PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Threads

jimkim
10-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Now that Lyman has discontinued the 310 dies I was wondering if it would be possible to turn down a regular die and chase the 5/8-30 threads on it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

country gent
10-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Its going to depend on the actual die set. Getting past the hardened outer surface will be the big issue, In a heavier machine you could even thread with carbide and do it. Turning it down and a die no.... I have faced dies to set head space for tight chambered rifles they are hard on the surface some clear thru.Wall thickness will be thin on some calibers.A 635 dia - the thread depth of ,060 with a .473 case body dosnt leave much.

too many things
10-21-2020, 07:29 PM
well good luck best to hit feebay

Pressman
10-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Jim, first you need to locate the correct die and tap, then see if you really want to invest that much money. Lyman uses a very unique thread that's a holdover from the late 1800's. It's not a true 5/8" but .6075"x30 tpi. The taps and dies are available, but not so cheap.

Ken

megasupermagnum
10-21-2020, 07:43 PM
I doubt you are going to be able to get any kind of hand tool to turn 7/8" into 5/8" threads. If I were to do it, I would turn it down, and thread it both on a lathe. My guess is 310 dies will be easy enough to find for a long time. When they aren't, a Lee hand press that takes 7/8" dies would be a lot easier and cheaper than modifying them to fit the Lyman tool.

1hole
10-21-2020, 07:46 PM
The 310s were made to neck size so you couldn't use a conventional FL die even if you could get it threaded.

My limited experience working with case hardened FL dies in a lathe tells me your idea won't work, the dies are too hard. It might work IF you could anneal the cased skin but if it's an air hardened steel even that might leave it impossibly hard.

cstrickland
10-21-2020, 08:04 PM
agreed with others . the only way I see it possible is with proper tooling and a good lathe. We have hard turned up to about 62 HRC on our Mori Seki and Romi . While on the lathe its best just to have it threaded as well. You could then re-case it and hope the threads dont move and get tight. So yes it would be doable but practicality may cross it off the list . As stated a lee hand press is a much less expensive option

bangerjim
10-21-2020, 08:04 PM
Your question is easily answered with a quick change metal lathe........just set the 2 levers to the correct TPI and cut away!!!!!

Not dies or taps needed. That’s why I have one. Any thread imaginable to man is easily done.

Banger

John Wayne
10-21-2020, 08:13 PM
These responses are what make this site world class. Good people that take their wisdom and experience and use it to help others. In my opinion there is nothing more noble than giving your time to help others! And the Pressman...I can't even dream up words fine enough to compliment his contribution.
Thank You!

ulav8r
10-21-2020, 10:37 PM
Most quick change gear boxes will not do 30 tpi, some will. A cnc lathe will do it, no problem.

Lead pot
10-21-2020, 11:32 PM
Or check with the 310 shop to see if he can help you. https://the310shop.net/products/
I have bushings he made for me to swap dies around. I use his tools and dies for my .44-77 and other BPCR's

megasupermagnum
10-21-2020, 11:46 PM
Most quick change gear boxes will not do 30 tpi, some will. A cnc lathe will do it, no problem.

You might have a point. I'm no machinist, I have two lathes at work. I just checked the chart. One will do 28, but not 30. The Hardinge will do 30 TPI. As for the hardness, I've machined a few Lee dies. They are certainly hard, but not case hardened. I went slow, a little coolant, and things turned out fine. I've never tried to thread one though.

AntiqueSledMan
10-22-2020, 06:32 AM
They could be turned & re-threaded, but you will need carbide.
Probably going to need to set up a live center on the end to keep it centered.
A little more than chasing, but definitely possible.

AntiqueSledMan.