PDA

View Full Version : Do paper patches come off like a sabot?

CTI1USNRET
10-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Do paper patches come off like a sabot when fired?

pworley1
10-20-2020, 01:54 PM
They should turn into confetti when the bullet leaves the barrel.

rfd
10-20-2020, 02:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XT9Cekqb_M

country gent
10-20-2020, 03:10 PM
I like that short video RFD. Shows a lot more easier than it can be explained in words.

On a dead calm day I recover the under wrap of the patch about 3-5' in front o the barrel The confetti from the outer wrap is in the same area, Examination of the recovered patches can tell you a lot about how the load is doing. On most of my loads the inner wrap isnt cut but does show engraving impressions on it. The fold under is clean . I wrap tail less. Ideally you want the patch to release as close to the muzzle as possible.

scattershot
10-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Does it matter which way the paper is rolled on?

rfd
10-20-2020, 03:44 PM
Does it matter which way the paper is rolled on?

some say yes, some no. the late paul mathews, a guru of the PPB, sez it doesn't matter. i wrap counter to the rifling, just in case it does matter. :)

Chemoman
10-21-2020, 10:04 AM
my chase one wrap from 18 pound paper comes off in one piece. their are slashes in it from the lands but it stays in one piece. it comes of the instant the bullet leaves the muzzle.

Good Cheer
10-26-2020, 05:27 AM
And sometimes you recover boolits and they have some paper on them. The less violent the action the paper is subjected to the more likely some may cling.

With .69 caliber (three grooves of width equal to the lands) I found the patch material in front of the bench to give good indications of how the paper was performing. That it would fail right at the base of the boolits kinda surprised me and gave me a clue as how to remedy the situation.

Good Cheer
10-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Oh, speaking of remedies, if anyone knows of a lubrication mix that will help paper resist the fiction of the bore please do speak up.
I'll go post in the muzzle loading section.

martinibelgian
11-01-2020, 03:38 AM
Nothing seems to work quite well. If you have issues with the paper, it more likely is due to gas cutting, not to friction of the paper in the bore.

Oyeboten
11-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Oh, speaking of remedies, if anyone knows of a lubrication mix that will help paper resist the fiction of the bore please do speak up.
I'll go post in the muzzle loading section.

I wonder if some of the Aerosol 'Dry Lubes' would be worth trying?

martinibelgian
11-03-2020, 05:27 AM
The scorching of the paper isn't due to friction, but rather to gas cutting, so one should take measures to avoid it. Putting something on the pp is just dealing with consequences, not the cause. A better overpowder wad is a much better solution.

rogn
03-24-2021, 11:58 AM
The video is quite interesting in that the bullet exits the bore "clean" without the puff smoke seen with almost all videos showing the firing of a bullet. I guess when you put a bore fitting "cork" in the barrel there is no leakage past the bullet.Could only contribute to accuracy and velocity, I'd guess.

LynC2
03-24-2021, 02:43 PM
The video is quite interesting in that the bullet exits the bore "clean" without the puff smoke seen with almost all videos showing the firing of a bullet. I guess when you put a bore fitting "cork" in the barrel there is no leakage past the bullet.Could only contribute to accuracy and velocity, I'd guess.

Excellent observation, definitely a good indication of a good seal in the bore.

rfd
03-24-2021, 07:10 PM
Excellent observation, definitely a good indication of a good seal in the bore.

And why LDPE wads are so good. ;)

YippyKiYay
05-20-2021, 09:13 PM
Late to the party, but I've shot a few PP boolits and watched more shot, the confetti is like a small parade. Cute.

country gent
05-20-2021, 09:37 PM
I use JoJoba oil to lube the patch after its wrapped on, A small drop on thumb index finger and middle, wipe 5 then use a cleaning patch to remove any excess. You dont want the wet look just a shine or gleam.

TNsailorman
05-20-2021, 11:53 PM
I noticed that the bullet in the video yawed a little and then settled down after the paper patch came off. Is this normal and does it effect accuracy? This is the firswt time I have ever seen a video of a paper patch bullet. james

Don McDowell
05-21-2021, 10:09 AM
I'm not so sure that what appears to be yaw, isn't more of an affect of camera angle.
Accuracy with patched bullets, assuming good bullet fit to the chamber and bore, and a paper that will shred on it's trip thru the rifling, and of course accuracy of the powder charge, fouling control etc., paper patch will shoot just as accurately as any other type of bullet, if not better.

John Boy
05-23-2021, 01:55 PM
Good Cheer ... I used Rooster Jacket lube on my paper, a light swipe with the finger seems to provide results

Skipper
05-24-2021, 06:26 PM
Good Cheer ... I used Rooster Jacket lube on my paper, a light swipe with the finger seems to provide results

Same here. I thin it with mineral spirits.

Kenny Wasserburger
05-27-2021, 12:01 PM
283558I put absolutely nothing on my patches, see no reason to.