born with natural abilitys. but there rare. Most of us have to sling lead and practice practice practice. Bottom line is even a pro football player goes to practice most days hes not playing. One other thing is "excellent marksman and shooters in my book" varys by the book. Ive met guys who consider themselves good shots because they havent missed a deer with there o6 out of a deer blind at 50 yards with a 9x scope. Bottom line is if you look at the BEST the ones that win completions. There not only naturals but ALSO sling lead. Id doubt you can show me one professional shooter on champion at any shooting sport that shoots less then a 1000 rounds a year. Now if your book is hitting beer cans at 15 yards with your 1911 or hitting a pie plate off hand at 75 yards with a rifle i will agree with you whole heartedly. Im not a natural. Its taken me 100s of thousands of rounds to get to being even a bit above average. If i dont shoot for a couple months i still find i have gotten a bit rusty. What ive found (and ive had the privilege to shoot with some of the best handgun shooters in the country) is that im the norm. Most naturals are legends in there own minds and the truth comes out when there standing on a line with 5 REALLY GOOD shooters. its a humbling experience. then you actually talk to them and find out NONE of them got that way shooting less then a 1000 rounds a year. Matter of fact few that shoot less then a 1000 rounds a month.

curiousgeorge
12-19-2020, 10:14 AM
As bad as this year has been overall, not travelling for pleasure or to visit grandkids 6 states away, being stuck around the house has actually increased my shooting this year closer to what I used to do 30-35 yrs ago.

I live 300 yds from my work and 1/4 mile from a small private 25, 50, 100 yd range. June, July, & August I would take 15 - 20 mins after I got off and would run by range. I have a lot of components acquired over the last 40 plus years, so I decided to shoot up some of them. Pull into the range with 3 or 4 wheelguns already loaded (and maybe 1 reload), 2 rifles with 6 to 10 rds each, put up two 25 yd pistol targets and a 50 yd rifle target with 4 sight-in bullseyes, and go to it. Shot about 50-60 rds of rifle and 125-150 rds of revolver every week. All revolver offhand, all rifle either offhand or 1 sandbag and me standing at back corner of truck. Cleaned a lot of rust off my shooting skills and discovered that my arthritic hands don't care much for some of the 'Mastadon killer' loads I used to shoot in 44 mag and 45 colt.

I cast and load for 32 h&r mag, 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 acp, 45 colt, 30-30, 30-06, 7.65x53 belgian, 8mm mauser, 35 whelen, 444 marlin, 45-70. In the process of doing this I also used up all the odd piece of boxes of factory ammo and old reloads. Helped me to decide to sell a bunch of guns and/or calibers that I realized I didn't shoot.

I'm not a competitive shooter. Just love to tinker, experiment, load, shoot, and hunt. Took a 9 point buck at 50 yds with him trotting through the woods this fall. Shot was offhand and hurried. DRT, so summer practice couldn't have hurt.

robg
12-22-2020, 09:18 AM
usual shoot 50 centerfire rounds a week and 100 rf but this year we have had so many lock downs only shot half as often and not been able to get out over our land we have permission to shoot over.

onelight
12-23-2020, 11:07 AM
I shoot 100 to 200 rounds twice a week cause I like to , but if I limit myself to 50 rounds a session my average group size is much smaller and I improve after about 50 I start to get impatient and lazy with trigger and sights and don't do as well I admire you guys that can maintain your concentration for hundreds of rounds a session :awesome:

mike4045
12-23-2020, 09:49 PM
A majority of my shooting is pistol for both IDPA and USPSA, also getting more involved in PRS rifle shooting, lots of reloading to enjoy the hobbies.

Burnt Fingers
12-28-2020, 03:38 PM
I loaded right at 40k this year alone. Most of it 9mm, then 45 ACP, then 300 Blackout. Also some 10mm, 327 FM.

badguybuster
02-14-2021, 09:05 AM
I shoot mainly as an excuse to reload. I love the science of developing loads. Plus, for me its like reading...i can get lost in what I am doing and tune the world out

OS OK
11-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Don...that's a hard question to answer. Certainly this past two years where I've been consumed with the .22lr BR I've only loaded maybe 500 rounds, just haven't been shooting the centerfires. Before the BR I was consumed with the 1911 and I was burning through 200 rounds a week easy, before that is just too long ago to remember.
In the last 10 years I really haven't a clue, at this age my memory is about as short as my...well, my...'little finger' so I'll have to guess on the conservative side and say less than 10K.

toallmy
11-27-2021, 08:05 AM
Although I consider myself a shooter , I know I'm not a very good one , but that's ok I have got better at missing by just a little .
Enjoy yourselves & be safe

jaysouth
11-30-2021, 12:01 PM
I have had to scale back my shooting because of the scarcity of components. My main noisemakers were a couple of AR-15s. I changed over to a Thompson Encore single shot. Ammo lasts a lot longer now and I actually get to be a better shot by not having a quick 2d shot.

Mytmousemalibu
11-30-2021, 02:20 PM
As a USPSA competitor, a pre-coof season was about a 30,000rd average. That has dropped dramatically with not shooting & practicing to conserve resources.

Baltimoreed
12-03-2021, 08:36 PM
I reload ammo as I shoot up ammo. Simple. Hoping to shoot some zombies tomorrow at a ZSA match. Hadn’t shot one of these critters since before the lockdown. Planning on using my .45 greasegun mag pcc. Should be a nice day.

Jtarm
12-05-2021, 03:46 PM
I shoot about 5K rounds of reloads per year (in my back yard). The majority are cast bullets in handguns and rifles.

Same here.

Except not in my back yard.

rmark
12-19-2021, 10:19 AM
With muzzleloaders and single shot rifles my round count is low, with 400 grain bullets I prefer it that way :)

JohnH
12-22-2021, 09:15 PM
I've bought 12 bricks of primers since the pandemic panic started. That's just enough to fill my ordinary needs. I don't have enough money to stockpile at current prices.

trails4u
12-23-2021, 01:16 AM
Am I a 'shooter'? Yes...I like to hit what I aim at. Do I load/shoot 10s of thousands of rounds/year, no...not even in that ballpark. But most of what I shoot is 140+ yrs. old and single shot BP, so doesn't really warrant the load count of some... I do shoot a bit of pistol, albeit very poorly by comparison to some of ya'll... Minute of center mass is my requirement there...

warren5421
01-01-2022, 02:43 PM
I have a 200 yard range at my house so there are few days I don't put 200 + down range. I shoot mostly black powder so my down range is going to change as Goex is stopping production. I can and have used the AR platform but I like the .38-55 and .45-70 best, either lever, Sharps or High Wall. The .44-40 is pistol with a lever or pump rifle in same caliber.

guzma393
01-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Started reloading 2 years ago when I picked up a good deal off some guy quitting reloading on CL. Just an avid regular at the local range I am a member in. Probably loaded up over 20k rounds since then. Definitely puts the perspective of "you don't really save money in reloading, you just shoot more" as I left my factory ammo stockpile alone, but my reload stocks are always in constant rotation.

jonp
01-03-2022, 06:17 PM
I reload far more handgun than rifle as I can shoot my handguns in the backyard. I just prefer handguns to plink with over rifles. Since I started casting I shoot more 38sp than anything although I cast for all my stuff.

jonp
01-03-2022, 06:24 PM

Well, since joining this sight I'm with you here. I like to find something odd and say to myself "I bet I can cast and reload that somehow". Somehow the "ammunition not currently in production or obsolete" is just a challenge not a deal breaker

WinchesterM1
01-03-2022, 08:39 PM
I shoot guns for a living for 7 gun magazines so I shoot honestly 2-3k per month just for work…anyone who says shooting can’t get boring has obviously never shot 8-900 rounds mundanely into a back stop to get “just the right picture” shooting the same polymer gun made by a different company…blah blah, last November I did a year round up and shot 27 pistols (all 9mm) and in one day me and 3 of my friends went through 6300 rounds of 9mm…. I stopped picking up the brass after I got my 8th 5 gallon bucket of 9mm…294032294034294033

Guncrank
01-06-2022, 12:36 PM
A couple of shooting buddys and I have for the last five to seven years fallen into the habbit of meeting at the range twice a month, weather and schedules permitting. We'll usually send around 300 bitter-pills (each) into the berm, give or take a hundred. A lot more fun than chasing after a damnable little ball with a stick!

Alferd Packer
01-12-2022, 05:52 AM
Reading this thread reminds me of some wartime estimates wherein they estimated6 it took a 100, 000 or some large number of bullets, bombs, arty shells etc. to account for taking out each enemy soldier.
All this loading and shooting is amazing to read about here on the internet.
I have no doubt that many were bullseye shots thru the same hole even.
I love to shoot, reload, cast my own bullets and many times loading experimental loads using all sorts of materials,load pressures and many different calibers.
I admit to slowing up a bit, but only because of aging body parts like many of us.
I never tire of the shooting sports and love to talk and read about it as well.
Keep up the good work!

trails4u
01-20-2022, 01:33 AM
I shot a metal leg off the sunscreen of my chrony today trying to figure out my son's G19 with hollowpoints.....does that count?

Outpost75
01-20-2022, 11:40 PM
I have no need to load new ammo as I am using stockpiled 5 gallon buckets of .38 Special and .45 ACP I put up when Reagan was in the White House and I have ample supplies of '06 in Garand clips. Today all I do is decap, tumble-clean, size and put up primed brass for future use.

dverna
01-21-2022, 03:29 PM
I have no need to load new ammo as I am using stockpiled 5 gallon buckets of .38 Special and .45 ACP I put up when Reagan was in the White House and I have ample supplies of '06 in Garand clips. Today all I do is decap, tumble-clean, size and put up primed brass for future use.

I would not want to mess with a guy that can move a 5 gallon pail full of .45's.

rintinglen
01-27-2022, 08:05 PM
My shooting is down, due to the increased distance to the range (45+ mins, versus 7) and a concern that I am using up irreplaceable components, primarily primers. I have about 35,000, but I have seen exactly ZERO for sale at any price. Consequently, What was 400+ a month habit is now more like 100-150. I am shooting more 22 LR, but it has been available at ~.07 a round in the last few months and I was sitting on about 20k, so that has been no worry.

Greg S
02-04-2022, 10:23 PM
Work has a tendency to get into my primer usage seriously the past three years, probably under 2000 rds a year x 3. Previously, since the turn of the century may e 5-10 K and mid 90s to double ought 25-50k shootingcompetitive clay games. Got a couple to 4 years till I pull the pin then I'll have more time.

Daekar
07-16-2022, 08:56 PM
I would like to break the 5k a year mark, but until the primer prices come down I'm not going to be able to swing it. I will probably not break 1k this year unless your count 22LR.

Things are looking better though, everything is available locally at reasonable prices EXCEPT for primers.

BLAHUT
07-16-2022, 10:50 PM
in the last few years it has been a little over 5 tons of lead and about 16 - 8lb gugs of blackhorn, shot-still have 3 gugs on the shelf and about 800lbs of lead, not to mention all the other loads of jacked bullets.